Are You Happy In Thailand ?

Maigo6

Ok people,

I have seen enough posts on this forum over the years that tells me all is not rosy for many Farangs in Thailand.

Personally, I can't think of any other country I would rather live in, and I have travelled maybe not that much, but to maybe 20 countries, and I'm happy here. Well, as happy as I'd probably be anywhere taking into account my financial situation.

I'd love to have an apartment in Monaco, a holiday Villa in Nice ( very close ), a beautiful house in Tuscany, an apartment overlooking Central Park in New York, but my financial situation precludes me from such luxuries, hence I live in Thailand.

In Thailand I can live a very good lifestyle at a very reasonable price, yes I built a house, of course it isn't mine, but guess what, it was 6 months wages, I can lose that and not worry at all, in fact for my long time GF. I would help her out until she died if needed.

I just don't get all the bitterness and hatred towards Thai people from other posters here, I'm not wearing rose tinted specs , I've lived here since 1990, not as long as some but a lot longer than others, but on December the 10th it will be 18 years for me, and it's 18 years that I don't regret. :o

Edited by Maigo6

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok people,

I have seen enough posts on this forum over the years that tells me all is not rosy for many Farangs in Thailand.

Personally, I can't think of any other country I would rather live in, and I have travelled maybe not that much, but to maybe 20 countries, and I'm happy here. Well, as happy as I'd probably be anywhere taking into account my financial situation.

I'd love to have an apartment in Monaco, a holiday Villa in Nice ( very close ), a beautiful house in Tuscany, an apartment overlooking Central Park in New York, but my financial situation precludes me from such luxuries, hence I live in Thailand.

In Thailand I can live a very good lifestyle at a very reasonable price, yes I built a house, of course it isn't mine, but guess what, it was 6 months wages, I can lose that and not worry at all, in fact for my long time GF. I would help her out until she died if needed.

I just don't get all the bitterness and hatred towards Thai people from other posters here, I'm not wearing rose tinted specs , I've lived here since 1990, not as long as some but a lot longer than others, but on December the 10th it will be 18 years for me, and it's 18 years that I don't regret. :o

One of the most rational, well balanced posts I have read on TV for a long time.. :D

Think when it comes to Thai basing, there is a group who are not happy unless they are complaining, whinging or blaming someone...Dont this is directed at Thai's per se, it wouldnt matter what country these people were in, they would find something or someone to blame and complain about, and everything is bigger and better "at home"

I also detect from certain people an "old colonial" attitude towards Thailand, and Thai people, some of the comments I read seem to have come straight out of the British Raj...

I have been here 7 years, is Thailand the Utopia, the people with rose coloured glasses say it is ?.....not by a long shot, but for me now its home....Will I stay until I am pushing up daisies dont know..

Nice post.

I am happy here in Thailand. :o

Most of the people that make all the noise are unhappy folks anyway. Very few happy people post or mention why they are happy here these days. It has become too dangerous to expose ones self. :D It is nice to hear that people are doing well.

Stay happy!

:D

Ok people,

I think the heat and vodka is getting to you. Highlighted in red gave me is the best laugh all week. Cheers

Edited by RakJungTorlae

Ok people,

In Thailand I can live a very good lifestyle at a very reasonable price, <snip>.

I've lived here since 1990, not as long as some but a lot longer than others, but on December the 10th it will be 18 years for me, and it's 18 years that I don't regret. :D

September 28th 2008 was my 18th year here without a single visa run and have P.M. (Permanent Residency) since 2002, cost 25,000 baht, married to my great Thai wife for just over 23 years, so yes "Maigo6" to answer your post, Very Happy indeed :D

Do you have a P.M. "Maigo6" ? :o after living in this good country for almost 18 years? :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

I am a newbie. Just done my one year anniversary living here.

There are aspects of Thailand that frustrate me enormously and aspects that I love. I miss many things from home but I can afford pretty much anything (within reason) that I want. I have a business that would have been impossible to open in London that is doing very well and is on target to keep on getting better. This affords me an envious lifestyle but I work hard and long hours for it, which I believe is the only way, in any country, to succeed.

There is much that I would like to see improve here but that is down to the people and the politicians. Overall Thailand is a good place to be, its not perfect but then where is. Its where I live warts and all.

I think many people who are unhappy here come here to escape from themselves but find, on arrival, that the thing they are trying to escape from came with them. Thailand is what it is. It is not a utopia but for many of us its the first choice. i can't think of a place I would rather be at the moment.

I think the heat and vodka is getting to you. Highlighted in red gave me is the best laugh all week. Cheers[/font]

Why would the fact that I could lose the cost of the house I built without causing me any financial hardship strike you as funny ?

Let me guess, you're not in the same financial position.

Am I close to the truth ?

Edited by Maigo6

Ok people,

In Thailand I can live a very good lifestyle at a very reasonable price, <snip>.

