Bimmy Is Dirty.

AlexLah

Hi all,

Normally I bring Beamy to the car spa about once a week for a nice wash and shine treatment.

The last few weeks I noticed that just a few days after going to the spa, Beamy looks very dirty again.

It is really bad! :o

For example now if I open the trunk my hands get dirty from all the sand and dried up dust on my car.

Next to that I feel very embarrased when driving my car into the parking of my condo as all of the cars in there look shiny and clean. :D

Also I have a feeling when I am driving, people look at me and Beamy and say, "Look at this guy, he has a nice car but no money to have it washed" :D

Yes I can go to the gas station and have it washed daily, but the cost is pretty high (60 Baht). :D

Besides that, they use old used before towels to dry the car! :D

Any ideas, hint's or tips on how to deal with this are very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Alex

:D

Your problem is not your car...it is YOU!!

You will fit nicely into Thai "high" soceity where looks are more important than reality.

I had a car for 10 years once & I never washed the its outside. I did, however, "hose out" the inside with a garden hose once every 6 months.

What is it with people & cars? Why are these "money pitts" so bloody important when all they do is get you from A to B?

Also I have a feeling when I am driving, people look at me and Beamy and say, "Look at this guy, he has a nice car but no money to have it washed" :o

Fire your chauffeur. That's what he's paid to do. Or get a chauffeur if you don't have one. Even if he's only job is to keep your car clean.

That's how it's done.

Edited by adad

Kind regards,

Alex

Buy a bucket, sponge and some car shampoo like I have..o yes and a wash leather........Washing up liquid is best for the front alloys..wash them every day. Sorry but I don't let the maid wash my 520d or anyone else....very silly going to a car wash...asking for scratches............

:o

Edited by John45

Hi all,

Normally I bring Beamy to the car spa about once a week for a nice wash and shine treatment.

The last few weeks I noticed that just a few days after going to the spa, Beamy looks very dirty again. Maybe because of the weather all the roads are wet & dirty??

It is really bad!:Volunteer to hose down the roads before you drive on them (don't forget WP)[/b/color]]

For example now if I open the trunk my hands get dirty from all the sand and dried up dust on my car. Try using a key and don't touch the boot lid.

Next to that I feel very embarrased when driving my car into the parking of my condo as all of the cars in there look shiny and clean. :D Reverse into the condo parking lot, people will think you are leaving to get the Beamy washed & shined.

Also I have a feeling when I am driving, people look at me and Beamy and say, "Look at this guy, he has a nice car but no money to have it washed" :D You are imagining that people think this in actual fact they know you are a cheapskate by your very next sentence.Now we on TV know it too.

Yes I can go to the gas station and have it washed daily, but the cost is pretty high (60 Baht). :D Sixty baht (60) too dear and you say you own a beamer????

Besides that, they use old used before towels to dry the car! :D Ever thought of taking your own towels along??

Any ideas, hint's or tips on how to deal with this are very much appreciated! All comments and suggestions are provided free of charge although you may donate to TV's orphanage appeal if you have a a spare 60 baht.

Kind regards, Kind thoughts

Alex Mijan24

Dear Mr Alex Beamer other posters have offered a variety of interesting inputs to your request for help I can only say Mate I would say your trolling but being a 1000+ poster I would hope not ?? :o

:D

Some peaple love cars and some they don't. I love cars too, but in Thailand it's the best thing if you drive a "Clunker". So you not get mad if anything happen. The best car i ever had in Thailand was a 65' Ford Falcon, color flatblack (i sprayd it with 12 cans), black tinted windows, V8 engine, side pipes, but so ugly, that everybody looks my car, because it was so ugly. You drive a junk you never need to worry about, and they still strong. No plastic doorhandles, no plastic bumpers, etc. No one will steal it and no one parking next to you and in case of a accident with another car you don't lose much if police confiscate your car, to wait for the court decision to see who is wrong. Maybe the other partie have much more to lose than you and give up anyway.

Your problem is not your car...it is YOU!!

You will fit nicely into Thai "high" soceity where looks are more important than reality.

I had a car for 10 years once & I never washed the its outside. I did, however, "hose out" the inside with a garden hose once every 6 months.

What is it with people & cars? Why are these "money pitts" so bloody important when all they do is get you from A to B?

Some people like cars some people don’t.

Looking after what you own by keeping it clean and in a state of good repair does say a lot about a person.

