I Got A Bottle Smashed Over My Head

KohKarrang

I was out 2 nights ago on Khao San Rd, I'd just said goodbye to a friend and was sitting by the street finishing my beer and I was just about to grab a taxi when all of a sudden I got a hard kick to one side of my face, followed by another kick to the other side of my face, my instincts 'kicked' in and I covered my head and face with my arms but not before a beer bottle had been broken across my head - knocking me out completely.

I woke up surrounded by paramedics who were kindly wrapping my head in bandages, not a sign of the police and no angry thai men waiting for seconds...

I managed to get to a taxi and got myself home.

At no point throughout the night had I been arguing with anybody, or been in any kind of situation where I thought there might be trouble, I was simply sitting alone quietly.

My injuries are minimal, I've only got a few small cuts to my head so I'm lucky in that respect, I also get a bit dizzy when I stnd up but that's just the concussion I suppose...

I just wanted to write this for the benefit of anybody else going out around Khao San Road late at night and to offer a warning - it doesn't matter if you a being quiet and keeping yourself to yourself - you are still at risk.

There are many young Thai men hanging around, eager to impress their mates/girlfriends by outnumbering and ambushing innocent Falang enjoying themselves.

I have no idea who these guys were - never seen them before and don't want to really :o

Thanks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out 2 nights ago on Khao San Rd, I'd just said goodbye to a friend and was sitting by the street finishing my beer and I was just about to grab a taxi when all of a sudden I got a hard kick to one side of my face, followed by another kick to the other side of my face, my instincts 'kicked' in and I covered my head and face with my arms but not before a beer bottle had been broken across my head - knocking me out completely.

I woke up surrounded by paramedics who were kindly wrapping my head in bandages, not a sign of the police and no angry thai men waiting for seconds...

At no point throughout the night had I been arguing with anybody, or been in any kind of situation where I thought there might be trouble, I was simply sitting alone quietly.

My injuries are minimal, I've only got a few small cuts to my head so I'm lucky in that respect, I also get a bit dizzy when I stnd up but that's just the concussion I suppose...

I just wanted to write this for the benefit of anybody else going out around Khao San Road late at night and to offer a warning - it doesn't matter if you a being quiet and keeping yourself to yourself - you are still at risk.

There are many young Thai men hanging around, eager to impress their mates/girlfriends by outnumbering and ambushing innocent Falang enjoying themselves.

I have no idea who these guys were - never seen them before and don't want to really :D

Thanks

Ya khao san is dangerous at times,fri,sat night.So people use yaba and goofy irrational shit happens.The solution is to not go out alone.Groups of friends afford some saftey ,it goes double in pattaya :o

unforgiven - My solution is to not go out to Khao San again for a very long time, this last event has made my mind up for me, I've seen so many things happen to innocent people over the years

Thanks lomatopo - I'm going to see a doctor today as yesterday I couldn't get out of bed my head was spinning so much :o

Its weird, I have been coming to Thailand about 12 years and living here permanently for 6. I have never been in a fight or even been in a situation that had the imminent risk of becoming a fight.

Compare that to Australia where I was for 6 months and involved in 2.

Not trying to shift the blame, I think Thailand could be facing a shift towards more random violence, certainly I saw a few fights while on koh Tao between fairly hapless tourists and unstable thais.

unforgiven - My solution is to not go out to Khao San again for a very long time, this last event has made my mind up for me, I've seen so many things happen to innocent people over the years

Thanks lomatopo - I'm going to see a doctor today as yesterday I couldn't get out of bed my head was spinning so much :o

I have only been to KSR 2 or 3 times in my 8+ years coming and living in LOS. I don't go there for reasons as this and I suggest you do the same. There are many other places in BKK that are more exciting and more fun than KSR and without the dangers. I hope you feel better...

Out of interest if something like this happened to me how could I get them arrested / punished in some suitable way.

Assuming the police arrived I'd want them locking up, from other stories I have read I would expect them to merely laugh at me.

So I guess the question is how much do you need to pay them before they start doing their job ?

Out of interest if something like this happened to me how could I get them arrested / punished in some suitable way.

Assuming the police arrived I'd want them locking up, from other stories I have read I would expect them to merely laugh at me.

So I guess the question is how much do you need to pay them before they start doing their job ?

