A Little Safety Tips And Shopping Advice For The Lone Travelling Dyke

LucifeL

Hey Guys,

I have planned a trip to Bangkok in December, as i dont know anyone here... so i have not decided on the duration of my trip... And i am also a lone traveller, yes has it own advantages and disadvantages. Technically i am Dyke ... So i dont consider myself pretty neither do i dress pretty, mean all i ever wear are black sneakers, Tight blue jean and Black Mens Shirt with cuff folded up :D , which i think hadly anyone would find tempting, but i have gotten into trouble with for invoking the wrong type of curiosity, as they do get sometimes intimidated by my Style Which is Kinda masculine... though i call it androgynous (with a little bit of Emo :D )...

I am looking forward to some architectural photography, so i need to travel at night ... so now i am having second thoughts. Where ever i have gone i have always taken the basic precautions and that has served me well, without any major problems. But i was relying on Bangkok Tuk-tuk's and taxi's for night travel :o , coz taking sky train and then walking to places would be bit unsafe.

So now i am looking forward to some advice from you people regarding a couple of few things.

Primarily, though i have gone through the "Safety Tips For Women In Thailand" i just want to ask ...what sort of temperment do i expect from the locals, my perception of bangkok till now has been a cool and hep city so i think i wont be noticed and will blend in , but juss want to know where i could get flacks , if at all...And also i am Technically an indian, not a Farang, so all the more a reason to blend in...

Second, just in case i would like to buy a pepper spray or/and a Personal Panic Alarm. Is it available in Bangkok. If u guys have any idea where can i find it. I would be really greatfull. Juss on the safe side. Wish i could have a Tazer. :D

Thirdly ...i would love to buy Nice and sexy Pure Jet black RockStar Stiletto Boots, one with nice high heels ..Size 10-11.. Yes i have Big feet, 10 is infact tight for me... I beg u ...i have to, have to , have to have it..PLzzzzzz I want it so bad, I LUVVV stiletto Boots :D ... As far as i have done my research MBK is the place where the Younge and Trendy of Bangkok go .. and also heard of Little Siam ... Situated down an unassuming side alley off the massive Siam Center super-complex ... heard upcoming designers showcase their work there... i hope i find something there... also ... please dont recommend those posh designer boutiques in posh malls... A design student myself i so cant afford them...

Hoping for a little help,,

Mucho Grasias...:(

Sorry but im hugely skeptical, as this is one of the strangest post I have read in a long time (and Thaivisa has a remarkable amount of strange posts). Personally I have never heard a gay woman refer to herself as a "dyke", but then again I havent met a lot of gay women. I smell the distinct scent of troll about this, sorry if you really are genuine.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, all i can say is there are a lot of 'tomboys' in Thailand. No one bats an eyelid at a Tom and her (usually) pretty and feminine girlfriend out together. Its rare that you would "get flack" in Thailand for how you look, at least not directly, unless you are very unpresentable (then you may get an excuse such as "the hotel is fully booked" or whatever).

As for the other questions, i really have no idea.

Tazer....blimey... :o

Primarily, though i have gone through the "Safety Tips For Women In Thailand"

if you are worried about your safety , try and get some protection from the local muffia.

ok, tax, that was pretty bad :o

op, tbh I wouldn't worry too much about the security issue. IMO if you are well travelled & know how to look after yourself then you will be ok, just take the usual precautions & make sure you arent out & about late, drunk & acting silly. :o

As for the taser question, no idea. As to the boot question, no idea :D

The lesbian thing, well ime (as a non gay) I have found thais to be quite tolerant on the surface, meaning you are unlikely to get any kind of comment or agression but may notice gossiping behind your back (if you are inclined to care) if you look obviously "tom" but to your face, nothing would be said & you may find yourself quite popular with the thai ladies, I know 2 thai toms who are constantly getting hit on/flirted with by very femme (supposedly straight) thai women!!!

Seriously - do the rounds of the bars in Patpong/Nana/Soi Cowboy, if you spot an employee dancing in the kind of boots you want, ask where she got them. Perhaps someone more familiar with these venues can suggest specific establishments specializing in leather-clad staff.