And regardless of rights and wrongs first impressions do count. It may be shallow, but that’s the way the world works.

If I turn up in a well maintained, clean car at a shopping mall the guard moves cones I get easy parking etc, now we all know this is a little wrong but thats the way the game is played here and its relatively harmless. If however I was to turn up at a shopping centre (for example) in an older dirty car, chances are the guard will not do anything...

Now, this is a daft example but that’s just one of the reasons to keep a car clean... on top of the reasons the op mentioned such as getting hands dirty, clothes also get dirty.

I do get the impression that some people respond to some of these threads out of jealousy.

There is nothing wrong with working hard, being proud of what you have and looking after it.

Also I have a feeling when I am driving, people look at me and Beamy and say, "Look at this guy, he has a nice car but no money to have it washed"

I’d feel the same wearing a suit with a ropey pair trainers....

Depending on where you live... Whenever you go to a shopping mall, have it washed there...

I do this with my car on a weekly basis – It keeps the dirt off my hands and clothes, keeps the car looking nice and perhaps pisses a few people off who don’t like or can’t understand others having something better than them or understand those who value and respect their possessions.

With the main wet part of the wet season still approaching, I see Mr Alex having nervous breakdown by the end of October! Nearly every day it rains and you ride will get muddy. Living in a condo can be a problem as there is nowhere to wash ur car, generally. All I do, in between main washes, is just to get a bucket of water and chamois and go around it to clean off the dirt. I'll often do this daily, but sometimes can't be arsed, especially if the rains appear to be set in. I was just thinking today: a dirty ferrari is still a ferrari, and a clean hyundai is still a hyundai. I doubt people expect to see a car to be shiny everyday, especially in this season!

I seem to recall that AL has a really nice top of the line BMW and I can understand the obsession! Also not wanting amateur carwashers to scratch up the finish with dirty towels, seriously.

Anyway, I've seen the things that look like a dusting tool with a long arm on them, they are supposed to work pretty well for taking off that fine dust you are talking about. I presume when you say they shine it you mean they wax the car as well. That makes the surface very slick and that dust will come right off.

OK I'll see if I can find a link to a pic of one of these devices.

http://www.autogeek.net/california-jelly-blade-duster.html

My BMW is a bit older, but I am still rather finicky about it I guess. I don't understand all the hostility on this thread. . .

I don't know of any car wash in Bangkok that charges 60 baht. The lowest I've seen is 80baht by dodgy characters at the back of second grade gas stations. Car washes at Dept. stores charge upto 300 baht.

>>>

After reading the op, I don't think Alex can afford "Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax" or any other fancy item.

Car washes at Dept. stores charge upto 300 baht.

And be careful when asking them to clean the interior. One time my friend has his interior 'cleaned'. He came back to find the seats and carpet out! Cost over 2000 baht.

The meguiars wax is pretty good, and uses a lot less elbow grease than some other waxes. I also use the karshine spray on wax that is much quicker to keep it looking good (until the next rain storm anyway!)

Hi :o

I get my Volvo washed at the BP station next to my home, price 120 Baht incl. wax, 150 Baht incl. engine wash. I also have my oil changes done there, really can't complain - the car goes in dirty and comes out clean, they also vacuum the seats (i've got NO leather seats) and clean the windows from inside.

My motorbike i clean myself - once every few months i go over it with a garden hose, and every few weeks i just (dry) wipe off dust etc.

But my bike is moved a hel_l of a lot more than the car, with that insane traffic in BKK :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

PS calls his BMW "Beamy".... what should i call my Volvo? Wolfie?? My bike's called "Bulldozer" :D

PS calls his BMW "Beamy".... what should i call my Volvo? Wolfie?? My bike's called "Bulldozer" :o

Hmmm

In Australia we call them traffic hazards.

but hey i would rather push my BMW (bring me workshop) than drive a volvo

Just clean the car!

You surely dont need to ask advice on how to clean a car, BMW or Lada, it doesnt matter.

The magic combination is soapy water and elbow grease, or an alternative to that combination is the 60 baht option.

Third option is to get a driver to do it, but my driver always takes the car to the cheapo car wash thinking they are doing me a favour by saving money. They do a crap job. That means every Sunday while im driving myself to one of the shopping malls, i get an expensive job done to make sure its cleaned properly.

Come to think of it, maybe there is a connection between my driver and that crappy car wash.... Brother... Cousin maybe?

Hi all,

Really wonderfull to see so many heartwarming responses to my enquiry.

