The You Tube Thread

Tony Clifton

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After at least several days of limited functionality of YouTube, things are back to normal. Whereas before I had to use the &fmt=18 trick to get videos to play, and restart my browser in order to obtain audio, and I could not access videos embedded on websites outside YouTube.

What happens if, for example, you click

"Finally, a Zoo recognizes the evil powers of otters!"

No problem with watching that, even if I do detest otters and their cuteness.

Going around "We're sorry, this video is no longer available".

This method works well. A pain to do the copy&paste and it doesn't fix the blocking of embedded VDO but it's better than not being able to watch our favorite clips at all.

Wonder how long before "they" will block it too! :o

http://skyllohacks.blogspot.com/2008/02/ho...s-when-you.html

After at least several days of limited functionality of YouTube, things are back to normal. Whereas before I had to use the &fmt=18 trick to get videos to play, and restart my browser in order to obtain audio, and I could not access videos embedded on websites outside YouTube.

What happens if, for example, you click

"Finally, a Zoo recognizes the evil powers of otters!"

No problem with watching that, even if I do detest otters and their cuteness.

Then, if you can watch that and if you have no trouble streaming YouTube clips you are not on the TOT Pattaya server since by now even TOT has acknowledged that, indeed, YouTube is (in greater part) blocked on their Pattaya server because of a technical problem. Either you don't live in Pattaya or you're pulling our collective leg!

This thread is about us TOT subscribers in Pattaya unable to watch YouTube! :o

Here is the latest on YouTube and TOT Pattaya.

Last Friday I went to TOT Pattaya Klang to complain about YouTube being blocked. The girl was blissfully unaware of any block, didn't even know what YouTube is. After assuring her that I was not a mad Farang complaining about nothing she called a tech in BKK who, indeed, acknowledged that it was a server problem and they would look into it. They did! I went again this morning to renew my complaint but this time the girl was smilingly waiting for me. She even has my TOT tel nr posted on her monitor! Anyway, TOT BKK is now well aware of the problem with YouTube in Pattaya. It is a block problem with their server here but cannot be fixed right away because they need a part that's not readily available right now. Thus she would not give me an estimate about when the server will be fixed but insisted that they will do their utmost diligence to get YouTube back online. OK with me. :D

I think that they have been tinkering with the filter that YouTube had to devise for the Thai govt to block offending clips without having to block entirely YouTube everytime some idiot uploads a "bad" clip. :o

Goody, goody! We'll eventually get our YouTube! Next week? Next month? Patience! :D

Where does this thread say it's only about Pattaya?

Certainly the problem is not confined to Pattaya but is nationwide. What a strange post unless I'm missing something. Is this the 'Elitest Pattaya attitude' that we here so much about. Lols.

Edited by Slip

Here is the latest on YouTube and TOT Pattaya.

Anyway, TOT BKK is now well aware of the problem with YouTube in Pattaya. It is a block problem with their server here but cannot be fixed right away because they need a part that's not readily available right now. Thus she would not give me an estimate about when the server will be fixed but insisted that they will do their utmost diligence to get YouTube back online. OK with me. :o

Goody, goody! We'll eventually get our YouTube! Next week? Next month? Patience! :D

And you believe this? How long have you been living in Thailand anyway? By the way, I have some beachfront land for sale in Isaan.

Certainly the problem is not confined to Pattaya but is nationwide. What a strange post unless I'm missing something. Is this the 'Elitest Pattaya attitude' that we here so much about. Lols.

Interesting to hear that, according to you, YouTube is blocked nationwide by TOT. We thought this TOT blockage was presently confined only to Pattaya. That's why this thread ran on TOT Pattaya's troubles, ways to get around it and, hopefully, fix it. Our mistake, then.

So, where are you in Thailand that TOT has also blocked your access to YouTube? Please tell us. Have you complained to your TOT office yet? If yes, are they going to fix the problem?

Also, is there really such a thing as "Elitest (sic) Pattaya attitude"? What is it? I have never heard about it, but then my main abode is Bangkok (where I have True 4MPS and so don't know if YouTube is also blocked by TOT in BKK).

