Thai Universities

ZOVOX

So have we come up with an answer already?

Which universities are better?  American or British ones?

Is the OP satisfied with the answer?

What's the matter Meemia, are you looking to pick a fight with me because of your frustration from another thread? I guess one does prefer the cover of opinion, when the facts are so clearly against you.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have we come up with an answer already?

Which universities are better?  American or British ones?

Is the OP satisfied with the answer?

What's the matter Meemia, are you looking to pick a fight with me because of your frustration from another thread? I guess one does prefer the cover of opinion, when the facts are so clearly against you.

I think you are being overly sensitive here, honestly.

I didn't even read through any of your posts here.

Yes George Bush is intelligent thats why your dumb Prime Ministers Blair and Howard of australia supported him thick and thin despite opposition from the public. Is nt it obvious that they wont follow a dumb person or are they dumber than G W Bush?. You may not agree with his policy but he is the right president of USA at the right time where terorist intimidated the free world, he is the only person who will pursue them and destroy them. :o

................as was the computer..................

Here's a UK source that suggests otherwise, likewise, the computer was hardly invented in the UK, show me yours and I'll show you mine.

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~c9814405/cp2014...netinvented.htm

Invention, per se, means little, it is what you do with it that really counts. As an example, the telephone may have been invented in Canada, but so what? Some say that the concepts of computers emanated from knitting machines, but they are hardly comparable to the computers in the modern era, which have far surpassed punch card readers which is what the French invention relied upon.

I remember a time when Russia claimed to have invented everything from soup to nuts, and again, so what?

Here's a UK source that suggests otherwise, likewise, the computer was hardly invented in the UK, show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Invention, per se, means little, it is what you do with it that really counts. As an example, the telephone may have been invented in Canada, but so what? Some say that the concepts of computers emanated from knitting machines, but they are hardly comparable to the computers in the modern era, which have far surpassed punch card readers which is what the French invention relied upon.

I remember a time when Russia claimed to have invented everything from soup to nuts, and again, so what?

The Prof' doesn't let the facts get in the way when he comments, He hasn't had a lot to say about Lord Florey either.

Babbage!

At the end of the day, we'd still be pissing about with horses and carts if it wasn't for the Brits. :o

Sorry, but the Chinese have invented almost everything under the sun, maybe even toilet paper. Weren't the Brits living in caves while the Manchurians were making gunpowder? :o

:D blah, blah, blah...lets think about things that actually matter.

The Chinese may have had some sort of parchment to wipe their ass on but nothing to crap in other than a hole in the ground. So who invented the flushing toilet?...hmmm...a nice British gentleman perhaps (Crapper or the other chap)? I doubt that 70% of Chinese use bog roll today and a significant proportion of the population are paupers (government), but I don't think they deserve masses of amounts of praise for the development of today's world.

I don't like to 'beat my chest like a typical Brit', as some nob mentioned earlier in another thread, but a lot of other nations around the world like to put us down, largely due to being shat on in the past I suspect, which I can understand, but there's definitely a lack of appreciation for the amount the British have helped to advance our society.

Anyway, on topic: There's no way I'd send my son to a Thai State school and wouldn't trust their unis either. It seems that the American unis are top of the tree but ridiculously expensive, so I'd go for the British ones and have the free healthcare (if it can be called that) the same time :D

nothing to proud about NHS (british free health care?) you need to wait 6 months to get your minor cut bandaged! and to treat cancer you need to wait decade for chemotherapy. Id rather have health insurance than getting free care from NHS :o

Yes George Bush is intelligent  thats  why your dumb Prime Ministers Blair and Howard of australia supported him thick and thin despite opposition from the public. Is nt it obvious that  they wont follow  a dumb person or are they dumber than G W Bush?.  You may not agree with his policy but he is the right president of USA at the right time where terorist intimidated the free world, he is the only person who will pursue them and destroy them. :D

Yikes :D I definitely don't agree with your reasoning or choice of president, nor did 49% of the American voting population; so much for your point about opposition.

Babbage!

