Inflation:pattaya Style

djinn

For years I used a car wash just near Pan Pan restaurant on Thappraya road.

It allowed me to take a meal or a drink in Panpan waiting for my car

Now the car wash pushed the price from 130 to 200 b. :o and the job was soso

Strangely there was only one other car waiting for a treatment...a 3,5 l Camry.Fear they will sink soon

By the way Panpan seems to copy them.Water bottle 100 b;pizza 390b.And quality not at the top.

It is not that I can't afford this but I don't like to pay too mutt when have a better quality and better price in many other places

So bye bye Panpan

I agree the inflation around town has been incredible. You don't see 5 or 10 percent rises. You see 25 percent or more rises. There is some very strange psychology in the air because I do not believe the business costs have gone up THAT MUCH.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree the inflation around town has been incredible. You don't see 5 or 10 percent rises. You see 25 percent or more rises. There is some very strange psychology in the air because I do not believe the business costs have gone up THAT MUCH.

I agree with that.A ready made item I buy almost daily at villa market today from one day to the other +40%.Where is the reality check here.Same at carrefour.The ready made lasagne the other day had a sticker that they lowered the price on it.Indeed they lowered the price with 25 percent and at the same time the size with 50 percent. :o

I think it is really exceptional. I have never seen inflation like this in my life. It might be interesting for people to state specific examples. The BBQ chicken stand at the Jomtien main police box went up two times in the last few months, from 80 baht to 100 baht to 120 baht. A laundry I was using, shirts up from 10 to 15 baht overnight. 50 percent rises! Common. What is going on? Yes, I know oil and food prices but I think these rises are getting into the gouging territory, they can just say, well everyone is doing it.

Yes, I know oil and food prices but I think these rises are getting into the gouging territory, they can just say, well everyone is doing it.

It does make some business sense to increase prices at the same time everyone else is doing it and there is still a reasonable excuse. The goal of any business is really only to make money. Increased prices also allow certain smart operators to offer substantial discounts down the line when inflation eases up.

i needed some new sheets for a bed i recently bought with my great credit card; for a single twin bed. i wanted better (greater) than 220 thread count. i wanted a fitted sheet, a top sheet (or duvet cover), and a standard pillow case. at homepro, homeworks and the outlet mall, they were quoting me 5,500 to 7,500 baht, including their current 35% discounts, approximate).

i found these prices insane. so i was in Bangkok and went to the real department stores there where they have real "amazing thailand" sales, unlike Pattaya. i got the identical, i repeat identical 286 thread count "exotica" brand sheets at the chitlom Central department store sales "event", for under 1,200 baht. there are never any real sales in pattaya. bangkok had all sorts of real sales in every department store.

I think it is really exceptional. I have never seen inflation like this in my life.

true! e.g. bread-and-butter fertilizer for the garden in 2006 = 600, 2007 = 900 and last week 1,800 Baht.

Strangely there was only one other car waiting for a treatment...a 3,5 l Camry.Fear they will sink soon

By the way Panpan seems to copy them.Water bottle 100 b;pizza 390b.And quality not at the top.

It is not that I can't afford this but I don't like to pay too mutt when have a better quality and better price in many other places

So bye bye Panpan

Come to the East side !!

Car wash: 125 b (Nern Plub Waan) (in-, outside + enchine)

Pizza: 170 b (Dao Cafe)

and so on ...

I think it is really exceptional. I have never seen inflation like this in my life.

true! e.g. bread-and-butter fertilizer for the garden in 2006 = 600, 2007 = 900 and last week 1,800 Baht.

Is that similar to bread and butter pudding because thats very expensive lol.

As for car-washes, there are hundreds around town so just find one you like...prices generally run from B 120-B 160 for inside/outside.

As to you quotes for Pan-Pan, they seem out of line to me. I eat there often and a bottle of water (domestic) has NEVER been B 100. Did you order some girlie imported water?

Again, as to pizzas, they generally run B 200-B 250. I guess you ordered it with truffles on top :o

Agree with on poster...Dao has great pizzas for B 190 and life of the Farside is great!

It also depends on us, the consumers, if we are willing to pay the inflated prices then they will continue to stay and continue to rise!

It's a matter of economics, the best way to curb this is to wisely choose what you spend your money on and this will flush out the over inflated retailers that are trying to take advantage of the situation.

By the way, I did question my laundry about their overnight FIFTY PERCENT price raise. She said her water costs went up and then she told me old price and the new price for her water. The raise was 10 percent! So I explained to her it is acceptable to pass her costs along and of course she deserves a profit, but a raise of 50 percent to pass on cost increases of 10 percent is not good. She understood. There is also a pattern I noticed, why 10 to 15 baht, why not 10 to 11, or 10 to 12 baht? At grocery chains you do see incremental increases, but at these smaller places, they go whole hog. BTW, I refused to pay the 50 percent increase.

Edited by Jingthing

It also depends on us, the consumers, if we are willing to pay the inflated prices then they will continue to stay and continue to rise!

