Enjoy?

Nongwahyay

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "<deleted>" years ago.... :o

Umm, it wasn't the Americans that stood between the Germans and England after Dunkirk. It was Canada. For an entire year from 1940-1941, Britain was totally dependent upon Canada for food, fuel and war material. It was the Canadian army deployed along the English channel that gave the British army time to regroup and refit. It was Canada that provided the aircraft and a lot of the pilots for the Battle of Britain. The Commonwealth training program in Canada was delivering Australian, Canadian, South African and New Zealand air crew that kept the RAF flying. So basically, the expressions should be more like Sorry or eh.

It was Canada that provided the aircraft and a lot of the pilots for the Battle of Britain.

http://www.taphilo.com/history/WWII/BofBamericanpilots.shtml

Some of the Canadian Air Force and RAF pilots at that time were volunteers from the U.S.A. who flew in the Battle of Britain. A few gave their lives to protect our British brothers. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

It was Canada that provided the aircraft and a lot of the pilots for the Battle of Britain.

Some of the Canadian Air Force and RAF pilots at that time were volunteers from the U.S.A. who flew in the Battle of Britain. A few gave their lives to protect our British brothers. :o

Your link indicates 10 American pilots but also there were 10 Irish, 13 French, 20 south Africans, 21 Australians, 29 Belgians, 84 Czechoslovakians, 86 Canadians, 98 new Zealanders, and 139 Poles that fought in the Battle of Britain

The Canadians showing in the RAF do not reflect the RCAF aircrews that retained Canadian designation. :D I'm impressed by the number of Poles and New Zealanders.

Maybe the English should express their thanks by using more Polish expressions :D

Maybe the English should express their thanks by using more Polish expressions :D

Some thanks. I think the Brits knew Poland was gonna get strafed many moons before the Poles knew what hit them. Same thing when the Soviets slaughtered their hierarchy on the backside. Then again, the Brits did open their doors for all kinds of new job opportunities via the EU, albeit it 50 years after the fact. I'd rather have kielbasa than blood pudding any day anyway. But I digress.

Some of the Canadian Air Force and RAF pilots at that time were volunteers from the U.S.A. who flew in the Battle of Britain. A few gave their lives to protect our British brothers. :D

Your link indicates 10 American pilots but also there were 10 Irish, 13 French, 20 south Africans, 21 Australians, 29 Belgians, 84 Czechoslovakians, 86 Canadians, 98 new Zealanders, and 139 Poles that fought in the Battle of Britain

The Canadians showing in the RAF do not reflect the RCAF aircrews that retained Canadian designation. :D I'm impressed by the number of Poles and New Zealanders.

Eagle Squadrons

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Eagle Squadrons were fighter squadrons of the Royal Air Force formed during World War II with volunteer pilots from the United States. While many US recruits simply crossed the border and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force to learn to fly and fight, many of the early recruits had originally come to Europe to fight for Finland against the Soviets in the Winter War.

Eagle Squadron 133 BadgeCharles Sweeny, a well-heeled socialite and businessman living in London, began recruiting American citizens to fight as a US volunteer detachment in the French Air force, echoing the Lafayette Escadrille of the Great War. With the fall of France a dozen of these recruits joined the RAF. Sweeny's efforts were also co-ordinated in Canada by World War I air ace Billy Bishop and with artist Clayton Knight who formed the Clayton Knight Committee, who, by the time the USA entered the war in December 1941, had processed and approved 6,700 applications from Americans to join the RCAF or RAF.

As was the case with the Layfayette Escadrille, many more U.S. citizens served with regular Royal Air Force squadrons (most often as sergeant-pilots in the RCAF) than in the officially designated units.

You seem to be forgetting something like 7,000 more a little later in the war. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Get over it. Have you never written a sentence in English with an implied, understood ending? Surely you have [written such a sentence]. He was discussing the weather, saying how enjoyable it was in Hua Hin at that time of year. He completes it with a single-word imperative sentence. Enjoy! Surely you can interpret context. Enjoy the weather there, enjoy your vacation at the beach.

You might direct your concern at the 7,000 trillion-dollar financial mess, or the Thai political crisis, or the suffering in Darfur. I think when the angels were celebrating, they merely yelled, "Rejoice!"

Get over it. Have you never written a sentence in English with an implied, understood ending? Surely you have [written such a sentence]. He was discussing the weather, saying how enjoyable it was in Hua Hin at that time of year. He completes it with a single-word imperative sentence. Enjoy! Surely you can interpret context. Enjoy the weather there, enjoy your vacation at the beach.

You might direct your concern at the 7,000 trillion-dollar financial mess, or the Thai political crisis, or the suffering in Darfur. I think when the angels were celebrating, they merely yelled, "Rejoice!"

I can indeed interpret the context..... but I will simply never cease to maintain, that it´s wrong to use the word in this fashion!!!! It´s WRONG WRONG WRONG....... I agree that languages develop... maybe it will become an accepted expression in the future ... but it will come about because "hignoramuses" misuse the word repeatedly. Let others discuss the global, financial meltdown.... my voice will never be heard, if I say anything..... so I don´t bother commenting.... :o

No, I'm pretty sure that was a mistranslation, and they really said, "Enjoy!".

