Beijing Opening Ceremony

ozsamurai

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far with just over 45 mins into the opening ceremony I find myself back in the PC.... is it me or is this as boring as watching clay dry. The mass mexican wave has had its day folks, it better improve...

Oz

just wait till they serve the cardboard dumplings..... :o

I think they missed the point entirely. Its an INTERNATIONAL event hosted in China, not a Chinese Olympics..... no multi-cultural content at all apart from the last few minutes with the umbrellas of kids faces..... It looked more like a propaganda show, starting with we invented paper to we are now walking on Mars, us us us!!

Hmmmm..

Well its all over now, and the retrospective... some hot lookers on the track, but the ceremony was a bit dull, even the flame lighting has been done before to death... I was really looking forward to China putting its best foot forward... maybe next time...closing ceremony??

I think they missed the point entirely. Its an INTERNATIONAL event hosted in China, not a Chinese Olympics..... no multi-cultural content at all apart from the last few minutes with the umbrellas of kids faces..... It looked more like a propaganda show, starting with we invented paper to we are now walking on Mars, us us us!!

Hmmmm..

A slightly one eyed opinion.Isn't this how opening cermonys always are ? A celebration of the host nation's heritage followed by the formal presentation of the international athletes. Do you remember the opening ceremony at Sydney.Well I don't that well, but wikipedia has a rather nice review :

"The opening ceremony began with a tribute to the Australian pastoral heritage of the muster (or "roundup", in which the stockmen gather together the livestock from the vast areas of an Australian outback sheep or cattle station), symbolising the drawing together of people from across the world. This was introduced by a lone rider, Steve Jefferys, and his rearing Australian Stock Horse Ammo. At the cracking of Jefferys' stockwhip, a further 120 riders entered the Stadium, their stock horses performing intricate steps, including forming the five Olympic Rings, to a special Olympics version of the theme which Bruce Rowland had previously composed for the 1982 film The Man from Snowy River.

The Australian National Anthem was sung, the first verse by Human Nature and the second by Julie Anthony.

The ceremony continued, showing many aspects of the land and its people:- the affinity of the mainly coastal-dwelling Australians with the sea that surrounds the "Island Continent", the indigenous occupation of the land, the coming of the First Fleet, the continued immigration from many nations and the rural industry on which the economy of the nation was built, including a display representing the harshness of rural life based on the paintings of Sir Sidney Nolan. Two memorable scenes were the representation of the "Heart" of the country by 200 Aboriginal women from Central Australia who danced up "the mighty spirit of God to protect the Games" and the overwhelmingly noisy representation of the construction industry by hundreds of tap-dancing teenagers."

Bloody aussies...us us us !

Edited by kiakaha

Kia are you stalking my every post??

I couldn't give a toss about the Sydney Olympics, or what they did in Germany or Athens or anywhere else. I was expecting more from the self proclaimed 'Ultimate Olympics' is all, with a theme of ONE WORLD ONE DREAM there was not much of the rest of the world. Unless you can point out specifics symbolistic parts I missed...

Whoi!!

Oz

This 'happened' to be on in the pub here in Bangalore (I wanted the cricket but was out-voted).

Play the 'where on earth is that country' game, there were a number nobody had heard of.

Am I the only one to find the goose-stepping military carrying the olympic flag more than mildly remeniscent of 1936 (Berlin) and somewhat disturbing??

I’m in the US westcoast and l I’m watching right now on NBC -

Sadly to say….. Well, nothing is happening much yet except …..commercials and blah blah from the NBC commentator talking to Kobe....

Opps again more commecials.... :o

I couldn't give a toss about the Sydney Olympics, or what they did in Germany or Athens or anywhere else. I was expecting more from the self proclaimed 'Ultimate Olympics' is all, with a theme of ONE WORLD ONE DREAM there was not much of the rest of the world. Unless you can point out specifics symbolistic parts I missed...

Whoi!!

Oz

I have to disagree with you. The opening ceremonies in Beijing were visually stunning and while I think it went on a little too long, it was all that I would expect for a superb start to the Olympics. You appear to be predisposed to dislike whatever the Chinese are going to do. That is up to you...but you lose credibility when you say you don't care what was done in the past, but do care of about this year's Olympics. Oh well....

And Teacup I agree with you. Here in the Philippines we had four minutes of commercials during every 10-minute block. It was maddening. If they had put on a four-minute commercial block in the USA, the remote controls would have been clicking like crazy.

Edited by farang prince

I'm sure the Opening Ceremony was a very dramatic event if you were to experience the sights and sounds in the Bird's Nest stadium. Even on television it had its moments. 4 hours and 10 minutes was just too long. In the late 1990's I used to go to some of the state sponsored extravaganzas in China. They were stoic, boring, with a true lack of imagination. This show was 1,000 times better. Good for Chinese national pride and the Olympic Games.

I may have got a little over the top with the comment on the other Olympics, but to prove a point I thought that I was not judging the Chinese performance comparitively to others, 'they sucked compared to ......'. I have not a racist bone in my body I am proud to say. I was commenting on the event/show, not the politics. Each to their own, I thought it was boring is all.

Am I the only one to find the goose-stepping military carrying the olympic flag more than mildly remeniscent of 1936 (Berlin) and somewhat disturbing??

