Spirit Houses On The Road Side

12DrinkMore

Often you will come across a place on the roadside where, I guess, between five and fifty spirit houses have been placed or dumped. What is the story here? Are they new spirits houses or are they old spirit houses which need a new location? Or maybe even bad spirit houses which have had to be moved?

Maybe the Thais don't like chucking them in the bin, so they find a spirit house resting ground?

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Often you will come across a place on the roadside where, I guess, between five and fifty spirit houses have been placed or dumped. What is the story here? Are they new spirits houses or are they old spirit houses which need a new location? Or maybe even bad spirit houses which have had to be moved?

Maybe the Thais don't like chucking them in the bin, so they find a spirit house resting ground?

I suppose the other answers could all be valid depending on the particular location. I can tell you that the one outside my village is offerings to the local spirits. Occasionally the very old houses are removed but they are left until they are falling apart. If you see stubs of incense or candles it is not a dump and if there are several it is probably not for a road accident.

My wife (Thai) says Thai people believe that the old Spirit Houses should be placed near a road or mountain (big hill). When I asked her why, she had no idea. It's one of those things you just don't continue inquiring about....lol. But I am certain the comment about sheep following couldn't be more true.

Martian