Hitting Motorcycles

Neeranam

Has anyone hit a motorcycle with their motor? Did you stop?

I hit one the other day going the wrong way up a main road with no lights on. I slowed down to see if they were hurt - unfortunately they weren't(only joking) so I carried on and got respray for my front for 2000 baht.

I'd say often it is best to stop and often not. What do you think?

If it were my fault and they fell off, I'definately stop, otherwise probably not.

I hit one the other day going the wrong way up a main road with no lights on. I slowed down to see if they were hurt - unfortunately they weren't(only joking) so I carried on and got respray for my front for 2000 baht.

If it were my fault and they fell off, I'definately stop, otherwise probably not.

I would stop and call my insurance but probably stay in the car ready to drive off just in case some other bikers came along.

You used the words "hit one". It take it that you considered it to be your fault..otherwise I would expect you to use the words "hit me".

So turn it around...if someone hit you, would you expect them to stop? Would you be upset if they did not?

And would it matter what type of vehicles are involved?

a bike hit my motor as he was driving stupidly overtaking cars at some speed,as i beeped at him to stop he looked around and just took off even quicker,i tried to keep up but obviously with traffic its not possible and he hurtled thru a red light (shame he wasnt hit as he did this.....karma),anyway the point im trying to make is that it seems only farangs seem to stop when accidents happen even if the thais have insurance they dont like to stop and only seem to if the car/bike is inoperable. if they actually killed someone then you wouldnt see them for dust.....this doesnt give me much faith in the system so therefore im not sure i would stop unless really necessary as a lot of bikes dont have insurance so when they hit you ,you will still end up out of pocket and if you hit them(thru there bad driving) then they just say its your fault and expect your insurance to pay anyway.

i think if i hit a bike and it was ridden in a stupid/illegal way then i wouldnt stop unless i seriously injured the person.....when in thailand do as the thais do seems to be fair. correct?

a bike hit my motor as he was driving stupidly overtaking cars at some speed,as i beeped at him to stop he looked around and just took off even quicker,i tried to keep up but obviously with traffic its not possible and he hurtled thru a red light (shame he wasnt hit as he did this.....karma),anyway the point im trying to make is that it seems only farangs seem to stop when accidents happen even if the thais have insurance they dont like to stop and only seem to if the car/bike is inoperable. if they actually killed someone then you wouldnt see them for dust.....this doesnt give me much faith in the system so therefore im not sure i would stop unless really necessary as a lot of bikes dont have insurance so when they hit you ,you will still end up out of pocket and if you hit them(thru there bad driving) then they just say its your fault and expect your insurance to pay anyway.

i think if i hit a bike and it was ridden in a stupid/illegal way then i wouldnt stop unless i seriously injured the person.....when in thailand do as the thais do seems to be fair. correct?

Your post is so full of condradictions I can't be bothered to highlight more than I have already.

So it would seem that the gentlemanly act of stopping to render assistance is optional in LOS. That would explain the attitude of Thai's.....who seem to do a runner even in a minor incident.....unless they realise it's a farang in the other vehicle! :o

I basically was the victim of a hit and run in July, on my moto. Never saw the car, just heard it hit the back of the bike as I went sailing into the ditch. Police investigator later determined it was my fault because the car driver had the right of way (what, going 120 kph with her lights off on a busy road?). She could have left me dead, for all she knew. The next day her conscience got the better of her and she 'fessed up and turned herself in. The Thais who drove by did stop and render aid, however, very nicely.

OTOH, I was driving down a busy street in Chiang Mai one night, and a long tuk-tuk turned directly in front of me, causing me to fall down. He hardly paused, and went right on. A Thai recognized me as his customer, and rushed to my aid.

As for that lady who could have killed me in July...we each paid the cop shop 400 baht for their trouble. However, because she had run away (even though the police said it was my fault), she could not claim her damages against me, and she had to pay 3,000 baht to the police captain.

Let your warped conscience be your guide. You might recall the story about the priest and the Levite who refused to stop and render aid to a Jew, who was helped by a despised Hill tribe man we call "The Good Samaritan."

I basically was the victim of a hit and run in July, on my moto. Never saw the car, just heard it hit the back of the bike as I went sailing into the ditch. Police investigator later determined it was my fault because the car driver had the right of way (what, going 120 kph with her lights off on a busy road?). She could have left me dead, for all she knew. The next day her conscience got the better of her and she 'fessed up and turned herself in. The Thais who drove by did stop and render aid, however, very nicely.

