Repairing A Motorbike

robster125

Hey everyone!

I am thinking that I need a new chain for my motorbike, which makes a clicking noise if I am not accelerating in any gear. It sounds as if it is coming right near the gears and such, so I am thinking it is loose, and needs to be tightened or replaced.

Does anyone know how much something like this would even cost? (if this is the problem, at all) and where is a reliable place I could go, that will do good service and not try to rip me off being farang?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

(If it sounds like a problem not involving the chain, and you have ideas, let me know... I'm no expert on bikes!)

Rob

Rob,

You'd be welcome to bring it by our shop - Tony's Big Bikes, 17 Ratchmanka Rd. We're a farang owned rental shop and provide some servicing/repairs as well. If your chain is knackered, we'll tell you but if it just needs adjusting, we'll be happy to do that for you. Alternatively, just run it by you local Thai shop, point to the chain and ask them to tighten it. It should have about 25 - 30mm free play if adjusted correctly but like Bill97 said, it would help to know the make/model of bike.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi! Thanks for the help!

It's a Honda 100cc (though it could be 80cc... it's quite weak and frail) C100KS-02761... dont know if that helps at all. it's an older bike, got it second hand months back, and this ticking noise is starting to get annoying, and figured I should fix it... before the whole things breaks down.

Thanks again for your help! I have no idea what it would cost to tighten and/or replace the chain... if that's even what is making the clicking!

Thanks again!

Sounds like it's slack and bouncing against the chain guard. Any Honda place will be able to tighten and/or replace chain & sprockets on a plastic pig for around 350. If the chain and/or sprockets are indeed knacked, don't be cheap and just change one item, change the lot - old sprockets and new chains (vice versa) does not a good mix make :o

Hi Robster,

25/30 mm free play is for sure a good instruction but watch out. This is the free play that the chain must have under normal driving conditions. Thai mechanics almost always adjust it without sitting on the motorbike.

Because the most farangs put more weight in the scale that the average Thai many farangs drive with chains as violin strings.

So if you adjust it sit on your motorbike and then let a other adjust the free play as described.

With regards :o

Sounds like it's slack and bouncing against the chain guard. Any Honda place will be able to tighten and/or replace chain & sprockets on a plastic pig for around 350. If the chain and/or sprockets are indeed knacked, don't be cheap and just change one item, change the lot - old sprockets and new chains (vice versa) does not a good mix make :o

Yep, many people try to just replace the chain, even though the sprockets may look like circular-saw blades...then wonder why their new chain is junk after a few thousand kilometers.