Buy A Small Studio In Nirun Or 9 Karat Condo

artan

Occasionally seen for sale in the classified section of local newspapers.

Seems to me that many get sold through word-of-mouth or small ads in the admin offices of these places.

You may also find that the small businesses in the area usually know someone who is selling - so worth a visit and ask around.

I don'y know 9 Karat, but Nirun is a hellhole. Cellblock H is what the locals call it.

Best way to buy any condo IMHO is to go inside and look on their notice board. You will find a few desparate sellers, and will get a feel for the popularity of the area by the number of people selling at discounted prices.

I don't know why anyone would chose to buy a condo in this price range in the current climate. They are mostly studios for which you will pay 700k to 1m. As an example, you could rent a small serviced room for 7k p/m, and after 10 years you will still be in the black, by which time Pattaya will have gone to the dogs.

I don'y know 9 Karat, but Nirun is a hellhole. Cellblock H is what the locals call it.

Best way to buy any condo IMHO is to go inside and look on their notice board. You will find a few desparate sellers, and will get a feel for the popularity of the area by the number of people selling at discounted prices.

I don't know why anyone would chose to buy a condo in this price range in the current climate. They are mostly studios for which you will pay 700k to 1m. As an example, you could rent a small serviced room for 7k p/m, and after 10 years you will still be in the black, by which time Pattaya will have gone to the dogs.

10 years!!?? Cripes, that already happened years ago.

Ive seen small condo's for sale at Nirun for around 300,000-400,000 . Its best to drive in and look on the notice boards in the door ways.

I used to live in Nirun Condo for around 3 years and enjoyed my stay there. I had to move out as I needed a bigger place (house) and was quite upset at leaving. You can pick up rooms for rent from around 3-4,000 baht/month. I used to pay 5,000 for a brand new fully furnished gorgeous room, marble floor, built in mirror wardrobes ect.

Take a look around both places first.

My first rented condo,5 years ago was nirun and made many friends there.I didnt think it was that bad to be honest but i am not a snob.24/7 food outlets and quite a safe place to stay.

9 karat looks more like cell block h but have many lovely rooms.

Good post meg,the place has everything especialy if its the first time living in Pattaya,includes nice pool and small gym,beer bars shops etc.Sounds that good i might move back lol.I can see nirun from my house and i always have good memories of the place.

Good post meg,the place has everything especialy if its the first time living in Pattaya,includes nice pool and small gym,beer bars shops etc.Sounds that good i might move back lol.I can see nirun from my house and i always have good memories of the place.

Haha, What a coincidence. I can also see Nirun from my house, and would love to move back there but can't because of my animals.. Its a lovely little place to live and I love the atmosphere there. Theres everything you need down those 2 little soi's and and its very warm and friendly.. Glad to see not everyone on here is a Nirun-basher!

I am not writing the following for any political reasons but I would like to advise anyone thinking of investing in 9 karat to put the kibosh on their plans right now. I lived there nearly 2 years in a rental. In that time, there was one hastily tossed together tenants' meeting which left many fuming. This was their first in 3 years! Once you buy, you are left to your own devices for ANY solution. Management does not give a hoot. They hired a resident Englishman to be the official customer service go to guy for all foreigners but he really only served as a screener for people to dump on. Once he served his purpose, his work permit was cut. My friends who are still there are extremely frustrated with the lack of any interest by management to listen to farang customers. The office is a complete joke and will leave you frustrated beyond belief. They simply don't care. Another major point of frustration is should you wish to do any renovations large or small, you MUST go through their personal reno company regardless of the premium you must pay. Ridiculous! Their only redeeming quality is their massive swimming pool and central location.

I am not writing the following for any political reasons but I would like to advise anyone thinking of investing in 9 karat to put the kibosh on their plans right now. I lived there nearly 2 years in a rental. In that time, there was one hastily tossed together tenants' meeting which left many fuming. This was their first in 3 years! Once you buy, you are left to your own devices for ANY solution. Management does not give a hoot. They hired a resident Englishman to be the official customer service go to guy for all foreigners but he really only served as a screener for people to dump on. Once he served his purpose, his work permit was cut. My friends who are still there are extremely frustrated with the lack of any interest by management to listen to farang customers. The office is a complete joke and will leave you frustrated beyond belief. They simply don't care. Another major point of frustration is should you wish to do any renovations large or small, you MUST go through their personal reno company regardless of the premium you must pay. Ridiculous! Their only redeeming quality is their massive swimming pool and central location.

Thanks for all wise advice,,Love and hate Nirun but to compare between Nirun and 9Karat,, please vote

My plan is to buy a little sheep studio in Pattaya, only for stay overnight when I visit Pattaya

and other Studio for living, outside Rayong,,,artan

I've heard residents of Center Condo say much the same thing. Is this a characteristic of the more budget-oriented condos? You can't have it all I guess, two-star prices with five-star service.

hendrix you are right on this. I have lived in this building the past 2 years and my opinion is that you get what you pay for. It is along with Nirun probably the one of the cheapest condos in Pattaya but there are problems.

One of my friends is selling his condo in 9 Karat right now and he is shocked at the massive transfer fee charged by the condo management. They need payment of 40,000 baht just to do the office transfer, this is in addition to the Government fees. His lawyer said all condos charge a fee for this but the 9 Karat fee is way above the others. Management is lousy here and farang complaints or requests are never taken seriously. The building is like a prison, just walk down any passage way and you are confronted by steel door after steel door.

The northwest stairwell hasn't been cleaned for years, there is broken glass, sh!t and at one time even a litter of kittens in box there, now I don't use that stairwell anymore. Some people have cats and dogs as pets too but the owners let their pets out of the condo and course they will piss and sh!t as most animals do. The second floor is very dark and this is where the animals tend to do their dirty business.

I am still here because it's cheap, right now there are 2 x 32 SQM condos for sale on the 2nd floor for 600,000 baht each but I myself would stay away from that floor. I am sure there are others for sale. The 64 SQM condos sell from 1.2 Million up. On the upper floors it can be comfortable particularly when you close your door and you have a nicely decorated condo to live in. You could be anywhere, then you open the door and you have Gow Karat. Some floors are better than others, look at level 8 (the chosen level) nice lobby and spray painted lift doors, then look at level 6 or 11 and you have broken tiles everywhere.

The pluses are, nice pool, new shop, beauty salon, and a small restaurant/bar.

All in all for the price you pay in 9 Karat it is fair value for what you get be be warned of the above shortfalls.

Ling

I do not live in 9 Karat or in Nirun. I live elsewhere in the same Arunotai area.

I eat regularly in Nirun, and most of the people I speak to there seem to be happy. Yes, it is has a "cell block" look, but the people that live there like the community around them. It is like a small village. You can rent a small studio in there for around 7,000 per month, or buy for around 400,000.

I have never been inside 9 Karat. I have heard numerous stories about the place - all bad. About common areas being dark, dirty, and about lack of maintenance. And about the hurdles placed in your way when you try to sell your condo. Bear in mind that the owner has been trying to sell those rooms for years, ever since he inherited the building from his father. So he tries to discourage any private sales - by making it difficult and expensive - whilst he is still trying to unload his own rooms. And I see the water trucks rolling in there all day every day. They have regular water shortages.

IMHO, if you want to buy in one of those two places, buy in Nirun.

Edited by SmartFarang

Are they better than View Tallay 1 or 2 near the beach in Jomtien ?

Thanks.

Definitively not! In View Talay 1 you may find high floor units with great views from 1.1 million up (Farang name). More expensive, of course, but (in my opinion) still a reasonable investment with real value.