Confusion On 30 Day Tourist Entries, Up To 90 Days W/i 6 Months

I don't think anyone intentionally gave out wrong information, but someone posted a tourist from the exempted countries is allowed "3 x 30 day entries". But according to the link for the Thai government's pdf file on the subject, dated 2006, they state: "not exceeding 30 days per stay, total period not exceeding 90 days within six months, of first entry".

These are two very different opinions.

The Thai site doesn't say there is a MAXIMUM of 3 thirty day entries.

Am I correct to presume that I can go, as a tourist from Thailand to, for example, to neighboring countries, say FIVE TIMES, for a period of say TEN DAYS EACH TRIP, for a total of 50 days outside of Thailand?

I suppose what I'm asking is there a MAXIMUM number of times you can continue to get the 30 day entries, considering that one may not use the full 30 days each time. If I use say 15 days OF the 30 days each time, can I continue to go in and out of Thailand MORE than three times?

...Am I correct to presume that I can go, as a tourist from Thailand to, for example, to neighboring countries, say FIVE TIMES, for a period of say TEN DAYS EACH TRIP, for a total of 50 days outside of Thailand?...

Yes, this is correct. There is no limit to the number of entries, but you are limited to a maximum of 90 days of visa-exempt stays within a 6-month period.

The only drawback you will find is the delay at the immigration counter as the officer is trying to work out when your current 6-month period started and how many visa-exempt days you have already used up during this period. The more entries you have, the longer the delay.

--

Maestro

...Am I correct to presume that I can go, as a tourist from Thailand to, for example, to neighboring countries, say FIVE TIMES, for a period of say TEN DAYS EACH TRIP, for a total of 50 days outside of Thailand?...

Yes, this is correct. There is no limit to the number of entries, but you are limited to a maximum of 90 days of visa-exempt stays within a 6-month period.

The only drawback you will find is the delay at the immigration counter as the officer is trying to work out when your current 6-month period started and how many visa-exempt days you have already used up during this period. The more entries you have, the longer the delay.

--

Maestro

OK, and am I correct that the immigration officer will only go back SIX MONTHS, to check on the 90 day limit, and not be concerned about all the 60 day tourist visas over the last few years?

And is there any need to get a new passport, simply to have one that is "clean" with fewer Thai visa full page stickers in the passport, or does that make NO DIFFERENCE?

Correct, the 60-day tourist visas do not count against the limit of 90 days visa-exempt stay within 6 months.

No need to get a new passport. It would not be worth the trouble and expense just to get through immigration a few minutes faster. Anyway, all your previous entries to Thailand are on the computer and it would make no difference to the time it takes the immigration officer to add everything up.

--

Maestro

Correct, the 60-day tourist visas do not count against the limit of 90 days visa-exempt stay within 6 months.

No need to get a new passport. It would not be worth the trouble and expense just to get through immigration a few minutes faster. Anyway, all your previous entries to Thailand are on the computer and it would make no difference to the time it takes the immigration officer to add everything up.

--

Maestro

Hello, some very important clarification needed please! I guess I am not sure of the definition of a "visa-exempt" stay. My understanding had been from extensive study that the 90 day limitation was only applicable for tourists entering Thailand WITH NO VISA, but who have used the "Visa on Entry." I have always entered Thailand WITH a visa (60 day which I extend another 30). I have been in Thailand for almost 90 days, leaving next week. I intend to return again in one month on another 60 day visa. AM I CORRECT in assuming I will have no problems re-entering? (The answer is very important - experts advise please).

Visa entry is not effected by the 90 days in a six month period rule. Visa exempt entry is the 30 day stamp that about 40 countries are allowed to obtain on entry (this is not a visa on entry). Only these visa exempt entry stays count towards the 90 day limit.

No problem.

Hello, some very important clarification needed please! I guess I am not sure of the definition of a "visa-exempt" stay. My understanding had been from extensive study that the 90 day limitation was only applicable for tourists entering Thailand WITH NO VISA, but who have used the "Visa on Entry." I have always entered Thailand WITH a visa (60 day which I extend another 30). I have been in Thailand for almost 90 days, leaving next week. I intend to return again in one month on another 60 day visa. AM I CORRECT in assuming I will have no problems re-entering? (The answer is very important - experts advise please).

ANY entry with a VISA does not count towards the 90 day totting up.

The 90 day limit applies only to visa exempt entries (sometimes mistakenly called 'visa on entry' or 'visa on arrival' which is actually something completely different).

A visa exempt entry is the 30 day stamp that citizens of a number of countries are allowed without a visa.

Edited by Crossy

--

Maestro

Shouldnt have any problems whatsoever. I have been doing the same for last 8 months and on my third entry with tourist visa :o As i understand it there are no limits if entering on Tourist Visa.

Reason for edit: Clarity.

Edited by Buzby

Visa run to Cambodia: Stranded at the border? Sent back to Pattaya?

