To Many Doom And Gloomers, Thb V Gbp

I remember a few months ago all the doom and gloomers came out of the woodwork spouting there crap that this was the end of the GBP. predictions that is will go down to the 50s or lower!

I even remember the post where they were all saying it wouldnt be going up to the high 60s to 70 baht this decade or the next!!

laughable crap, where are all the doom and gloomers now? dont be shy!!!

I am and have been a doom and gloomer.. But I also have no faith in the Baht either..

The pound in your pocket will be worth very little in either currency with inflation raging as it is.. Doesnt matter how many baht its worth if it will only buy 1/2 liter of gasoline...

I remember a few months ago all the doom and gloomers came out of the woodwork spouting there crap that this was the end of the GBP. predictions that is will go down to the 50s or lower!

I even remember the post where they were all saying it wouldnt be going up to the high 60s to 70 baht this decade or the next!!

I agree - Things are not good but we do not all have to commit suicide just yet :o

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm

66 ish at the moment - you know things go up and things go down - There is one certainty you are going to die - how you get there is your choice, for me I will try to be :D in Bangkok (I don't think I am going to have to try very hard BTW).

Still more downside than upside long term. Currencies go up and down, to expect anyhing else would be foolish. THB might weaken a little more vs USD short term. That won't necessarily benefit GBP much more...

To expect GBP to hit 70 and hold there consistently... well you're welcome to base your plans on that. I won't be doing.

Sub-60 will be seen consistently in the next few years, rather than 70+, but enjoy the moments GBP does strengthen. It will do sometimes, but longer term it's generally heading down... :o

Still more downside than upside long term. Currencies go up and down, to expect anyhing else would be foolish. THB might weaken a little more vs USD short term. That won't necessarily benefit GBP much more...

To expect GBP to hit 70 and hold there consistently... well you're welcome to base your plans on that. I won't be doing.

Sub-60 will be seen consistently in the next few years, rather than 70+, but enjoy the moments GBP does strengthen. It will do sometimes, but longer term it's generally heading down... :o

Stange post !!!

The pound hasnt strengthened-its "flat"against the US Dollar neither up or down at 1.98 ish.

What has changed is a weakening of the baht re the Dollar nothing else .

Stange post !!!

The pound hasnt strengthened-its "flat"against the US Dollar neither up or down at 1.98 ish.

What has changed is a weakening of the baht re the Dollar nothing else .

I was talking about GBP vs THB. Not GBP vs USD. I did also mentioned USD v THB. Sorry if not clear :D

Since you mention it though, the GBP is on a general downtrend vs USD. It peaked above 2, in 2nd half of last year, and is slowly falling. The UK and GBP's problems are lagging the US and USD ones a bit. :D Long term I don't fancy either GBP or USD, and prefer THB, tho' will always hold a mix! :D

That is the sort of doom and gloom i mean!! I mean you can say all this stuff but at the end of the day you dont know what will happen to the currencies in the future otherwise i expect u would be making millions on forex!!

Instead of doom and gloom keep your depressing thoughts to yourself!! The west is full of depression dont bring it to thailand or thaivisa! Afterall what does LOS mean?

That is the sort of doom and gloom i mean!! I mean you can say all this stuff but at the end of the day you dont know what will happen to the currencies in the future otherwise i expect u would be making millions on forex!!

Instead of doom and gloom keep your depressing thoughts to yourself!! The west is full of depression dont bring it to thailand or thaivisa! Afterall what does LOS mean?

Dont shoot the messenger, make your own plays and get rich or fail on your own smarts. Its not doom and gloom if your working it.

But as you can search a users posts.. Since 2002 my calls are on the record.. Silver (from 6's), gold (from mid 300's), declining dollar v Eur (tho now 1.60 seems a hard line).. I also posted for periods about Zinc and Uranium and posted when I went out.. Called a 14k top to the dow (didnt have the balls to short it tho) and made a short the homebuilders and lenders in May 06. So if the posts and time stamped.. And then correct.. How do you refute them ?? You can call it doom and gloom but none of this was hard to see, none of this was especially amazing or surprising.

