PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

PAD isn't exactly a part of the Thai Establishment,

What have you been smoking? You can't possibly think this is some kind of spontaneous romantic movement by the weak and oppressed majority against tyranny?

I suppose you're now going to tell me that the old-family bureaucratic types, curiously rich army figures, Prem, aristocracts, and many, many of the other mysteriously yet fantastically wealthy closed-shop families in Thailand are not supporters of PAD? Thaksin and democracy was raining on their vain little parade. It was the first time in their life that someone wasn't holding an umbrella for them - and they're going to make sure populism and democracy never rain on them again.

The new country will be called Thayanmar. Sondhi will be Prime Minister and Baldy, his side-kick, will become Interior Minister. Then all their rich little kids will go shopping at Paragon until the stores all close a year or so later and the US and EU sanctions begin to bite.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PAD moves protesters from NBT to Government House

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy moved its protesters from NBT Channel to Government House at 5 pm.

The NBT stopped occupying the NBT head office apparently after it failed to block NBT from airing its programmes from somewhere else and the PAD failed to hack through security system of the station to relay signal from ASTV as initially planned.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

It's the top story on the Beeb's International page now. And as usual, it takes the BBC to call things accurately. Calling a spade and spade..Here's an excerpt.

BBC>

This is a mass protest movement with a difference, according to the BBC correspondent in Bangkok, Jonathan Head.

Despite the name, the People's Alliance for Democracy is actually campaigning for an end to democracy, arguing that in Thailand Western-style elections have only led to corrupt and ineffective governments.

Instead, it wants a largely appointed parliament, and a legalised role for the military as a kind of referee in Thai politics, our correspondent adds.

I reckon if that's what it wants, then Thailand will need to change its name to Burma, eh?

I am sure the BBC is properly providing unbiased news. </sarcasm>

And what part of the BBC news are you saying is biased? I know that it really gets up your nose when people remind you of the true PAD agenda. It really is so sad to see so many people so blinded by their loathing and hatred of Thaksin, that they embrace this bunch of fascists as some kind of saviours!

Apparently the "PAD" have been paying people 2-300 THB to pretend to be protesters. For those who wonder why these people aren't at work, technically they are.

Where did you get that snippet from Gym?

Cheers, Rick

I asked some Thai friends here why all those people weren't at work and they laughed and told me to look closely at them, not a majority of mid class Bangkokians. Apparently it is no secret they have been offering people in the provinces money and shirts to protest, this time and last time.

On a par with the elections then. No good news.

Cheers, Rick

It's the top story on the Beeb's International page now. And as usual, it takes the BBC to call things accurately. Calling a spade and spade..Here's an excerpt.

BBC>

This is a mass protest movement with a difference, according to the BBC correspondent in Bangkok, Jonathan Head.

Despite the name, the People's Alliance for Democracy is actually campaigning for an end to democracy, arguing that in Thailand Western-style elections have only led to corrupt and ineffective governments.

Instead, it wants a largely appointed parliament, and a legalised role for the military as a kind of referee in Thai politics, our correspondent adds.

I reckon if that's what it wants, then Thailand will need to change its name to Burma, eh?

Would you mind pointing which part of the quoted BBC report is inaccurate?

:o

Someone try to top that!

What have you been smoking? You can't possibly think this is some kind of spontaneous romantic movement by the weak and oppressed majority against tyranny?

I suppose you're now going to tell me that the old-family bureaucratic types, curiously rich army figures, Prem, aristocracts, and many, many of the other mysteriously yet fantastically wealthy closed-shop families in Thailand are not supporters of PAD? Thaksin and democracy was raining on their vain little parade. It was the first time in their life that someone wasn't holding an umbrella for them - and they're going to make sure populism and democracy never rain on them again.

The new country will be called Thayanmar. Sondhi will be Prime Minister and Baldy, his side-kick, will become Interior Minister. Then all their rich little kids will go shopping at Paragon until the stores all close a year or so later and the US and EU sanctions begin to bite.

I would have to say the country should be called Burma with Electricity or BE for short. The Tourism Authority of Thailand will come up with a new advertising campaign called "BE Amazing". :o

Apparently the "PAD" have been paying people 2-300 THB to pretend to be protesters. For those who wonder why these people aren't at work, technically they are.

