Boerboel Breeders In Thailand?

Since my house was broke into and robbed 3 weeks ago and the eight dogs (all outdoors) I have now slept blissfully through the event, I've been looking for a bona fide watchdog just to bark when someone jumps my wall onto our property. I'm not looking for a maneater, just a noisemaker.

A friend of mine from South Africa has one of these and says they're excellent watchdogs and excellent all around dogs.

I think it's a longshot, but does anyone know of any breeders here in Thailand?

Thanks for any help.

Haven't heard of any boerboel in Thailand.

Although not impossible, strange that all your 8 dogs slept through the event. Can it be they knew the intruder and therefore didn't bark?

Other guard dog breeds that are bred in Thailand are the Rottweiler, Fila Brasiliero, German Shepherd, Malinois. Just to name a few. Oh, the Thai breed, Ban Kaew, also can be a pretty good guard dog.

Nienke

Since my house was broke into and robbed 3 weeks ago and the eight dogs (all outdoors) I have now slept blissfully through the event, I've been looking for a bona fide watchdog just to bark when someone jumps my wall onto our property. I'm not looking for a maneater, just a noisemaker.

A friend of mine from South Africa has one of these and says they're excellent watchdogs and excellent all around dogs.

Thanks for any help.

I have a friend who brought a Mastiff in from abroad, but i can't say i've ever seen any Boerboels here in Thailand.There's many large street dogs that i'm sure would make a lot of noise and protect you if you gave them a good home :o , all of my dogs are medium size and they make such a racket when anyone comes near my home.

pictures?? i thought i knew most unusual breeds... what is this breed??

bina

israel

bina,

i have to admit i'd never heard of that breed either until recently. my friend from s. africa showed me a picture of his, they're a nice looking animal. he says if his wife jumps in the pool and fakes she's in distress, the dog jumps right in and tries to help. i've read at other sights of the dog's intuition. here's an excerpt from wikipedia about the breed. you can google the rest if you'd like.

by the way, bina, the advice you give on this forum is top notch. i don't usually post much here but thought i'd take the opportunity to say thanks.

tp

TEMPERMANT

Boerboels are a very dominant but intelligent breed, with a strong watchdog instinct. They are self-assured and fearless, but responsive to the needs of the family displaying an intuitive ability to sense if the family is in danger. Like other large dogs with a strong guard instinct, the Boerboel needs to be watched around strangers always, and introduced to friends and other dogs early on to avoid aggression, and like all dogs should never be left with young children unattended. They are a dog that thrives on love and attention and need constant companionship from their owners and cannot be left alone for long extended periods without becoming destructive, reckless and dangerous

The Boerboel, the only breed of dog solely and specifically bred to defend the homestead, it has a long history of breeding in many far flung and different regions of South Africa. After this long history of breeding, the breed’s refinement continues to date, however regional differences though slight, are considered part of the entire makeup of the breed.

While there is ample literature on the Boerboel’s descent, there is still uncertainty as to how many and which dogs it is bred from.

ORIGIN

A two-year-old male BoerboelThe most likely origins are claimed to date back to Jan van Riebeeck’s arrival to the Cape in 1652. Dutch, French and British settlers have all brought with them certain breeds of dog, these were used with indigenous breeds of domestic African dog to create the Boerboel.

It has been confirmed the Jan van Riebeeck brought a “bullenbijter” with him, and others with him had large strong dogs. Over many years, natural selection would determine that the fittest among them would survive and breed.

A likely breeding partner brought in by the British settlers would have been the long legged Bulldog.

De Beers, a diamond mining company imported Bullmastiffs to guard the mines.

In protest to British rule, the Dutch scattered in hundreds of kilometres from their original homes, in what is historically recorded as the Great Trek. During this period they continued breeding powerful, protective dogs on their journeys. The tradition of breeding with large dogs continued during the Second Boer War.

Studying further literature, more dogs have been suggested to be included in the breed and much more recently, but none of these are substantiated, however the Rhodesian Ridgeback and its decendants is known to have played a significant part, though no sign of a ridge is any longer present.

Today, Boerboel breeding is both a hobby and industry in South Africa. Only a few of the best studs are kept to breed with females. These dogs are now exported from South Africa to other parts of the world.