OTOH, I was driving down a busy street in Chiang Mai one night, and a long tuk-tuk turned directly in front of me, causing me to fall down. He hardly paused, and went right on. A Thai recognized me as his customer, and rushed to my aid.

As for that lady who could have killed me in July...we each paid the cop shop 400 baht for their trouble. However, because she had run away (even though the police said it was my fault), she could not claim her damages against me, and she had to pay 3,000 baht to the police captain.

Let your warped conscience be your guide. You might recall the story about the priest and the Levite who refused to stop and render aid to a Jew, who was helped by a despised Hill tribe man we call "The Good Samaritan."

It surprises me that the copper would have determined it was your fault. At least in Ohio she would have been charged with a whole list of infractions. Failure to yield right of way; failure to maintain a safe distance; fleeing the scene of a crime; etc.

I'm personally of the opinion that the O.P. should have stopped. Simply calling your insurance company should get most of that crap sorted out if they see paleskin and think they've hit the jackpot. Also it would assuage any guilt that may arise due to being unsure as to their condition.

Idon't recall. Was this in Chiang Mai or farther North?

It surprises me that the copper would have determined it was your fault. At least in Ohio she would have been charged with a whole list of infractions. Failure to yield right of way; failure to maintain a safe distance; fleeing the scene of a crime; etc.

I'm personally of the opinion that the O.P. should have stopped. Simply calling your insurance company should get most of that crap sorted out if they see paleskin and think they've hit the jackpot. Also it would assuage any guilt that may arise due to being unsure as to their condition.

The problem is, we are not in Ohio, not in Europe, etc. We are in Thailand and the rules are allways the same. Farangs are in any accident are allways wrong and allways have to pay.

Have a friend who a few months ago was run into by a 14 year old, no license, going the wrong way on the street. He had a cut toe so friend took him to the nearest Dr. who bandaged the toe and charged him 300Baht, then the police said it wasn't his fault but he had topay 1,000 to police. The kids mother showed up and tried to get big Baht out of him, which he refused to pay.

In the LOS if you are in a accident it is your fault regardless of what happens.

Not to sure if I would stop or not, depend on the circumstances.

Hang on a moment, you say it wasn't your fault, you speak fluent Thai and live in Khon Kaen, and you fled the scene of an accident, and paid 2000 Baht to cover up the evidence ?

Why didn't you stop ?

Don't you have insurance ?

I will let you know when I'm coming to Khon Kaen, you can advise me on the roads you will be driving on and I will steer well clear of them.

:o

Edited by Maigo6

Hang on a moment, you say it wasn't your fault, you speak fluent Thai and live in Khon Kaen, and you fled the scene of an accident, and paid 2000 Baht to cover up the evidence ?

Why didn't you stop ?

I will let you know when I'm coming to Khon Kaen, you can advise me on the roads you will be driving on and I will steer well clear of them.

Main reason - I was in a rush - late for an important meeting.

I do have insurance but only 2nd class.

My Thai is not fluent.

I wasn't sure if I would be blamed. I wasn't actually sure if I was partly to blame.

Let me know when you come, you're welcome to come round for a cup of tea :D

Isn't it required by Law that any accident is reported to the police?

In Nakhlua I witnessed a motocy taxi driver turning left from the right lane and run into a thai girl in the left lane also on a motocy, both were knocked off their bikes and dazed but the motocy taxi was the first to recover and he hopped on his bike and rode off sharpish.

How about if a motorcycle hits you? Last year I was sitting at a light in Bangkok and a motorcycle hit me from the side putting a nice dent in my front left bumper. Obviously he was in the wrong. By the time I got out of the car he quickly picked up his bike and drove off.

Why didn't you stop ?

Main reason - I was in a rush - late for an important meeting.

I do have insurance but only 2nd class.

My Thai is not fluent.

I wasn't sure if I would be blamed. I wasn't actually sure if I was partly to blame.

Let me know when you come, you're welcome to come round for a cup of tea :D

Neer --- you need to go back and read your first couple of posts again

Why didn't you stop ?

