Reclaiming Uk Vat With A Non-o/retirement Extension

Guderian

I'm not sure where it's best to post this, but as it is visa-related, I thought I would try here.

I'm living in Thailand on retirement extensions to a 1 year Non-O visa. I want to buy a new DSLR camera, and for various reasons I would prefer to purchase it when I am back in the UK at Christmas. My question is: when I leave the UK in January to return to Thailand, will I be able to reclaim the 17.5% UK VAT on the camera?

I did this many years ago when I was living in Africa, but then I had a proper residence permit. The retirement extensions/Non-O are not a residence permit as far as I understand it. Does anyone know if the UK Customs people (and the shop where I plan to buy the camera, which has to provide the relevant paperwork) will accept my retirement extension/Non-O and allow me to reclaim the VAT when I exit the UK at Heathrow?

N.B. this is only about reclaiming UK VAT, I am not interested in the Thai VAT tourist reclaim scheme.

I'm not sure where it's best to post this, but as it is visa-related, I thought I would try here.

I'm living in Thailand on retirement extensions to a 1 year Non-O visa. I want to buy a new DSLR camera, and for various reasons I would prefer to purchase it when I am back in the UK at Christmas. My question is: when I leave the UK in January to return to Thailand, will I be able to reclaim the 17.5% UK VAT on the camera?

I did this many years ago when I was living in Africa, but then I had a proper residence permit. The retirement extensions/Non-O are not a residence permit as far as I understand it. Does anyone know if the UK Customs people (and the shop where I plan to buy the camera, which has to provide the relevant paperwork) will accept my retirement extension/Non-O and allow me to reclaim the VAT when I exit the UK at Heathrow?

N.B. this is only about reclaiming UK VAT, I am not interested in the Thai VAT tourist reclaim scheme.

Are you classed as non-resident in the UK ? if not, then answer is you cant claim back VAT

Are you classed as non-resident in the UK ? if not, then answer is you cant claim back VAT

Yes, for UK tax purposes I am non-resident and not ordinarily resident. Like most retired British expats here, I should guess. But I believe that our status in Thailand using the Non-O/retirement extension route does not constitute residence in Thailand, does it? I think we are, in effect, just classed as long-term visitors. Correct me if I am wrong there.

Yes, for UK tax purposes I am non-resident and not ordinarily resident. Like most retired British expats here, I should guess. But I believe that our status in Thailand using the Non-O/retirement extension route does not constitute residence in Thailand, does it? I think we are, in effect, just classed as long-term visitors. Correct me if I am wrong there.

Based on the fact you are "legally" a Non-UK resident then you should be able to claim the VAT back, In Thailand believe after being here for more than 6 months you are classed as "resident" and can get a letter to that effect from Immigration, believe its a similar letter people use for getting drivers license etc...

Unless someone has PR in Thailand we are all classed a long term visitors, perpetual toursits...whether on retirement, working here etc...

To convince HM customs Re VAT etc, guess you would need your documentation stating you are non-resident in the UK

I do this regularly and have not had to "prove" I am a non-resident, but it might depend on the airport and/or what the officials had for breakfast. To be on the safe side just get a standard letter of residence from the British Embassy/Consulate in Thailand and I wouldn't think there will be any issues.

Provided the rules haven't recently changed - if you do not live in the UK you can buy and claim back the VAT on leaving the UK.

Some sort of residency/long term visa elsewhere can be helpful if the official thinks you're pulling a fast one but I've never had any problems.

But you must buy within 3 clear months of leaving the UK - that is buy in October and you must leave before the end of December (Oct, Nov Dec = 3 months)

So if you buy on the 30th October you must leave by 31st Dec. If you buy on the 1st Nov you must leave by 31st Jan.

Provided the rules haven't recently changed - if you do not live in the UK you can buy and claim back the VAT on leaving the UK.

Some sort of residency/long term visa elsewhere can be helpful if the official thinks you're pulling a fast one but I've never had any problems.

But you must buy within 3 clear months of leaving the UK - that is buy in October and you must leave before the end of December (Oct, Nov Dec = 3 months)

So if you buy on the 30th October you must leave by 31st Dec. If you buy on the 1st Nov you must leave by 31st Jan.

Thanks, I was aware of the 3 month rule.

It seems to me that the best way to go is to request a certificate of residence from Thai Immigration (similar to what is used to apply for a Thai driving licence) when I apply for my next retirement extension in December.

If anybody else is interested in this, by the way, the scheme is outlined at:

VAT Retail Exports

Note that you have to buy the goods in person, so mail-order companies like Amazon cannot operate this scheme.

I have claimed tax back without any problem for 4 years on a Non-O and 4 years previously on a Non-B. I have remained ordinarily resident (with mother's address and UK bank account etc.) throughout this time, but that's irrelevent since I've never been asked for proof. If on the VAT reclaim form you put your UK address, you'll get the tax back.