Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is that true, Thais would always recognize Kwai as a ruder way of saying farang? I know some Thai's looking for a white sugar Daddy call us Kwai, but didn't realize this was a general term applying to all white people. True or not, because that is a funny one, and similar in a way to the word Queer in relation to homosexual.

So, I see we have some Thai posters on this thread.

What does KWAI when used to describe PEOPLE mean to you?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it chaps, if your own countries were so great, why on Earth did you come to Thailand to live in the first place ?

Agreed, but that does not mean we need to turn off our brains and not see racism when we see it. If a Thai lifts our wallet, do we say, that is the Thai cultural way, to share with neighbors. No, we say THIEF!

My point would be that in Thailand if a Thai lifts your wallet and you posted that here, ALL Thais are branded as thieves, not just the individual that stole from you.

If some guy in Miami lifts a wallet, does that make all US Citizens theives ?

If some guy from Liverpool steals your wallet, does that make all scousers...........OK, I won't finish that. :o

I'm sure you can see my point.

Edited by Maigo6

QUOTE (bkkjames @ 2008-08-28 15:48:09)

Because there ace, I am a Canadian, call me Kon Canadian. DO you think Thais would like to be called Kon Asian, Kon Oriental etc etc. No, they would be upset.

I do not know you but if I were to see you across the street from me, how do I know that you are Canadian and not Aussie, Kiwi, Pole or Dutch?

So if I saw what looked like to be a Thai across the street from me and say not someone from Cambodia or Laos or Malaysia.....

Can you answer the question? How would I know that you were Canadian?

Get real, folks. You could be wearing a big American flag, sneakers, singing America the Beautiful between bites on your CHEESEBURGER and most Thais on the street would STILL just call you a FARANG. My point is FACE REALITY.

Or in the case of the Canuck, wearing a big Maple Leaf Flag, wielding a HOCKEY STICK, and singing O Canada between spooning up your precious POUTINE, STILL A FARANG!

Am I right or am I right?

Edited by Jingthing

Is that true, Thais would always recognize Kwai as a ruder way of saying farang? I know some Thai's looking for a white sugar Daddy call us Kwai, but didn't realize this was a general term applying to all white people. True or not, because that is a funny one, and similar in a way to the word Queer in relation to homosexual.

Calling someone kwai is calling them stupid not farang. "ai kwai" literally - "<deleted>($!ng buffalo" or more to a Thai's understanding - "####### stupid person". Not a saying I'd recommend bringing into one's vocabulary unless one's understanding of, and spoken word of Thai language is very good.

Of course this same insult is often used amongst friends when you want to get a rise out of your mate.......

... Of course, it is often very rude and of course it is a racial word because they are referring to people with white skin.
Is there a MORE RUDE word that Thais know that also means farangs? yes

If so, what is it? kwai = buffalo

'farang' originally means 'longnose' (not white skin) and was given to the french who were the first in numbers in indochina. therefore land of the longnose = farangset = france. all kinds of generalization are a clear signs of impoliteness like frogs yanks krauts etc. the polite way to address somebody in thailand is title + first name like khun, nong, pii, lung etc. depending on the relation. if the 'farang' wants to be polite and be addressed politely, he introduces himself with his first name (or your choosen nick-name) + his age, so that the thai can address him correctly. if the thai can and wants he is friendly, if not you know: he doesn't want or can't.

and my good advice: never ever listen to: "ey farang" or you've lost your face.

Maybe when posting you can address the thai as Thai (Then you wont loose face) :o

I'm not Thai, but I can answer your question.

ควาย (kwai) - buffalo, can mean "stupid" when referring to people.

โง่เหมือนควาย is a common Thai saying. "As stupid as a buffalo".

I have never heard it used as a "gay" term. Mind you I don't mix in those circles.

I have never heard it used as a "gay" term. Mind you I don't mix in those circles.

Sorry, you haven't read my post about this in the thread.

I am suggesting we might do what gay people have done, take a previously offensive word used about them (QUEER) and play games with it by turning it around and using it on themselves with pride.

Farang isn't offensive enough for that purpose. I am wondering if there is such a word in Thai that we could play games with the Thais with in the same way gays used the word gays used to word QUEER to actually make a POINT.

I have heard the word Kwai used to describe a certain kind of farang, the big score who will buy a house for a scheming Thai mate for example. Not sure KWAI is right word for my suggestion, but it would certainly be interesting if when people call you a farang, you correct them with something even MORE offensive. Maybe it would be taken as a kind of self deprecatory humor or maybe Thais would freak out and get upset, I am just putting out the idea for discussion.

Edited by Jingthing

Get real, folks. You could be wearing a big American flag, sneakers, singing America the Beautiful between bites on your CHEESEBURGER and most Thais on the street would STILL just call you a FARANG. My point is FACE REALITY.

Or in the case of the Canuck, wearing a big Maple Leaf Flag, wielding a HOCKEY STICK, and singing O Canada between spooning up your precious POUTINE, STILL A FARANG!

I'm still and always wil be a Farang, yeah.

Same as if a Thai person were to go to UK, they would always be Thai.