:o Well...wow so the flacks have already started... :D Well , Yes i am a dyke/ butch and i am proud and out and about. Bit i dont walk with a banner stuck to my fore head and i donno which corner of the globe are homosexual females called "Gay woman" lolzz as far as i know , where i come for they are called Lesbians, butches, femms & Dykes. Whatever , not that its relavent anymore. If at all i chose to ask for help, i though i rather be discriptive of my disposition. I give you the Faculty of Doubt as you could have been trolled before but i dont think i need to give any more of this explanation or justification. If at all i have given this much its because i asked for the help in the first place, and i apologise if i sounded too paranoid, which i think i did get after reading the the Sticky Topic "Safety for woman in thailand".

In the past i have never needed Pepper spray(PS) or a Panic Alarm(PA)(though i always thought it would be better to have them). In the past i have handled men one on one, when in trouble. As a lone traveller its not always possible for me to avoid travelling at night. But coming to the Muay thai land did get me thinking that, may be its time i bought a PS and/or a PA. Hence i asked where can i get them in Bangkok ?

As for the Boots , i did more homework and found out Pratunam Market is my Best bet. After that i am hoping to see Platinum Mall , MBK and Little Siam, though would be also checking out Jatujak too.

As a final help, can some least tell me after what time to avoid taking taxis and tuk tuks. I guess i will have to do my Architecture shoots by eveining and early night and get back to my hotel. So much so for my clubbing plan alone.

P.S – Thanks for your reply Boo.

- @ Phaethon... LolZZ i ain't looking for go-go Boots, nuthing gets more feminin and yukk than them ... those chunky platforms and stubby block heels... Unless u have been personally to these places and they do wear nice , awwsome , sexy pointed heels/pencil hells with sexy pointed toes... then sure i will go and check them out... But if i go will it look to men there, like i am asking for it :D .

Edited by LucifeL

Pratunam is good for original clothes, lots of fashion school/design grads with stands & shops, not sure what size you mentioned but I'm a UK 7/41 & struggled to find shoes to fit me but you may get lucky. Taxis can be got all night, I've taken them alone in the wee hours & never had a problem myself so use your best judgment, just take care standing out alone concentrating on photographing buildings, you wont be focused on who is around you but this is basic common sense & you sound like you are used to this stuff.

you don't say where you are now, but as a woman with size 10 feet, i'd recommend looking for those stiletto boots before you arrive... the only shoes i've ever found in my size in thailand were men's shoes. thai women don't have size 10-11 feet, and even in department stores it's rare they carry higher than a 9 in my experience.

unless you find a place that caters to drag queens, as we have in san francisco, that have the larger sizes of sexy shoes. that might be quite the adventure. :o

well i am from india, and i guess its official i am an absolut goner when it comes to high heel boots.. I am an UK size 9 1/2. My feet measure 10 3/4 inches, 27cm...

ok i have buried my hopes... coz i dont want to carry any expectations and then get dissapointed once i am there... though i read most of the people in Pratunam complex and platinum mall are international wholesalers..i think i will go and talk to them if they have any smaples to sell or any plus size models.

Hey Hammockwoman, thanks a great idea... if i see any nice dragqueens or thai ladyboys with huge feet, guess i will ask them...

For boots, go to Patpong, walk into a Ladyboy bar and ask them where they got their boots etc.

There is an industry that caters to Ladyboy fashion/clothing. So I am sure you'll find size 10 boots.

As to being hit on by men at go-go bars. Aint gonna happen, you'll make new girlfriends though....plenty of them.

Architecture shoots at night??? How much equipment will you be carrying with you???

9 1/2 is quite big!! so yeah, best not to get too hopeful of finding a boot to fit but you never know :D . have a great trip :D
Well , Yes i am a dyke/ butch and i am proud and out and about. Bit i dont walk with a banner stuck to my fore head

mean all i ever wear are black sneakers, Tight blue jean and Black Mens Shirt with cuff folded up
:D

For boots, go to Patpong, walk into a Ladyboy bar and ask them where they got their boots etc.

There is an industry that caters to Ladyboy fashion/clothing. So I am sure you'll find size 10 boots.

As to being hit on by men at go-go bars. Aint gonna happen, you'll make new girlfriends though....plenty of them.

Architecture shoots at night??? How much equipment will you be carrying with you???

@ Boo... thanks a lot yeah i hope this trip turns out to be a blast :o .

@ Life is pain.... Aaah .. i was juss being discriptive :( .