I only got a glimpse of their faces and the rest was a blur, no chance for me to know who they were, when I regained consciousness I was in such a daze and was piled immediately into a taxi! :o

I must say I'm totally disappointed in what happened, if there was a genuine problem or misunderstanding then surely it was resolvable, this was a case of them having loose limbs and no regard for my life - they could have killed me, straight kicks to my head then a half full bottle of singha over my head(it was my bottle too)

Disgraeful behaviour.

Mistaken identity id say ,all farang look the same :D ,.actually when people write "this can happen anywhere " i usually give it one of these :o .however in this case i think if you sat on the pavement in any large town/city in the uk at night some drunken tw@t could just attack you for no reason, you can read about it every monday in a uk paper, sad but true,. :D

Compare that to Australia where I was for 6 months and involved in 2.

The only trouble I ever had in Thailand (in my admittedly limited visits there) was an Aussie trying to start a barfight. :o

Sympathies and best of luck to the OP; heal fast.

Edited by Hairy

Not sure if this is the case with the OP, but the one and only time I got this kinda of treatment from a few locals was when I deserved it, quite honestly.

what did you do? :o

Well, I wasn't wearing a white shirt and bestowing the virtues of a good book to all in attendance. Usually these types of things involve one or two of the 7 deadly sins in combination from what I have seen over the years.

In my case is was Lust and Sloth. Luckily I still have my head.

Not sure if this is the case with the OP, but the one and only time I got this kinda of treatment from a few locals was when I deserved it, quite honestly.

He`started an off topic thread, Rattled a few here apparently especially that girl with the split personality profile

I have no idea who these guys were - never seen them before and don't want to really :o

Thanks

Poor thing. I hope you get better soon.

I once tried to break up a horrid fight between two locals.

One was really taking a beating because the other seemed very skilled in that thai form of martial art.

I once was trained in self defence in the UK and applied these skills to subdue the nasty one.

Much to my suprise I was able to keep him locked up. I had never used them before and so did not really know if they would work or not.

The local boys in blue came along and had a go at me!

I was given a right slapping and shouted at!

The nasty one then spoke up in my defence and was quickly joined by the man he had been beating.

The police stopped and started laughing!

It all ended with everyone buying me a drink and one of the cops trying to get my number! He was a darling so succeeded!

Get well soon and please be careful. The system I learnt in UK was called something like " defendu" and was very practical. What I liked about it was that it taught one how to avoid such situations.

Something during the gay bashing days back in UK often came in very useful.

Have heard of two similiar instances in the last two weeks, bottles broken over heads, both foreigners & both by groups of young Thais.... the foreigners both older decent gents too & have not done anything.....not the average p**head, I can vouch for that......whats happening....one instance has occurred a prosecution...pending at present

Usually, that kind of episode tends to be triggered by some farang encroaching..at some point...on a Thai lady whom a Thai guy feels belongs to him...

Nothing in the OPs report makes any mention of female involvement anywhere along the way. But such things aren't always immediate. It could have been something much earlier in the evening, and the attackers could have waited until the right moment, or reinforcements, arrived.

Only the OP would know if this was possible in his case. My comment is only, a woman is often involved in these things somewhere.

Expect a rapid and frightening escalation of this sort of thing. Firstly, there is truly massive hatred of farangs seething just under the surface here, and add to that the economic collapse and the political crisis (both sides of which are extremely xenophobic), and the next year or two could be a very dangerous time to be farang in Thailand. Please take care brothers.

Well, I wasn't wearing a white shirt and bestowing the virtues of a good book to all in attendance. Usually these types of things involve one or two of the 7 deadly sins in combination from what I have seen over the years.

In my case is was Lust and Sloth. Luckily I still have my head.

So you got into a fight because you were horny and lazy? How does that work? You were shouting at girls from your balcony with propositions and an angry husband kicked your ass?

I have seen several fights on KaoSan Road the few times I have gone, It seems more violent then Ratchada, and that place is violent. Personal experience: One time 2 Thai men harrassed my girlfriends group of friends and as soon as my girlfriend seperated from them they tried to kidnap her, luckily a taxi driver actually stopped them (some of those taxi guys are alright). Another time some Thai guy started shouting at me and angrily saying "you're that guy!" I most certainly wasnt that guy but just kept smiling and then I noticed about 5 Thai guys peeking from around the corner wating for some stupid falang to get angry so they can pounce, I just kept smiling pretending like I didnt have a clue and he left me alone.