APPEARANCE

The Boerboel should be well balanced, substantial and strong in appearance, with a primitive robustness and an overall solid tight musculature. Though a heavily built mastiff breed, it is not loose limbed or jointed and has a strong topline leading to a powerful and massive neck, it should move with purpose and control with ample agility. The head is one of the defining characteristic of the breed and should be large but in proportion to the body, with a strong and not too short muzzle and jaws, broad between the ears. The tail is normally docked short but this is not a requirement of the breed. Males are very masculine and imposing, with females being somewhat more feminine but by no means lacking in substance. The dog should give the overall impression of immense substance, strength, power, and physical ability, and should be able to more than amply demonstrate this in his day to day work

Although not impossible, strange that all your 8 dogs slept through the event. Can it be they knew the intruder and therefore didn't bark?

Other guard dog breeds that are bred in Thailand are the Rottweiler, Fila Brasiliero, German Shepherd, Malinois. Just to name a few. Oh, the Thai breed, Ban Kaew, also can be a pretty good guard dog.

Nienke

Nienke,

i don't think it was someone i knew. a german guy and a business in the market also got hit that night in our village.

funny you should mention Ban Kaew, i've got 2 of them actually but all dogs were sleeping at the front of the house and the intruder jumped my fence and broke into a kitchen window at the opposite side. stole all the wife's gold, wedding ring, jewellry, watches and pinched my wallet from our bedroom, all while we were "blissfully" sleeping as well.

the rest of my security consists of a pug, shitzhu,french bulldog, labrador, a lab/? cross pup and a toy poodle, the latter being the most vigilant one of the bunch.

help is on the way, tho. my wife says she's got a line on a free rottweiler so we'll see if that improves. with that and the 2500$ alarm system we should be okay.

thanks for the reply, and thanks for the list of dogs. i was going to post a question about other watchdog breeds bred in thailand, you've saved me some work.

all the best,

tp

Thanks for any help.

Have you checked to see if your dogs have canker or something? :o

looks like a bull mastiff....

actually we have some rhodesian ridgebacks on the kibbutz, belonging to a few families, they run free here as most dogs do but they are problematic as they are very territorial and harrass people especially at night, which is a good trait for a guard dog but not so good when most of the foot traffic is kids and local folk... they are scary, a deep loud bark and move fast... they also seem to be one family dogs, and trainable...

i would expect a thai village dog would be a good watch dog but no dog unless trained as a guard/perimeter dog can withstand drugged meat, or a bitch in heat as a decoy used by good thieves wierd that they all slept thru the breakin, never underestimate the guarding powers of small dogs, so maybe they were fed meat with tranqs in them???

thanx turnpike...

the breed mentioned by the OP sounds like a handful to deal with if not properly worked with... i think training is maybe 70 % of the success for a guard/watch dog... not to eat food fed by strangers, not to respond to a bitch in heat(it can be done to a point), etc.

Nienke

Nienke,

i don't think it was someone i knew. a german guy and a business in the market also got hit that night in our village.

funny you should mention Ban Kaew, i've got 2 of them actually but all dogs were sleeping at the front of the house and the intruder jumped my fence and broke into a kitchen window at the opposite side. stole all the wife's gold, wedding ring, jewellry, watches and pinched my wallet from our bedroom, all while we were "blissfully" sleeping as well.

the rest of my security consists of a pug, shitzhu,french bulldog, labrador, a lab/? cross pup and a toy poodle, the latter being the most vigilant one of the bunch.

help is on the way, tho. my wife says she's got a line on a free rottweiler so we'll see if that improves. with that and the 2500$ alarm system we should be okay.

thanks for the reply, and thanks for the list of dogs. i was going to post a question about other watchdog breeds bred in thailand, you've saved me some work.

all the best,

tp

HI

With 8 dogs to cope with I take my hat off to you, I keep 3 Gsds and thats a full time job!LOL

I keep mine in the house and the noise they make would awaken amyone.

Its an obvious solution but why not keep a few of the dogs that you already have in the house at night?

All dogs are usually territorial and one will start the others barking for sure.

I know closing the door after the horse has bolted isnt much good but bringing some of the dogs inside at night might give you peace of mind and a good nights sleep.

If you are serious about another dog oyu need to consider how it will respond to the other dogs, a Malinois is a great defensive dog but it needs a great deal of training and control is vital.

Roy Gsd

Boerboels are good dogs.  They are in the same family as Rhodesian ridgebacks, mastiffs and that is, it's a molosser.  Same with my first of a kind in Thailand( that I know of), Cane corso. Molossers generally make for good watch dogs.  I also have a dogo argentino (65 kg molosser) and he definitely has the bark to scare people, but the cane corso doesn't make a sound, will just produce results, or so I am told.