@ mmushr00m... can u please tell me how do i know if its a Layboy's bar.. is there a sign... Well it will be impossible for me to skip the tripod... so juss SLR and camera bag along with it...

i have planned to stay at pratunam area and the hotel i am gonna book (Citin Pratunam) is bloody vegan... so i was thinking how to score a decent meaty breakfast there...are there loads of food stalls and vendors there in the morning too. ... Bwaha aha aah i so cant wait.. :D

Ladyboys will be taller then the average thai girl. Look for Amazons.

Also all of them have that "look", oval face/pointy chin.

I think all the bars in patpong with the name "KIng" in it are ladyboy bars.

and yea, place will probably be filled with japs.

Pratunam, there are a myriad of food stals lining the street between Pantip & the Big C supermarket around the corner & over the bridge (you'll know what I mean when you are there) you can also get thai food at the food courts inside Pantip. Outside the Pratunam fashion mall there are Swensens & Black Canyon type places that do food too but have a wander around as there are lots of small sois about that have foodie places, for a steak or a more western style brekkie you may have to go to Siam which is only a 20baht tuk tuk ride away. :o

ALso in the same area right between pantip & fashion mall is the grand diamond pratunam hotel which does a pretty extensive & decent brekkie buffet (thai, chinese & western food including big pork roast & egg counter) if you fancy a major blow out, think it was about 350 baht for non residents but I was impressed & even though I am not that into food made the effort to go to breakfast every morning.

Ladyboys will be taller then the average thai girl. Look for Amazons.

Also all of them have that "look", oval face/pointy chin.

I think all the bars in patpong with the name "KIng" in it are ladyboy bars.

and yea, place will probably be filled with japs.

Pratunam, there are a myriad of food stals lining the street between Pantip & the Big C supermarket around the corner & over the bridge (you'll know what I mean when you are there) you can also get thai food at the food courts inside Pantip. Outside the Pratunam fashion mall there are Swensens & Black Canyon type places that do food too but have a wander around as there are lots of small sois about that have foodie places, for a steak or a more western style brekkie you may have to go to Siam which is only a 20baht tuk tuk ride away. :o

ALso in the same area right between pantip & fashion mall is the grand diamond pratunam hotel which does a pretty extensive & decent brekkie buffet (thai, chinese & western food including big pork roast & egg counter) if you fancy a major blow out, think it was about 350 baht for non residents but I was impressed & even though I am not that into food made the effort to go to breakfast every morning.

@mmushr00m

thanks a lot ...i will surely check those places out.. i realy appreciate it...

@ Boo..

yay.. thanks... i will surely check out the breakfast buffet... and also the malls too...

have been thinking of going to Somboon Seafood behind MBK... donno how much sense its gonna make , going there alone... and ordering all that food alone .. hope they pack the leftovers for me..lolzzz

BTW where do u guys go to get your bathrobes...Home linen etc...i mean which departmental store... should i juss got to MBK's Tokyu

Edited by LucifeL

Pratunam, there are a myriad of food stals lining the street between Pantip & the Big C supermarket around the corner & over the bridge (you'll know what I mean when you are there) you can also get thai food at the food courts inside Pantip. Outside the Pratunam fashion mall there are Swensens & Black Canyon type places that do food too but have a wander around as there are lots of small sois about that have foodie places, for a steak or a more western style brekkie you may have to go to Siam which is only a 20baht tuk tuk ride away. smile.gif

thanks boo, you know more about my neighborhood than i do!

If you walk down sukhumvit road you will spot the weapon stalls... covered in knives, throwing stars, handcuffs etc... the same stalls sell a bewildering variety of shock items... I wouldn't exactly call them tazers... and I suspect that the voltage is a bit low to call themreal stun guns. You'll hear the loud crackling buzzing sound they make as the stallholders demonstrate them to tourists. The same stalls sell pepper spray. I don't think you'll find genuine mace though...

I don't believe that you'll attract any untoward attention... but wearing black will be very hot during the day, and attract mosquitos at night... it's also a color (?) that Thai's associate with death and mourning... but what the hel_l... black is always the new black...

I'd agree with the posters who suggest asking the ladyboys where they shop for footwear... you simply won't find regular shops selling womens shoes in that size.