Hey you are a teacher, is that wrong to put the period after the quotation marks?

If you are asking me, I do not know. When I ended a sentence in post#166 that ended with an imperative exclamation (..."Rejoice!"), I did not add a period. I do not know. If the main sentence is simply declarative and it ends by quoting an exclamation, should a period end the entire sentence? That is either tricky or picky. British and American standard usages differ in the punctuation after a quote, I think.

I can indeed interpret the context..... but I will simply never cease to maintain, that it´s wrong to use the word in this fashion!!!! It´s WRONG WRONG WRONG....... I agree that languages develop... maybe it will become an accepted expression in the future ... but it will come about because "hignoramuses" misuse the word repeatedly. Let others discuss the global, financial meltdown.... my voice will never be heard, if I say anything..... so I don´t bother commenting.... :o

Fine. I apologize if I was too harsh on you. If you think it is wrong, then you think it is wrong. The phrase may just be a passing fad.

I can indeed interpret the context..... but I will simply never cease to maintain, that it´s wrong to use the word in this fashion!!!! It´s WRONG WRONG WRONG....... I agree that languages develop... maybe it will become an accepted expression in the future ... but it will come about because "hignoramuses" misuse the word repeatedly. Let others discuss the global, financial meltdown.... my voice will never be heard, if I say anything..... so I don´t bother commenting.... :D

Grow up! I am American and I do not like this expresion, but if it is in common useage, it pretty much transends being "wrong".

I like a lot of British slang and expressions and there are others that I find revolting, but I don't have a hissy fit about the ones that I don't enjoy. :o

Hey you are a teacher, is that wrong to put the period after the quotation marks?

In England I was taught that it is correct to put the full stop after the quotation marks.

I use 'a ton' of this hateful hollywood slang myself- it's become ubiquitous, but you should blame Hollywood not our individual American cousins.

Laters :o

EDIT TO SAY: I've always used the term 'Yank'- I didn't know it offended Americans. I apologise and will stop immediately,

Edited by Slip

EDIT TO SAY: I've always used the term 'Yank'- I didn't know it offended Americans. I apologise and will stop immediately,

It only bothers Americans from the Deep South who call themselves Confederates and want to separate from the rest of the country and make all racial minorities slaves.

I would not worry too much about offending them! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

In England I was taught that it is correct to put the full stop after the quotation marks.

Slip, that is the punctuation convention to which I was referring, and could not find. We put our period before the closing quotation mark. I think we usually do not put a period after etc. I just wasn't sure about the imperative single word, enjoy, if it carries an exclamation within the quote, but is the end of a declarative sentence. Comprende? Capiche?

Even folks in the Old Confederacy who say y'all would prefer being called Yank rather than Seppo.

Slip, that is the punctuation convention to which I was referring, and could not find. We put our period before the closing quotation mark. I think we usually do not put a period after etc. I just wasn't sure about the imperative single word, enjoy, if it carries an exclamation within the quote, but is the end of a declarative sentence. Comprende? Capiche?

Even folks in the Old Confederacy who say y'all would prefer being called Yank rather than Seppo.

Thought you put a sanitary towel on a period..?? :o

It gets funny, or annoying, when expressions get mangled and re-defined. "Pushing the envelope" has become another way to say "pushing your luck." See Tom Wolf's 'The Right Stuff' for the original usage of the phrase.

"Uptight" originated in ghetto slang as meaning in close confidence with someone.

Q: can you trust him?

A: man, we're uptight

The backpackers say "I want a place to chill" but it could mean they want a quiet place away from it all or a place to make the scene with people they consider cool. When a word could mean anything it really means nothing, and "cool" is a great example.

I've seen executive types in the US deliberately slaughter the language and their toadies will then use the term in emulation of the Most High. For example I knew one corporate genius who would say something like "I suspicion that the market will broaden" and his boot-licks will then use 'suspicion' as a verb (unfortunately my ex-wife was one of them, it happened toward the end of out time together so I never pointed out that it if she had an accent it would make her sound like an ESL student, but lacking that she just sounded like an idiot).

My pet peeve is "all the best." It's used by the most insincere people. Even more annoying than "have a good one."

I don't know if this is just a US thing or it's happening everywhere, but in the US there are a lot of people who claim to have college degrees and advanced degrees. Perhaps they are telling the truth, but there's something wrong: they don't seem very smart.

I have a friend who got his MBA degree and said the only thing he got out of it is he can now write a good memo. I asked him a few years later if he felt the same way, and he said he takes it back -- he still can't write a good memo.

It only bothers Americans from the Deep South who call themselves Confederates and want to separate from the rest of the country and make all racial minorities slaves.

I would not worry too much about offending them! :o

Are you referring to the late great unpleasantness (the war of northern aggression)? Seriously, Yankee does have a different and negative meaning in the south but southerners do not that call themselves confederates these days, or even rebels. BTW, did General Sherman really need to burn Atlanta and large swaths of the south after victory? It was kind of like a US Nagasaki, overkill.

Edited by Jingthing