At the end of the day, we'd still be pissing about with horses and carts if it wasn't for the Brits. :o

Jackr, don't forget arrogance - another English invention. Athough, most of you may have forgotten since that is the only credit you give us yanks :D

Sorry, but the Chinese have invented almost everything under the sun, maybe even toilet paper. Weren't the Brits living in caves while the Manchurians were making gunpowder? :D

The Chinese may have had some sort of parchment to wipe their ass on but nothing to crap in other than a hole in the ground. So who invented the flushing toilet?...hmmm...a nice British gentleman perhaps (Crapper or the other chap)? I doubt that 70% of Chinese use bog roll today and a significant proportion of the population are paupers (government), but I don't think they deserve masses of amounts of praise for the development of today's world.

I don't like to 'beat my chest like a typical Brit', as some nob mentioned earlier in another thread, but a lot of other nations around the world like to put us down, largely due to being shat on in the past I suspect, which I can understand, but there's definitely a lack of appreciation for the amount the British have helped to advance our society.

Anyway, on topic: There's no way I'd send my son to a Thai State school and wouldn't trust their unis either. It seems that the American unis are top of the tree but ridiculously expensive, so I'd go for the British ones and have the free healthcare (if it can be called that) the same time :D

Jackr: I agree with you, there are a lot of great things about England and its legacy. There are also a lot of bad things, like everywhere else, and especially every other developed industrialized country.

It just seems to me that you need to tear everything else down in your path to make a point, especially when it comes to discussing the U.S.

Of course, factual criticism of the states is justified, but a lot of what passes for criticism is actually ranting, both hypocritical and incorrect. And then when some of you are challenged on both your hypocrisies and inaccuracies, you call us (Americans) arrogant with big collective egos. Go over the thread to see who demonstrated the biggest singular and collective ego combined.

And about the computer ...... yes, Babbage and Turin, but there were a host of others before them that also made a significant contribution by way of the calculator - the first computer. It is therefore difficult to pronounce Turin as the "inventor" of the computer. But there is an arugment that he is the "father" of computer science. But these are different things. It's the same when you (all of you, not just Jackr) start railing about the internet. To professionals and people who actually know about the history of the internet and its technology, your arguments are absurd (and that would include Tim Berners-Lee, who actually Chaired the department of Computer Science at my former university).

In terms of penicillin, that Nobel Prize was shared between an English national, an Australian, and an American.

Anyway, that's my satang's worth for now. Lighten up. Stop being so venomous and hateful. It's like a ###### viper's nest on this thread.

Hey, I'll even buy you a beer - bud light? :D:D No, I'm just joking. I wouldn't dare offer American piss water to my dog.

I'll buy you a real beer. As Rodney King once said: "can't we all just get along?"

Chill. :D

Kat

Yes George Bush is intelligent  thats  why your dumb Prime Ministers Blair and Howard of australia supported him thick and thin despite opposition from the public. Is nt it obvious that  they wont follow  a dumb person or are they dumber than G W Bush?.  You may not agree with his policy but he is the right president of USA at the right time where terorist intimidated the free world, he is the only person who will pursue them and destroy them. :D

Yikes :D I definitely don't agree with your reasoning or choice of president, nor did 49% of the American voting population; so much for your point about opposition.

Babbage!

Jackr, don't forget arrogance - another English invention. Athough, most of you may have forgotten since that is the only credit you give us yanks :D

Sorry, but the Chinese have invented almost everything under the sun, maybe even toilet paper. Weren't the Brits living in caves while the Manchurians were making gunpowder? :D

Jackr: I agree with you, there are a lot of great things about England and its legacy. There are also a lot of bad things, like everywhere else, and especially every other developed industrialized country.

It just seems to me that you need to tear everything else down in your path to make a point, especially when it comes to discussing the U.S.

Of course, factual criticism of the states is justified, but a lot of what passes for criticism is actually ranting, both hypocritical and incorrect. And then when some of you are challenged on both your hypocrisies and inaccuracies, you call us (Americans) arrogant with big collective egos. Go over the thread to see who demonstrated the biggest singular and collective ego combined.

And about the computer ...... yes, Babbage and Turin, but there were a host of others before them that also made a significant contribution by way of the calculator - the first computer. It is therefore difficult to pronounce Turin as the "inventor" of the computer. But there is an arugment that he is the "father" of computer science. But these are different things. It's the same when you (all of you, not just Jackr) start railing about the internet. To professionals and people who actually know about the history of the internet and its technology, your arguments are absurd (and that would include Tim Berners-Lee, who actually Chaired the department of Computer Science at my former university).

