The Avenue Shopping Mall

NotNew2You

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's actually worse than I originally posted. Today, out of fairness to the Avenue developers, I actually did take the time (in the blazing heat) to explore the 2nd and 3rd floors to see what was up there and how they might be doing. Well, to put it bluntly, there is NOTHING up there 95% of the tourists and residents of Pattaya would be interested in (I am not counting Major Cinema or Blue-O Bowl). Besides Shenanigans and a Japanese buffet restaurant, everything else is pretty uninteresting.

To start with, a large space on the 2nd floor is the upper floor of Starbuck's ground flooor space so is not a new business. The same goes for a large space on the 3rd floor, it's an extension of the Orangery restaurant from the 2nd floor. At the top of the elevators to the 2nd floor, there are are a couple pathetic cheapo jewelry/women's accessory shops. One entire section off the garage where the model car/airplane shop and its neighbors is all boarded-up now. 3 separate businesses were there and they are now all gone. Toward the back a very large space is taken up by a electronic game arcade. There is also a Vietnamese restaurant.

On the 3rd floor, there is a sad little photo-manipulation shop where they take your photo and put it on George Bush and stuff like that. Maybe it would work on Beach road or Walking Street but I doubt many tourists make it up here. A couple women's facial clinics, a nail salon, and spa round out the offerings. All stuff that you can find all around Pattaya in abundance...so no reason to patronize these particular ones.

Also, can't remember what floor but there is a large plush sales office for the new Raimon Loft's Pattaya condo project.

NotNew, I agree, the business mix is not compelling. So many of those businesses will fail. Maybe that means the mall will fail, but they could also be replaced by businesses that do attract people. I think you did hit on the major design flaw there. What draws people to the smaller shops on the upper floors there? Not much.

Maybe that means the mall will fail, but they could also be replaced by businesses that do attract people.

Jingthing...you had some good suggestions on interesting new restaurant ideas that would surely be a draw. (Me thinks you might be a little homesick, where the restaurant selection is so varied. :o )

There also has to be some interesting retail and service businesses but what they might be I don't know.

Edited by NotNew2You

I cant believe nobody has mentioned the very poor design of the car park, I prefer to park in a nearby soi and walk there but then you have cross second road. Access to the place is a nghtmare.

I think the Thais way overdid the mall developmen , just like they overdid the 7-11s on every corner. You have Big C, Gardens Mall, Mike's, the place where Shenanigan's is, and now that huge place. Not to mention the Tesco Lotus and Carre 4s that are around the corners. You know the typical Pattaya Thai native will not shop in these new developments. I guess somebody thinks they can make money or they pay very smally building loan interest or land rent or something. I don't like this many shopping places. Doesn't add anything to the city and doens't make one think they are in Thailand. I wonder who bankrolled this one? Foreign investors?

I think there is definitely room for a "destination" mall in Pattaya, with all the tourists (Thai and foreign), resident expatriates, and wealthier Thai in the area. However, the Avenue certainly isn't it. However, I beleive that the Central mall will be such a place and do very well. They will have an anchor department store (Central itself) with a wide selection of hard and soft goods one cannot find locally at present. The closest we have to a real department store is Robinson in Sri Racha. (Mike department store has some limited selection of stuff too but it's not presented very well (reminds me of a 1960 American department store/mall in presentation)).

There will be little customer/merchandise overlap between the new Central and places like Lotus/Carrefore/Big C as they appeal to different markets. RGM will really start to hurt as it isn't a real shopping center (no anchor tenant for one) and is more or less geared exclusively to tourists.

I think the Thais way overdid the mall developmen , just like they overdid the 7-11s on every corner. You have Big C, Gardens Mall, Mike's, the place where Shenanigan's is, and now that huge place. Not to mention the Tesco Lotus and Carre 4s that are around the corners. You know the typical Pattaya Thai native will not shop in these new developments.

You make it sound like it was some kind of unified effort. Like anywhere else there are multiple interests involved, not just the various mall owners (who aren't on the same 'team' either).

Also nevermind the fact that it's native Pattaya Thais who still indeed own and control most of the wealth in Pattaya and much of Cholburi.

