What Type Of Voltage Converter Do I Need For A Usa Laptop ?

jbeck

I have a new sony vaio and can't find any info about the right type of converter to get for thailand..

I'd like to buy one here, before I leave for thailand - or, is it easier to get it there?

I'm afraid someone will sell me something without being sure it is okay for a laptop.

Obviously I don't want to take any chances, and there seems to be very little info, and I on;y see generic converters.

Like for shavers, etc...

thanks!

Take a look at the powerbrick coming with the Vaio.

There's a big chance that it'll say 110 - 240 Volts. If so you won't need a converter.

If it only does 110 Volts you'll have to buy a step down transformer, from 220 Volts down to 110 volts. Easily to get in Thailand, most hardware stores stock them.

Take a look at the powerbrick coming with the Vaio.

There's a big chance that it'll say 110 - 240 Volts. If so you won't need a converter.

If it only does 110 Volts you'll have to buy a step down transformer, from 220 Volts down to 110 volts. Easily to get in Thailand, most hardware stores stock them.

yeah - it says input: 100-240v,50-60Hz

woo hoo! thanks!

what about my guitar amp - it only says 120V, 60Hz, 115Watts,just a simple stepdown, or does it have to support a specific current draw, it's definitely not an electric razor...

hmm i've also got a 24" LCD monitor - that says "rating: 100-240v,50-60Hz", I guess I'm okay on that too.

Uh router! no good. Is a wireless MIMO router cheap there?

kop kun cup.

Jeff

power over here is roughly the same as the UK (when it works that is :o )

OP is from USA!!

As noted above, there is a strong chance the unit has a 'universal' power supply so won't need a converter. Otherwise they are widely available just ensure you get one with enough oomph to power your PC, look at the 'Watts' or 'W' figure on the power brick, get a converter that is somewhat bigger.

EDIT Yes the above applies to the amp too a 200 Watt converter should do the trick, the only caveat would be the frequency in Thailand is 50Hz this could cause your amp transformer to overheat. If you're going to be here a while your local radio man will probably be able to put a local 50Hz transformer in which should remove any issues until you return to the US.

Edited by Crossy

power over here is roughly the same as the UK (when it works that is :o )

OP is from USA!!

As noted above, there is a strong chance the unit has a 'universal' power supply so won't need a converter. Otherwise they are widely available just ensure you get one with enough oomph to power your PC, look at the 'Watts' or 'W' figure on the power brick, get a converter that is somewhat bigger.

EDIT Yes the above applies to the amp too a 200 Watt converter should do the trick, the only caveat would be the frequency in Thailand is 50Hz this could cause your amp transformer to overheat. If you're going to be here a while your local radio man will probably be able to put a local 50Hz transformer in which should remove any issues until you return to the US.

uh, I'm not going to return!

yeah for the guitar amplifier, I think I'd need to buy a special manufacturer specific transformer, unless the converter can change the Hz, well I'll just sell it here and get one over there I guess.

uh, I'm not going to return!

yeah for the guitar amplifier, I think I'd need to buy a special manufacturer specific transformer, unless the converter can change the Hz, well I'll just sell it here and get one over there I guess.

Forget trying to change the frequency.

Your amp may work just fine on 50Hz, particularly if it's a high quality unit. If the manufacturer are contactable, why not ask them, they may even be able to supply a 50Hz 220V transformer :o