Breakfast In Pattaya

fourbaht

hi all, was in robins nest, steves place on soi bukhaow, he is being really inventive to try and get people in, he's advertising on the board outside a real breakfast, starting with cornflakes, includes mushrooms, black pudding and everything as usual, plus any drink, not just tea, and as much as you want, limit 3 drinks, hel_l of a deal, 199 baht, i know because i get a couple of his great sunday lunches thru the week at 129 baht, check it out

I stopped in there about a year ago, I was really surprised at how good the food was. They also have wifi, just ask for the code. Been back about twice since, the only reason I haven't been back more often is that I don't like sitting outdoors to eat. If that's not a big deal, then this place is really good. Even the service is good, which seems to be on a steep decline all over Pattaya.

My advice would be to give Robins Nest a big miss.

Why, I have used the one on Soi Bukao for food a few times and found it reasonable.

So much so I also patronised the one down the soi off soi bukao towards 2nd road.

The steak one night was inedible, like shoe leather, but when I complained nobody wanted to know and so all I could do was pay and walk away.

I never went back.

Anybody can get a one off bad un, but the staff knew me and wouldn't or couldn't right things.

Felt like I had been really ripped off by Robins Nest , so never again , however their loss.

Robins Nest establishment was ok until something went wrong, ... beware!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't believe peeps recommend the continental :)

i can't speak for the new place but i'm suprised they have one since i sampled their first cafe's efforts :D

the food was well below par and if u are unlucky enough to get a seat outside u have to sit dodging dripping drain water or swatting every fly in thailand....and we all know what attracts flies :D

best breakfast i have in pattaya and one i'd recommend is "Jeeds Bar" opposite the 24 hour supermarket in view talay 1 it's run by a thai woman with her english "wife" julie

jeed and julie are good for a laugh and serve good english/thai grub :tup:

Agreed - always flies around inside the restaurant and the kitchens don't look hygienic to me. They also advertise free Wifi but just tray asking for the password and after they've told you 'mai mee' and gone home to get it, try connecting. They also don't seem to provide newspapers.

I prefer Papa David's nearby - good selection of breakfasts from around the world, good freshly-baked bread, free newspapers and a good open ambience.

lol i still remember the continetal :) lol

i don't know if jeed n jules are still in thailand, last time i was there they'd moved into the shop in vt1

i haven't been over in a few years but back then canterbury tales?(lol think that was the name but i might be telling a tale lol) in soi chayaipoon was pretty good

i'll have to get back over & i'll check out this thread to see where to avoid but the continental was rank when i was there last & i don't think wifi had been invented lol

I ate at Crazy Daves one time. The cottage pie was absolutely horrible! I would descibe it as over heated, microwaved, canned dog food with dried out instant mashed potatoes and brown pond slime gravy. Save your money and just buy dog food at Lotus.

If English breakfast was all that was available, I would skip it! Clogged arteries and heart attacks just waiting to happen.

An English breakfast doesn't have to be high in saturated fats, scrambled eggs, grilled bacon and tomato and baked beans and mushrooms being a healthy way to start the day.

Sure, give the fried bread and sausage a miss!

Eggs = loads of cholesterol, whichever way you cook them.

bacon = loads of saturated fat and cholesterol, along with salt and cancer-causing flavours (smoked) and/or preservatives

baked beans - good for you apart from loads of sugar additives.

The only healthy part of those ingredients are the tomatoes and mushrooms (unless fried). Don't get me wrong - delicious yes, 'healthy' on a regular basis - definitely NO.

On a regular basis, for a healthy breakfast, there is nothing like porridge and/or muesli, maybe sweetened with dried or fresh fruit and yogurt. I know it sounds PC but you need whole grains at least once a day and that is the best way to get it, along with wholegrain bread. Also avoid just fruit and yogurt - your tum-tum needs fibre and some substantial solid food like whole grains in the morning.

bacon = loads of saturated fat and cholesterol, along with salt and cancer-causing flavours (smoked) and/or preservatives

The cholesterol in eggs does not raise blood cholesterol levels in healthy, non-obese persons.

Saturated fats raise blood cholesterol levels.

The cholesterol in eggs does not raise blood cholesterol levels in healthy, non-obese persons.

Saturated fats raise blood cholesterol levels.

