Finding Non-spicy Food In Thailand

PeaceBlondie

I love this place, and after 17 months in Thailand, I have no plans to live elsewhere. I have almost no serious complaints - oh, okay, this one:

Why can't Thais, especially the cooks, prepare non-spicy food?

Of course, Thai food is ridiculously absurdly insanely spicy, so I steer away from that. But once yet again tonight, I ordered spaghetti. Spaghetti. And I clearly specified and emphasized, "MAI PET, MAI PET." The waitress knows me well.

Very very spicy spaghetti (the sauce). Why? I suspect that Thais have no taste buds. But since most of the customers in this restaurant are farang and I was ordering off the Western part of the menu, why prepare spaghetti sauce with chili peppers?

And it isn't just spaghetti. Time and again, coworkers, friends and lovers swear that the dish I'm about to eat is 'mai pet.' And it's hotter than a Bangkok sidewalk in April.

Without learning 76 vowels and consonants, what do I have to say when I order?

Thanks. I don't usually start threads, but this is one of my few pet peeves in LOS (land of spiciness).

I suggest Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Swensons, Pizza Hut, Pizza Inn, Steak One, Sizzler, Outback Steakhouse, Dairy Queen and Au Bon Pain for starters. Bland food of ever there was any.

Short of that, next time, call them back over and give it the old 'Mai Ou.' When they come back with the inevitable 'why?' say 'Pet Maak. Mai Chaap.' Other than that or the venue changes suggested, good luck.

My guess is that its not spicy at all. But you just cant handle anything with a little too much black pepper. Many thai food is not spicy. You get thais and farang who will add chillie powder to these meals. for example. noodles in soy with beef, Pad thai,etc. Personally i love spicy. But there are meals that need spice added to it. Also i am surprised that the spaghetti is spicy.

:o

Just gotta add thsi is my 300th post. :D:D:D:D:wub:-_-:(:):)

there are many thai dishes which do not have chillies in them in any form. there are many thai people who do not like spicy food. there are also many thai dishes which CAN be made non-spicy, but which are short on flavour as a result, most notably tom yum and som tum, both of which become fantastic the hotter they are.

get a little book on the food of thailand, and note the dishes which are chili-less. that may help. the trouble with asking for non-spicy is it makes many thais laugh to see people with their mouths on fire. if this bugs you, try to learn to eat spicy and then you can laugh too! :o

I agree with Tumdee. Try and start on non spicy stuff and work your way up. By having it a little spicier everytime. Trust me you will soon enjoy it. I also find if you take a mouthful of something spicy and you stop. The heat seems worse than if you just keep eating. Just a thought.

I have to agree with Jock and Tumdee. Start making your food spicier little by little over a period of time. That's what I did.

I still can't eat anything hot enough to melt the wax in my ears....but I'm slowly getting there. :o

Mt wife likes spagetti, but after teaching her how to make it she now mdifies it with lots of chillies.

What you have to remember is that dishes like spagetti are'nt "cook to order" ie they need time to cook and simmer so are usually frozen or made in a big pan and reheated. You cant get someone to take out chilli's!!!

Try asking for food "mai sai pik" "don"t put in chilli" if you say "mai pit" "not spicy" this is open to interpritation, "mai sai pik" is'nt.

There are also many thai foods that you can eat that dont have chilli's in.

Chow pat (whatever) fried rice

any fish "toawt gratium prik thai" deep fried with garlik and pepper

gai pat met mamuang himapan chicken and cashow nuts

nua pat nam man hui beef in oyster sauce

The list is huge but you just have to try them and see.

Personely I now like fairly spicy stuff, did'nt used to though you just have to get used to it, a little bit now and again.

When ordering rice, you can order plain or sticky rice instead of fried rice.

white rice

kaao/f/ kaao/r/

ซ้าวซาว​

sticky rice

kaao/f/ nia-o/r/

ซ้าวเหนียว

fried rice

kaao/f/ put/l/

ซ้าวผัด

Also, you can order all sorts of fruits, as well as ice water (nahm/h/-kairng/r/-bplao/l/ or นำเเวซ็งเปล่า to help "put out the fire" if you happen to catch something hot.

A short time ago, there was a long thread on different fruits in the language section.

If it is specifically chili's or garlic or ginger that you want to avoid, then you can try to ask specifically to not use them:

no chili pepper

prik/h/mai/f/

พริกไม่

But as my teacher has told me, it is important to ask in a very polite way if you want someone to change from the norm (e.g., change their recipe), so it does not come across as an insult (e.g., you don't like our cooking?).