BTW my neighbor has a Bangkaew and that thing barks at everything.  Not necessarily a good protection dog, but definitely a good alarm dog.

ive met a lot of cano corso's and they werent very pleasant with us (strangers)... all russian imports or parents but htey have become popular of late as have other security/guard types. checkzlovakin shepherds, asian shepherds 'kgb' dogs(kafkaz dogs) are all very popular here as security/guard dogs, more so then the s. african typs although i dont know why since they are furrier and less suited to our terrain...

malinois are being used as security dogs in the 'areas' with the 'settlers' here , there is a malinois breeder up on a hill top who has provided about 200 dogs for security so far (we do the vaccines so i had asked about them)... they are very very good working dogs apparently, and they dont suffer from the desert climate and terrain like some of the heavy molosser types, so their noses remain usable for scent work as well cause they are nt panting all the time...

excuse my spelling, its late...

HI

With 8 dogs to cope with I take my hat off to you, I keep 3 Gsds and thats a full time job!LOL

Its an obvious solution but why not keep a few of the dogs that you already have in the house at night?

All dogs are usually territorial and one will start the others barking for sure.

I know closing the door after the horse has bolted isnt much good but bringing some of the dogs inside at night might give you peace of mind and a good nights sleep.

If you are serious about another dog oyu need to consider how it will respond to the other dogs, a Malinois is a great defensive dog but it needs a great deal of training and control is vital.

Roy Gsd

Roy,

i'm fortunate enough to live on 6 rai which is totally walled in (at least when people decide to close the gate behind them. :o ) so the dogs have room to run. we've got a line on fila brasileiro breeder in Phrae, about a 6 hour drive from where i live. me and the missus will take a drive up there when i'm home next time and take a look at the breed. the pups aren't due 'til the end of the year but i'm curious to see the parents and speak to the owner.

does anyone have experience with this breed? i've learned an awful lot from google but first hand knowledge is always the best.

thanks to all who've replied.

tp

Just a general question to all you dog experts............... I would love to get a dog when we move to Thailand but my experience of dogs in Thailand (mainly in Isaan....) is that once one dog begins to bark and howl at night, the whole dog population in the street/village joins in within minutes. Do you dog owners actually get any sleep or can they be trained not to howl without any reason (other than that the rest of them are howling)???? :o

Just a general question to all you dog experts............... I would love to get a dog when we move to Thailand but my experience of dogs in Thailand (mainly in Isaan....) is that once one dog begins to bark and howl at night, the whole dog population in the street/village joins in within minutes. Do you dog owners actually get any sleep or can they be trained not to howl without any reason (other than that the rest of them are howling)???? :o

German and Thai dogs have the same habits :D

Just found this web site for English Mastiffs in BKK!!

www.aurchidsiammastiffs.com/

Cheers

here we have a saying: if the dogs stop barking, there is something wrong... (i.e., poisoned or killed by robbers/terrorists..)

hre in israel more and more unsual breeds are being introduced as 'guard/protection' dogs for home and for herd guards since we have a 90 % rate of goat rustling and house break ins in the peripheral areas (not city areas). so far the asian breeds like the caucasian (kafkaz) dogs have a good track record for family and yard. the cana corsos are bulky and take the heat less well, and seem to be more attached to the people but not the yard/goats etc.

off the topic slightly:

i ahve a lhasa apso and believe me, he is a great little dog for guarding our apartment on kibbutz. he has taken the place of my two boxers. what he doesnt have in bark, he has in growl and bite, and a very very strong territorial attitude even for a male, to the house area, that doesnt show up when he isnt in the house or my garden area so he is a cute little dog everywhere else , something important for our community area. lhasa were bred as home guard dogs, compact bodies, dominant personalities and a bit aggressive, needing a strong hand. but they are guards only, they are small)... have finally found a female for my male (she was born this week, so we are waiting... but the breeder has told me that my dog's 'nastiness' with strangers is very typical of the breed and not just a 'behavior problem' specific to my foofoo. ) because of his small size, i am less nervous about friends and kids comeing in and out of the house if i am not around to put him in his bed/place. his bite will definely be less damaging than that of a cana corso for sure.:o) although obviusly we dont want people bitten, i definately want local elements to know and be nervous about him.

bina

Cheers

Great link mate many thanks. Has anybody got any links to breeders of Bullmastiffs or staffordshire bull terriers?

Try Looking in the Thai Dog magazines,they have in book shops,etc, I seen an advertisment for this breed in Thailand,it was a BKK number, sorry i dont have the book with me anymore.But too my knowledge the breed is available in Thailand

Cheers

Great link mate many thanks. Has anybody got any links to breeders of Bullmastiffs or staffordshire bull terriers?