So what makes cholesterol in eggs different from any other dietary cholesterol? It does affect blood cholesterol levels, albeit to a lesser extent than saturated fat. In any case, eaten daily with bacon, you get the benefit of huge amounts of both. Yeah, I like it too, but only eat it occasionally nowadays. But I'll try to find all the healthy, non-obese farangs in Pattaya and let him know.

UPDATE!

I had a high quality English Breakfast at 'The Little Wonder' restaurant in the covered shopping arcade parallel to Soi Diana yesterday. (2nd Road).

Highly recommended. The cafe is situated at the end of the arcade opposited 'Papagaybar' and next to an Indian restaurant (I've never been to)....

You can't miss it.

PS. On the way down to the bottom of the arcade it helps just to ignore the seven Indian gentlemen selling made-to-measure suits.

I often eat in there. The boss is from East London and they serve up pie and mash and very good it is too. All the food is good in there.

hi all, was in robins nest, steves place on soi bukhaow, he is being really inventive to try and get people in, he's advertising on the board outside a real breakfast, starting with cornflakes, includes mushrooms, black pudding and everything as usual, plus any drink, not just tea, and as much as you want, limit 3 drinks, hel_l of a deal, 199 baht, i know because i get a couple of his great sunday lunches thru the week at 129 baht, check it out

I stopped in there about a year ago, I was really surprised at how good the food was. They also have wifi, just ask for the code. Been back about twice since, the only reason I haven't been back more often is that I don't like sitting outdoors to eat. If that's not a big deal, then this place is really good. Even the service is good, which seems to be on a steep decline all over Pattaya.

My advice would be to give Robins Nest a big miss.

Why, I have used the one on Soi Bukao for food a few times and found it reasonable.

So much so I also patronised the one down the soi off soi bukao towards 2nd road.

The steak one night was inedible, like shoe leather, but when I complained nobody wanted to know and so all I could do was pay and walk away.

I never went back.

Anybody can get a one off bad un, but the staff knew me and wouldn't or couldn't right things.

Felt like I had been really ripped off by Robins Nest , so never again , however their loss.

Robins Nest establishment was ok until something went wrong, ... beware!

It's difficult to find decent steak at a reasonable price in Pattaya. Restauranteurs would be well advised to keep it off their menus as it can lose them customers as this thread indicates.

I ate at Crazy Daves one time. The cottage pie was absolutely horrible! I would descibe it as over heated, microwaved, canned dog food with dried out instant mashed potatoes and brown pond slime gravy. Save your money and just buy dog food at Lotus.

If English breakfast was all that was available, I would skip it! Clogged arteries and heart attacks just waiting to happen.

Apex Hotel used to be acceptable. Was there last week and found that variety and quality have declined considerably. Don't think I will be back for a very long time.

I've used Crazy Dave's many times over the years and never had a bad meal. You also get to watch 'Only fools and horses' with your grub.

Try "Gafae", next to Tukcom. They served good breakfast. Althought, their price is a bit higher than crazy dave or p&w, but the food and service is much better. Their scramble eggs is the real thing, creammy but not soaky. There, you can have your latte or cappuccino with breakfast as well. However, they only have a short list of breakfast menu. I asked the owner why doesn't he extend the menu and he said that he wanted his place to be a coffee shop, not a restuarant. He said too much smell of food can ruin the coffee atmosphere. (well, good thinking.) :)

Robin's Nest.

Not bad and I like that they have newspapers (though no UK title) but what put me off was that they seem to charge more than other restaurants for water. I took that as a bad sign simply because it's the most basic drink and I see no reason to need to be above most other places.

When I last went it was 40baht and elsewhere generally 30 Baht. May have generally changed as that's a good few months ago now.

A minor point maybe, but quite telling if it's above most others for a basic bottle of water.

I also hear he holds back on paying (full) staff wages, so tough times indeed and/or not a great employer.

Edited by twix38

Bon Cafe.

End of 2nd Road across the Dolphin roundabout and a few hundred metres up on the right towards Naklua.

Inside AC or outside terrace with fans. Newspapers, real coffee. Several choices of breakfasts around B90-120, English, German, ABF, Continental, Asian, Healthy breakfast.

Good and fast service.

Bon Cafe.

End of 2nd Road across the Dolphin roundabout and a few hundred metres up on the right towards Naklua.

Inside AC or outside terrace with fans. Newspapers, real coffee. Several choices of breakfasts around B90-120, English, German, ABF, Continental, Asian, Healthy breakfast.

