Beware Of Pick Pocketers

carrara1975

I was in Tesco Lotus, On Nut, Sukhumvit Soi 50 earlier today. Did my shopping, got a taxi home and noticed my wallet wasn’t in my pocket. I thought I may have left it on the counter in Tesco so went back to check. Nobody had handed it in so I asked them to check CCTV which they did.

I went to cancel my cards etc and when I came back they had CCTV footage of me being pick pocketed. There we’re 4 Thai men involved, all working together. Obviously I was being watched at the til were 1 man followed me, then as I walked out towards the escalator 2 other men (who we’re pretending to look at books) simultaneously followed me. Then when I was going down the escalator (not stairs, like a falt moving floor for the trollies) another man (who was with them) in front dropped something near the bottom, bent over to pick it up and I nearly fell over him, and everyone behind me banged into me as we were still on the escalator (the domino effect) and thats were they got me.

Also my landlady tells me shes heard this has happened a few times recently, and someone had 100,000 baht on one occasion apparently. First time this has happened to me, so just wanted to tell people to beware. It was mad seeing it on video, it was a well planned operation and how easy it was.

Dunno if its happened to many other people before ?

I read about this happening on one of the transit systems on an escalator here on TV only a couple of weeks ago. I believe there were about four men involved at that time as well if I remember correctly. One of them stopped at the top of the escalator causing the same cascade effect.

Out of interest can you tell me which pocket your wallet was located in and what type of trousers you were wearing.

Personally I wear jeans and my wallet is usually quite thick with all sorts of Credit/Debit, MRT, BTS, building access and business cards and a wedge of money, it can fill my front jeans pocket so there is no way anyone could get it out without me feeling it being moved. I almost need to stretch the pocket opening or stand up to get it out sometimes. If i'm wearing smarter trousers then it's a different story, the pockets on these are much larger and much easier to access.

If this ever happens to me I know what to do - hands straight in pockets and step over them.

I guess it would be a complete waste of time calling the police.

Edited by ukrules

I read about this happening on one of the transit systems on an escalator here on TV only a couple of weeks ago. I believe there were about four men involved at that time as well if I remember correctly. One of them stopped at the top of the escalator causing the same cascade effect.

Out of interest can you tell me which pocket your wallet was located in and what type of trousers you were wearing.

Personally I wear jeans and my wallet is usually quite thick with all sorts of Credit/Debit, MRT, BTS, building access and business cards and a wedge of money, it can fill my front jeans pocket so there is no way anyone could get it out without me feeling it being moved. I almost need to stretch the pocket opening or stand up to get it out sometimes. If i'm wearing smarter trousers then it's a different story, the pockets on these are much larger and much easier to access.

If this ever happens to me I know what to do - hands straight in pockets and step over them.

I guess it would be a complete waste of time calling the police.

I was wearing combat shorts. Luckily I only had 2000 baht in and a few cards. The things my hands were full with bags and it was a big squash so its hard to notice anything being taken. ill do if it happens again though. Reported it to the police,the security from Tesco come with me too. Cant seeing much happening though as the blokes all covered there faces with the arms in front of the camera.cctv

Not in Thailand, but yes, a fellow in front abruptly blocking my way -- falling down as if he were sick -- while his confederate picks my pocket from behind. It happens! And no matter how quickly you realize what's happening, your wallet is gone and passed through a half-dozen hands.

Horrible to lose the money, but on the other hand hard not to be impressed by people so skilled at their work.

Edited by taxout

I think that's pretty common. Need to be cautious whenever someone blocks your path, esp around escalators.

Yes...it seems rude, and perhaps it is, but the best thing is just to bulldoze on through. After all, if it is a legit problem, it is not going to be helped by more people stacking up at the bottom or top of the escalator...those bodies have to go somewhere.

Thanks for the info. I posted a pickpocket working the Chao Phraya Express River Taxi last year on this forum. Some others have posted similar escalator scams.

Be very aware of your valuables at all times. I keep my wallet in my front pocket. Much harder to remove than the back.

When in Bangkok, the wallet I use has a strap that is looped around my belt, and the wallet goes in the front pocket of my trousers/shorts. So if a pickpocket tries to remove the wallet, somehow he/she would have to cut the strap at the same time. Of course having a knife being used on your body could be very unpleasant but perhaps the pickpocket thieves would notice this strap and decide to pick on someone else. I also tend to stay away from crowds when getting onto escalators at shopping malls and BTS stations, etc., or stand sideways if having to stand in a queue with lots of people and/or stick my hand into the pocket containing the wallet.

I also wonder if non-Thai Asians are targetted as much as other farangs -- Westerners, Africans, Arabs, etc. I get the impression that pickpocket gangs tend to stay away from locals (also true in cities like Hong Kong) and target obvious non-locals.

It's really a shame that crimes like this exist. If it happens to you, it just totally ruins your day. It's happened to me in Shenzhen China and that's why I'm now so paranoid about it happening to me again.

I've got a pair of North Face shorts with zipped pockets.

Security (mainly me losing my wallet etc after a few beers :o) was one of the reasons I bought them.

Sorry to hear about your loss and thanks for the heads-up!

RAZZ

There's a place at Chatuchak market where they sell used magazines and on several occasions when I've been browsing - there's suddenly appeared behind me and to the side of me - one or more Thai men apparently going about their business - whatever - ALWAYS keep my wallet in my shirt pocket when there -

The steps leading up to the pedestrian bridge that you take to enter MBK from the Siam Square side is another popular hang-out for BKKs pick-pockets!

When I am out just for a bit of shopping I just carry a small amount of cash. If I am out for real I have a Microfiber Security Waist Pack that I use. It has hook closures on the zippers, steel cable through the belt to prevent being cut, and an inside compartment for your cash. I use that on border runs, trips to any outdoor market, and on public transport.

I had this stunt pulled on me at Khlong Thom, a group of 3-4, one young girl and a Katoey doing the jamming role and a fat roly poly looking one trying to get the wallet. They tapped me once, but I was onto the game and the next time they tried the domino shuffle, I just put my shoulder in and ploughed straight through them, sending the Katoey flying, you should have seen the look on the fat ones face!! She immediately took her two friends and hi-tailed out of there. Hehehehehe....