Samak Found Guilty By Court, Must Resign

george

So Thaksin called and offered advice. Big deal. "If" he is helping to bankroll the party perhaps his opinion might be important. His political background and experience would certainly carry some weight.

Its not uncommon for past leaders in western democracies to voice an opinion on who might be best to lead their party.

The fact that Thaksin is on the run for tax evasion does not make his advice any less credible. If they locked up every crooked politician in Thailand there wouldn't be anyone to run the country. Ultimately it will be up to the coallition to elect a leader of their choosing.

And of course Thaksins brother in law has as much right to nominate as anyone else. I doubt anyone here would accept being barred from a job because of something their brother in law did as fair.

The discussion in this forum seems to have degenerated to a childish level of late with sniggers and sneers making up the bulk of some posters content.

what is his qualification other than he is thaksins' brother-in-law?

many of the PPP members are related to the banned TRT members, are they qualified to run a government? i won't even trust them to run a kinder garten...

What "other" qualification??? to be brother-in-law is more than enough....

yeah, that's why we are going crazy here! :o

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of libel cases, what happened to the libel case against Somkiat Pongpaibool. Did that ever happen or is it scheduled?

Then I think he had a libel case against Karul (of flying ninja kick fame).

Might as well sort them all out I suppose.

Samak's libel case was from inferring that deputy BKK governor received a BMW as a kickback. I can't remember though if he named him or not. Can it be libel if you don't name the person?

If you read the Law, even if what you say is True. It is still deformation of Caracter. So as they say be carefull.

I love Thailand but corruption here for everyone is The Way of life.

At least in this tread everyone have stopped blaming the Isan people.

PPP Samak, Thak Corrupt What ever! PAD no difference.

The present government has not governed. The leader activly supports fugitives enough said.

England My mother land at the moment should do the right thing and get it over with.

70 Billion he has, and he said he would help people in the poor parts of Thailand, Take it from the Banks and give it to them.

Then he can go where he likes (I.E. Go for** and Multi***)

So Thaksin called and offered advice. Big deal. "If" he is helping to bankroll the party perhaps his opinion might be important. His political background and experience would certainly carry some weight.

Its not uncommon for past leaders in western democracies to voice an opinion on who might be best to lead their party.

The fact that Thaksin is on the run for tax evasion does not make his advice any less credible. If they locked up every crooked politician in Thailand there wouldn't be anyone to run the country. Ultimately it will be up to the coallition to elect a leader of their choosing.

And of course Thaksins brother in law has as much right to nominate as anyone else. I doubt anyone here would accept being barred from a job because of something their brother in law did as fair.

The discussion in this forum seems to have degenerated to a childish level of late with sniggers and sneers making up the bulk of some posters content.

many of the PPP members are related to the banned TRT members, are they qualified to run a government? i won't even trust them to run a kinder garten...

You will have to find his qualifications yourself I am afraid. And despite your lack of trust in him running a kindergarden, it will be up to the government of Thailand to decide who might be PM. Thats just the way democracy works wheather you like it or not.

Edited by ando

Talking of libel cases, what happened to the libel case against Somkiat Pongpaibool. Did that ever happen or is it scheduled?

Samak's libel case was from inferring that deputy BKK governor received a BMW as a kickback. I can't remember though if he named him or not. Can it be libel if you don't name the person?

If you read the Law, even if what you say is True. It is still deformation of Caracter. So as they say be carefull.

The present government has not governed. The leader activly supports fugitives enough said.

England My mother land at the moment should do the right thing and get it over with.

70 Billion he has, and he said he would help people in the poor parts of Thailand, Take it from the Banks and give it to them.

Where is PAD corrupt???

These 70 billion are not enough....there is another case at court (mobile phone thing) with another 60 or 70 billions.

And what about the airport?

I should think the team at the United Nations are getting used to this. I trust the BBC are setting up their interview room and getting the archive tapes out already.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/1115088028/

I reckon Samak will be in these UN facilities a fair amount, easing his nerves. I suggest he books a stall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/1113186399/

I just can't believe what is going on here. I just can't believe it.

You will have to find his qualifications yourself I am afraid. And despite your lack of trust in him running a kindergarden, it will be up to the government of Thailand to decide who might be PM. Thats just the way democracy works wheather you like it or not.

