Will Flower Seeds Grow In Thailand?

janetplanet

I am far from an expert myself, but I have tried growing numerous flowers and vegetables from seeds brought from England.

What happens with most seeds is that the do not germinate, or die soon after germination, from the heat.

If you are lucky the seeds germinate, the plants grow, and form flower buds. Then, I guess because of the heat compared to England the flowers drop off without opening.

I live in Pattaya, and have several friends who have also tried and failed with Uk and Australian seeds.

Its possible that if you were father North, in for example Chiang Mai, you might have better luck.

I'm curious which seeds from home will grow in Thailand? I am a beginner horticulturalist and am interested in growing some of my fav. flowers from home in Thailand. Is this an exercise in futility?

Hi Janet,

Many such flowers will grow in Thailand, but some may prefer to be grown in the dry season and some may prefer the wet season (besides weather conditions, some flowers produce flowers according to day length so may not flower if planted at the "wrong" time of the year). You may just want to experiment (note that most flowers come in different varieties, so just because one variety of say sunflower does not grow well does not mean that all varieties of sunflower will not grow well). Also you may like to visit the web site of AFM at http://www.afmgroup.com/afm/company/index.htm This company based in Chiang Mai regularly imports and tests seeds of flower varieties from overseas to find out which ones are adapted to the local soils and climate before marketing them within the country. They also have their own breeding program. There used to be a British guy in charge, but not sure if he is still around.

Besides growing flowers for pleasure, you may want to make a business of growing flowering plants to sell to others (e.g. as bedding plants, pot plants, etc). AFM will be interested to cooperate with you in this way, e.g. by providing advice, etc.

Best regards,

JB.

I'm curious which seeds from home will grow in Thailand? I am a beginner horticulturalist and am interested in growing some of my fav. flowers from home in Thailand. Is this an exercise in futility?

A visit to Jatujak markets plants section will show you a great selection of seeds, including most if not all of those you mentioned, in sachets with planting and care instructions on the back, in Thai though but it should be fairly easy to get someone to translate it for you.

good luck

/bbp

One thing to bear in mind is that seeds that do well in warm climates may not survive the freezing temps encountered during flight, if I bring back seeds from the US I always put them in my carry on. I also choose seeds of plants that do well in high heat and humidity. It is pointless to try and grow sweetpeas 9 degrees north of the equator.

i can tell you for a fact that sunflowers grow very well here. i brought seeds from Canada and they all grew very well. i never knew it, but there are dozens of varieties of sunflowers, all different sizes and colours. so next time you're home, load up on sunflowers. once you plant them, you're guaranteed seeds for life unless a cow eats them or something.

Edited by turnpike

Hello, This may be a touch off this specific topic but what are the regulations about bringing seeds into the country. I brought some pepper seeds back to the States years ago but they were in tins and customs waved then through. I would be surprised if the Thai government was that casual with imports by individuals (non business/academic). Likewise do/have any of you sent pepper or vegie seeds through the post to outside countries? If this needs it's own thread then please feel free.

• 2 weeks later...

i can tell you for a fact that sunflowers grow very well here. i brought seeds from Canada and they all grew very well. i never knew it, but there are dozens of varieties of sunflowers, all different sizes and colours. so next time you're home, load up on sunflowers. once you plant them, you're guaranteed seeds for life unless a cow eats them or something.

This year the road between my village and the next town is lined with thousands of sunflowers so they definitely grow here in Chantaburi. As for the others, I don't know.

I have grown all of the above at one time or another (I live in Vietnam, which has similar climate to Thailand). My latest attempt was a complete failure though: grew Chilies for the kitchen, a couple of days something ate the plants to the ground. Am suspecting rats.

Had great success with both lavender & morning glory last year, but total failure with alyssum. Then I found out it's best to plant alyssum surrounded by marigolds - to keep the nasties away, so this year I'll try that.

Trying several varieties this year, including several kinds of sunflower and marigolds - I'll post what happens.

• 1 month later...

I

Had great success with both lavender & morning glory last year, but total failure with alyssum. Then I found out it's best to plant alyssum surrounded by marigolds - to keep the nasties away, so this year I'll try that.

Trying several varieties this year, including several kinds of sunflower and marigolds - I'll post what happens.

I have frequently brought seeds back from the u.k. and successfully grown them here, as someone said it maybe that they will grow best in the Chiang Mai area, we live not far from there but I always put my seeds in the freezer compartment for 6weeks or so after being told that encourages germination dont know if thats fact or just b/s but my seeds do grow but good luck anyway.

• 1 month later...

Sweetpeas - no

Sunflowers are a cash crop in Thailand and I have had success with many varieties but not all.

I'm not an expert, but would be a bit concerned about growing morning glory. The native morning glory in Thailand is edible. The ornamental morning glory is poisonous. Can they cross fertilise?

If you like Zinnia, these grow very easily with very little care and not too much water. But for some reason do not grow well for me from bought seed. It's better to look for some growing locally and pinch some seed heads.

Vinca, very easy

Marigolds, some varieties grow well, others not. I particularly like a variety called nova, available in Thailand. The local marigold is more like a bush with single flowers, but if cross fertilises with a double, can make a lovely plant.

Tithonia (mexican sunflower) - very easy

Things like celosia and dianthus are better bought as plants here as they are cheap enough and varieties that do well here. I have had success with growing carnations, but very challenging, especially when a helpful local rips them out as mistakes them for grass!!!! :o

Chrysanthemums grow well in the cold season, but can suffer from rust.