The US real estate has a lot lower to go, financials have more pain, and the credit situation isnt resolved.. I still think Gold and moreso silver are going to do a moon shot.

I agree - Things are not good but we do not all have to commit suicide just yet :o

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm

66 ish at the moment - you know things go up and things go down - There is one certainty you are going to die - how you get there is your choice, for me I will try to be :D in Bangkok (I don't think I am going to have to try very hard BTW).

Great post pkrv.I for one cannot be more happy and if it costs nid noi more so be it.For the people who could struggle tighten your belt a bit and dont worry.Hope i am still saying this in 10 years time and 20 years time.

Dont shoot the messenger, make your own plays and get rich or fail on your own smarts. Its not doom and gloom if your working it.

But as you can search a users posts.. Since 2002 my calls are on the record.. Silver (from 6's), gold (from mid 300's), declining dollar v Eur (tho now 1.60 seems a hard line).. I also posted for periods about Zinc and Uranium and posted when I went out.. Called a 14k top to the dow (didnt have the balls to short it tho) and made a short the homebuilders and lenders in May 06. So if the posts and time stamped.. And then correct.. How do you refute them ?? You can call it doom and gloom but none of this was hard to see, none of this was especially amazing or surprising.

The US real estate has a lot lower to go, financials have more pain, and the credit situation isnt resolved.. I still think Gold and moreso silver are going to do a moon shot.

The doom and gloom im talking about is the doom and gloom people were saying about what will happen to the GBP against the thai baht! i know there are ups and downs, but my point is people(and lots of them, maybe uk haters) were saying there will be no up, just down and down from here on! well what a suprise it has its now at 66 and still rising! it might get to 70 it might not, but there no need for depressing speculation when you just dont know what lies ahead!

Its also interesting that the doom and gloom posts where in this forum, unlike if something was posted in news papers cliipings or gereral about currencies etc the response was generally more up beat! does that say something? or is it just me?

Well inflation is the one thats going to change the ballgame.. Doesnt matter if the pound is 70 baht when the cost of living here doubles, or worse..

I am racing to protect any assets against that.. I have managed 300% or so in the last 5 or so years and so feel ahead of inflation but the cost of a nice lifestyle here is rising right on my heels. I would bet on double digit real inflation for a good few years out, if your investments stay static or you get caught out in equity drops the combined effect of that in real purchasing power is gonna hurt.

Edited by LivinLOS

We will need 70 to the pound. British Embassy BKK have increased all consular fees ( from 30 June 2008 ) based on £1 = 70 Baht.

( to counter inflation ) :o:D TIT

P

Why didnt the thai embassies lower there prices when the pound dropped to 61? maybe nows its got back to 66 they might say they need to hike there prices up for visas!!

Anyway this has strayed away from the topic title!

Edited by tomuk76

Really, everything balances out at the end, and usins are on the wrong side of the scale. However, I did hear the US $ is unexpectedly going to soar. I would buy all the US $ I could, but I'm broke. Can anyone lend me a few quid?

well what a suprise it has its now at 66 and still rising! it might get to 70 it might not, but there no need for depressing speculation when you just dont know what lies ahead!

I'll eat my hat if I understand what the heck you're trying to tell the audience here.... :D

Wasn't it you who wrote the topic title:

"To Many Doom And Gloomers, Thb V Gbp,----it wont get back to 70 this decade or the next!!" ???

Well, it's Baht 66.950 now to the GBP and you're telling/predicting the Baht will NOT reach 70 to the GBP before the end of 2020 ?

post-13995-1214781682_thumb.png Pound Sterling - Thai Baht - past twelve months

I'll have another :o

LaoPo

well what a suprise it has its now at 66 and still rising! it might get to 70 it might not, but there no need for depressing speculation when you just dont know what lies ahead!

