Bangkok To Promote Bike Riding To Save Energy

george

Bangkok to promote bike riding to save energy

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) -- the Thai capital's 'city hall' -- is making dedicated bicycle lanes in congested business areas and plans to launch bicycle operating licenses to promote safe bike riding and to save energy.

Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin said that 1.2-metre bike lanes are being made in new landscaping plans for business areas, especially connecting Sathorn and Rama IV.

The BMA says it plans to encourage Bangkokians to use bicycles and will work with the national government's Land Transport Department to issue bicycle licenses to encourage drivers to operate their bikes safely.

Mr. Apirak said he would launch the bicycle campaign at Lumpini Park on Wednesday.

He added that city hall will coordinate with the national government's Fine Arts Department to conduct a survey around Rattanakosin Island, the old city area for conservation of historic sites.

City hall will also work with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) to acquire advice and expertise on the conservation of historic sites.

The BMA will also designate special routes for Buddhists to offer food to monks on their morning rounds, and intends to beautify business and tourist areas in the Silom and Sathorn central business district.

--TNA 2008-06-17

Maybe it's actually an air purification program, the bikers are supposed to act as free mobile dust/smog inhalers...seriously, who in their right mind would drive a bike down a Bangkok main road? In sois or moobans yes, but there is no traffic there anyway. All someone would need is a whiff of Klongtoey market from a bike to put them off that idea for good.

The bike lane of 10km or more under the Ekamai-Ram Intra Expressway is now an unofficial short cut for motorbikes and somewhere for the police to park.

Dream on if you think this new scheme will be different in any way.

Bangkok to promote bike riding to save energy

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) -- the Thai capital's 'city hall' -- is making dedicated bicycle lanes in congested business areas and plans to launch bicycle operating licenses to promote safe bike riding and to save energy.

Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin said that 1.2-metre bike lanes are being made in new landscaping plans for business areas, especially connecting Sathorn and Rama IV.

The BMA says it plans to encourage Bangkokians to use bicycles and will work with the national government's Land Transport Department to issue bicycle licenses to encourage drivers to operate their bikes safely.

Mr. Apirak said he would launch the bicycle campaign at Lumpini Park on Wednesday.

He added that city hall will coordinate with the national government's Fine Arts Department to conduct a survey around Rattanakosin Island, the old city area for conservation of historic sites.

City hall will also work with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) to acquire advice and expertise on the conservation of historic sites.

The BMA will also designate special routes for Buddhists to offer food to monks on their morning rounds, and intends to beautify business and tourist areas in the Silom and Sathorn central business district.

They could always try this :o

http://www.thebikeboutique.com/green-programs.php

http://www.thebikeboutique.com/bikelodging.php

Ha Ha!!!

What a laugh!!!

Rode my bicycle from Thonburi (Wongwien Yai) to Sukhumvit (Asoke) daily for three years from 1996 to 1999. Was the best thing I ever did. Was able to avoid traffic from Skytrain construction. Cut my travel time by half. When I drove my car to work, it took me more than an hour to get to work. On my bicycle, it took me only 25 to 30 minutes.

Even saw Taksin one time standing at the police box near the Jusmag building when he was put in charge of trying to fix the traffic system in Bkk.

Problem with biking to work is finding a decent place to freshen up (i.e. take a shower) before stepping into the office. Fortunately, there was one such shower at the office.

Most Bkk residents think that their bicycle is just an exercise machine. They do not associate the bicycle as an alternative means of transportation.

Just like the mo'cy licenses encourage people to ride safely. :o

Another meaningless photo opportunity for Bangkok's hot air generator to appear to be doing something without actually doing anything except getting some free publicity.

I also giggle every time I see those sporadic white lines painted here and there on Sukumvit/other pedestrian walks. Big gaps, no place for people to walk, a pole or food stand in the middle or whatever. Remember seeing some photos of them here a year back?

Also recall reading in BKK post that "free/loan" bicycles would be made available for commuters at several train station Incl. Lumpini station starting in April 2008..... Still waiting... (and get ready for a motocycle strike if that happened...).

Cheers!

Well anybody with half a brain knows that this ïdea" is nothing more than a stunt, a chance for a photo opportunity, and the sycophants to say what a great bloke this pretty face, waste of space, is. They have had these stupid white lines down Rajadamri Road for 4 to 5 years and are just a kill zone for the motor cycles. Another appauling waste of taxpayers hard earned dosh. A pox on em all.

bicycle operating licenses to promote safe bike riding

Anyone with a clue of what does it mean ? Safe biking only if licensed ....

I just bought a horse, do i need a license too, can I ride my horse on bike lanes, so many unanswered questions ...

This oil price going through the roof is really getting the best out of civil servants in this neck of the woods.

The biggest concern I have with this is educating cyclists and motorists on bicycle safety and the rules of riding on city streets. As it is, cars barely follow traffic laws in BKK. I'm terrified to think of what would happen if a few hundred thousand bicycles hit the roads. Where I live there is very active bicycle advocacy and education, but still I occasionally see cyclists riding on the wrong side of the road. Not to mention cyclists blatantly running red lights and stop signs, failing to signal turns, and violating right-of-way laws. These problems are practically rampant. Of course, they are always the ones who don't wear a helmet, don't keep their bikes in a good state of repair, and don't have lights or reflectors for riding at night time.

Without proper education and well-enforced laws, this is a disaster waiting to happen. As for the BIB not having opportunities to collect "tea money" from cyclists -- on the contrary, there shall be plenty.

On the other hand, if it could be done well, it would be great.