LOL LOL LOL

Interesting to hear that, according to you, YouTube is blocked nationwide by TOT. We thought this TOT blockage was presently confined only to Pattaya. That's why this thread ran on TOT Pattaya's troubles, ways to get around it and, hopefully, fix it. Our mistake, then.

So, where are you in Thailand that TOT has also blocked your access to YouTube? Please tell us. Have you complained to your TOT office yet? If yes, are they going to fix the problem?

Also, is there really such a thing as "Elitest (sic) Pattaya attitude"? What is it? I have never heard about it, but then my main abode is Bangkok (where I have True 4MPS and so don't know if YouTube is also blocked by TOT in BKK).

LOL LOL LOL

Youtube out in Rayong - TOT.
After many days off the air, Youtube is again working here - I am near Udon Thani.
Still down on Koh Chang.
Back and ok in Bangkok/Nonthaburi
Youtube has been inaccesible for me here in Bangkok now for the last several hours. It was working at about 8AM, but now appears to be blocked...the whole site, not just certain vids.

NEVERMIND! It came back. Weird how it comes and goes for hours at a time. That happens quite often for me.

youtube page loads and is visible but video won't load. Same for embedded youtube videos e.g facebook

TOT adsl Phuket problem for the last 2-3days

can access using a proxy.

anyone go the word on it from TOT?

TOT Chiang Mai "sorry, this video is no longer available" message on every video

Confined to Pattaya? Your mistake indeed. Sorry, I'd also stupidly missed the facts that this thread is in the Pattaya forum and Pattaya is mentioned in the title.

I'm in Ratchaburi and haven't been able to get Youtube for at least a month. No I haven't complained and don't intend to as this is so obviously part of a national problem.

How strangely pedantic of you to draw attention to my spelling 'elitist' wrong. No there is no such thing as an ''elitist Pattaya attitude'' as far as I'm aware. I was joking. Next time I'll have to remember to add a smiley for the hard of thinking. (Oh I've just noticed I did add 'Lols'- sorry... must be more obvious)

Anyway, if I caused offence, I apologise, I didn't mean to.

:o

Confined to Pattaya? Your mistake indeed. Sorry, I'd also stupidly missed the facts that this thread is in the Pattaya forum and Pattaya is mentioned in the title.

I'm in Ratchaburi and haven't been able to get Youtube for at least a month. No I haven't complained and don't intend to as this is so obviously part of a national problem.

How strangely pedantic of you to draw attention to my spelling 'elitist' wrong. No there is no such thing as an ''elitist Pattaya attitude'' as far as I'm aware. I was joking. Next time I'll have to remember to add a smiley for the hard of thinking. (Oh I've just noticed I did add 'Lols'- sorry... must be more obvious)

Anyway, if I caused offence, I apologise, I didn't mean to.

:D

1/ Confined to Pattaya. Yes. All your quoted posts date from April and nothing has been heard lately from TOT YT problems outside of Pattaya (just you).

2/ This is not part of the Pattaya Forum. It's the Youtube Problems (Mini?) Forum.

3/ The general subject is-surprise-Youtube problems in general. In the past couple weeks a thread has been started concerning TOT Pattaya subscribers unable to stream YT clips. It's a thread! That is a discussion about a very particular aspect of the general forum, concerning only those affected individuals (here the TOT Pattaya residents). So, it creates confusion to chime in the thread to say that, unlike the other guys, you have no problems if you don't also mention that you're not in Pattaya! But, of course, the (Mini?) Forum itself is open to all, not just the Pattaya Elite or the East Coast Elite or the Obama Elite.

4/ Consumer 101 says Complain and Complain Again if you're not satisfied with a product!

5/ I did not correct your spelling. (sic) is a literary device to indicate that the spelling belongs to the quoted words. Maybe a typing mistake or maybe intentional. Word 2007 spelling check doesn't work with TV so it's only too easy to let typing mistakes slip by.

6/ So, I'm hard of thinking (your words). Could be. After 37 years in SE Asia (last 20 in the LOS) I'm bound to have a few circuits fried in my brain.

7/ Relax. Don't get upset about small nothings. TV is a great way to request and exchange info, give one's take on a subject, and (maybe!) make a few cyberbuddies on the way. :o

Recently I was prompted to update the Flash software on my computer. I can't remember what day this was. But since then, my problems with YouTube and watching videos on other sites has cleared up.