:o

Also nevermind the fact that it's native Pattaya Thais who still indeed own and control most of the wealth in Pattaya and much of Cholburi.

Central is also building one of their malls in Chonburi (Cholburi) city too. I guess they have seen there is local wealth to soak of there as well :o

I cant believe nobody has mentioned the very poor design of the car park, I prefer to park in a nearby soi and walk there but then you have cross second road. Access to the place is a nghtmare.

I made a post on another thread about the Multi story car park the first time I ever used it, 6 months or more ago, I couldn't believe how badly designed it was, I try not to use it anymore on my rare trips to Villa, now there tends to be vacant spots out the front most of the time.

I too would prefer to park in a nearby soi, whether visiting the Avenue, or anywhere else in Pattaya, but generally, except for the early morning before 10am, it is impossible!

Perhaps the owners would do better if the whole complex were turned into a multi storey carpark

I think Siam Future and the family who owns the property (no doubt not their sole possession in this world) probably aren't on the edge of their seats yet.

The only thing I find off about the parking system is the double ticket system. Surely just one at the entrance is enough. Otherwise the parking is a non-issue.

What will happen when it closes down and Shenanigans wants to go back....?

Can't imagine Marriott's ohhhh so cooool "Moore" pub is doing any business. Place is so dead, they are advertising Free Magaritas all nite long (on Thursdays I recall) for ladies (in order to draw some guys in the door)! Probably happy to re-lease to the Shenigan boys if the opportunity ever arose :o

What about the 'Saving Face' aspect?

I wonder if khatoeys are eligible for the free cocktails?

Only McDonalds will flourish.....maybe McDonalds will buy the whole complex and make a McDonalds World........

I agree McDonald's has the only draw there. The mall is otherwise overpriced & kinda boring. at least royal garden has a sense of entertainment & enjoyment. Besides high prices deal to a niche crowd & if you live here. go there for what.I don't mind spranking for a day out or nite out for great cusine- but I just don't see it there.

I feel sorry for all the vendors that thought they would be able to make some cash instead of getting gaffed on rent!

Macdonald's will always do good that & 7-11's

Edited by Beardog

Most of the multi storey car parks in Thailand are badly designed.

Have you ever been in the Emporium multi storey in Bangkok? What a nightmare! If you're not careful you'll never see the light of day again :o

But it's all part of life's rich pattern in Thailand. :D

The Avenue is a dump in the making. I don't even like their bowling alley where they try to con you a la California Wow!! Tops bowling is much more user friendly and very easy to park.

Massive misjudgement by architect and developers - no doubt will become a 'non performing loan' for a few major banks in years to come.

I still think the Avenue will stumble for awhile and eventually find its identity/niche. However, it seems like nobody agrees with me, so I am probably wrong. But a thought just occurred to me: I don't really care either way. If not one mall, then another mall, there will always be malls.

Edited by Jingthing

Have you ever been in the Emporium multi storey in Bangkok? What a nightmare! If you're not careful you'll never see the light of day again :D

I spent over 2 hours in this fine establishment last week, 50 minutes to find a parking spot, 10 minutes to pick something up, then a bleedin hour to find car (yea your supposed to look at the number, but when you have been driving around in sqwircles for near an hour you are more interested in killing some thing!) and get out of the place.................... :o

Edited by CGW

Time to demolish it and bring back the Palm Villa.......400 bt a night and a pool........plus Danemark "ot dogs just outside at 20bt a pop.for a late morning snack....never be the same again.....

I still think the Avenue will stumble for awhile and eventually find its identity/niche. ...................

Me too. Surely the best cinema in Pattya, for now. McDonalds, Shenanigans, C-Wow, Villa market, Starbucks, decent bowling alley. So some of the small badly thought through establishments go under. I expect them to be replaced by entertainment places, eateries, 7 which is surely the "natural evolution" for this location.

I visited The Avenue Shopping Mall for the first time last week, i was quite looking forward to it - I thought it was going to be busy like Big C and Royal Garden, I stayed approx 30 mins and could not wait to get out of the place, it was empty, there was hardly anyone there and half the shops were closed - very dissappointing, i wont be going there again and doubt if it will be open long term.

