Your Local Police Shop

Gaccha

How do you spend you time and money when you are at the Immigration Office in Bangkok for your 90 day notification? How about crossing the road to the official police souvenir shop, then buying the Royal Thai immigration police shirt, cap, reflective gear, and heading across the road to stand in line for your immigration visa. It has to be worth the 500 bahts for the amusement factor.

And if that is not enough, you can always buy police lights for your car (along with police stickers), pepper spray, rank and medals, truncheon, police holster (automatic or revolver), police bag, motorbike helmet (yep, the really silly ones), the peaked caps (even sillier). The uniforms are either normal police, tourist police or immigration police. All of these will look hilariously incongruous on a farang standing on Sukhumvit Road and so worth every penny. :D

It is not quite possible to copy a police officer as the uncomfortable brown shirt is not in stock, but I am sure that will all will change with the new uniform.

I think the fact the police are selling pepper spray suggests to me it is probably legal to possess on the streets. In the UK it is classed as a firearm. And as for the extendable truncheon, I tested it, and unlike the awful Chinese ones, it actually fixes in place and doesn't fly apart. :o

How do you spend you time and money when you are at the Immigration Office in Bangkok for your 90 day notification? How about crossing the road to the official police souvenir shop, then buying the Royal Thai immigration police shirt, cap, reflective gear, and heading across the road to stand in line for your immigration visa. It has to be worth the 500 bahts for the amusement factor.

And if that is not enough, you can always buy police lights for your car (along with police stickers), pepper spray, rank and medals, truncheon, police holster (automatic or revolver), police bag, motorbike helmet (yep, the really silly ones), the peaked caps (even sillier). The uniforms are either normal police, tourist police or immigration police. All of these will look hilariously incongruous on a farang standing on Sukhumvit Road and so worth every penny. :D

It is not quite possible to copy a police officer as the uncomfortable brown shirt is not in stock, but I am sure that will all will change with the new uniform.

I think the fact the police are selling pepper spray suggests to me it is probably legal to possess on the streets. In the UK it is classed as a firearm. And as for the extendable truncheon, I tested it, and unlike the awful Chinese ones, it actually fixes in place and doesn't fly apart. :o

Is there a point to this childish behavior?

A point you say, sure is!!  TiT, anything goes, or almost so...

Well said, Gaccha.

Mac

I think the fact the police are selling pepper spray suggests to me it is probably legal to possess on the streets. In the UK it is classed as a firearm. And as for the extendable truncheon, I tested it, and unlike the awful Chinese ones, it actually fixes in place and doesn't fly apart. :D

Childish behaviour does not need a point. :o

But like much general prankery it aims to raise questions on society, see through social norms and question our understanding of the world. Why are there no farang police in Bangkok. In England, my local police station had an American, a German (with a made-for-tv hilarious 'vee hav vays off making vuu talk' accent) and a Pole. None were British citizens.

Another issue it raises is of the silly and petty immigration rules. Why have a 90 day notification procedure. If you ahve a 1 year visa, why are you chronically telling them where you live. If you wear an immigration officers uniform while standing at the immigration officer desk, it may just, it just might, with hope and head raised high, raise a question as to why things are as they are. :D

Comedians take themselves very seriously. :D

I think the fact the police are selling pepper spray suggests to me it is probably legal to possess on the streets. In the UK it is classed as a firearm. And as for the extendable truncheon, I tested it, and unlike the awful Chinese ones, it actually fixes in place and doesn't fly apart. :D

Childish behaviour does not need a point. :o

But like much general prankery it aims to raise questions on society, see through social norms and question our understanding of the world. Why are there no farang police in Bangkok. In England, my local police station had an American, a German (with a made-for-tv hilarious 'vee hav vays off making vuu talk' accent) and a Pole. None were British citizens.

Another issue it raises is of the silly and petty immigration rules. Why have a 90 day notification procedure. If you ahve a 1 year visa, why are you chronically telling them where you live. If you wear an immigration officers uniform while standing at the immigration officer desk, it may just, it just might, with hope and head raised high, raise a question as to why things are as they are. :D

Comedians take themselves very seriously. :D

For a second there I thought you wanted people to come and dress up as police. But I see the humor in the situation now. Little odd I must say. But yeah it doesn’t surprise me at all.

Do they sell AK's and rocket launchers? For visa facilitation purposes only, of course.

What is the address of this shop and what is the best way to get there.  I want to go (seriously).  I'm a collector of law enforcement stuff.  I have patches and pins from all over the world...but not Thailand.

What is the address of this shop and what is the best way to get there. I want to go (seriously). I'm a collector of law enforcement stuff. I have patches and pins from all over the world...but not Thailand.

If you come to Pattaya there is one in the grounds of the Pattaya station on soi 9. Open during the day.

What is the address of this shop and what is the best way to get there. I want to go (seriously). I'm a collector of law enforcement stuff. I have patches and pins from all over the world...but not Thailand.

If you come to Pattaya there is one in the grounds of the Pattaya station on soi 9. Open during the day.

The shop is directly opposite the Immigration Office of Bangkok. To get to it: walk south from BTS Sala Daeng, down Soi Sala Daeng until you hit a big road. Turn right (i.e. West) until you reach the pedestrian bridge. Cross the bridge and head back East to the first Soi. Turn right down that SOi, keep walking until you see the Immigraiton office on your left and the police shop on the right. If you are still not sure, ask almost any white people living in Bangkok, as they virtually all ,rather relentlessly, have to head to it every 90 days.