Now, if content providers on Hulu would allow their programming to be seen outside the US, I will be set.

I don't think that the server problems or whatever the problem, is restricted to only the You Tube site. I haven't been able to view videos from other sites such as Yahoo, AOL and even CNET Asia. Is anyone else having difficulty viewing video from sites other than You Tube?

Pattayadavid

I can't get on for 2 days now, TOT.

FOR ALL WHO HAVE TOT INTERNET, READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY GIRLFRIEND GOT ON THE PHONE WITH TOT YESTERDAY, AND AFTER 1 HOUR OF

COMPLAINING ABOUT A YOUTUBE BLOCK, THEY FINALLY ADMITTED THAT THEY ARE

IN COMPLIANCE WITH MICT (MINISTRY OF INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES)

TO BLOCK YOUTUBE AND SEVERAL OTHER WEBSITES THAT THEY DEEM INNAPROPRIATE.

SO, THERE YA HAVE IT. CENCORSHIP. ENJOY EVERYTHING ELSE!!

I don't think that the server problems or whatever the problem, is restricted to only the You Tube site. I haven't been able to view videos from other sites such as Yahoo, AOL and even CNET Asia. Is anyone else having difficulty viewing video from sites other than You Tube?

Pattayadavid

TOT Pattaya. Except for YouTube no problems streaming from all VDO sites including Yahoo, CNET and AOL. Except that YouTube clips are blocked on AOL (not the others).

I tried the Flash Player 10 beta version. Made no difference in the blockage.

YouTube (except, I guess, the "offending" clips) is not blocked at all on my True ADSL connection in BKK. No problems there.

I still think that this blockage (which is haphazard by the way, many clips get through) has to do with the censorship filter. The problem being that the other ISP have installed the YouTube filter properly. TOT hasn't.

I'm having problems here in Bangbon as well. The pages load and I can see the details about the videos, but as soon as I click on the video I get the message "We're sorry, this video is no longer available." I've written to Yotube (Google security issue) and got an automatic response and will probably have to wait for the weekend to finish before an actial human reads the information I sent (I even sent a screen shot of the page with the message in the video).

If anyone else wants to alert them, send an Email to this address

[email protected]

Of interest http://thaicrisis.wordpress.com/2008/06/09...-filter-system/

Includes a post by the idiot (I'll not mention his name!) who is on a one-man crusade to mad the Thai govt into blocking YouTube (or parts thereof). Click on his post name blog link (you'll guess easily which one!) and see the message you get.

Also check http://www.nationmultimedia.com/worldhotne...newsid=30073522.

Apparently, on YouTube at least, that guy is the only "serious" offender. Click the youtube link (it's the first one!) and his personal YT page will open but the VDO will show the usual 'Sorry". Like I said, a total idiot.

I'm having problems here in Bangbon as well. The pages load and I can see the details about the videos, but as soon as I click on the video I get the message "We're sorry, this video is no longer available." I've written to Yotube (Google security issue) and got an automatic response and will probably have to wait for the weekend to finish before an actial human reads the information I sent (I even sent a screen shot of the page with the message in the video).

[email protected]

I emailed them already. My original message was:

Sun, 08 Jun 2008 03:16:13 -0700

The filter (Sorry, this video is no longer available) set up for

Thailand now blocks for the past couple months nearly all VDO for users

of ISP TOT in Pattaya, Thailand. Other ISP and TOT elsewhere not

affected. Please tweak asap your server concerning TOT Pattaya.

I first got this automated answer back (the one you got already):

Thank you for contacting YouTube about your video player issue! We receive lots of questions from users like you every day. While, we are continually trying our best to give everyone a personal response we encourage you to review the common questions and answers in this automated email to see if they help your situation.

Followed by a long list of things that can go wrong with streaming YT. Useless in this case.

Then this personal reply:

Hi there,

Thanks for your email.We have found that the users with ad-blocking software enabled may not be able to see videos due to a conflict with our flash detection code. Also, try disabling any softwares like "Web Accelerator" which might be causing this issue.

Regards,

Rayo

The YouTube Team

And yesterday I got an automated "Are you satisfied with our answer, etc..." Definitely not! There was also a comment box where I renewed my original complaint about TOT's disastrous use of their "offending" clips blocking filter.