Cheers, Rick

My staff and my wife went there, as well some of our wealthy customer. I guess they wouldn't care of 300 THB. It is complete nonsense that they get paid. Actually our staff even give some money there.

From Chonburi free buses were provided through a booking system. I think they are going tomorrow as well. There were no financial incentives. I think you can get free vegetarian food or free donated food or buy from vendors at the rally sites. you have to pay for the T-shirts although if you said you were poor you may get a free one.

There was specualtion that Chonburi would also be providing the bulk of the demonstrators which i no surprise as Thaksin is not popular in the East but there sure aint a big mass of paid rally goers from here.

That is my experience anyway and it contrasts with the time Thaksin was doing his visit the provinces bit an dturned up at Chonburi to make a speech. People were told they would get 300 baht to attend and songthaew drivers 1000 baht to turn up. Well the turn out was so low the TRT never paid up.

Personaly I dont think todays rally a very positive thing but there is little to no evidence of need to pay large amounts of people from what I see and around here if someone is paying people to do things the word gets out.

Cheers, Rick

My staff and my wife went there, as well some of our wealthy customer. I guess they wouldn't care of 300 THB. It is complete nonsense that they get paid. Actually our staff even give some money there.

I can confirm Gym's figures: 300 Bahts per protester per day of protest. Plus free food, plus free ride to and from the protest if you come from the provinces around Bangkok. My father in law goes there, I got the information first hand from him.

Maybe 300 Baht is little for h90's staff and customers, but for a lot of people, 300 Bahts represent 1.5 times the minimum daily wage in Bangkok (currently about 200 Bahts), so it's a very good job, less tiring than factory work and better paid.

I would have to say the country should be called Burma with Electricity or BE for short. The Tourism Authority of Thailand will come up with a new advertising campaign called "BE Amazing". :o

Grant ... your comparisons are specious to say the very least.

PAD moves protesters from NBT to Government House

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy moved its protesters from NBT Channel to Government House at 5 pm.

The NBT stopped occupying the NBT head office apparently after it failed to block NBT from airing its programmes from somewhere else and the PAD failed to hack through security system of the station to relay signal from ASTV as initially planned.

-- The Nation 2008-08-26

Should of tried "password", or somebody's phone number.

PM Samak to Explains the PAD Rally to Foreign News Agencies

BANGKOK: - Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has scheduled a press conference for foreign news agencies at 6 p.m.

Meanwhile Deputy PM and Interior Minister Kowit Wattana has been meeting with National Police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan and Metropolitan Police chief Asawin Kwanmueng. They are expected to draw up measures to handle PAD protesters after having been given an order by PM Samak to deal with the PAD supporters.

-- Thailand Outlook Channel 2008-08-26

BBC>

Would you mind pointing which part of the quoted BBC report is inaccurate?

Hmmm. Let's see... Inaccurate does not mean the same as unbiased. Technically a news article can be 'correct' with a bias by not presenting a full story... the British and US media has been doing this for years... Since a) I dont have access to the BBC and :o The poster provided an 'excerpt' I cannot comment on specific inaccuracies.

And what part of the BBC news are you saying is biased? I know that it really gets up your nose when people remind you of the true PAD agenda. It really is so sad to see so many people so blinded by their loathing and hatred of Thaksin, that they embrace this bunch of fascists as some kind of saviors!

I couldn't agree more.

And by the way...my sister in law and her friend (on a recent trip to Bangkok) were offered 300 baht each to participate in protests.

The systems broken, but the PAD is not the way to fix it.

I am watching NBT again and i can see people in the building open carrying hefty looking sticks and one guy had a metal bar. If this is meant to be a peaceful protest why the need to carry the weapons?

Anyone else seen this?

Cheers, Rick

Grant ... your comparisons are specious to say the very least.

wow! Sorry it took me so long but, THANKS! I had to head over to dictionary.com to check out specious. I thought it was going to be bad.

The estasblishment and the PAD are not exactly the same thing. the PAD which includes a few members of the establishment (not many) have their own agenda and are sometimes used by the bureaucratic establishment who have a seprate agenda. This is complicated by the fact that the TRT and the PPP even more so are stuffed full of establishment figures. This is not about poor oppressed people. It is a plain old fashioned power struggle between members of the establishment. The establishment figures in the bureaucracy and establishment figures in the PPP will in the end probably find a way to work out a deal and get back to business as usual. It is quite likley that there will be a very few establishment casualties in this including Thaksin and extended family and the PAD and of course the UDD which also includes a few establishment figures.