I've lived here since 1990, not as long as some but a lot longer than others, but on December the 10th it will be 18 years for me, and it's 18 years that I don't regret. :D

September 28th 2008 was my 18th year here without a single visa run and have P.M. (Permanent Residency) since 2002, cost 25,000 baht, married to my great Thai wife for just over 23 years, so yes "Maigo6" to answer your post, Very Happy indeed :D

Do you have a P.M. "Maigo6" ? :o after living in this good country for almost 18 years? :D

Yours truly,

Hi KW....

No I don't have Permanent residency, but I have just bought a Canon EOS 40D, I know you're into photography, I'm just going through the camera at the moment, took 100 pics so far and have some great keepers.....

If it wasn't for the rain, I would have been to the local waterfall and tried out the TV mode, I love that smokey effect with a slow shutter speed on falls and rivers. :D

Hoping to get some tips from you in the photography section ! :(

Edited by Maigo6

I think the heat and vodka is getting to you. Highlighted in red gave me is the best laugh all week. Cheers[/font]

Why would the fact that I could lose the cost of the house I built without causing me any financial hardship strike you as funny ?

Let me guess, you're not in the same financial position, am I warm ? :o

No no I just think you’re a funny dude. But don’t come and bite me in the butt.

1990!! i wasnt even in school yet! i would have been 3 years old....my god!!

RESPECT MAIGO! :D

Cheers JK3,

Yes it's hard for me to believe that I have been here so long too, but no regrets, lifes too short for that. :D

Wah. this is cute.

You are like me MGH. An attention seeker, I admit that I am. But I am still a child, what's your excuse :o

Edited by RakJungTorlae

Ok people,

Yours truly,

Hi KW....

No I don't have Permanent residency, but I have just bought a Canon EOS 40D, I know you're into photography, I'm just going through the camera at the moment, took 100 pics so far and have some great keepers.....

If it wasn't for the rain, I would have been to the local waterfall and tried out the TV mode, I love that smokey effect with a slow shutter speed on falls and rivers. :D

Hoping to get some tips from you in the photography section ! :(

Shall we share pics ?

Its Canon EOS 1000D and pictures from Italy last week. !!!

Have a great weekend Kah :P

Cheers JK3,

Yes it's hard for me to believe that I have been here so long too, but no regrets, lifes too short for that. :D

Wah. this is cute.

You are like me MGH. An attention seeker, I admit that I am. But I am still a child, what's your excuse :o

RJT, I'm hoping for a sympathy s--g from some of the Thai female members who think I'm the only non Thai bashing poster here ! :D

quote name='Maigo6' post='2307042' date='2008-11-01 20:18:59']Ok people,

Yours truly,

ah we ask ouselves do you actually reside here or not? or do you just breeze in between jobs?

the reason i ask is because of the following posts, maybe they look familiar, they should you posted them.

I'm in a similar position, I don't really like where I work, I would much rather be at home in Thailand, but...

I can't afford to retire yet so I'm going where the money is good enough to try to secure my financial future

I'm getting there too, another 3 years should do, then I'm set up

and yes i love it here, that nice taxman ( alistair darling ) actually pays me to live here, best of luck to you, maybe one day you can fulfill your dream, and actually live here like the rest of us.

If you have financial security, good family and friends, anywhere in the world works.

If everything goes tits up then anyplace in the world is wrong.

I am happy, I have all of the first sentence so Thailand has been good to me, it's what's you make it and how you define yourself.

Edited by Swanky

ah we ask ouselves do you actually reside here or not?

Errrr, yeah. Wanna see a print out of my Yearly visa for evidence ?

I don't have a house anywhere else on the planet other than the house I'm typing this from ( and even that ain't mine ! )

I ain't been to my home country longer than a total of 4 months in the last 18 years, I have everything in Thailand, 3000 baht in the bank included. :o

Edited by Maigo6

ah we ask ouselves do you actually reside here or not? or do you just breeze in between jobs?

the reason i ask is because of the following posts, maybe they look familiar, they should you posted them.

I'm in a similar position, I don't really like where I work, I would much rather be at home in Thailand, but...

I can't afford to retire yet so I'm going where the money is good enough to try to secure my financial future

I'm getting there too, another 3 years should do, then I'm set up

and yes i love it here, that nice taxman ( alistair darling ) actually pays me to live here, best of luck to you, maybe one day you can fulfill your dream, and actually live here like the rest of us.

Oh well it was a nice post while it lasted...let the whinging and acustations start... :o

I have been to 108 countries, so I do think I have a little perspective. Most, to be honest, I would not make my residence. Others, like Italy, Spain, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Chile, the Philippines, and the US, well, I could be happy living there. And other I like (such as Japan, Norway, Jordan, Korea, and a few others) but the cost of living or other factors would make it difficult to live there. And that brings us to Thailand.

Do I like the Bangkok traffic? No. Do I lke the choices on Truevision? No. Do I miss my Diet Dr. Pepper? Yes. But that is all small stuff. I like Thailand as a country, and I have since my first trip here in 1982. And I was lucky enough to get my Ph.D. where I had a few Thai classmates who have become my best friends now, and who opened doors for me to come here and work here.

