What Does This Mean?

Forkinhades

ไอ้เหี้ย or ai hiia is definitely a major insult and I would recommend not using it at anytime. It refers to a monitor lizard and generally means "creep, a despicable or bad person, a worthless character" The alternate spelling is เฮี่ย

Probably what you have heard is ไอ้เหี้ย > ai[F] hiia[F]

It's a rude insult, and really offensive.

ไอ้ can be translated as "dam_n", used as a vulgar prefix for insult (when insulting a male?)

เหี้ย means something like "bad person" "creepie person"

If you hear friends (young people) using these expression between each other it still vulgar, but not has the same insulting meaning intended

Hey, did somebody edit the spelling of the previous post. It changed.

If you mean c... then that would be the forum profanity filters.

Strange that crude English words are edited but Thai words that are considered just as crude are left alone! :o

Even though Thaivisa is a forum about Thailand, it is still an English language forum mainly run by English speakers and the forum software only reflects this fact.

The number of Thai curse words on the board is rather limited and the number of people who would be able to program such a curse filter is probably limited as well. It is true the need could arise from time to time in this subforum. If such a day comes, we'll take up a discussion about it.

Personally I believe people should have knowledge of all aspects of a language, but would never recommend using offensive curses. This is why topics like this stay as long as they don't degenerate completely.

Personally I believe people should have knowledge of all aspects of a language, but would never recommend using offensive curses.

I would say that it is important to know what words not to use as well as those used normally. For example, if you hear an inappropriate word on the street and try to use it with someone else in the context it was used without knowing the proper use (or disuse) of it you could find yourself in a problem situation. I've never used the above word and never will but having it in my vocabulary is still useful in protecting myself.

Many years ago I used to go to night clubs with stand up comics and learned a lot of inappropriate words. :o Most I have never heard outside of the stage due to the nastiness of them.

Even though Thaivisa is a forum about Thailand, it is still an English language forum mainly run by English speakers and the forum software only reflects this fact.

The number of Thai curse words on the board is rather limited and the number of people who would be able to program such a curse filter is probably limited as well. It is true the need could arise from time to time in this subforum. If such a day comes, we'll take up a discussion about it.

Personally I believe people should have knowledge of all aspects of a language, but would never recommend using offensive curses. This is why topics like this stay as long as they don't degenerate completely.

Thanks for the explanation, Meadish. :o

The forum software automatically put an underline between the n and the t so that people searching the Internet for the unchanged word will not be served up your post.

--

Maestro

The forum software automatically put an underline between the n and the t so that people searching the Internet for the unchanged word will not be served up your post.

--

Maestro

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought there was some patronizing censorship method, to treat people like little children, which would be outrageous and unforgivable on a language forum - where all words should be embraced and celebrated.

But, the search-engine explanation does make sense.

Cheers.