Thailand Hide Away The Truth

tezzainoz

Well here we go again, The Thai censure’s believ no one outside Thailand knows what happens here.

The years Bangkok International Film Festival banned a Japannese film that was on the list called “Children of the Dark”. that was selected by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the old right hand not agreeing with the left hand

The film tells the story of a journalist who come to Bangkok to try and help young Thai boys and girls from being drawn into child prostitution. (this of coarse never happens in Thailand), the movie goes on to show that sex tourists, both Japanese and Western, prey on the weaknesses of a less developed to enable this to happen

http://www.kviff.com/en/film-detail/2340--...en-of-the-dark/

The idea behind film was first put together in 2007, when the Japanese producer while going through the proper prosess applying for film in Bangkok was denied permission, with the normal Thai curruption back door deals where done and “Children of the Dark” was shot in Thailand anyway.

It was chosen as a Thai Made Film, and the Thai turist office wanted to show how is perceived by foreigners, but the Film Office quickly denied a permit for it to be screened here. So is it possible to make something not exist by pretending that it does not exist.

One journalist said “ It's strange, even comical, to blindfold ourselves when all other eyes are wide open”.

I fully agree - it's another Persepolis.

However, when you think about it, it would be ironic if TAT did allow a film to be screened in a showcase exhibition that puts Thailand in a poor light for tourists, and I am sure many would be tourists are put off because of Thailand's sex trade reputation. After all TAT is primarily financed to promote the Thai tourism industry, not the quality of the film industry. If you were in charge what would you do?

You seem to miss the point

It was TAT that put forward the film for being part of the awards

This is what makes this case so unusual

From the small parts I have seen, the script lays the blame at the doorstep of foreign countries for this problem

However, when you think about it, it would be ironic if TAT did allow a film to be screened in a showcase exhibition that puts Thailand in a poor light for tourists, and I am sure many would be tourists are put off because of Thailand's sex trade reputation. After all TAT is primarily financed to promote the Thai tourism industry, not the quality of the film industry. If you were in charge what would you do?

Right. I had someone on the phone recently who said she wouldn't go to Thailand because of the sleaze.

Thank you journalists for perpetuating the same old same old.

Well, a film festival whose content is controlled by a tourism authority is never going to get any serious respect from the international film community, and that hurts the festivals options in the future when it comes to the films it gets the right to premiere. Not surprising, but unfortunate.

Right. I had someone on the phone recently who said she wouldn't go to Thailand because of the sleaze.

All the talk about Thailand really is aload of BS. Leaving Asia apart prostitution is rife in most European countries. To name a few Holland, France, Germany and even dear old England. I saw a documentary on BBC not too long ago which highlighted the forced prostitution of women from the Eastern block countries. Yes in London.

The worlds oldest proffesion will always be around.

Cheers, Rick

Correct indeed, eastern european prostitution and people trafficking is the curse of europe and any brits that think dear old blighty hasnt got more than its fair share of this is deluding themselves.

As for me I would rather see the open and somewhat naive practice of the worlds oldest profession as it is in thailand than the hidden and often brutal practices that are going on in europe.

As far as sweeping under the carpet is concerned I am sure that this is indeed happening but in europe it is hidden away so well that the chance to sweep under the carpet doesnt arise in the way you see in Thailand.

All the talk about Thailand really is aload of BS. Leaving Asia apart prostitution is rife in most European countries. To name a few Holland, France, Germany and even dear old England. I saw a documentary on BBC not too long ago which highlighted the forced prostitution of women from the Eastern block countries. Yes in London.

The worlds oldest proffesion will always be around.

Cheers, Rick

It's true. ECPAT, for example, has found that there are more under-18 sex workers in the USA, proportionally, than in Thailand.

Moving back on subject; if you go up to Kanchaniburi to the bridge and the museum you will find plenty there about how 16,000+ allied soliers died and 100,000 forced labourers died. Interestingly when you see the breakdown of nationalities not one Thai died during the (non-existent) occupation of the country by Japan.

Thailand has never been occupied but I do find it difficult to equate this with the fact that Japanese paratroopers took Don Muang Airport in '43. If they were invited guests why did they need to parachute in? And if the Japanese were guests why was there a Thai resistance?

The years Bangkok International Film Festival banned a Japannese film that was on the list called “Children of the Dark”. that was selected by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the old right hand not agreeing with the left hand

rrrg I would have liked to have seen that- is Thailand aspiring to be like China or what? has anyone seen any of the (allowed) festival films so far, and if so what did you think?