Tot Super Slowdown

wrestler7902002

Is anyone else experiencing the ultimate slowdown from TOT? Was fine two days ago in Pattaya area, but since then it takes 4 minutes just to log onto Thaivisa.com. So slow downloading from anywhere in the world, including Thailand.

When I run Speedtest.net from Bangkok servers, it takes 3 minutes just to enter the Speedtest.net website. Ping from Bangkok is 999ms and after 3 minutes the download speed was 379 kps and upload about 20kps.

I am paying for Tot goldcyber 2MB dowload and 512K upload service. Hmmmmmm. :o

TOT has a problem with a shortage of international bandwidth. I've been always been very positive about TOT, but now my opinion has changed.

Let's see a couple of weeks .... other options now in Bangkok: Maxnet 590 baht for 2M / CAT 4M 1,090 baht.

post-6768-1218858754_thumb.jpg post-6768-1218858765_thumb.jpg

First, June 6 PM / Second Today 10:55am

Edited by sniffdog

TOT has a problem with a shortage of international bandwidth. I've been always been very positive about TOT, but now my opinion has changed.

Let's see a couple of weeks .... other options now in Bangkok: Maxnet 590 baht for 2M / CAT 4M 1,090 baht.

I am not sure if this issue is actually caused only by TOT current low bandwidth. I am usinig TOT and got the some figures as can be seen in the second jpg. file:

Using other web sites for download (YouTUBE) I can download in a fraction of time the same amount of data (~9mb).

I just had a conversation with a TOT technician ....

He said TOT has gateway problems .... he said the 'highway' is full ...

The problems should be solved by the end of the month. I give them until then.

He asked me if Google was fast. I replied 'yes, but no wonder that's only text' ... His reply: 'Use then only Google until the end of the month' :o

BTW About Youtube.com .... that's strange .... previously Youtube banned TOT IPs ... now can watch at good speed (initially 70Kb up), but after a while it slows down.

Edited by sniffdog

I just had a conversation with a TOT technician ....

He said TOT has gateway problems .... he said the 'highway' is full ...

The problems should be solved by the end of the month. I give them until then.

He asked me if Google was fast. I replied 'yes, but no wonder that's only text' ... His reply: 'Use then only Google until the end of the month' :o

BTW About Youtube.com .... that's strange .... previously Youtube banned TOT IPs ... now can watch at good speed (70Kb up).

Some more about TOT recent crawl speed and excuses you can find in this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Big-Ministry...om-t206556.html

I got the same problem here in Chanthaburi. Internet's been slow as hel_l for the last 2 days. I'm really sick and tired of TOT as there's always some problem every month. I'm now switching to TT&T, but according to TOT I have to pay the following charges if I want to cancel my internet,

3584.50 Baht for the registered phone number.

1070 for the registering internet.

350 (discount/moth) x the month that I've used internet (as they apparently gave me a discounted rate)

Total comes in at over 7000 Baht!

I asked them if I can just keep the TOT number and register a new number with TT&T, but apparently that's not possible??

I'm I getting screwed by TOT?

Tompa,

I have been wondering if the Olympics are the cause. Specifically, all the journalists doing "research" and filing stories and the media streaming going on. I know there was a new undersea cable put in place to handle the traffic, but I think it wasn't enough bandwidth. I think it is spilling over onto our routes, and is being given priority over our routine traffic. But I'm just guessing.

Looks like they are locking the per-thread bandwidth to 12 KB/s.

My TOT adsl link is horribly slow on everything, not even 32 kbps shoutcast radio plays without several hickups per minute.

BUT, bittorrent downloads are lightning fast. I get a full 2 mbps each and every time I want to download the latest.... linux ISO's.. yes ISO's :o

Filtering gone wrong.

Oh, and a suggestion to everyone use opendns.

edited due to missing words and messed up formatting

Edited by filingaccount

Doing a little bit of research turns up these numbers

Month (Summary) : 2008-08-05

International Bandwidth : 30.071 Gbps

Domestics Bandwidth : 226.06 Gbps

Domain under .TH: 28652 Domains

โดเมนภาษาไทยภายใต้ .TH :7105 Domains

Internet User : 13.416 (Million) Users

That is ~0.0023 Mbps per user on average. Yes, that is 2.3 Kbps per user on average.

Yes, this is the reason why the speed sucks and they do everything they can to divert, blame and sooth everyone who has a complaint.

There is nothing they can do short of increasing the international bandwidth. However, since they all keep dropping the prices (as low as 590 baht for a 2 Mbps link), they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

ISP interconnection chart can be found here: http://internet.nectec.or.th/internetmap/v...etmap082008.gif

This is apparently the most recent one (August 2008).