What you have to remember is that dishes like spagetti are'nt "cook to order" ie they need time to cook and simmer so are usually frozen or made in a big pan and reheated. You cant get someone to take out chilli's!!!
Seen in an Italian restaurant: They have a pot of hot water ready on the stove, it's always set on low gas.

They get an order: they take the pre-cooked pasta (no sauce) from the fridge; as the water is already very hot, they increase the gas... 30 seconds in boiling water and it's ready...

Seen in an Italian restaurant: They have a pot of hot water ready on the stove, it's always set on low gas.

They get an order: they take the pre-cooked pasta (no sauce) from the fridge; as the water is already very hot, they increase the gas... 30 seconds in boiling water and it's ready...

Sorry I meant the sauce not the pasta

• 5 months later...

Just say "mai sai prik" and "Cheud tee sut"--that say no chillis and blandest.

YOu can also go on to add that you have ulcer in your stomach---"phen roak kra phoa", ut the first two phrases should work.

Good Luck and Enjoy your next meal in LOS

I love this place, and after 17 months in Thailand, I have no plans to live elsewhere.  I have almost no serious complaints - oh, okay, this one:

Why can't Thais, especially the cooks, prepare non-spicy food?

Of course, Thai food is ridiculously absurdly insanely spicy, so I steer away from that.  But once yet again tonight, I ordered spaghetti.  Spaghetti.  And I clearly specified and emphasized, "MAI PET, MAI PET."  The waitress knows me well.

Very very spicy spaghetti (the sauce).  Why?  I suspect that Thais have no taste buds.  But since most of the customers in this restaurant are farang and I was ordering off the Western part of the menu, why prepare spaghetti sauce with chili peppers?

And it isn't just spaghetti.  Time and again, coworkers, friends and lovers swear that the dish I'm about to eat is 'mai pet.'  And it's hotter than a Bangkok sidewalk in April.

Thanks.  I don't usually start threads, but this is one of my few pet peeves in LOS (land of spiciness).

I really don't find Thai food that spicy. It's spicy, but not more so than plenty of other types of food. I grew up on Mexican, spicy Cajun, BBQ, big yellow peppers in my sandwiches, Texas chilli, etc. A lot of Thai food isn't spicy enough unless you put extra chilli on top of it.

It's actually annoying when Thai people think Thai is the only spicy food in the world and that others can't eat it. I hate when I get a plate of non spicy laap muu even though I told them I went it very spicy.

Edited by DP25

columbus brought chilis to the old world. within 100 years, they spread as far as asia.

the original hot chocolate was made with chilis, a ritual drink.

( aztec, maya, olmec, toltec, inca ? )

my isan honey has a nephew that won't touch hot (pet) food.

there are many dishes that don't test your macho

look around and learn.

xtg

here's why:

When you said "Mai Pet", you actually said, "don't make it too spicy". Which implies, put chilli in, but not too much.

You didn't say "Mai sai plick", which means "please don't put chilli in my food"

here's why:

When you said "Mai Pet", you actually said, "don't make it too spicy". Which implies, put chilli in, but not too much.

You didn't say "Mai sai plick", which means "please don't put chilli in my food"

Order not spicy thai food. Some like Khao Phad kung(Gai), Khao Kah Muh , Khoa Khai Jiew , with soup ( Gaeng Juerd ) veggi soup, or grass noodle soup, Phad Veggi with Soja sauce. Sweet sour veggi or with fish...you see..there are lots of unspicy menus. Somtham thai mai sai prik , with sticky rice and Gai Yang. Pla tord gratuim mai sai prik thai. Khao Paloh etc.....Phad thai noodle......Rad Nah noodle......Bahmee Phed...Bha mee Muh Daeng......feeling hungry again...gosch.

Just a word of warning;

Some spicy food doesn't digest as well in it's non-spicy form. You'll generally get more gassy and bloated if you eat food thats supposed to be real spicy without spice. You may be better off opting for something that was never intended to be hot.

cv

Just a word of warning;

Some spicy food doesn't digest as well in it's non-spicy form. You'll generally get more gassy and bloated if you eat food thats supposed to be real spicy without spice. You may be better off opting for something that was never intended to be hot.

cv

You are absolutely right. Mostly non-spicy food are fat or sweet. Like mostly chinese food. Chinese drinks hot tea after eating fat food. But anyway, eating little spicy food feel like you are in Sauna too, and healthy.

Which triggered a memory. About thirty years ago my Thai wife and I were roaming a Middle East market looking for small chilli peppers when my wife spotted some and shouted to me over the busting throng 'Look Teerak, man here has small prick'

Thankfully, the bustling throng were Arabs with no sign of English speaking foreigners!

does anyone know what pepper is called in Thai ?

no kidding, its ' prick thai '  :o