Thai Consulate Hull, England

This is more of a question than a separate topic, about the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull, England.

The Consulate has the reputation of being a relatively hassle-free place to get your non-immigrant 'O' visas (or others), compared with London. I've been there before myself and was in and out within 30 minutes.

They have a website that currently appears to be 'down' or out of service. So I have a question for any Brits who have been to the Consulate recently. Previously (2 years ago) the visas issued at Hull were simply a rough-looking rubber stamped job that filled one page of your passport. Subsequently I have had a non-immigrant 'O' from KL, which was a 'proper' visa with hologram, etc. The rubber stamp visas do cause some delays at the airpost and elicit close scrutiny from immigration, so a paper stick-on visa is preferable (for me anyway).

Does anybody know if the Hull Consulate have thrown away their rubber stamp and obtained a supply of 'proper' visas to stick in your passports? I'm back to the UK for Christmas and will take the opportunity to renew my visa if they do. If not, have to take a detour to KL. I would ask them directly, but their site has been dead for the last 2 days.

I got my passport back from Hull yesterday morning after applying for my third one year visa (non immagrant type 'O'). With Hull it is so simple and ive never had a problem and they returned my passport back the following day, but yes it is still the rubber stamp in the passport...

When I went through last year I was told by the consulate that Glasgow does not issue visa's

Glasgow only issue visas by mail - perhaps that was the problem. Got my last two non-Bs from Glasgow: sorted within a week (sent passport recorded, with recorded return envelope). Good service.

Posted in March 2007:

Hello to you all,

I would just like to let you know that the Royal Thai Consulate at Liverpool is open 5 days a week 9-5, the phones are answered 10-12 & 2-4. The people at Liverpool are perfectly friendly and very accommodating (sometimes too accommodating). If you should need any information regarding visas, please call as the Consulate follows the guidelines stated by the Embassy.

I know this because I work for the Consulate and contrary to an old email on this site, not once have I experienced anyone complain about any us being 'not easy to deal with' (ok, there might have been one awkward customer once!). We have many repeat visitors to the Consulate and although it is a postal service, we never turn anyone away should they arrive on our doorstep.

If you should need help regarding visas, please feel free to call 0151 255 0504. For application forms please download from royalthaiconsul.com

Looking forward to being of assistance in the future.

What you on about...who gives a sh*t if its a rubber stamp or a holographic kryptonited metal plaque...same visa different style.... jeez :o

I have probably had more rubber stamps from Hull than most and never once had a delay, scrutiny, second glance, question etc. about their method going back a lot of years....

Edited by dekka007

sorry if off topic a bit , but my stamped o visa from hull , does not run out till December this year , but i am going back to England on Friday , while i am in England i will be getting a new passport , as it is down to under 6 months before it runs out ,

now here's the question , can i get a new one year o visa from hull , re in my new passport, before my old one year o visa runs out?

What you on about...who gives a sh*t if its a rubber stamp or a holographic kryptonited metal plaque...same visa different style.... jeez :D

I have probably had more rubber stamps from Hull than most and never once had a delay, scrutiny, second glance, question etc. about their method going back a lot of years....

So what's your problem mate? Sorry to upset you! Old Asia hand and all that. I asked a perfectly valid question and get short-tempered ridicule from you :o , okay so a few minor delays at immigration - but these were my experiences so I would thank you (and others like you) no to imply I'm a liar just because your experiences might have been different.

So why do I think a printed 'stick in' visa might be better? Firstly, this is 2008 and most countries of the world have given up on smeared rubber stamps with illegible hand-written details, because they can be easily forged and contain insufficient detail. The printed visas (even India has been using these for years) contain a type of barcode that can be scanned quickly and enter your details into the immigration computer. Much less hassle. Finally, I happen to think they're preferable, and if that is my opinion then I'm perfectly entitled to it - without being spoken down to by a few of the sex tourists here. The moderator's contribution was welcome at least, and my question has been answered and the bottom line seems to be this:

Only Thai Embassies overseas issue printed visas. Consulates still use the older and archaic rubber stamps. So if you want a printed visa - go to London. If you really don't care - go to any of the Consulates. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
What you on about...who gives a sh*t if its a rubber stamp or a holographic kryptonited metal plaque...same visa different style.... jeez :D

So what's your problem mate? Sorry to upset you! Old Asia hand and all that. I asked a perfectly valid question and get short-tempered ridicule from you :o , okay so a few minor delays at immigration - but these were my experiences so I would thank you (and others like you) no to imply I'm a liar just because your experiences might have been different.

So why do I think a printed 'stick in' visa might be better? Firstly, this is 2008 and most countries of the world have given up on smeared rubber stamps with illegible hand-written details, because they can be easily forged and contain insufficient detail. The printed visas (even India has been using these for years) contain a type of barcode that can be scanned quickly and enter your details into the immigration computer. Much less hassle. Finally, I happen to think they're preferable, and if that is my opinion then I'm perfectly entitled to it - without being spoken down to by a few of the sex tourists here. The moderator's contribution was welcome at least, and my question has been answered and the bottom line seems to be this:

Only Thai Embassies overseas issue printed visas. Consulates still use the older and archaic rubber stamps. So if you want a printed visa - go to London. If you really don't care - go to any of the Consulates. Cheers.

Please dont start generalising and include all of us as sex tourists I happen to be happily married to a thai of 20 yrs living in Thailand. I have used the Hull consulate for the last 2 years and drive down there and apply there and then. I find them extremely good and efficient 15 minutes Max. All the consulates in UK use the red Royal Thai stamps. I am in and out of Thailand every month and have never had any delay whatsoever because of the stamp. They scan my passport bar code and do the iris check and thats it.