Need 1 Year Visa Extension - What Options?

I recently got divorced from my Thai wife. That was the good news! The bad news is that my new status puts me in a predicament as to how to extend my existing non-immigrant ED visa for a further year. I do have a son from our marriage, so once I'm 50 years old next year, I can apply for a 1 year extension based on that criteria, (and no proof of income is required). But just for the next year I need to find a solution which will extend my existing visa. (I want an extension because I want PR in the future. Even if I am not yet paying tax, not breaking my visa extension status puts me a little closer to being able to apply for PR).

I don't have an existing Thai company, so cannot extend based on employment. As far as I can tell, the only solution is to sign up again for a university course, and get the visa extension based on that criteria. Is this correct?

I have completed 50% of my MA at Chula, but I have had to postpone completion of my studies due to the high course fees! However, such postponement is allowed by the Chula regulations.

Do the Thai language school courses provide a 1 year extension, or is it a 90 day extension that is renewed every 90 days?

Are there any courses in Phuket? The degree course fees at Prince of Songkhla University here in Phuket are also high for non-Thai students.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Simon

Thai language do not receive one year extensions of stay - although they can provide continuous extensions of stay so it is not clear if that would satisfy the three year PR application requirements.

Another option is to vind volunteer work with a recognised charity or a (government) school. With their help you can apply for a visa and the workpermit they will need. However make sure that they ar willing to help you with a visa and workpermit. It requires some paperwork and not every organisation is willing to do that, as they don't know how to.

Hi Mario, yes that's another option that I'm considering. I am qualified (apparently!) to teach English. so I could work as a volunteer teacher for the local government school, get a WP on that basis, (with me presumably paying the WP fees), and then apply for a visa extension based on this volunteer work? does that sound correct? Or does one have to be a volunteer with a registered charity?

It's very frustrating, especially since the exwife has offered to remarry me if it helps me to get my visa extension!! I think I would prefer to marry a different woman if I were to marry at all! :o

Simon

Actually when I read the requirements on the Immigration website and Sunbelt's transaltion, no mention seems to be made for voluntter work. It's simply defined as working for a public charity etc. Hmm - I need to look deeper into this.....

Edited by simon43

A government school is fine. I work my self as a volunteer at a government school. Regarding you having to pay for the WP is a question of negotiation with the school. The schools I have worked for always have paid them for me. The fee is currently 3,100 baht.

Just make sure the school is willing to do the required paperwork and know how to do it. It isn't that difficult and I had always great cooperation by the local labour office.

Hi Astral - that solution is my last option because I do not want to stop my existing visa. I am just finishing a 1 year visa extension and I want to maintain this visa extension to support my PR application, (yes I still have to pay at least 2 years of taxes...)

Mario - are you sure that working as a volunteer teacher in a government school will facilitate a 1-year visa extension? What about this requirement for a class 10 rank (who is this?) government sector person to sign the application?

Edit - Actually, having looked again at Sunbelt's translation of the relevant regulations, it looks like section 7.5 applies (being a teacher in a government school etc). The fact that I might be working for zero baht seems irrelevant, (I have to state my salary but no minimum level is quoted). It looks like that as long as I have a WP and letter from the school requesting my extension, then I should be ok...

Now I need to ask in the Teaching Forum whether there are any recent additional requirements, such as criminal record check, teacher's licence, birth certificate of my pet dog etc.....

Simon

Edited by simon43

Don't worry. I'm here as a volunteer teacher on a non-immigrant as well, with yearly extensions. The rule class 10 rank means that you don't only need the paperwork from the director of the school but also a letter from the director of the school district of your province.

The visa you will get depends on wether you will get paid or not. The rule under 7.5 is for a paid teacher and will get you a Non-B. Under 7.20 you will get a non-O. As you said you quallify to be a teacher you can choose if you wnat to work as a volunteer or as a paid teacher. Of course if you want residency they will aso look at your social activities to determine if you are an asset to the great of the country. Volunteer work might help in that regard.

Regarding your qualifications, currently you only need a bachelor degree in any field. The teacherslicense is not yet a requirement, but is expected to be one for the next school year. However the rules are still not clear. For more information check here:

http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/rulesandregulations.htm

Hi Mario, that's very interesting information. did you get a 1 year visa extension (with a letter from your class 10 ranking guy)? I presume your school is a government school. what province and how many hours do you work etc? From reading the teaching forum it seems that the TL requirements can be deferred for a year whilst one is taking action to meet these criteria etc.

Do PM me if you have any useful details!

Thanks again

Simon