Thanks!!!!

The petrol station here at the end of Rama 3 (Just before the bridge) does a decent job for just only 60 Baht, really true!

In the past I also payed between 80-120 for just a wash untill I saw Thai's pay 60, so I just give them 60 and it seems OK.

Indeed department stores charge around 260-280 but including the interior and glass treatment and a big free can of leather spray.

Last week I was at Central and decided to also have the seats cleaned after the lady sponged some stuff on the leather and showed me how clean they could become.

Big big mistake!

The leather was completely dried out, clean but not treated afterwards. I did that myself in the afternoon.

I would really love to clean and claybar and wax it myself but there is no good area in my condo here other then the parking which has poor lighting.

ZZS, the dusting thingy seems a good idea, will try to find one thanks for that!

And urrrrr... Elkango how often do you change wash yourself/clothes a week? :D

John, I would love to have a place where I could was my car, very relaxing! :D

Mijan, you have many great ideas, will look into it and report back.

Stingray, I did the same in my homecountry as for a long time I just did not have the money to buy a nice car. :D

Richard, many thanks for your reply, it shows understanding, common sense and logic, Big thank!

Culicine, thanks for that. I guess I just did not realise we have a change of weather that is causing it. :D

Twchw, why you have such a strange name here? :D

Dotcom, please tell me where and when. :D

Plus, I really get my car washed for 60, see somewhere in my reply.

And yes all, I was really a bit bored when I started to think about making this post, and wanted to provoke some funny/hostile reactions.

Specially the 60 Baht comment did it I guess. :o

Anyway a bit of examples on how your car could look after a good treatment: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Take care all, I am just a guy that loves cars.

No Hi So guy, OK.

Kind regards,

Alex

I'll try to pay 60 baht at an 80 baht station next time, though pissing off the guy who washes your car is not a good idea.

For me, the problem with cheap washes is that there's nothing to do there while I'm waiting. Stations that have nice coffee tend to charge more, too. Dept stores are ideal but also the most expensive.

Some office buildings provide regular washes for a reasonable fee.

Plus,

You can get a good wash for just 60.

29200 for an 80 Baht wash per year if wash everyday

21900 for a 60 Baht wash everyday

That is a 7300 Baht difference per year.

7300:60= 121 washes per year!

That is about 30%!!!!

BUY SOME SOAP AND WASH IT EVERY DAY... WAIT, I AM SURE THE SECURITY GUARD WILL DO THAT FOR YOU EVERY NIGHT. OFFER HIM 1500B a month to clean your car every night, sure he will say yes...

Clean Car + Happy security guard watching your LOVE + Respect from other people since your car is clean ever morning...

Problem solved...

Snowflake,

That is one very good idea!!!!

Works out 50 Baht a wash!

The only thing is that I need to give him the key of my car as a hose is there, but at the outside parking.........

How to deal with that?

:o

Nothing wrong with a protective cover of dirt to keep the paintwork underneath in pristine condition.

Can't imagine the untold harm all those washes with harsh chemicals and detergents must do to the paint, not to mention the harm the pollutant laiden rain does to an unprotected surface.

Sorry Alex, but I think your affection is misplaced and you're doing more harm than good. Going to a car cleaner is just asking for trouble.

A spray painter (he did Rolls Royce pre delivery fixes and repairs) told me: "when you get a new car it has the factory applied paint protection which protects it during the manufacturing and assembly process, warehousing and distribution/transport to the dealer. Also, the paint should be allowed to harden thoroughly (unknown time between painting and delivery to customer) before washing or application of any chemicals. Don't wash the car for 6 months after you receive it. Then give it a good wash with a mild soap like Sunlight. Then apply 2 coats (or more) of a natural paste type wax like carnauba. Apply and buff by hand. Do not wash your car again for another 6 months (unless it get's caked in something and only use water, so soap, detergent or chemical). If you have enough wax applied you'll only ever have to dust it clean if dry, or chamois it dry if wet and it will sparkle for 6 months without washing. The paintwork wil always look good and avoid costly resprays 10-15 years later (assuming you like your car and want to keep it). Chaffeurs are always spot polishing and dusting, never washing. Don't hear of too many Rollers being resprayed.

Nothing wrong with a protective cover of dirt to keep the paintwork underneath in pristine condition.

Please see your comment about poluted air.

Can't imagine the untold harm all those washes with harsh chemicals and detergents must do to the paint, not to mention the harm the pollutant laiden rain does to an unprotected surface.

