Karaoke? Sexy Time?

Hi Guys

Just wondering if KARAOKE (singing,danicing onstage) means that in Phuket? me and my boyfriend went to Bali last yr and got in a taxi and said can you take us to a karaoke bar please after a few weird looks and him repeating what we had said about 5 times he agreed and took us to a building about 10 min drive.. until we got in the building and there was a wall lined up with girls ho;lding numbers and a room behind them it was a prostitute hall. not cool!

So yes we left and dont plan on making the same mistake in phuket.

so can anyone suggest a good KARAOKE bar in patong where people sing ect hehe

a lot of karaoke joints in thailand double as sex places... but not all. not sure how you tell the difference- i guess it would be whether the girls are overly friendly and expecting you to buy drinks for them or not!

There are a few little bars here on Koh Phangan that are strictly karaoke. So, I guess look for a place with no girls at all, as these places really are just a little restaurant/bar with a karaoke machine.

this topic might be better off in the Phuket forum. I can move it there if you'd like

Singing kareoke is also a euphamism for something else (like so many words and phrases here). Just think about holding the microphone and you will get the picture. Many kareoke joints and massage parlours are actually brothels catering for Thais. The 'girl bars' are for farangs. Unless you can work out how to say a 'real really genuine kareoke bar" in Thai may be best to leave it to save embaresment!

Not sure about in your area, but there are karaoke places in Bangkok that are for singing.

Major Bowl has karaoke in many of its bowling places and there are some big places here that look like they could be chains that may have a location there: Big Echo and R&B karaoke are the ones that come to mind.

Also in Ayutthaya - in fact, most restaurants have a karaoke machine and a microphone.

Ask at your hotel or guesthouse, or serving staff, someone will know where one is. That's what I do when I'm in a strange Thai city and desperately need my karaoke fix!

Unless you can work out how to say a 'real really genuine kareoke bar' in Thai may be best to leave it to save embaresment

I can't believe sometimes how clueless most people are about the basics in Thailand.. (Not a rant at mssabai, this just happened to be the post I clicked 'reply' on. Sorry it had to be you.:D ) .

Some common sense:

1. Karaoke is very popular in Thailand, also with young people (m/f) going out to hang out and sing.

2. How to find a good karaoke place in ANY city in Thailand: ASK a random young person (female, preferably) who looks like she enjoys her fashion and partying. Shopping malls work well for this, or any trendy-ish shop really like all the coffee shops and so on, or office workers, etc. So in short you need to seek out younger middle class people who would know good places to go out; another advantage is that those people tend to speak English well enough. Now, I have been in Phuket just once in my life but I think it would be safe to say that the best chance at finding the best karaoke in that place would be somewhere in or around Phuket town. The worst place probably being Patong beach et al; again I don't know this but the most likely place you'd end up there is something geared towards Asian men.

3. You do NOT want to be anywhere near Asian men in a karaoke. :o

4. It's quite common for a group of young Thais (m/f) going out to rent out a room in a karaoke place. This makes for a fun cosey and private environment, as well as being away from drunk Asian men. (see #3). So actually by far the best advice probably is make some local friends (m/f/farang/thai/..) and go as a group to one of the karaoke places that's popular in the city/province you happen to be in.

Carry on. :D

One more: It's quite common also for legitimate and popular karaoke places to ALSO have some girls outside and/or around the premises dressed in shiny dresses you would positively never want to be cought dead in.

This in itself should not cause undue alarm; just like how 'restaurants' have waitresses to bring food to you, many karaokes have hostesses to sing with. It's Asia; get over it. :o

(Of course when coming with a group, you wouldn't require additional people to sing with.)

Finally: Just in case, always scope out the costs: How much for the room, for the drinks, etc, etc. etc. The modus operandi will be to buy a bottle of the usual types of Whiskey, like 100 Pipers (#($**# CURSES!!), Johnny Walker and so on. It is however common to bring a bottle of something or another, so if you prefer some nice wine, Vodka, etc. then you'll have to bring it. Fortunately liquor stores tend to be located near popular karaokes.

• 1 year later...
Considering the OP asked the question in June last year..im guessing she found out by now. :)

I've been to some real karaoke inside the shopping centres, like anywhere with a Robinsons or maybe even upstairs at MBK. In Patong im guessing you could go to Junceylon.