Super to have send them a screen shot. But how did you manage to join it to the YT message?

[email protected]

I emailed them already. My original message was:

Sun, 08 Jun 2008 03:16:13 -0700

The filter (Sorry, this video is no longer available) set up for

Thailand now blocks for the past couple months nearly all VDO for users

of ISP TOT in Pattaya, Thailand. Other ISP and TOT elsewhere not

affected. Please tweak asap your server concerning TOT Pattaya.

I first got this automated answer back (the one you got already):

Thank you for contacting YouTube about your video player issue! We receive lots of questions from users like you every day. While, we are continually trying our best to give everyone a personal response we encourage you to review the common questions and answers in this automated email to see if they help your situation.

Followed by a long list of things that can go wrong with streaming YT. Useless in this case.

Then this personal reply:

Hi there,

Thanks for your email.We have found that the users with ad-blocking software enabled may not be able to see videos due to a conflict with our flash detection code. Also, try disabling any softwares like "Web Accelerator" which might be causing this issue.

Regards,

Rayo

The YouTube Team

And yesterday I got an automated "Are you satisfied with our answer, etc..." Definitely not! There was also a comment box where I renewed my original complaint about TOT's disastrous use of their "offending" clips blocking filter.

Super to have send them a screen shot. But how did you manage to join it to the YT message?

I sent the file as an attachment

Picofscreenshowingmessage.jpg

What's going on with YouTube. Again?

I can get to the site, so not same as before when the govt blocked it. But whether it's through a link from any website, not just this one, or directly from YouTube itself, click on the video I want to watch, and always get this 'sorry, this video is no longer available' in white on top of the black video screen. It's been happening for some weeks now. What's going on? Anyone else having these problems. I just want to look at some tutorials. :o

Hi. Is You Tube selectively blocked again here in Thailand? Sorry if this topic is covered already. It seems very selective. We are in the south. I remember last time it was blocked it was working in some regions and not others. Does anyone know what the story is?

Not aware of anything formal, but given how it works I can understand how it keeps breaking here. Other sites do it as well, where the page is effectively composed of elements from many servers. This LINK is to the pinned YouTube discussion thread.

Regards

PS Can you provide any specifics?

What's going on with YouTube. Again?

I can get to the site, so not same as before when the govt blocked it. But whether it's through a link from any website, not just this one, or directly from YouTube itself, click on the video I want to watch, and always get this 'sorry, this video is no longer available' in white on top of the black video screen. It's been happening for some weeks now. What's going on? Anyone else having these problems. I just want to look at some tutorials. :o

YouTube blocked in greater Khon Kaen area (TOT servers) for a couple months now. Same symptoms as above, "sorry video no longer available" on nearly ALL videos.

if you wanna get rid of that stupid block like the day when all ISP were blocking youtube, install a proxy to a friend's computer that uses another ISP.

i can recommend you ccproxy for the ease of use and being free for less than 10 users, that's the solution i'm currently using with a friend that has maxnet, i also need to mention that with TOT, you have to wait for the video to be loaded completly due to their low bandwith with the proxy now, the progress bar is going faster than the video...

1/ I'm thinking of closing my TOT Pattaya ADSL and switching over to TT&T MAXNET. Seems like users are satisfied and no blockage of youtube. I'd rather switch than fight (TOT)!

2/ BTW. Do we get an e-mail address (to use with Outlook or Mail) with a 1MPS TOT account? I've twice already asked at their office on Central Road but could get no useable info on that. The first time I was told to use a cybercafé if I wanted one! (I can use Hotmail from my own PC, thank you!) The second time I got a "SMTP.totisP.net" scribble but that's not enough for Outlook or Mail to set up an e-mail address!

1/ I'm thinking of closing my TOT Pattaya ADSL and switching over to TT&T MAXNET. Seems like users are satisfied and no blockage of youtube. I'd rather switch than fight (TOT)!

Make 100% sure of that first, it might be out of the frying pan into the fire ?

I have not been able to view any vids on youtube now for weeks ( pattaya TOT ) even the &fmt=18 does not work anymore.

If youtube was derogatory to Thailand I could understand it but when we just want to look at some favorite old music vid's all this blocking is too much :o