Some people had problems doing the border run to Cambodia with Pattaya based travel agencies. The newspaper "Pattaya People" featured in its issue of 14 June 2008 the following reader's letter:

"….

Here's my personal experience: My girlfriend and I went on what was supposed to be a successful "Visa Run" to Cambodia, offered by a Pattaya based company. The guide – if we can call her that - promised that everything would be OK and we coughed up 4,000 baht for that early morning ride earlier this week.

Sadly, upon reaching the Cambodian border, a few "farangs" – including myself – found ourselves battling international visa rules and regulations. The result, we had to return to Pattaya on expired visas and to overstay – at a cost of 500 baht per day as a penalty!

….

Regards, HAN"

Unfortunately, HAN does not tell us his recent immigration history (how often has he been on the visa run already?) and the reason given at the border for sending him back. I will go on the visa run soon and I have consulted several Pattaya travel agencies, presenting them with my entry/exit history since February last year:

1) 2 weeks in Thailand on 30 days pass.

2) 1 month in Burma.

3) 2 months in Thailand on Tourist visa.

4) 3 months in Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore

5) 3 months in Thailand on Tourist visa plus extension

6) 3 months in Thailand on Tourist visa plus extension.

7) 3 months in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos

8) 2 months in Thailand on Tourist visa.

From 3 different travel agencies I got 3 different opinions:

1) I can now do the border run to a neighbouring country THREE times and obtain a 30 days visa free stay on each occasion (Malaysia being the best option, as farangs do not need a Malaysian visa, and as I plan to relocate to Southern Thailand anyway).

2) It is obligatory to get a visa extension first, and after that I can do only TWO border runs to a neighbouring country, as the 30 days extension on a tourist visa counts as a 30 days visa free stay (!).

3) The travel agency provides transport to the Cambodian border, and would charge me for the return journey only. I would pay for the Cambodian visa myself, as they cannot guarantee that the border run will be successful.

WHOM TO BELIEVE? When Thai immigration grants a 30 days visa free stay (farangs are entitled to a total of 90 days visa free stay within 6 months), do they take into consideration any time spent on tourist visas and EXTENSIONS? The opinion of travel agency number 2) would suggest that they do!

Does anyone have any personal experience to contradict them?

Regards

Frank33 :o

Visa entry is not effected by the 90 days in a six month period rule. Visa exempt entry is the 30 day stamp that about 40 countries are allowed to obtain on entry (this is not a visa on entry). Only these visa exempt entry stays count towards the 90 day limit.

No problem.

Thanks Lopburi3. Guess I am just getting old(er) for having this confusion on the "90 day limit" issue.

Here's a new one: A few weeks ago I went to Cambodia to extend my 60 day tourist visa by one month again. I've done this before with no problems. This time, the "travel agency" at the border said a one month OR a two month extension are now available. I said is this new, and he said yes. (He wanted a 1000 baht fee for the one month and 2000 baht for the two month extension). I told him I only needed one month. He said he would give me the two month extension anyway. I was very skeptical of him. Anyway, the immigration officer upon re-entry stamped July 22 on my departure slip and in my passport - this was a TWO month extension after all!! Have the tourist extension rules changed?

No the rules have not changed and you do not exit the country to obtain an extension of stay. You seem to have had a two or more entry tourist visa - you were asked if you wanted a 30 day visa exempt entry or you wanted to use your tourist visa for a 60 day entry - you used your tourist visa. Both these entries are free so the travel agent you paid did not care.

Some people had problems doing the border run to Cambodia with Pattaya based travel agencies. The newspaper "Pattaya People" featured in its issue of 14 June 2008 the following reader's letter:

"….

Here's my personal experience: My girlfriend and I went on what was supposed to be a successful "Visa Run" to Cambodia, offered by a Pattaya based company. The guide – if we can call her that - promised that everything would be OK and we coughed up 4,000 baht for that early morning ride earlier this week.

Sadly, upon reaching the Cambodian border, a few "farangs" – including myself – found ourselves battling international visa rules and regulations. The result, we had to return to Pattaya on expired visas and to overstay – at a cost of 500 baht per day as a penalty!

….

Regards, HAN"

Unfortunately, HAN does not tell us his recent immigration history (how often has he been on the visa run already?) and the reason given at the border for sending him back. I will go on the visa run soon and I have consulted several Pattaya travel agencies, presenting them with my entry/exit history since February last year:

2) 1 month in Burma.

1) I can now do the border run to a neighbouring country THREE times and obtain a 30 days visa free stay on each occasion (Malaysia being the best option, as farangs do not need a Malaysian visa, and as I plan to relocate to Southern Thailand anyway).

2) It is obligatory to get a visa extension first, and after that I can do only TWO border runs to a neighbouring country, as the 30 days extension on a tourist visa counts as a 30 days visa free stay (!).

3) The travel agency provides transport to the Cambodian border, and would charge me for the return journey only. I would pay for the Cambodian visa myself, as they cannot guarantee that the border run will be successful.

