New Water Bill

NotNew2You

Just received my new water bill (direct bill) and it lists my usual miminal amount of charges of B 85.60 for the month but the final 2 figures are ZEROS. My bill often is this low and I believe this is the minimum charge for having water service. Anyway, the final total is zero. I asked the cashier at "7" if I had to pay anything on this bill and she said it was "free."

Anyone else every received on of these "zero" bills and what gives?

PS: I have since posting the above spoken to another Thai person and they explained what it was about. Apparently, recessions can be good things as I am apparently being economically stimulated by 2 countries :o . Apparently, my "free" water is part of the measures enacted by the government to help Thais cope with the rising cost of living (inflation) of late. Like the free bus and train rides and stuff. Anyway, people with water bills under a certain amount (they were not sure but thought it was around B 300-400) will have to pay nothing for the next 6 months! So me, a "rich" farang benefits from a Thai govt. economic stimulus measure...who says the Thais are out to always screw us farangs over :D

So, my free water for 6 months, combined with my recent $600 stimulus check from Uncle George, I'm kinda getting to like these recessions :D

Edited by NotNew2You

You are entitled to the government free water as a help for the poor.

If you feel you do not deserve this make a donation to a local charity of your choice to salve your conscience. I recomend Mercy Mission, but there are many worthy causes in the area, some will give you good reason why they should get your money if you ask.

Isn't the same happening with Electric?

I heard it was also the same for electric bills under a certain amount.

This is good :o

However, It is bad for the country in a way, people will not try to save water/electricity as much, knowing that its free.

Isn't the same happening with Electric?

I heard it was also the same for electric bills under a certain amount.

This is good :o

However, It is bad for the country in a way, people will not try to save water/electricity as much, knowing that its free.

From what I can remember you the bill free if it less than a certain amount, for electricity it is 150 units. I use that in a couple of days so don't get any concession. There is a similar point of the water, sorry cannot remember the point of no discount.

Just received my new water bill (direct bill) and it lists my usual miminal amount of charges of B 85.60 for the month but the final 2 figures are ZEROS. My bill often is this low and I believe this is the minimum charge for having water service. Anyway, the final total is zero. I asked the cashier at "7" if I had to pay anything on this bill and she said it was "free."

Anyone else every received on of these "zero" bills and what gives?

PS: I have since posting the above spoken to another Thai person and they explained what it was about. Apparently, recessions can be good things as I am apparently being economically stimulated by 2 countries :o . Apparently, my "free" water is part of the measures enacted by the government to help Thais cope with the rising cost of living (inflation) of late. Like the free bus and train rides and stuff. Anyway, people with water bills under a certain amount (they were not sure but thought it was around B 300-400) will have to pay nothing for the next 6 months! So me, a "rich" farang benefits from a Thai govt. economic stimulus measure...who says the Thais are out to always screw us farangs over :D

So, my free water for 6 months, combined with my recent $600 stimulus check from Uncle George, I'm kinda getting to like these recessions :D

I just got exactly the same water bill today. Again, as asked before does anyone know for certain the details? I have had lower water bills many times before it had a total and paid those, so the reason is not the low useage.

I just got my water bill for this month - 264 baht as usual. This is the lowest it ever is for me, even during periods where we don't use water at all (i.e. being away). Other friends in Pattaya report their usual bill is around 80 baht. Why the difference, anyone?

I just got my water bill for this month - 264 baht as usual. This is the lowest it ever is for me, even during periods where we don't use water at all (i.e. being away). Other friends in Pattaya report their usual bill is around 80 baht

That's strange...for both my houses, my minimum bills are B 85. Even if I am away, it never goes below that. I think that is the basic water charge to have a connection and it also comes with a certain amount of water with it. Don't see why your bill should be different...except maybe a leak somewhere in your system.

I just got my water bill for this month - 264 baht as usual. This is the lowest it ever is for me, even during periods where we don't use water at all (i.e. being away). Other friends in Pattaya report their usual bill is around 80 baht

That's strange...for both my houses, my minimum bills are B 85. Even if I am away, it never goes below that. I think that is the basic water charge to have a connection and it also comes with a certain amount of water with it. Don't see why your bill should be different...except maybe a leak somewhere in your system.

Might be wrong but i think you/ll find 264 baht is the standing charge for houses in company names............its a different tariff. :o

Might be wrong but i think you/ll find 264 baht is the standing charge for houses in company names............its a different tariff. :o

Strange, our house is not in a company name. Maybe it was initially (when built) and was never updated. Will have to check this out. Thanks!

Strange, our house is not in a company name. Maybe it was initially (when built) and was never updated. Will have to check this out. Thanks!

Phil.....ive got 2 places in Pattaya...1 in company name which is empty and the second in the Thai g/f name which we stay in.

Raked two of the bills out..........looks like the empty company house basic charge is 200 baht then added to that is 30 baht (for issuing bill?) and 16.10 baht tax.....total 246.10 baht.........this never changes month to month........Tariff for this property is T3 based on consumption up to 5000 litres.

Second bill for the house we live in last month was 300.78 baht comprised of 251.10 then another 30 baht and 19.68 tax........this does obviously change month to month.....Tariff for this property is T1 based on consumption up to 25000 litres.

Like i say i could be wrong but there does seem to be different tariff rates, as to whether this is down to consumption or company/thai name is the question.

My Mothers house is in a Company name, however she does not get charged the 200 baht on her water bill.

My father also has 5 houses and a few condo's which are all in a company name, and he also is not charged this price. We all have water bills of around 150baht per month / per house.

I just got my water bill for this month - 264 baht as usual. This is the lowest it ever is for me, even during periods where we don't use water at all (i.e. being away). Other friends in Pattaya report their usual bill is around 80 baht. Why the difference, anyone?
They don't take showers :o:D

The water guy came by today and give us the water bills for both our houses. 395 and 478 baht, but the guy said it was paid for, paid by the government. We were just under the units for one and the other we were no where close to the maximum. I don't think I can qualify for the free electricity though as we use way too many units. But maybe in a month or two when air con is not needed as much. This month has been harder than most so this was a nice little surprise because we were sure we would be over for both.

The person who was delivering the bills did say enjoy it while it lasts, next year the price will double. He was joking but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

The cut off point for the free water is 50 unit (cubic meter= 50,000 Liters). Anything over and you have to pay the full amount.

Normally houses get this discount automatically, apartment buildings will have the owner to go and register for the free water at the water office. Room rentals have to be under 3000 Baht/month to qualify.