Reading these numbers leads me to believe that True ISP would be the better choice based on total international bandwidth. However, the chart does not reveal the total number of Internet users for any ISP, rendering it nearly useless anyway.

One wonders how much a decent 1.866 Gbps link through one of the international bandwidth providers actually costs. Would 4,000 users each receiving 2 Mbps cover it (~4.2-to-1 ratio)? If so, at what price per month? 4000 users at 2500 baht per month is a nice round 10 million baht.

Edited by filingaccount

The ISPs are making lots of money on selling bandwidth that isn't available.

They could call them 20 Mbit/s since they guarantee nothing.

Until they buy more international bandwidth this country will never get decent internet.

What is funny is that some VERY smart Thai research group said that Thailand should aim to be the leading South East Asian country in Supercomputing. That to me sound like they want to buy huge trucks, but don't even have roads to drive on.

Again, could someone hold a seminar and teach these people what the word 'Priorities' mean.

I got the same problem here in Chanthaburi. Internet's been slow as hel_l for the last 2 days. I'm really sick and tired of TOT as there's always some problem every month. I'm now switching to TT&T, but according to TOT I have to pay the following charges if I want to cancel my internet,

3584.50 Baht for the registered phone number.

1070 for the registering internet.

350 (discount/moth) x the month that I've used internet (as they apparently gave me a discounted rate)

Total comes in at over 7000 Baht!

I asked them if I can just keep the TOT number and register a new number with TT&T, but apparently that's not possible??

I'm I getting screwed by TOT?

Tompa,

Tell them to put their phoneline where the sun doesn't shine and switch to TT&T.Are you being screwed by TOT.Yes big time.

I gave up on new iso and e mailed home.  I am keeping them in the Q, but I bet the ones downloaded in redmond and mailed next tuesday get here before one of these is done.  I keeping notes and screen shots and sending it to ToT, ICT, and The Bangkok Post.   Thai Post faster then ToT is this progress or what?

I gave up on new iso and e mailed home.  I am keeping them in the Q, but I bet the ones downloaded in redmond and mailed next tuesday get here before one of these is done.  I keeping notes and screen shots and sending it to ToT, ICT, and The Bangkok Post.   Thai Post faster then ToT is this progress or what?

Somebody can enlighten me..

I am on TOT 256/128 ...internet is always slow and downloading speed sometimes is in single figures. Have just got the following from speedtest.net

Results History

Test Again

Showing Results For MY CURRENT IP: 125.25.72.251 - (TOT PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED)

DATE

IP ADDRESS

DOWNLOAD

UPLOAD

LATENCY

SERVER

DISTANCE SHARE

8/17/2008 3:39 AM GMT 125.25.72.251 298 kb/s 84 kb/s 656 ms London ~ 5950 mi Open

Share Your Results

8/17/2008 3:35 AM GMT 125.25.72.251 325 kb/s 102 kb/s 178 ms Bangkok < 50 mi Open

Share Your Results

8/17/2008 3:34 AM GMT 125.25.72.251 253 kb/s 103 kb/s 173 ms Bangkok < 50 mi Open

Share Your Results

Tested because TOT guy came to repair the line. He tells me that soon..one to two months..we (village) are getting a new 2Mb line in. So will go and see about it. Cost is not the reason that I am on the lowest package...just that people seen to be saying..pay more but no faster..............comments please

I gave up on new iso and e mailed home. I am keeping them in the Q, but I bet the ones downloaded in redmond and mailed next tuesday get here before one of these is done. I keeping notes and screen shots and sending it to ToT, ICT, and The Bangkok Post. Thai Post faster then ToT is this progress or what?

I am on TOT 256/128 ...internet is always slow and downloading speed sometimes is in single figures. Have just got the following from speedtest.net

Results History

Test Again

DATE

IP ADDRESS

DOWNLOAD

UPLOAD

LATENCY

SERVER

DISTANCE SHARE

8/17/2008 3:39 AM GMT 125.25.72.251 298 kb/s 84 kb/s 656 ms London ~ 5950 mi Open

Share Your Results

8/17/2008 3:35 AM GMT 125.25.72.251 325 kb/s 102 kb/s 178 ms Bangkok < 50 mi Open

Share Your Results

8/17/2008 3:34 AM GMT 125.25.72.251 253 kb/s 103 kb/s 173 ms Bangkok < 50 mi Open

Share Your Results

Tested because TOT guy came to repair the line. He tells me that soon..one to two months..we (village) are getting a new 2Mb line in. So will go and see about it. Cost is not the reason that I am on the lowest package...just that people seen to be saying..pay more but no faster..............comments please

I think you are right. I used to have the smallest TOT connection and have noticed almost no increase in performance after upgrading to goldcyber.