It's a matter of economics, the best way to curb this is to wisely choose what you spend your money on and this will flush out the over inflated retailers that are trying to take advantage of the situation.

so true. and i think it was "weeho" that wrote something that those who dont stand up for overcharges or who just blindly pay inflated prices are slapping everyone in the face. its all supply und demand so if people demand fair prices and don't give in, prices will stay fair and accessible.

whether its for weeho's ruined 16 baht bowl of rice or caving in to pressure to buy overpriced sheets or fertilizer that has increased in price too quickly, don't cave in. shop around and let the store owners you are shopping elsewhere.

but everything is going up. the price of "Down" detergent has gone up. 7-11 is now eight and twelve.

the theory is good but in reality results are difficult to achieve. there is no way to "choose wisely" when you need bread, butter, cheese, cooking oil, meat, sausage and the like. if you insist on the same quality you have to pay the price asked (assuming the product is not available cheaper from other shops/suppliers).

Since everyone else has to pay higher oil and food prices, they have decided to increase their products so they can afford thier higher oil and food prices. Doesn't that make sense?

Barry

So as I read it from your post,they increase food prices because the food prices increased.So they will have to increase again because they did previously.

From the other side,don't blame oil prices on all inflation.Increasing oil prices are a factor but if you believe the neccesarity of these price rise then it seems that everyting is made out of pure crude oil.40 and 50 percent overnight is is just a scam,especially because it isn't the first price rise.

Look for example at the prices for chicken products.They have risen almost 90 precent over the past 6 months.I didn't know they were feeded pure crude oil.

The Tuesday and Friday Market Car Park Soi Bouakow, a very very bad car park full of holes and muddy water especialy when its been raining, has been 20 baht for the last couple of years, last week it had gone up to 30 baht, I would not mind so much if the land was ok, but my car is filthy when i come out, so I am going to look to park elseware from now.

Edited by pattaya_girl

The Tuesday and Firiay Market Car Park Soi Bouakow, a very very bad car park full of holes and muddy water especialy when its been raining, has been 20 baht for the last couple of years, last week it had gone up to 30 baht, I would not mind so much if the land was ok, but my car is filthy when i come out, so I am going to look to park elseware from now.

Typical. Up 50 percent overnight. There is definitely a serious inflation bug in the air and it is not good for anyone, local Thais or farangs. This may be the start of something that could really get out of hand ...

Edited by Jingthing

FWIW. We use a popular Thai restaurant outside of Pattaya very very few farangs go there, they announced that prices would be going up 25% across the board a few weeks ago, the price rise is now in place, we have noticed a drop in customers but whether it was a marketing ploy or just reaction to protests (?) the prices have increased only 15%.

A 50% rise sounds like the Pattaya trick of making up for lost custom by making the remaining few pay more.

the theory is good but in reality results are difficult to achieve. there is no way to "choose wisely" when you need bread, butter, cheese, cooking oil, meat, sausage and the like. if you insist on the same quality you have to pay the price asked (assuming the product is not available cheaper from other shops/suppliers).

Many products are available at different prices depending on the shop or supermarket, so knowing where to buy what product at what shop will save you a lot of money over time.

Thats what i mean when i say choose wisely and as for the blatent retailers who are overpricing as an excuse to generate extortinate profits, they should be simply avoided from receiving your custom.

i'm also troubled by strange pricing, like why is an ice cream cone at Swansen's 35 baht but it's 55 baht for a smaller one at BaskinRobins? how much different can it be?

and why are some Subway sandwiches more expensive in thailand than in the U.S.A.?

and why is bottled water 7 baht at Villa market, and it's 28 baht at their counter restaurant, and a can of coke is 12 baht in the market but also 28 baht at the counter restaurant?

and with my discount card for Accor hotels Asia, why do they give discounts in the restaurants of 25% if one is eating, 50% if two are eating, 33% if 3 are eating, and 25% if four are eating? shouldnt it be more like 25% off for one person, 30% off for two, 35% off for 3 and maybe 40% off for four?

and why is it usually more expensive per can/bottle to buy a six pack of something, than single cans/bottles?

in other words why do the thais punish people that want to spend more money in their store/restaurants?

Everyone should boycott Pattaya for two years. That town could use a good flushing out.

I promised myself not to pick on Pattaya, but the flushing out thing was too much to resist.

By the way, I did question my laundry about their overnight FIFTY PERCENT price raise.

The people who cut my hair had their rent raised 50% and they did the same for all their services. Their problem is that if you walk down a small soi where rents are cheap, you can pay 50 baht instead of 120.

So bye bye Panpan

Pattaya is a Rip-off, now days.

Bar owners, Estate Agents, Restruant owners, Property developers,

please don't reply.

Pattaya is no different from tourist resorts anywhere in the world. They will charge what they can get away with - they have a captive audience.

Cross over the Sukhumvit to the "Dark-side", where the locals live and you will find food and services at normal prices.