Aussie Customs - Taking In Meds

lolex

Hi, Customs seem to be getting more and more stupid/paranoid/nit-picking etc.

Family of my Mate's thai wife have given me a bunch of Meds to take back for her... all legitimate stuff ... but I think I read somewhere about restrictions... and after getting a full search last year.... I just want to be on the safe-side of things.

Here's what I've been asked to take....

5 packs X 10 Bisolvon (anti -phlegm / mucus)

Tylenol 1 pack x 500

Actifed 10 X 12 Tablets

Cettec 10 X 10 anti - rhinitis

Amoxycillin 6 X 10 anti-biotics

Maybe it is just prescription drugs that are 'banned' ie amoxycillin, but I am not sure...

Anybody know what is OK and what is not OK???

As sibeymai says ,prescription drugs must be accompanied by the prescribing physicians documentation.

Over the counter pharmacuticals for personal use usually dont attract attention but 700 tablets might.

The Actifed and other preparations containing pseudoephedrine are now restricted so they might cause a problem with customs.

I believe prescription drugs are allowed provided you have the appropriate documentation from the prescribing doctor and they are for personal use (ie. not commercial quantities).

I travell in and out of OZ every 3 weeks no problem with prescription drugs iam a type 2 diabetic so i normally take a bag full got stopped once did not even open bag told him i had medication as i was a type 2 diabetic no problem

Hi, Customs seem to be getting more and more stupid/paranoid/nit-picking etc.

Family of my Mate's thai wife have given me a bunch of Meds to take back for her... all legitimate stuff ... but I think I read somewhere about restrictions... and after getting a full search last year.... I just want to be on the safe-side of things.

Here's what I've been asked to take....

5 packs X 10 Bisolvon (anti -phlegm / mucus)

Tylenol 1 pack x 500

Actifed 10 X 12 Tablets

Cettec 10 X 10 anti - rhinitis

Amoxycillin 6 X 10 anti-biotics

Maybe it is just prescription drugs that are 'banned' ie amoxycillin, but I am not sure...

Anybody know what is OK and what is not OK???

Every time I travel with my medications I have a letter and script from my doctor.

From the Australian customs website: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4369#e1053

Antibiotics (restricted import) - this would cover the Amoxycillin

Description:

Traditional antibiotics such as penicillin and tetracyclines as well as other substances including the sulpha drugs, nitrofurazones, dapsone and rifampicin. Anti-viral medicaments are not antibiotics.

Exemption:

You do not need a permit to import antibiotics where:

• you are a passenger on a ship or aircraft with no more than three months supply (at maximum recommended dosage) for your personal use, or that of a relative, and you have the antibiotics on your person or in your accompanied baggage; or
  • you are a passenger on a ship or aircraft with no more than three months supply (at maximum recommended dosage) for an animal under your care travelling on the same ship or aircraft.
  • you are a member of group visiting Australia to participate in a national or international sporting event and the antibiotics are to be used for the treatment of a member of the group or an animal imported and in the care of the group

Description:

Traditional antibiotics such as penicillin and tetracyclines as well as other substances including the sulpha drugs, nitrofurazones, dapsone and rifampicin. Anti-viral medicaments are not antibiotics.

Exemption:

You do not need a permit to import antibiotics where:

• you are a passenger on a ship or aircraft with no more than three months supply (at maximum recommended dosage) for your personal use, or that of a relative, and you have the antibiotics on your person or in your accompanied baggage; or
  • you are a passenger on a ship or aircraft with no more than three months supply (at maximum recommended dosage) for an animal under your care travelling on the same ship or aircraft.
  • you are a member of group visiting Australia to participate in a national or international sporting event and the antibiotics are to be used for the treatment of a member of the group or an animal imported and in the care of the group

Drugs and narcotics (restricted import)

Description:

Drugs being chemicals and compounds as listed in Schedule 4 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations. This includes

• isomers or mixture of isomers of a controlled chemicals or compounds;
  • a derivative of a controlled chemical or compound, including isomers and mixtures of isomers;
  • substances or things that contain controlled chemical/s or compound/s, including isomers and mixtures of isomers, and derivatives; or
  • other chemicals and compounds that are an immediate precursor to a controlled chemical or compound.

Exemption Passengers arriving on board a ship or aircraft do not need a permit if:

• the drug is required for their own medical treatment or the treatment of another passenger or animal under their care; AND
  • has been prescribed by a medical practitioner or veterinarian and the original prescription is presented upon arrival; AND
  • the amount of drug/s does not exceed three (3) months supply at the maximum prescribed dosage.

If the prescription is not in English, then a version translated into English must also be presented. The exemption only applies to drugs carried in the passenger's accompanied baggage.

Passengers aged 18 years or more do not need a permit to import kava if:

• the kava is in either root or dried form;
  • the amount of kava does not exceed 2 kilograms; and
  • the kava is carried in the passenger's accompanied baggage.

These exemptions apply only to passengers. Any amount of controlled drugs imported by other means such as post or air cargo require a permit.

I believe prescription drugs are allowed provided you have the appropriate documentation from the prescribing doctor and they are for personal use (ie. not commercial quantities).

I travell in and out of OZ every 3 weeks no problem with prescription drugs iam a type 2 diabetic so i normally take a bag full got stopped once did not even open bag told him i had medication as i was a type 2 diabetic no problem

Being a type 2 diabetic, I too carry my meds.

Once going into MEL from AKL, a female customs officer saw my one months supply of meds.

They were in their original packs with my name and sript drtails, inc my doc's name.

She took all of them to be tested, swabbed my bag.

Her reasoning was, there may be illicit drugs mixed in.

Could be possible, but took 30 mins, psssssst me orf completely.

Did not realise I looke3d like a drug courier.

All clear was given, what a hassle.

I do watch BORDER PATROL (Oz TV Show) too, now have sympathy for many of OZ Customs innocent, harrassed victims.