What sort of Staffordshires,American or English? There's an American staffordshire terrier breeder in Chang Rai, or if ya wait 12 months ,you could buy a pup of me,as i just bought a male from Chang Rai to breed with my Bitch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I run a boarding kennel in Chiang Mai. In the night all dogs go in their dog houses and my dogs stay with me in the house. It happens often (at least 5 nights a week) that neighboring dogs willl start their choir in the middle of the night, many dogs join in. Sometimes I get up to hear if my guest dogs do the same. They don't.

When I moved in my new property many nights I couldn't sleep because of these barking and howling neighboring dogs. Now I'm used to it and just will sleep through it.

IME, it's a matter of educating the dog and keeping it confined in the night.

Nienke

• 3 weeks later...

I am the only Boerboel breeder in thailand all my Dog are imported in, with the very best blood lines from the best farm from south Africa, my dog are not cheap thou, all welcome to visit my Kennels i live in the center of town in Sukumvite Road,Dog are my passion not my business.

I have 10 Boerboel,5 are atb my house, ready to view.

you can call me on 085 222 1239

regards

chain

Boerboel Thailand

Thanks for any help.

I am a boerboel breederand i live in thailand

Nienke

Nienke,

all the best,

tp

HI

Roy Gsd

I'm trying to make sense of your posts: Are you trying to sell the pups as they are not your business, or what does the contradictory double speak mean below?  I sure hope you have at least 3 rai of land there.

>>my dog are not cheap thou

>>if you want pups you have to make a booking first.

>>Dog are my passion not my business.

>>I have 10 Boerboel,5 are atb my house, ready to view.

HI

Roy Gsd

Roy,

i'm fortunate enough to live on 6 rai which is totally walled in (at least when people decide to close the gate behind them. :o ) so the dogs have room to run. we've got a line on fila brasileiro breeder in Phrae, about a 6 hour drive from where i live. me and the missus will take a drive up there when i'm home next time and take a look at the breed. the pups aren't due 'til the end of the year but i'm curious to see the parents and speak to the owner.

does anyone have experience with this breed? i've learned an awful lot from google but first hand knowledge is always the best.

tp

I have a Fila Brasileiro (all 100 kilos of him!).

I don't breed/sell them but know of a couple of breeders in the north of Thailand. If you want more info on the breed, please PM me.

• 3 months later...
HI

Roy Gsd

Roy,

tp

I have a Fila Brasileiro (all 100 kilos of him!).

I don't breed/sell them but know of a couple of breeders in the north of Thailand. If you want more info on the breed, please PM me.

I wonder if anyone is ever concerned what Thailand will be like in the future with all these super sized guard dogs? Inevitably they will sometimes escape and interbreed. Then what? The soi dogs are bad enough in town at night. The lhaso apso post seemed the best answer. Are we really so scared or is crime so bad that every yard needs some sort of mega protection? What about the regular posts from bikers and walkers who are terrorised by these dogs. In my village if a dog runs at or scares a person its poisoned straight away. The local thais are really pissed of because a falang brought in a GSd and it bit a local. Now every big foreign dog is at threat. They aren't worried if the dog cost a lot because they poison their own left right and centre. If you want a guard dog to alert the house its a sad fact that yappy small ones seem best. Thais around here keep small ones around the house as pets/guards. The big soi dogs are in the yard / land and are killed off regularly if they give any trouble. I worry too about one getting loose. I think I could handle a Lhaso apso with only one visit to the doctor but a huge mutt could easily kill someone. As the poster pointed out too, if you really want to get in just poison a yard dog. So is the fad for mega ferocious breeds the same sort of thing as men who drive big, long red cars? Is it a male thing? To do with compensating?

• 7 months later...

Thanks for any help.

Hi! well I think I have never seen any South African Boerboel in Thailand but I know what does it look like and I have done some research about that breed. It's very interesting breed for guarding your house and family. My point of view is that you should have your 8 dogs in your house NOT OUTSIDE! because when someone break into your house, they meant to come inside..so it's better to have your dogs inside with you too and how could you hear your dogs bark since you left your dogs outside? How could you know what will happen to your dogs if you leave them outside? That's quite dangerous sometimes. I always have my dogs in my house and never have any robber dare to break into even I just have 2 dogs, Yorkshire Terrier and a stray dog which is not big but look like a fox or small dingo. She is fierce and a loud barker so I am pretty sure she will protect my house well. You don't need to buy Boerboel since I have never found one in Thailand, You just find some Thai dogs or adopt some stray puppies , They love barking and you just don't take them outside too much, they could be great for guarding :) there are many free stray dogs for you to adopt...No need to pay that much for a boerboel.