It's a protest by 10,000 people. That does not make a population.

They represent a lot more that 10,000.

They certainly dont represent many of the millions of poor here in the North East

thier 300 baht comes from the other team you mean ??

Edited by LivinLOS

Cheers, Rick

Rather shot yourself in your foot there, h90. "Your staff", presumably, were still being paid by you when they went there (or did you dock their wages?), and sure then you, your staff and "some of your wealthy customers" went round giving money out, no wonder PAD rallies are well attended!

It's a protest by 10,000 people. That does not make a population.

They represent a lot more that 10,000.

They certainly dont represent many of the millions of poor here in the North East

I think those people (the poor) have no option but to represent themselves. Always have done and always will do until someone else comes in and changes things ...

There have to be other behind the scene power players in this "struggle" who are holding back the current administration from cracking skulls correct?

the whole idea of "this is the people's voice" is just silly

the people protesting are being used as pawns - they are allowed to express this "voice" because someone else wants it expressed

the fact that things have gotten this bad already mean one thing

SAMAK IS FINISHED

Cheers, Rick

I can confirm Gym's figures: 300 Bahts per protester per day of protest. Plus free food, plus free ride to and from the protest if you come from the provinces around Bangkok. My father in law goes there, I got the information first hand from him.

Maybe 300 Baht is little for h90's staff and customers, but for a lot of people, 300 Bahts represent 1.5 times the minimum daily wage in Bangkok (currently about 200 Bahts), so it's a very good job, less tiring than factory work and better paid.

You and your father in law are talking complete and utter crap. My Thai husband is there, Thai friends have been there off and on, when they can spare the time, and NOT ONE OF THEM GETS PAID A SINGLE SATUNG. They are there because they feel passionately about the future of Thailand the the continuing pillage of their country by Taksin and Samak.

Cheers, Rick

You and your father in law are talking complete and utter crap. My Thai husband is there, Thai friends have been there off and on, when they can spare the time, and NOT ONE OF THEM GETS PAID A SINGLE SATUNG. They are there because they feel passionately about the future of Thailand the the continuing pillage of their country by Taksin and Samak.

Well thanks for clearing that one up Tamsin.

Cheers, Rick

Is there a breaking news only thread on this? Hard to wade thru pages of comments (I'm being nice :o ) to keep an eye on the actual picture...

you hit the nail on the head! there should be a 'closed' news channel/thread with no comments by no one. and then a discussion channel, where we can exchange arguments and opinions.

I agree! Dear ThaiVisa Admin could you set up something like this?

So what's the current status? Did the hooligans go back home? Or are they still trying to overthrow the legitimately elected government?

Why don't you ask your Thai husband, and your Thai friends, if some of the protesters are getting paid? No one said EVERYONE gets paid... if they deny it then they are the ones talking complete and utter crap.

Thaksin and democracy .

Can't say the two words in the same breath as it constitutes a contradiction of terms.

Correct, PAD are not the peasants arriving with pitchforks.

We'll see who the violent crowd are once the authorities decide to disregard all restraint and ignore all constraints.

However, PAD clearly has a sustained plan of action as indicated by its proactive response to the police and PM's order to clear out of Government House by 6 pm. PAD isn't going anywhere just yet, at least not for the next 3 days according to its leaders.

In fact now that 6 pm has passed, the PM is going to have to go on tv to claim...whatever he thinks and believes he can gat away with saying against PAD.

I know plenty of Thais who'd agree to vote a certain way for Baht 300 and even make a long bus ride to do so, but I dunno very many Thais who'd risk life or limb for Baht 300 as the PAD people are doing now, especiall as the long nite decends on the capital.

Thanks for turning up. Just because they didn't get any doesn't mean others have not been paid.

I agree! Dear ThaiVisa Admin could you set up something like this?

So what's the current status? Did the hooligans go back home? Or are they still trying to overthrow the legitimately elected government?

Perhaps you should actually read the contents of this thread....

The govt has vowed to remove the protesters ... The protesters have vowed to stay for 3 days....