You'll find the skytrain to be fast, air conditioned and safe... I used to live in London UK, and I'd say the skytrain is a dam_n sight safer than the london underground... of course there are always pickpockets and people who will pick up an unwatched bag in half a second... but that's a hazard in any big city these days...

Best of luck, and enjoy your visit.

I wouldn't recommend taking tuk-tuks, but taxis are usually okay. Just make sure you ask for the meter to be on and have a quick wiff that the driver doesn't smell of alcohol if at night!! If you want to go to several places at night time, you could spend a bit more and book a taxi through julie's taxis.

http://julietaxitour.com/

They have English speaking drivers and do loads of tour options plus you can create your own tour - just tell them what you want to do and ask them for other ideas. Loads of people from my work use them and I have always found them polite, reliable and helpful.

Was at Pratunam today buying white Abba boots for my school show & ground floor of Pratunam center has loads of shoes shops selling black stilleto boots in big sizes - think a lot of the stuff there is intended for lady-boys and bar girls going by the sorts of clothes on sale! Apparently the place shuts early, around 5.30, but not sure about this. Can walk there from Central World shopping center.

If you walk down sukhumvit road you will spot the weapon stalls... covered in knives, throwing stars, handcuffs etc... the same stalls sell a bewildering variety of shock items... I wouldn't exactly call them tazers... and I suspect that the voltage is a bit low to call themreal stun guns. You'll hear the loud crackling buzzing sound they make as the stallholders demonstrate them to tourists. The same stalls sell pepper spray. I don't think you'll find genuine mace though...

I don't believe that you'll attract any untoward attention... but wearing black will be very hot during the day, and attract mosquitos at night... it's also a color (?) that Thai's associate with death and mourning... but what the hel_l... black is always the new black...

I'd agree with the posters who suggest asking the ladyboys where they shop for footwear... you simply won't find regular shops selling womens shoes in that size.

You'll find the skytrain to be fast, air conditioned and safe... I used to live in London UK, and I'd say the skytrain is a dam_n sight safer than the london underground... of course there are always pickpockets and people who will pick up an unwatched bag in half a second... but that's a hazard in any big city these days...

Best of luck, and enjoy your visit.

Was at Pratunam today buying white Abba boots for my school show & ground floor of Pratunam center has loads of shoes shops selling black stilleto boots in big sizes - think a lot of the stuff there is intended for lady-boys and bar girls going by the sorts of clothes on sale! Apparently the place shuts early, around 5.30, but not sure about this. Can walk there from Central World shopping center.

.. :o arn't both of you my little angles... bwaha ahaa aha ha ...

@ Murgatroyd...

But isn't sukhumvit road .. one of the longest roads in bangkok...can u plzz be more specific of which part of sukhumvit road... u mean the Siam - Sala Deng area..? or the ekkamai areas.... but thanks a lot .. now i know what to look out for...

@sylvafern

Awww thanks ... i will surely check that out... its amazing...i hope i get my size... :D ....:wub:black stilettos... :D

Edited by LucifeL

Lucifel, i just want to wish you the best of luck! ..as well as a bit of an apology for my cynicism. Thing is, i realise you are new so you probably dont know, but there has been some trawling lately (and from time to time) on the Ladies forum from people who just like to post lots of unusual threads in order to spam and initiate some problems (or at least they try to). As your post was a little out of the norm, I became doubtful if it was genuine. I find im gullible so much of the time, and this time when i thought i really had found a trawler, i was way off the mark! :o So typical! Anyway, I honestly wish you a happy and successful trip. Have lots of fun! :D

@ eek

Hey ... you needin't apologize... i know it happens all the time at public forums... also thanks for letting me know of "Emily is strange" in my thread at Bangkok forums... i really appretiate you for both there and here... eh eh ...

Edited by LucifeL

@ Murgatroyd...

But isn't sukhumvit road .. one of the longest roads in bangkok...can u plzz be more specific of which part of sukhumvit road... u mean the Siam - Sala Deng area..? or the ekkamai areas.... but thanks a lot .. now i know what to look out for...

I'd try the Sukhumvit road between soi 4 (Nana) and Asoke Sky train station... in the evening...

Best of luck

Murg

@ Murgatroyd...

I'd try the Sukhumvit road between soi 4 (Nana) and Asoke Sky train station... in the evening...

Best of luck

Murg

thanks Murgatroyd

i will surely remember that... :o