I'll eat my hat if I understand what the heck you're trying to tell the audience here.... :D

Wasn't it you who wrote the topic title:

"To Many Doom And Gloomers, Thb V Gbp,----it wont get back to 70 this decade or the next!!" ???

Well, it's Baht 66.950 now to the GBP and you're telling/predicting the Baht will NOT reach 70 to the GBP before the end of 2020 ?

post-13995-1214781682_thumb.png Pound Sterling - Thai Baht - past twelve months

I'll have another :o

LaoPo

Ok go find your hat!! if you read the first post then i state that i remember the doom and gloomers where saying the baht will not reach 70 to the GBP this decade or the next! and yes it looks like it might get to 70, possibly next month not the next decade!!

Im sorry if i made the heading confusing!

Tomuk,

Think you've picked the wrong person to deem a doom and gloom merchant. I'm usually one of life's optimists! :D So I guess when someone like me tells you it's not looking good, you really need to worry :D

Approaches to currency investing/ speculating differ. As LivinLOS says,... no need to shoot the messenger... :D . LivinLOS is someone who plays currencies a lot more than I do, and seems to be doing well out of it.

Then you've got those types who bury their head in the sand, and pretend it's not happening, until they can no longer afford to live in LOS. That's not me either.

Myself, I'm not a big currency player. It's not my area of expertise (tho' I do sometimes feel like the one-eyed man, who's among some of the many blind on TV... :D ). Few small players are experts in this field, with the markets dominated by large scale institutions, unlike say equities where it's easier to find your own niche, given a much wider choice, and less need to deal at speed. I have no great delight in any currency going in any direction, and certainly no great emotional attachment positive or negative to any currency. I've about 1/3 net worth where I was born, 1/3 in Thailand, and 1/3 spread around other currencies... :D .

I do take views and positions from time to time on currencies, but mainly keep a diversified situation where I don't really care one way or the other on currencies!!! You seem emotionally attached to your pound, and not very happy when anyone says otherwise. Perhaps you need a rethink! :D

I haven't been a fan of USD for most of the 2000's. For the first time this year I preferred it's potential to EUR or GBP. I think GBP will fair worst of the 3 in 2008. Bad luck if you don't want to hear it... :D Will I be right? Maybe/not, but I've put myself in a position not to worry too much either way.

BTW: Long term I think USD will weaken. So will GBP and EUR. USD will weaken most as it is the most important currency in the world now. But the world is changing, and USD is past its peak, as is the US as a country. That's not bashing any of these countries and their currencies, just accepting the East has a more important role to play going forward. Hence so will their currencies.

Meanwhile all of them will continue going up and down. Your guess is as good as mine on any single day's/week's/month's movement. Looking at the longer term though: more downside than upside for each of USD/EUR/GBP. That doesn't mean I'm "anti-farang" for saying so... Just accepting life and dealing/planning for it and putting myself in control/protecting myself in this lovely LOS B)

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

You seem emotionally attached to your pound, and not very happy when anyone says otherwise. Perhaps you need a rethink! :o

I am english so of course i should be! Even though i live in thailand i will always be english and care about my country!

However i was just curious to see what these people who said the pound would go sub 60 or never get to 70 again would say! I dont trade in currency i dont want to! i am just purely interested! I dont have a pound to my name!

You seem emotionally attached to your pound, and not very happy when anyone says otherwise. Perhaps you need a rethink! :D

I have no pounds and I'm not English; not even my mother tongue, so I'm not emotionally involved :D

I simply didn't understand your point; but now I do. :o

LaoPo

Approaches to currency investing/ speculating differ. As LivinLOS says,... no need to shoot the messenger... :o . LivinLOS is someone who plays currencies a lot more than I do, and seems to be doing well out of it.

I dont really play currencies much.. Commodities more.. But I have had strong opinions previously..

Right now they all look awful and hard assets (and equity involved in extracting them) are the only holds..