The village getting a 2Mbit line could just be another excuse to shut up yet another unhappy customer. 2Mbit connection for a whole village should actually give you a hint that if just one of the TOT customers in your village have goldcyber he should be able to max the connection.

Do you use a Download Manager for Rapidshare ?

Because I see on your pictures you load a file in 4 segments.

True - as has been mentioned earlier - has been almost unusable since about last Friday - although connections to URLs within Thailand seem pretty much unaffected.

Impossible now to listen to a radio stream from outside of Thailand for more than a minute or two.

Do you use a Download Manager for Rapidshare ?

Because I see on your pictures you load a file in 4 segments.

Yes, if I download a movie I use Flashget (8 files at one simultaneously), single file I use IDM (4 connections). If I use Flashget I get full speed downloads (225Kbs). One file with

IDM is a disaster now, although I changed Rapidshare bandwidth provider. It's a little better, but far from the speed I used to get (picture 1).

Mind though you need a Premium account (which I am happy to pay 8 dollars per month for).

Still, can't figure out why 99% of the sites (and single file downloads) are so slow, but Youtube is so fast .....

Edited by sniffdog

I went into a ToT office today and set it out clear, and It may have worked I am running a download at 180kbs and TV site opened in 8 sec. Have not seen anything like it in three months.  I sure hope it stays like this at this time anyway I am a happy person again.  If its still working like this on friday I am going to buy that girl flowers. lots of em  :o

I gave up on new iso and e mailed home. I am keeping them in the Q, but I bet the ones downloaded in redmond and mailed next tuesday get here before one of these is done. I keeping notes and screen shots and sending it to ToT, ICT, and The Bangkok Post. Thai Post faster then ToT is this progress or what?

Results History

Test Again

DATE

IP ADDRESS

DOWNLOAD

UPLOAD

LATENCY

SERVER

DISTANCE SHARE

Share Your Results

Share Your Results

Share Your Results

I think you are right. I used to have the smallest TOT connection and have noticed almost no increase in performance after upgrading to goldcyber.

The village getting a 2Mbit line could just be another excuse to shut up yet another unhappy customer. 2Mbit connection for a whole village should actually give you a hint that if just one of the TOT customers in your village have goldcyber he should be able to max the connection.

Looks like I mis-understood somewhat...apparenty 'the line' is in fact capable of 98 feeds each will allow 2Mbs and will cost 1000baht/month 12 month contract...be interesting to see what I actually get as I jhave 'bagged' one of them.

Well mine started working last nite but today its back to .3Kb download speed and problems opening web sites I think it may have been working by mistake and they fixed that this morning.  Caching international sites they have on approvel list a using local mirror is not going to make a useful internet, but it will be controlled like the one in China.  The music is dead, internet Thailand is a paper Tiger.

Sawatdee Krap.

My interenet speed was slow for the past 5 days so I finally gave up and called the 1100 hotline two days ago. I spoke to the lady (Yes, unbelievable but there is an English-speaking person on hand) who took down pertinent info and asked questions like what website you having problems with, do you maybe have the virus, etc.

After telling her that my computer had no known viruses and the speed was super slow on all sites, internatinal as well as Thai, she said she would have technician look into it. Well today I received a pre-recorded message from Tot on house phone. What it said, I hadn't a clue.

But just for kicks, I restarted my computer and tested the internet speed with speedtest.net using the Bangkok server and.........Oh my Buddha! My ping which was 999 for the last 5 days suddently registered the normal average of 66 and the download speed was 1777 kbps, not 350 kbps during the week. I currently have the goldcyber 2M download so that isn't too bad considering the Olympics, etc.

Question: Is it possible that TOT's ADSL slowdown could be related in any way to the government's stance on keeping track of all internet activity starting August 23? Hmmmmm.......Just a thought.

If any of you are having problems, just give the TOT hotline 1100 a call and maybe it'll get things back to a semblance of "normality."

I just pray that my normal internet download speed remains around 1770 or so and doesn't degrade to 350. Wishful thinking, but " we can all dream."

Kuhp Kuhn Krap

Edited by wrestler7902002

Question: Is it possible that TOT's ADSL slowdown could be related in any way to the government's stance on keeping track of all internet activity starting August 23? Hmmmmm.......Just a thought.

Nope, the monitoring at ISP level has been done for a long time now.

The difference after the 23th is that now private companies, hotels, internet cafe's will have to monitor as well...