Wall Mounted Air Conditioners

Talking about wall mounted units in the 9,000 to 18,000 BTU range.

Previously when buying, i have tended to just choose the best deal of the big-name brands.

I need to buy now again, and just wonder whether any of you have any recommendations.

Looking at the going rates for units of around 13,000 BTU, they seem to range from about 18,000 to 30,000 baht. Obviously the more expensive units have more functions, but are any of these functions worth having?

Is there a brand that you swear by or a model that you have been impressed with?

I'm not bothered about it being whisper quiet by the way.

Thanks for your suggestions. :o

If you're talking about efficiency I can mention another consideration to be aware of. If the unit is for the bedroom it is well worth getting the ceiling above insulated with as thick a foam as you can afford. This can make a big difference in the size of the unit you need. The air con guy who installed a unit for me a few years back said it was a bit small for the room. I showed him the 6" insulation I had and he agreed...no worries. Now, when the room is cooled I can go out for a couple of hours and the room is still cool when I get back !!

Oh yes, more functions is much better, definitely. Expensive aircons last longer, maintenance much easier and cost effective.

I have ceiling and wall mounted Mitsubishi and never had any problems whatsoever.

Interesting, thanks. Can you explain a little about what the extra functions are on the more expensive units and which of the functions to really look out for.

Are your Mitsu units Mr Slim or Heavy Duty, and do you know which is better?

If you're talking about efficiency I can mention another consideration to be aware of. If the unit is for the bedroom it is well worth getting the ceiling above insulated with as thick a foam as you can afford. This can make a big difference in the size of the unit you need. The air con guy who installed a unit for me a few years back said it was a bit small for the room. I showed him the 6" insulation I had and he agreed...no worries. Now, when the room is cooled I can go out for a couple of hours and the room is still cool when I get back !!

Great tip. Thanks. Had thought of insulating but weren't sure of the costs involved. Did you do yourself? Can you remember costs involved?

This topic is a little old but still valid. Several members have recommended Mitsubishi Electric (not Mitsubishi Heavy Duty). Our technicians at the lab I work who also installs and maintains AC units commercially also recommend Mitsubishi Electric. The Heavy Duty brand is not well received it would seem.

BTW: I have Mitsubishi Electric and had no problems. The two LG units put in by our landlord both failed within a year, so not recommended. You might look at inverter models which are the more expensive but if you use the AC for long periods, more energy efficient.

This topic is a little old but still valid. Several members have recommended Mitsubishi Electric (not Mitsubishi Heavy Duty). Our technicians at the lab I work who also installs and maintains AC units commercially also recommend Mitsubishi Electric. The Heavy Duty brand is not well received it would seem.

BTW: I have Mitsubishi Electric and had no problems. The two LG units put in by our landlord both failed within a year, so not recommended. You might look at inverter models which are the more expensive but if you use the AC for long periods, more energy efficient.

Thanks Tywais.

Yes, apologies for repeating a thread that's been done hundreds of times before i'm sure.

Thanks for the tips too.

Does anyone have/use one of the inverter units and are they worth paying extra for?

Thanks Tywais.

Yes, apologies for repeating a thread that's been done hundreds of times before i'm sure.

Thanks for the tips too.

Does anyone have/use one of the inverter units and are they worth paying extra for?

Only thing I would throw in is that Home Mart (yes, not the place I would have though of either) had some very keen deals last time I looked - significantly cheaper than even Makro and the other big super stores.

Great tip. Thanks. Had thought of insulating but weren't sure of the costs involved. Did you do yourself? Can you remember costs involved?

Its a couple of years now so I've forgotten. Basically it comes in different thicknesses, 2" 3" 4" etc. At the time the pound was strong so I got 6" but 3" will do. It comes wrapped in space foil so its o.k. to handle...not itchy. If you have a floating tile type ceiling its easy to put in yourself if you have a stepladder. If you have a plasterboard ceiling you needs to cut an access hole to the attic. I have had to deal with both. For the plasterboard celing I got a local builder to come and cut me a trapdoor access and as it was too hot up there for me , he got one of his young lads to climb up and unroll the stuff I had brought. I think my total outlay was about 6000 baht for the top floor of our terraced house. Once you have done it, thats it...no maintenance. Even without turning the air on at all it does keep the temperature down by a few degrees. In home pro they sometimes have special offers. There is also some other stuff that is only half inch thick which is supposed to be as good as 3 inch lagging but I think they are exaggerating a bit.

As for air con units, we have an LG . Been using it for over 2 years now without problems. However, we do have it cleaned twice a year ( 500 a throw ) but its worth it. The water they wash it with always turns completely black ! After a clean , it runs quieter, cools quicker and doesn't smell like there's an old sock somewhere inside. :o

Oh yes, more functions is much better, definitely. Expensive aircons last longer, maintenance much easier and cost effective.

I have ceiling and wall mounted Mitsubishi and never had any problems whatsoever.

Interesting, thanks. Can you explain a little about what the extra functions are on the more expensive units and which of the functions to really look out for.

Are your Mitsu units Mr Slim or Heavy Duty, and do you know which is better?

We have got Mr Slim in a couple of rooms and have had no problem.The company sends out people to service it every 6 months.They clean the filter and the compressor. I know its not an issue but they do run very smooth and quiet

Something light like this is preferred if your a do-it-yourselfer. Must be someone up there that carries it.

Reflecta-Shield

The original oxidisation and corrosion resistant foil insulation. Our patent pending process now standard on all Reflecta-Range products solves the longevity issue for foil insulations and incorporates an anti-slip feature for your safety.

1500mm wide, it's also 7mm thick to give extra protection. An all round product that fits behind wall claddingas, over battens or under rafter. As with all Reflecta-RAnge products it doubles as a thermal and acoustic insulator protecting your assets and saving the cost of installing a seperate product.

Size 1500x20 =30sqm

post-63954-1224847408_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've got 7 York split air systems ranging from 9000 to 24000 BTU installed throughout my house here in Bangkok. 5 of the 7 get used very regularly (2 of the 5 get used almost 24 hrs a day); the remaining 2 of the 7 get used occasionally. All seven systems are 11 to 12 months old and I haven't had any problems with any of them.

I've got 7 York split air systems ranging from 9000 to 24000 BTU installed throughout my house here in Bangkok. 5 of the 7 get used very regularly (2 of the 5 get used almost 24 hrs a day); the remaining 2 of the 7 get used occasionally. All seven systems are 11 to 12 months old and I haven't had any problems with any of them.

Bloody hel_l, You have either got a dam_n big house or you must really hate the heat. 7 aircon units??

I know a someone who has a 30mil bht mansion around outer bkk and doesnt even have that many units in her mansion. lol

Bloody hel_l, You have either got a dam_n big house or you must really hate the heat. 7 aircon units??

I know a someone who has a 30mil bht mansion around outer bkk and doesnt even have that many units in her mansion. lol

Not really; four bedrooms upstairs and each has a split air. 3 split airs down stairs for four areas/rooms. Since I'm not cool personally, at least I can be cool physically. :o

I have Samsung.

18,000 BTU in the living room and 9000BTU in the bedroom.

The model numbers start with AQ09 and AQ18, and they are reversible

to give heat in winter as it gets quite cold where I live.

Topic moved to the House section.

They will have better advice for you. :o