I am suggesting we might do what gay people have done, take a previously offensive word used about them (QUEER) and play games with it by turning it around and using it on themselves with pride.

Farang isn't offensive enough for that purpose. I am wondering if there is such a word in Thai that we could play games with the Thais with in the same way gays used the word gays used to word QUEER to actually make a POINT.

I have heard the word Kwai used to describe a certain kind of farang, the big score who will buy a house for a scheming Thai mate for example.

For an Experianced TV Member I am shocked at your post :o

What's wrong with white expats living in Thailand trying to blend in with us? :o :yawn:

What's wrong with [:yawn:] being put at the end of every post? It is a sure sign of immaturity .. sort of like a few years back in Chiang Mai when so many Uni students tended to utter "wow!" at the end of every phrase.

No, not true. The Thai is a Thai BOTH in Thailand and abroad. You are only a farang IN Thailand.

For an Experianced TV Member I am shocked at your post

GOOD!

Maybe that was the point. I do think we have the accept things the way they are here, I don't think we can change much nor is it our role to try, but I also think we should not turn off our western brains, and I am just wondering if we can play some games to jump start some THOUGHT among Thais who so often react in reactionary ways, what is the harm?

Edited by Jingthing

Exactley......... Farang/Falang is not offensive.

I have heard the word Kwai used to describe a certain kind of farang, the big score who will buy a house for a scheming Thai mate for example. Not sure KWAI is right word for my suggestion, but it would certainly be interesting if when people call you a farang, you correct them with something even MORE offensive. Maybe it would be taken as a kind of self deprecatory humor or maybe Thais would freak out and get upset, I am just putting out the idea for discussion.

ฝรั่งโง่เหมือนควาย

Good Lord, how difficult can it be?

Farang: Collective noun used to describe someone of caucasian appearance.

Thai: Collective noun used to describe a citizen of Thailand.

You don't see the Thais getting bent out of shape every time they are referred to as Kon Thai. Why do Kon Farang have to have such a big chip on their shoulder about this.

JJ

Contrast that with .. used to address someone .. and maybe you will grasp the notion that the discussions here cannot be rolled into one neat package.

what are we then?

This thread has been done a billion times, more importantly I just figured out your avatar..........it's a lamp ! All this time I thought it was a lady's crotch ! Man, that's a funny halucination......

The thread, as I understand it the first whites here were French, "Farangset' in Thai, morphed to cover all foreigners to "Farang". Impliteness I think would have to be taken in context, otherwise NOT.

Huggybear I thought that was a pair of a womens legs going up to pink heaven myself. thats a hel_l of a subliminal avatar!

Yes, thanks for pointing that out huggy. Its a bit like when psychiatrists show you a squashed blob of paint and ask you what you see. At least I know there are at least two other members that see the good in everything.

Oh yes...falang ? Don't like it ? How about we call ourselves Macksidars. Don't know the history of this one but it sounds like they see us as people who frequent fast food places and have a burger with a side order ?

You tell them ThiThi...........................

Farangs have to realise they're in Thailand cos they choose to be, don't expect Thailand to change just cos a few Farangs stay in the country!

:o and no need to change

and i def cant tell u who started this thread ... too obviously

Edited by thithi

what are we then?

This thread has been done a billion times, more importantly I just figured out your avatar..........it's a lamp ! All this time I thought it was a lady's crotch ! Man, that's a funny halucination......

The thread, as I understand it the first whites here were French, "Farangset' in Thai, morphed to cover all foreigners to "Farang". Impliteness I think would have to be taken in context, otherwise NOT.

Huggybear I thought that was a pair of a womens legs going up to pink heaven myself. thats a hel_l of a subliminal avatar!

Yes, thanks for pointing that out huggy. Its a bit like when psychiatrists show you a squashed blob of paint and ask you what you see. At least I know there are at least two other members that see the good in everything.

Oh yes...falang ? Don't like it ? How about we call ourselves Macksidars. Don't know the history of this one but it sounds like they see us as people who frequent fast food places and have a burger with a side order ?

"macksida" as you put it, is Lao for "farang". Exactly the same meaning.

If a Thai approaches you and compliments you on your skintone, would you take offence ?

If they addressed me as "ay, farang" or "you, farang", I would ignore them because of their rudeness. If they addressed me as "khun" or "khun, krap", I would be neither offended nor put off .. probably engaging them in some form of conversation .. explaining that their skin tone appeals more to me than does mine.

I seldom take "offence" at someone's rudeness .. rater I tend to ignore them.

It isn't .. Kwai is also used as slang for "clumsy".

at least they tried hard to speak to u in English

and you mean Khun, Ter ... as well as Gae!

but do u really think it means Gae ??

or u guys think all of us can speak english well?

Edited by thithi

YOU YOU in my book is Offensive not Farang.

Even that is not meant to be offensive. It just means someone has taught them that 'you' means the same as khun (คุณ) which is a rather polite way of addressing somebody, same as Mr/Miss or Ma'am.

Heck I don't think the Thais would knowingly want to offend anyone, unless you pee'd them off first!

JJ