Yes, I thought the same but it was an opportunity to teach my Thai partner the expression "goose-stepping" and have some discussion about Nazi Germany.

For an "educated" thai he knows very little about the outside world, not knowing the location of at least 70 % of the countries represented in Beijing.

And while all you people are engrosed in the Olympics, you wont realise a war has just started on the same did, by coincidence of course. Russia and Georgia, Georgia who are backed by the US and have just killed 15 peace Russians which has now esculated into an attack by Russia, and has the possibility of spreading globaly baring in mind the tension with Isreal. Of course the US and Isreal have no interest in Russia, they just want to protect the gas and oil pipe lines that run through it.

Sorry I just couldn't help myself. If I wake one person up before this is deleted, then i've done my duty.

Edited by CCCP

Most beautiful thing I've ever seen on television! Go China!

[/quo

I agree the first hour was great. Athlete entrance seemed like it would never end. From Torch entrance to the lighting the large flame was very nice.

Overall I would rate it a 8.5 out of a possible 10

It far out shined any other Olympic opening i have ever seen.

Fireworks were Great also.

I believe China has set the goal high and it will be very hard to beat.

I hope nothing but the best for the success of this Olympics.

:o

i believe that the 2012 borefest in london will be opened by a 2 minute maypole and morris dancing extravaganza followed by a 3 hour homage to every culture under the sun except the brits.

Yeah I can't wait to see that pile of shit - more UK taxpayers money getting wasted by the Government and its hangers on!

i believe that the 2012 borefest in london will be opened by a 2 minute maypole and morris dancing extravaganza followed by a 3 hour homage to every culture under the sun except the brits.

British culture...

3 hours of drinking tea? :o

Yeah I can't wait to see that pile of shit - more UK taxpayers money getting wasted by the Government and its hangers on!

Who exactly pays these taxes. Every Brit I know tell me it is "job one" to avoid paying anything. Perhaps if the financial situation improves in the US, England will be able to borrow the money. Even in this day and age it is hard to throw USD40 billion together to put on the next version of the Olympic Games.

Fireworks were Great also.

I agree as well that the opening ceremonies were very well done. Yes, it may have been a little boring but what was expected seeing the athletics from over 200+ countries entering the stadium?

As for the fireworks, they looked fantastic on television. I wish I was there in person to witness it first hand as it was probably the best display of fireworks on earth so far. I say these because wasn't it the Chinese who invented the fireworks?

Are you kidding me, the opening ceremony was spectacular.

Quite amazing what they pulled off, it was China's time to shine - deal with it.

Yes,I have to agree.Probably the most spectacular ever,and will NOT be repeated anywhere in the future.Probably a bit slow and long winded but as a 'marker'for the rest of the world as to modernday China,I am sure they have made their point.

I dread to think how the UK could possibly come anywhere near a spectacle like this one...think it would be best just to get Elton John(if he is still alive in 4 years time) to say hello and then get on with the games.

Quite amazing what they pulled off, it was China's time to shine - deal with it.

Yes,I have to agree.Probably the most spectacular ever,and will NOT be repeated anywhere in the future.Probably a bit slow and long winded but as a 'marker'for the rest of the world as to modernday China,I am sure they have made their point.

I dread to think how the UK could possibly come anywhere near a spectacle like this one...think it would be best just to get Elton John(if he is still alive in 4 years time) to say hello and then get on with the games.

Why didn't I think about his before? 2012 Opening Ceremony featuring the Rolling Stones and Sir Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger". I'm sure that is the only way the UK could possibly top China 2008. Well, maybe the Beatles reuniting.

So far with just over 45 mins into the opening ceremony I find myself back in the PC.... is it me or is this as boring as watching clay dry. The mass mexican wave has had its day folks, it better improve...

Oz

It was on the screen when we were eating in the local Mall..didn't watch...with their record they should never have been given the games anyway!!!!!!!!!!...I reckon that many would like to boycott but have spent years preparing so they will go and do their stuff...enough said.

Why didn't I think about his before? 2012 Opening Ceremony featuring the Rolling Stones and Sir Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger". I'm sure that is the only way the UK could possibly top China 2008. Well, maybe the Beatles reuniting.

It comes to something,that when we look at the long,varied and mainly succesful history of Great Britain that when it comes to celebrating our heritage at the 2012 games we are proposing aged pop stars.!!...and in anycase why do you not include 'Sir Cliff'?....even the yanks didnt dig up Elvis at the US games. and no concorde for a fly past either.

Edited by gennisis

Whoi!!

Oz

no, just refuting the post with historical facts.

i believe there was a lot of symbolism, and I will point out what i can recall :

• the world globe at the end with the 2 singers singing "You and me, from one world; heart to heart, we are one family"
  • the 29 dragon steps as fireworks in the sky
  • the opening drummers Confucian motto theme "How happy we are, to meet friends from afar"

and no i'm not stalking you, dont know who you are, dont care, i am interested in the contents of the posts, period. if i disagree, i will always rebut sensibly.

Which really just highlights westerners' distain for things Asian (except if that Asian is wearing a short skirt). You could at least try to understand what is happening.

Hmmmm..