Good and fast service.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'll check that place out ASAP.

I have to mention that the 'Boat Bakery' full English breakfast on Pattaya 2nd road is now priced at 50 baht, not 48 baht. It still represents outstanding value for money, as I am sure all who have been served it agree.

Please note that scrambled eggs incur an extra surcharge at the Boat Bakery:

Edited by syd barrett

back to the food...

went to Rosie Ogrady's yesterday and had the english breakfast at 140 baht and very nice it was too. It was by chance also as i had intended to eat next door at the pig & whistle, but i was too early ..they wern't open.

I will be returning t rosies. :)

went to Rosie O'grady's yesterday and had the English breakfast at 140 baht and very nice it was too. It was by chance also as i had intended to eat next door at the pig & whistle, but i was too early ..they weren't open.

I will be returning to Rosies. :)

It seems strange that the Pig & Whistle weren't open for business at breakfast time.

I will Rosie O'Grady's another go tomorrow.

Can you comment upon the quality of Rosie's sausage?

went to Rosie O'grady's yesterday and had the English breakfast at 140 baht and very nice it was too. It was by chance also as i had intended to eat next door at the pig & whistle, but i was too early ..they weren't open.

I will be returning to Rosies. :D

It seems strange that the Pig & Whistle weren't open for business at breakfast time.

I will Rosie O'Grady's another go tomorrow.

Can you comment upon the quality of Rosie's sausage?

Syd-is Rosie`s sausage a large fat one-or more of the chipolata variety :):D:D ???????????????????

It was 8:15 when I arrived, sign said open at 8:30

I was up nice and early and having not been out the night before was in need of a chol top up.

Not being a sausage connissuer its not easy for me to describe the sausage quality, i will say they were fine, not the best ive ever had but by no means anything wrong with them. They were not the short fatter variety like say yorkies. My favourates back home are the Richmond Irish sauasages. All good healthy stuff to keep my chol levels high.

:)

It was 8:15 when I arrived, sign said open at 8:30

I was up nice and early and having not been out the night before was in need of a chol top up.

Not being a sausage connissuer its not easy for me to describe the sausage quality, i will say they were fine, not the best ive ever had but by no means anything wrong with them. They were not the short fatter variety like say yorkies. My favourates back home are the Richmond Irish sauasages. All good healthy stuff to keep my chol levels high.

:)

Thanks for the feedback 'highchol'.

As you said the shorter and fatter variety of sausage are never as satisfying as a full length Richmond Irish sausage.

There seems to be a dearth of 'Cumberland Sausage' in Pattaya for some unknown reason. I suspect that the economic downturn has placed a limit on the probable profitable and regular sale of a sausage of such increased length and girth. More's the pity.

Had the rosie's breakfast again today, great & 5 & 1/2 hours later still full. :)

I see there is a breakfast special on at the Butchers arms, has anybody tried it any veiws?

The Butchers Arms breakfast is available from 8.00 am until 4.00 pm and costs 110 Baht.

Recommended but you might need to order two.

Far better is the Boat Bakery on 2nd Road on the opposite side to the Royal Garden Mall about 250 yards towards Pattaya Tai.

post-4408-1251917542_thumb.jpg

Edited by syd barrett

• 1 month later...
New English Breakfast recommendation: Dana Beer Bar, Soi Bukhaw.

120 baht served all day, check it out! :)

Location; same side as Pattaya Beach books but 100 yards further down past Utid Court,

HI, Thanks for the recommendation and the name of the establishment is "DENA Beer Bar", Soi Bukhaw, you get a full English Breakfast with either a glass of Orange/Pineapple/tomato juice a mug of tea or cup of coffee.

The bacon is proper English bacon served with english breakfast sausages, tomato's, beans, eggs and toast. Plus local english paper to read whilst enjoying your meal. :D

The new Moose's Fish and Chip restaurant on 2nd (beach side) between Central Festival Pattaya Beach and the Klang has an impressive looking full English (based on the picture) and also has daily English newspapers. I don't eat that kind of stuff, but someone who cares should check it out.

• 2 months later...
The new Moose's Fish and Chip restaurant on 2nd (beach side) between Central Festival Pattaya Beach and the Klang has an impressive looking full English (based on the picture) and also has daily English newspapers. I don't eat that kind of stuff, but someone who cares should check it out.

Thanks for the feedback, I will check it out tomorrow.

post-4408-1261162859_thumb.jpg