An Oishi express buffet might work. Local draw and tourist draw as backup. It's their bare bones version that is the less expensive all in one price, so you get the cheap charlie/somchai market who like to chow down and rest for 2+ hours, and for normal folks, it's still a decent value. With any luck, the seafood might get fresher as well.

I don't think the mall has much of a future as a retail/restaurant attraction. I think the better use would be as some type of "entertainment" plaza. By this, I mean a combination of family/couples entertainment, as already exists with the cinema, bowling and karaoke lounge AND a naughty nitelife component. For one thing, it already has the layout that would work for such a use and is in a good location. It would be no loss to visitors and residents not interested in such entertainment as Central will be up and running soon and a few years later, the MBK mall (and others we have yet to hear about).

The open-air layout, while a handicap for a pure retail/restaurant mall is ideal for an entertainment plaza. All the successful ones in Thailand are of an outdoor type (e.g., Walking Street, Nana, Cowboy, Patpong, Bangla). The ground floor could be reserved for non-bar tenants like already exist and for allowing families to make their way to the movies/bowling "unmolested" and the 2nd and 3rd floors could be fitted-out with "happy ending" massage joints, gogos and beer-bars. All of the existing restaurant/cafe tenants would surely benefit from the crowds that would come because mongers usually have/work-up big appetites and also like to often feed their ladies too. It might also become something like a tourist destination in its own right like Walking Street in the evenings.

The "new" mall would also benefit as the long-term trend is to kick-out the naughty places from prime beach front locations and the sois running between Beach and 2nd roads. It's only a matter of time when sois 7/8, Post Office, and Yamoto are redeveloped into hotels and other more upscale uses than their present ones. Malibu Bar across from Avenue has already been demolished and is being redeveloped. Over time, Post Office all the way to the Beach will likely go the same way. Where will all the bars go to...some to Bua Khow yes but the Avenue would be another great alternative. All the new small condos in the the soi behind the Avenue that are being build will also provide a natural customer base for the new use Avenue.

Edited by NotNew2You

I think they need to get a beer bar complex in there!

Ironically part of the site was an outdoor style shopping mall with many small single story shop units. Just before it's closure and demolition it was drifting towards becoming a beer bar complex. So if it did as you say it would certainly be a case of what goes around comes around.

I've been to the Avenue mall twice, once to Shenanigans and once to a shop (can't remember what it was for). I don't particularly like those Irish style pubs, I don't travel to Thailand to drink in someone's idealised vision of an Irish boozer, so that is not an attraction for me. The shop I never located so I went elsewhere and found what I want (RGP if memory serves me).

I can't say I either liked nor disliked the place, it just failed to make any impression on me so I don't expect I'll be rushing back.

I don't think the mall has much of a future as a retail/restaurant attraction. I think the better use would be as some type of "entertainment" plaza. By this, I mean a combination of family/couples entertainment, as already exists with the cinema, bowling and karaoke lounge AND a naughty nitelife component. For one thing, it already has the layout that would work for such a use and is in a good location.

The open-air layout, while a handicap for a pure retail/restaurant mall is ideal for an entertainment plaza. All the successful ones in Thailand are of an outdoor type (e.g., Walking Street, Nana, Cowboy, Patpong, Bangla).

Soi Eric (off Bangla in Patong, Phuket) was built in the open-air style, with coordinated music and so on - trying to eradicate the mistakes of a series of uncontrolled bars all next to one another - such as Soi bangla itself.

But only the front few bars made any money in the first few years - the ones at the back were money-sinks. Haven't been there for three or four years, so things may have changed, but we made money at the back of Soi SeaDragon, friends lost money in Soi Eric - even in high season.

Crossing Second Road is the problem in Pattaya - people will not come out of Soi post Office / Soi Yamato / RGP and walk acriss 2nd Road - they will drift North or South on the same side of the road - which carries 3-4 times more foot traffic until the last (South) couple of hundred metres - say from Northern Thai Realty souuthwards. Thats the only crowded footpath on that side of Second Road.