Simon

Very intrigued that you worked at Lumpini Police Station. I know there are foreigners as police in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. I was a Special Constable (i.e. volunteer police officer) in the UK. It was great fun being able to help people and get in the odd fight. Any websites to provide further information? A Special Contable in the UK has an identical uniform :D , equipment :o and powers :D of a regular police officer; what is the position in Bangkok-- is it more like "advisor"?

The shop is directly opposite the Immigration Office of Bangkok. To get to it: walk south from BTS Sala Daeng, down Soi Sala Daeng until you hit a big road. Turn right (i.e. West) until you reach the pedestrian bridge. Cross the bridge and head back East to the first Soi. Turn right down that SOi, keep walking until you see the Immigraiton office on your left and the police shop on the right. If you are still not sure, ask almost any white people living in Bangkok, as they virtually all ,rather relentlessly, have to head to it every 90 days.

Simon

Very intrigued that you worked at Lumpini Police Station. I know there are foreigners as police in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. I was a Special Constable (i.e. volunteer police officer) in the UK. It was great fun being able to help people and get in the odd fight. Any websites to provide further information? A Special Contable in the UK has an identical uniform :D , equipment :o and powers :D of a regular police officer; what is the position in Bangkok-- is it more like "advisor"?

Oh so you were one of those specials were ya? enjoyed getting into fights? No wonder you never made it.

"A Special Contable in the UK has an identical uniform :D , equipment :D and powers :( of a regular police officer" But the only problem is you didnt get paid right?

Obviously wetted your appetite. So you can rush off and get one of these:

post-60541-1217345564_thumb.png

But the pain of choice, should yoiu get this:

post-60541-1217345579_thumb.png

or this:

post-60541-1217345591_thumb.png

Or you could direct traffic with this:

post-60541-1217345615_thumb.png

Or how about this:

post-60541-1217345603_thumb.png

eh, or this:

post-60541-1217345629_thumb.png

Yep, I've found their website. The Bangkok police are rather trusting. To buy British police uniforms, the ordder address has to be a police station to ensure only police officers get them...

http://www.yakyya.com/

Simon

Very intrigued that you worked at Lumpini Police Station. I know there are foreigners as police in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. I was a Special Constable (i.e. volunteer police officer) in the UK. It was great fun being able to help people and get in the odd fight. Any websites to provide further information? A Special Contable in the UK has an identical uniform :D , equipment :D and powers :D of a regular police officer; what is the position in Bangkok-- is it more like "advisor"?

Oh so you were one of those specials were ya? enjoyed getting into fights? No wonder you never made it.

"A Special Contable in the UK has an identical uniform :( , equipment :D and powers :P of a regular police officer" But the only problem is you didnt get paid right?

I am suspecting, and it is no more than a suspicion (albeit a reasonable one :o [editor's note: this is a UK lawyer/police joke]) that you are a tad anti-police and are attempting to goad me into a fight. Well, sir, I dealt with many of your sort on police patrol. They usually spent the night in a cell sobering up and then apologising the next day for behaving so disgracefully.

So, you ask a question, and I will for the pleasure of thrid parties, answer it, "But the only problem is you didnt get paid right?". Au contraire :burp: , not getting paid was the point. It is civic duty. An opportunity to do good. To climb above the simple need of earning your bread and to help society. (eh, having said that, Specials are paid certain bounties and a minimal hourly sum). Ah, you jest, "No wonder you never made it." Never made what? You know my dreams, my ambitions, my crushing failures better than I? Pray tell, what did I never make? :D

Obviously wetted your appetite. So you can rush off and get one of these:

post-60541-1217345564_thumb.png

But the pain of choice, should yoiu get this:

post-60541-1217345579_thumb.png

or this:

post-60541-1217345591_thumb.png

Or you could direct traffic with this:

post-60541-1217345615_thumb.png

Or how about this:

post-60541-1217345603_thumb.png

eh, or this:

post-60541-1217345629_thumb.png

Yep, I've found their website. The Bangkok police are rather trusting. To buy British police uniforms, the ordder address has to be a police station to ensure only police officers get them...

http://www.yakyya.com/

None of the pictures in your post depict uniforms, rather accesorries to be worn with uniforms.

Gacha - the work at Lumpini is unpaid, and is to act as a translator and interpreter for foreign tourists who come to report thefts, muggings, druggings by BGs and er ... waking up to find their BG is in fact a LB and has stolen all their worldly goods!

If you can speak good Thai, then I can put you in touch with the British guy who manages all this (he's on Thaivisa...)

Simon

The uniforms are either normal police, tourist police or immigration police. All of these will look hilariously incongruous on a farang standing on Sukhumvit Road and so worth every penny.
I am sure most of us here understand this is a tongue in cheek post - however as no one else has mentioned the fact, I will; impersonating a police officer (any flavour) is a crime in Thailand.

I understand that in Thailand the officers do have to buy their own equipment, including sidearm.

You will find that you can buy the bits and pieces to play dress up games for you and your car - you can even buy former police cars in Thailand as well as other countries.... (All this stuff is sold for US, UK and European countries.)

However, consider the state the world is in these days - if you are caught playing at the wrong place at the wrong time by someone that wants to make an example out of you - you could very easily be found being charged under terrorist related law and not a simple misdemeanor.

Go and sit outside a certain palace and set yourself up as one of their guards - see how long you last.

Edited by Cuban

Gacha,

Thanks for the info.  I'll be in BKK in September for two weeks visiting my gf.  I'll have to make a stop there.  After I retire in 5 years, 3 months and 29 days (not that I'm counting) and move to Thailand, maybe I can get a consulting job at the local police station or at the equivalent of the Thai Federal Police.  My specialty is computer forensics and financial crime.