The words Thailand, Democracy and works in the same paragraph!

:o:D:D:D:D

Good one.

Edited by globalj

Anupong backs the idea of a national government

Army chief General Anupong Paochinda on Thursday expressed his support for the formation of a national government in order to overcome the political turmoil.

Anupong conceded that the idea migth be difficult to materialise unless parties concerned abandoned their partisan interests.

The trouble will persist if political parties don't make sacrifices, he said.

He said he anticipates that the naming of the next prime minister would be crucial on whether the country could achieve a conflict resolution.

The Nation

Really. Whats politics got to do with the army? Oh yea, this is Thailand where elected governments are regularly deposed under deadly force of arms by the army so it makes it OK to consider the army as a valid political player. Democracy in Thailand will never progress or be stable while the army is not under the control of the people via a democratically elected government.

As the Economist states, "The PAD's leaders are neither liberals nor democrats. A gruesome bunch of reactionary businessmen, generals and aristocrats, they demand not fresh elections, which they would lose, but a return to old-fashioned authoritarian rule, with a mostly appointed parliament and powers for the army to step in when it chooses."

Samak might be cooking a foul stew, but anything beats having animals like the PAD involved in government!

Good one.

Obviously a comment to the best level of your intelligence. mmmm.....

democracy is good but also bad when you abuse it.

Where is PAD corrupt???

These 70 billion are not enough....there is another case at court (mobile phone thing) with another 60 or 70 billions.

Let the courts do their job. Its the only way forward. Whatever the outcomes and whoever the casualties the rule of law must be respected in a democracy.

Overthrowing governments via street protests and army coups does nothing to progress the country. After something like 18 military coups in the past 60 years without much progress, its time for Thailand to move into the 21st century and adopt true democracy.

Good one.

:(:D

didn't you read (posted 100 times) "this democratic elected government". :P:burp:

Where is PAD corrupt???

Let the courts do their job. Its the only way forward. Whatever the outcomes and whoever the casualties the rule of law must be respected in a democracy.

Overthrowing governments via street protests and army coups does nothing to progress the country. After something like 18 military coups in the past 60 years without much progress, its time for Thailand to move into the 21st century and adopt true democracy.

Actually PAD wants the rule of law, for example that criminals with red passport don't decide on the Premier position or that criminals who are involved in vote buying don't sit in the government. Or that criminals don't change the laws, etc etc etc

democracy is good but also bad when you abuse it.

That's why we have laws and a legal system to deal with people who step outside the law. Granted its not a perfect system but its much better than mob rule on the streets or handing power to the army and their minority elite backers via a coup.

All developed western democracies have gone through this stage of evolution decades and centuries ago. The political situation in Thailand right now is akin to an adolescent growing up and learning how to behave. And like adolescents they will discard the example and experiences of more mature democracies and experiment with the process themselves. One step backwards and two steps forward. Right now Thailand is teetering on the edge of one of those backwards steps.

Where is PAD corrupt???

Actually PAD wants the rule of law, for example that criminals with red passport don't decide on the Premier position or that criminals who are involved in vote buying don't sit in the government. Or that criminals don't change the laws, etc etc etc

Well its not up to PAD to deliver legal judgements. That's what the courts are for.

:(:o:D :D

to be a criminal on the run doesn't make someone less credible :D :D

Maybe they can call Gary Glitter and ask him for advise?

Well.

But if the criminals are those in power and hence able to change laws around so they are no longer criminal? Then the courts can't do jack.

PAD points these things out and is so far pretty successful keeping the ruling criminals otherwise occupied so their "law changing" job gets delayed - hopefully long enough so the courts CAN do tgheir job.

And after that, when all is sane again (politically) the courts will have to do their job on PAD.

To be honest, i do NOT think the PAD guys will all soon be on planes to UK and apply for political asylum :o

Regards.....

Thanh

Where is PAD corrupt???

Well its not up to PAD to deliver legal judgements. That's what the courts are for.

YES unfortunately the PPP does not agree with that fact, so they would have been successful by changing all the laws in their way. Bad enough that they reinstalled a minister who broke the law and now they try the same with the Premier.