After driving in Thailand for the last 12 years I have lost count of the number of times I have been dinged by Thaia on motor bikes and I have never found any of the drivers to have insurance or any concern for the fact that it was their fault i.e. driving against traffic, over taking on the left etc.... as a matter of fact I have even had road rage directed at me because I was turning and had someone overtaking me on my left. At this point I am thankful that I have a large brush guard on the front of my truck as it pushes motor bikes out of the way without leaving a mark on my bumper. No matter what if we are not Thai it is best to understand that we will be found at financial fault and to think other wise is to beleive in the tooth fairy. :D

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been turning left (with indicators), only to have to Jam on my breaks when checking the mirrors and left hand blind spots. I think I have saved a good number of motorcyclists from pain and injury by being lucky enough to have seen them, but one day one will hit me for sure – its just a matter of time.

In general I have found motorcyclists in Thailand to have no concept of consequence and no regard for their own safety.

I’ve been very lucky so far by not hitting a bike. I’m sure its coming and based on past experience (8 years driving in Bangkok and Thailand) it won’t be my fault.

Knowing that they don’t have insurance I wouldn’t worry if they stop or not, its part and parcel of driving in Thailand and I’d have to cover any damages myself or have my insurance pay for it.

However, I’d refuse to pay for any damages to the motorbike, and I’d like to think of myself as someone who would stop, definitely so if they were hurt….

I’d like to say….“serves yourself right, you should look where you are going !”

With Police involvement, some people have mentioned that the Westerner / foreigner is always wrong. I haven’t found this to be true. They do take advantage of weakness, however, by sticking to your guns and remaining polite I’ve experienced having been dealt with favorably (when in a car-car accident).

I know Thai’s who have been hit by motorcyclists and there is always an attempt by the motorcyclist to get money from the car driver. Foreigners are not solely outlined for this attempt – But, as it’s not our country, as some of us don’t fully understand our rights or fear for our safety or the consequences given such situations they may feel the pressure a little more that the Thai’s in a similar position and cave in.

I think there's more to the title of this thread.

Basically, if you hit a car, you've probably not hurt anyone and you have the same chance of escape (hit n run) as the other driver. However, hitting a bike is different. Ok, the bike can speed off if he hits you, but that's not what this is about. It's about hitting bikes and stopping or not.

Let's face it, if you hit a bike, there's a good chance you've hurt someone, maybe seriously. Driving off is a way out and may avoid all kinds of injury claims. Poor low-class people can't do much even if they do catch you. Drive off before you get caught!?

I'm sorry, but that's a big reason why people may drive off after hitting a bike; fear of being held responsible for injury, maybe even death.

I ride bikes and drive my car in BKK. There'd be much more chance of me riding away after hitting a car than driving off after hitting a bike.

Late for an important meeting? Baloney.

Only have 2nd class insurance? Baloney.

If you think responding appropriately, which I think is to investigate and to render aid at the very least, is determined upon economic considerations such as a meeting and the limits of your chosen insurance coverage, then we definitely do not see eye to eye.

I have to wonder if your response would be any different if you could see that the rider was a farang. Because, I don't think that should matter.

I am guessing that your response was dictated largely by your conscience and your moral values.

I offer three such incidents.

A friend (former TV member) hit a motorbike while turning left, young man looked ok so he drove home. Within an hour police arrived, he was arrested, handcuffed and put in the cells until his lawyer sorted it out, the 'Fine' was about 5,000 Baht maybe less if I recall.

I was driving home which involved a right turn against traffic, a motorbike behind tried to overtake on my right but managed to brake and stop before hitting my car as I made the turn. Note - the bike did not touch my car in any way but managed to fall over. As I was not involed as it were I continued home - I noticed that a 'helpful' motorbike taxi followed me (all of 70 metres) and stood outside my house pointing. The biker turn up ranting and raving, at which point a Thai neighbour's wife appeared (he is some big shot police man) and in no uncertain terms told the biker to F&$% Off otherwise she would call the police to look at their documents and check them for drugs. Problem went away.

Another day, mid afternoon nice weather, a bike side swiped me as I turned into the carpark of a bank, the bike was speeding, in the wrong lane, ignoring my turn signal and the fact I was driving slowly. As I stopped he picked up the bike and fled. That was 8,000 Baht in paint etc. In that last case I was happy with the outcome as I don't think the insurance was in place at the time.

If it's easy to see you are a farang driver and there are enough witnesses to say 'you were at fault' - you are best not to make the situation worst by running away - if/went caught will you deny being there? When you hear such reports on the Thai TV news of the driver fled the scene - what do you think of the driver concerned?