I was about ready to retire and go back to being a professor when I had the chance to do some work for the Thai Senate, and that led to other opportunities which are now bearing fruit. So my best friends are here. My work is here. I enjoy the culture. I have had a few rewarding relationships with some very nice women. I live a somewhat stress-free life. My job and friends both result in me travelling around the world (for work and pleasure trips). I get to exercise four times a week (three times at the gym and once on the tennis courts. Basically, what is there not to like?

I do enjoy my trips back to the US (I am going next week for a trade show.) I visit Mom and siblings, stock up on foodstuffs to bring back, and raid Barnes and Noble for about a zillion books. But I settled in Thailand, and I don't think I will move anywhere else. Visit other places/ Sure. But I think I will always live here. And to directly answer the question, yes, I am happy here.

I am happy here now, but will be much happier when I can make some changes (I've just been here full time for 3 months, although have visited often before). I have a limited income so it will take some time to:

1) Live with my wife ONLY. Living with her son's family is difficult.

2) Find a small home in a much quieter, more picturesque location which isn't flooded with motorcyclists and cars.

3) Live where there are more farangs. Lopburi has almost none and I can't even go anywhere and have a beer and talk to anybody in English.

Thailand itself is great, my issues are situational and temporary.

Cheers JK3,

Wah. this is cute.

RJT, I'm hoping for a sympathy s--g from some of the Thai female members who think I'm the only non Thai bashing poster here ! :D

Yeah I hear ya. Im still debating if was I happier before or after joining Thai Visa. :D

uote name='rgs2001uk' post='2307261' date='2008-11-02 00:22:00']ah we ask ouselves do you actually reside here or not?

I don't have a house anywhere else on the planet other than the house I'm typing this from ( and even that ain't mine ! )

I ain't been to my home country longer than a total of 4 months in the last 18 years, I have everything in Thailand, 3000 baht in the bank included. :o

excellent answer, kudos.

phom khit wa khun ben khon thai roo plaw?

Ok people,

I just don't get all the bitterness and hatred towards Thai people from other posters here, I'm not wearing rose tinted specs , I've lived here since 1990, not as long as some but a lot longer than others, but on December the 10th it will be 18 years for me, and it's 18 years that I don't regret. :D

Hey Magio6

Great post....sadly as yet I don't qualify for your assessment.....don't live in Thailand.....for the last 20 years I have spent most of my spare time there. 20 years ago I was not even aware of any E-mail other than the office. I roamed Thailand without any previous knowledge or advice from my 'peers'. :D Well every bucket of sh*t I put my foot in, and there were a few!!! :o I laughed, took my foot out, washed it down, and continued my ever eventful journey. I have had a fantastic experiences....always been amazed and thankful for the hospitality, good nature and humour proffered by my Thai aquaintances over the years.Thailand contains the quality of life I prefer. I read your posts with interest, and enjoyment, they are required on this forum. :D I am making a great effort to be able to reside permanently sooner rather than later..........Thailand is fun....especially if you wish to enjoy it!!!

best wishes

Geo

Its sad that a guy cant say that he is happy and content without all kinds of people trying to bring him down.

Talking about how much influence or money that they have.

I have travelled most of my life, taken out to sea at 6 months and lived in a slew of places across 4 continents.

What swanky said I agree with 100% apart from the bit about if you don't have them everything goes tits up.

I have consistently been without savings that would last me more than a year apart from when I went to countries with comparatively lower prices, I have few friends and no brothers or sisters.

I have chosen to live in Thailand for the brunt of the last 7 years, about 1/4 of my life.

It is hard to pick a time when I was *not* happy with living in Thailand. It has consistently been challenging, exciting and educational. I have lived in Songkla, Sakhon Nakhon, Koh Chang, Kanchanaburi and many places inside the area that these places circumscribe. In Thailand I have had the pleasure and fortune to work as Creative Correspondence Writer, 3D Animator, English Teacher, Dive Master, Travel Chaperone, Fish Farmer, Computer Programmer, Online Merchant, Network Admin, Real Estate Agent, Bar & Restaurant Manager and Entrepreneur. None of these have made me rich, but that was never the goal, simply to be enriched.

Most of the Thais that I have met have been interesting, helpful and simply wonderful, very few times have I faced a bad deal that could not be negotiated to a mutually beneficial arrangement. With Farangs less so. Certainly I have met many farangs living here that I respect and enjoyed the company of and the discussions and friendship shared I appreciated immensely. But there are also many that confuse being a businessman with being a conartist, industry with fraud and competitiveness with sabotage.

This is not something peculiar to Thailand ofcourse, but perhaps here the contrasts are starker.

ah we ask ouselves do you actually reside here or not?

Go6

but alas you are in country what percentage of the time? (now ... don't obfuscate like you have been doing .....)