If that system would work, PAD would go home.

I don't think PAD has ever suggested that they should be involved in government. What they are saying is that *this one sucks* :-)

No. That is not right at all. What PAD is saying is that they will create chaos in the country until their minority gets its way of destroying the democratically elected government. While PAD doesn't have the balls to front up a political party to contest democratic elections (simply because they have relatively little support on a national scale), they are certainly getting involved in government by their attempts to overthrow this elected government and install a virtual dictatorial style ruling party.

I don't think PAD has ever suggested that they should be involved in government. What they are saying is that *this one sucks* :-)

No. That is not right at all. What PAD is saying is that they will create chaos in the country until their minority gets its way of destroying the democratically elected government. While PAD doesn't have the balls to front up a political party to contest democratic elections (simply because they have relatively little support on a national scale), they are certainly getting involved in government by their attempts to overthrow this elected government and install a virtual dictatorial style ruling party.

This government came by massive vote buying into power and not by fair elections. So this government is your "virtual dictatorial style ruling party."

Well.

But if the criminals are those in power and hence able to change laws around so they are no longer criminal? Then the courts can't do jack.

PAD points these things out and is so far pretty successful keeping the ruling criminals otherwise occupied so their "law changing" job gets delayed - hopefully long enough so the courts CAN do tgheir job.

And after that, when all is sane again (politically) the courts will have to do their job on PAD.

To be honest, i do NOT think the PAD guys will all soon be on planes to UK and apply for political asylum :o

Regards.....

Thanh

Street protests do not stop the government from changing laws. That is what the opposition and the senate are for. The courts also have a say in what is legal or not. While street protesters have the opportunity to put their point of view to the public they do not have any legal authority or power to change, or stop a change in the law. PAD has assumed the public mantle of the government opposition while the Democrats sit idly by on the sidelines hoping to snatch political power in the aftermath. A good government needs a strong opposition (political party) and that is something lacking in Thailand.

This government came by massive vote buying into power and not by fair elections. So this government is your "virtual dictatorial style ruling party."

"Massive vote buying". If you have proof of this accusation you should report it to the EC. To date there are only a few incidents under investigation and adjudication.

Or perhaps it might be just your opinion based on hearsay with no actual proof?

This government came by massive vote buying into power and not by fair elections.

Like those before it.

The man (Samak) is a genius. Fighting all obstacles before him and coming back again and again. Hero! Nobody should accuse him of being a clown. His scope of talent is everywhere to be seen, such as this article in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/08/thailand.thai

Pigs' legs in Coca-Cola :o

Ingredients (serves five):

Five pig legs

Four bottles of Coca-Cola

Three tablespoons salt

Fish sauce

Garlic, chopped

See-uan (a sweet, dark sauce)

Four to five cinnamon sticks

Coriander root

Ground pepper

Five tablespoons "pongpalo" powder

Shitake mushrooms

Method:

Place the pig legs in a large pot. Pour over the Coca-Cola and bring to the boil. Add the coriander root, garlic, pepper, salt, fish sauce, "pongpalo" and cinnamon sticks.

Add sufficient water to cover. Cut the stalks off the Shitake mushrooms and add hot water to soften. Then add to the main pot. Bring to boil and simmer or at least three hours. Make sweet sauce with see-uan. Serve chilli and vinegar sauce.

________________________________________________________________________________

Which poor pig is running around with only 3 legs???? :D

Edited by Sunderland

Well.

Regards.....

Thanh

Who in the government is a criminal? Please provide proof of the court case and criminal verdicts of any names you provide.

Well.

Regards.....

Thanh

Who in the government is a criminal? Please provide proof of the court case and criminal verdicts of any names you provide.

The guy who told them all which way to vote this morning, perhaps...?

"Massive vote buying". If you have proof of this accusation you should report it to the EC. To date there are only a few incidents under investigation and adjudication.

Or perhaps it might be just your opinion based on hearsay with no actual proof?

I would like to see the proof also. People supporting PAD keep saying this. I think they should show us the proof or find a better argument.

Well.

Regards.....

Thanh

The guy who told them all which way to vote this morning, perhaps...?

Who in the current government would that be?