WHOM TO BELIEVE? When Thai immigration grants a 30 days visa free stay (farangs are entitled to a total of 90 days visa free stay within 6 months), do they take into consideration any time spent on tourist visas and EXTENSIONS? The opinion of travel agency number 2) would suggest that they do!

Regards

Please try to use normal font for posting - item (travel agency) 2 is false - visa extensions of stay do not count as visa exempt entry or against the 90 day total.

If I had 2 valid UK passports, does anyone know if I would be able to alternate them so I could get 180 days in 6 months using the visa exempt thing?

cheers

Edited by saorsa

This has been discussed a number of times and the consensus was that you could not. Your entries are linked also to your name and birth date, not just to your passport number, in the immigration database and this information pops up on the officer’s screen when he swipes your passport through the reader or types in your details.

--

Maestro

"….

….

Regards, HAN"

2) 1 month in Burma.

Regards

The agents you visited were a joke.

Here's your best course of action.

Get a 30 day extension on your current tourist visa then do 3 x 30 day visa exempt border runs or get a new tourist visa.

Your tourist visas and extensions do not count toward your 90 day visa exempt allowance in 6 months.

I guess Tropo is right, and we should not attach too much importance to theories voiced by travel agencies, but rather learn from real life experiences of other visa runners - many questions can be answered by looking at postings on this site.

In the good old days I did not bother with Thai tourist visas at all. I was living for two years continuously in the far south of Thailand, popping over the border to Malaysia once a month to get another 30 days exemption.

Since 2006 of course the equation has changed, and we are limited to a total of 90 days visa free stay within 6 months. Has anyone of you guys lived in Thailand continuously since the rules changed in 2006, alternating between tourist visas and visa free stays? Or do the Thai embassies/consulates in neighbouring countries get exasperated with people aiming for this loophole?

Frank33

--

Maestro

Do yourself a favor. Nest time get a multiple entry tourist visa. IT is good for 2 - 60 days stays. This saves you money at immigration and you only need to do 1 border crossing at the 60 day point. So long as you have a 60 day tourist visa of ANY type you should have no issues entering Thailand.

...Nest time get a multiple entry tourist visa...

There is no “multiple entry tourist visa”. I believe thaikahuna means a double-entry tourist visa, ie a tourist visa valid for two journeys to Thailand within the period specified on the visa.

--

Maestro

Am slightly confused here as immigration have stopped counting the 90 days in a 180 day period.

Upon entry utilising 30 day arrival stamp on March 7th there was no green/yellow felt tip mark (which had previously been on all my 30 day entry stamps) made in passport.

Upon exiting same trip I asked why and was told there is no "count" (at least any longer)

Upon arrival again May 19th I asked at immigration exactly the same-no count.

Can only assume this is not official as yet/or is deliberately being kept quiet which is more likely.

This has been discussed a number of times and the consensus was that you could not. Your entries are linked also to your name and birth date, not just to your passport number, in the immigration database and this information pops up on the officer's screen when he swipes your passport through the reader or types in your details.

--

Maestro

This is not entirely the case - I have been doing just this since February with a new passport. Each time I enter at Suvarnaboomy after just a few days out of the country on business, I expect them to count, but they do not, and I get another 30 days with no questions asked. Therefore:

a) they do not have the details of previous stays on the screen OR

B) they no longer care to enforce the rules OR

c) I have an honest face...

When the rule of maximum 90 visa-exempt days within 6 months was introduced in October 2006 I predicted that it would be abolished after a year or two because it would be too impractical to implement. Perhaps this is happening now.

--

Maestro

maestro, ur prediction is perfectly rite. i'm living in th 9 years, on visa exemption, doin my run every 29 days. since oct 06 i'd try to find out, when this 6-month period starts to no avail. so i alternate with exempt and tourist. since jan 27 till jun 22 i've spent 147 days on exempt (5 entries) with only 2 days abroad. they must have stopped counting sometime in apr 08, otherwise i would NOT have gotten the 4th exempt on 25.04.08 (neither the 5th on 24.05.08). see my exact dates:

27.01.08 Khuan Don 29 (visa run)

25.02.08 Khuan Don 29 (")

25.03.08 Padang Basar 90 (went to penang for tourist visa)

27.03.08 Sadao 29 (back)

25.04.08 Khuan Don 29 (visa run)

24.05.08 Khuan Don 29 (")

22.06.08 Khuan Don 59 (use the useless tourist visa, just to not waste the time and money i spent in penang)

btw: khuan don is a very nice secluded and relaxed place, i only can recommend it..................

How confusing having 2 x Lopburi's.

Do yourself a favor. Nest time get a multiple entry tourist visa. IT is good for 2 - 60 days stays. This saves you money at immigration and you only need to do 1 border crossing at the 60 day point. So long as you have a 60 day tourist visa of ANY type you should have no issues entering Thailand.

accepting that multiple means double.

Could the first 60 days be extended by 30 days at Immigration, then do the border run & get another 60 days, then extend again?