Would It Be Possible To ...

eek

Would it be possible to modify the forum to give users the ability to read a few lines of text before deciding to read the whole thread?(I dont know the correct term for this, sorry)

I hope its clear what i mean. :o

Maybe the image below will help, if im not making sense. 1: Regular text, 2: The first lines of thread displayed when hovering your mouse over the text.

76390219ta4.jpg

I use the "view new posts" section a lot and sometimes people are not clear in the title what the thread is about. Would be nice to be able to make a quick decision based on the opening lines whether or not it would be a thread i would like to read in detail. Also helpful as my net is sometimes a bit slow to load pages.

Would it be possible to modify the forum to give users the ability to read a few lines of text before deciding to read the whole thread?(I dont know the correct term for this, sorry)

I hope its clear what i mean. :o

Maybe the image below will help, if im not making sense. 1: Regular text, 2: The first lines of thread displayed when hovering your mouse over the text.

76390219ta4.jpg

I use the "view new posts" section a lot and sometimes people are not clear in the title what the thread is about. Would be nice to be able to make a quick decision based on the opening lines whether or not it would be a thread i would like to read in detail. Also helpful as my net is sometimes a bit slow to load pages.

Good idea, perhaps also allow the opening posts to be expanded out with a single mouse click (but which doesn't navigate away fro the page), would also be good. VBulletin allows this I know so I would hope Invision does also.

• 8 months later...

Eek, it's not exactly what you asked for but this should help with some of the forums.

Use the wonderful RSS feed function. I use it all the time to keep up with my favourite TV forums. Hit the little orange 'feeds' button that is at the bottom of every page and up pops a menu of the available RSS feeds.

The button looks like this post-18801-1236960811.jpg

Pretty much all the browsers handle RSS feeds well now and can allow you to subscribe to a feed and have it periodically retrieve all the new items automatically. There are also stand alone feed reading programs. Here is a wikipedia list of many of them

No need to get into all that if you don't want to, you could just bookmark the link to the feed page and go there to see each new topic and the first post. From there you can click on the post title to view the rest of the posts if you want to. For example, try this link to the Chiang Mai forum feed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/rss-17.html

Note that not all the TV feeds do it like this and not all forums have feeds, though the list is growing. Thailand News feed for example, shows just the post title of each post. You'll need to experiment with each of the feeds of interest to see what they give you.

Happy feed reading! :o

Tnx whimsy.

bumpy bump.. any thoughts on this guys? :o

its far too complicated as it is for Buddhas sake, more ideas are needed to simplify not additions

Complicated? Sorry, but do you actually get what im suggesting? Most forums use that system to simplify things. Maybe its not implemented here because clicking = ad revenue.