All good quality car shampoo are PH neutral (PH 6-7).

Sorry Alex, but I think your affection is misplaced and you're doing more harm than good. Going to a car cleaner is just asking for trouble.

I do not think so, as paint has pores and it will absorb the nasty stuff from the dirt that is on the surface

A spray painter (he did Rolls Royce pre delivery fixes and repairs) told me: "when you get a new car it has the factory applied paint protection which protects it during the manufacturing and assembly process, warehousing and distribution/transport to the dealer. Also, the paint should be allowed to harden thoroughly (unknown time between painting and delivery to customer) before washing or application of any chemicals. Don't wash the car for 6 months after you receive it. Then give it a good wash with a mild soap like Sunlight. Then apply 2 coats (or more) of a natural paste type wax like carnauba. Apply and buff by hand. Do not wash your car again for another 6 months (unless it get's caked in something and only use water, so soap, detergent or chemical). If you have enough wax applied you'll only ever have to dust it clean if dry, or chamois it dry if wet and it will sparkle for 6 months without washing. The paintwork wil always look good and avoid costly resprays 10-15 years later (assuming you like your car and want to keep it). Chaffeurs are always spot polishing and dusting, never washing. Don't hear of too many Rollers being resprayed.

You need to understand what type of paint is used at the OEM.

First you need to know the difference between thermo plastic and thermo setting paint and what is used where.

Both need different treatment.

Most car manufacturers will apply plastic sheets on the horizontal parts of the vehicle to protect the OEM finish against acid rain and bird poop whilst the cars are waiting outside to be transported.

In the past they used some kind of tectyle coating that was difficult to remove but cheaper compared to plastic sheets.

Most cars nowadays are painted with Thermo setting paint but are sensitive to acid rain and other stuff due to underbaking.

Why, The OEM paint needs to be dried at 180 Degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.

Most cut the cost by either drying too short or at a lower temp.

This means the OEM paint will never fully crosslink and will be sensitive for dirt and acid rain and stuff as it stays soft (chemically).

Next to that about 30% of new cars have been repaired at the PDI center already, using OEM paint (for color accuracy and clear) that dries only at temp of 180 Celsius. But they can never have a panel reach that temp as it will melt the plastic parts.

This is one of the reasons I know it is good to keep your car clean at all times.

I have been working in this kind of bizz for 30 years so I think I know a bit about coatings and how to preserve.

Kind regards,

Alex

Alex, take it to WAC once a week, he's next to Carrefour on Rama4, great bunch of car guys there. 200 baht inside outside clean. Furthermore its the unofficial headquarters of ECR (Euro Club Race) so you can join up and come to trackday on July 12 and give the thing a proper trashing.....

H

Please see your comment about poluted air.

All good quality car shampoo are PH neutral (PH 6-7).

I do not think so, as paint has pores and it will absorb the nasty stuff from the dirt that is on the surface

You need to understand what type of paint is used at the OEM.

First you need to know the difference between thermo plastic and thermo setting paint and what is used where.

Both need different treatment.

Most car manufacturers will apply plastic sheets on the horizontal parts of the vehicle to protect the OEM finish against acid rain and bird poop whilst the cars are waiting outside to be transported.

In the past they used some kind of tectyle coating that was difficult to remove but cheaper compared to plastic sheets.

Most cars nowadays are painted with Thermo setting paint but are sensitive to acid rain and other stuff due to underbaking.

Why, The OEM paint needs to be dried at 180 Degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.

Most cut the cost by either drying too short or at a lower temp.

This means the OEM paint will never fully crosslink and will be sensitive for dirt and acid rain and stuff as it stays soft (chemically).

Next to that about 30% of new cars have been repaired at the PDI center already, using OEM paint (for color accuracy and clear) that dries only at temp of 180 Celsius. But they can never have a panel reach that temp as it will melt the plastic parts.

This is one of the reasons I know it is good to keep your car clean at all times.

I have been working in this kind of bizz for 30 years so I think I know a bit about coatings and how to preserve.

Kind regards,

Alex

I guess if you're going to drive a mass produced vehicle you might want to try and take care of it, but ultimately it's not made to last no matter what you do to it, paintwork included. An exercise in futility, a bit like after market "rustproofing".

The method I described above works perfectly with hand made cars which are built to last.

If I'm driving a mass produced vehicle I never wash the exterior except for the windows. WOFTAM.