In terms of penicillin, that Nobel Prize was shared between an English national, an Australian, and an American.

Anyway, that's my satang's worth for now. Lighten up. Stop being so venomous and hateful. It's like a ###### viper's nest on this thread.

Hey, I'll even buy you a beer - bud light? :D:D No, I'm just joking. I wouldn't dare offer American piss water to my dog.

I'll buy you a real beer. As Rodney King once said: "can't we all just get along?

Chill. :D

Kat

Fleming and Chain were both Brits ( Chain was born in Germany ) The beer will be nice

Hey, I'll even buy you a beer - bud light?    :D  :D  No, I'm just joking.  I wouldn't dare offer American piss water to my dog.

I'll buy you a real beer.  As Rodney King once said:  "can't we all just get along?"

Chill.    :D

Kat

Nice one, Kat, now you're talkin'. Mine's a Guinness. It may be Irish, but Stout was invented in England :D

It was thaigrr who started me off on a rant for slapping us down so I had to get my back up. A lot of what other countries see as English arrogance is actually mis-understood black humour. For real arrogace, have a look over the chanel...they're even banning English songs on their radio stations. :o

Cheers. I like Guinness, also. Let me know when you guys are in Bangkok.

And Dr. Pat, you're right - but it was Fleming, Chain, and Florey, an Australian national. I think Florey was able to mass produce the vaccine at an American lab in Chicago.

Cheers.  I like Guinness, also.  Let me know when you guys are in Bangkok.

And Dr. Pat, you're right - but it was Fleming, Chain, and Florey, an Australian national.    I think Florey was able to mass produce the vaccine at an American lab in Chicago.

Correcto. Florey and Chain got US drug companies to produce the antibiotic there,

nothing to proud about  NHS (british free health care?) you need to wait 6 months to get your minor cut bandaged! and  to treat cancer you need to wait decade for chemotherapy. Id rather have health insurance than getting free care from NHS :D

I never said I was proud of it. Go back and re-read! You may have to wait forever to get treatment, but if you're lying on the street dying and penniless, then it brings home how important it is.

Not ranting, Kat :o

The test of one's education must surely be in its application, and it seems like Kat has been applying his/her education to this web forum in a flatteringly disporportionate manner compared to her/his doubtlessly high profile day job. :o

Anyway, i thought i'd post the THES world universities ranking since it was much discussed here and since i have it handy. This is just the top 100. Interesting to note that there isn't a single Thai university in the top 200 even. I have hired both Thai and US grads and i have to say that my experience with them suggests that Thai university education is inadequate for producing the sort of dynamic, independent, intellectually curious, and confident people i need on my team. I try hard to create a level paying field, but the difference in standards and quality is too often obvious.

1 Harvard University US

2 California University Berkeley US

3 Massachusetts Institute of Technology US

4 California Institute of Technology US

5 Oxford University UK

6 Cambridge University UK

7 Stanford University US

8 Yale University US

9 Princeton University US

10 ETH Zurich CH

11 London School of Economics UK

12 Tokyo University JP

13 Chicago University US

14 Imperial College London UK

15 University of Texas at Austin US

16 Australian National University AU

17 Beijing University CN

18 National University Singapore SG

19 Columbia University US

20 University of California, San Francisco US

21 McGill University CA

22 Melbourne University AU

23 Cornell University US

24 University of California, San Diego US

25 Johns Hopkins University US

26 University of California, Los Angeles US

27 Ecole Polytechnique FR

28 Pennsylvania University US

29 Kyoto University JP

30 Ecole Normale Super Paris FR

31 Michigan University US

32 Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne CH

33 Monash University AU

34 University College London UK

35 Illinois University US

36 New South Wales University AU

37 Toronto University CA

38 Carnegie Mellon University US

39 Hong Kong University HK

40 Sydney University AU

41 Indian Institute of Technology IN

42 Hong Kong University of Sci & Tech HK

43 Manchester University & UMIST UK

44 School of Oriental and African Studies UK

45 Massachusetts University US

46 British Columbia University CA

47 Heidelberg University DE

48 Edinburgh University UK

49 Queensland University AU

50 Nanyang University SG

51 Tokyo Institute of Technology JP

52 Duke University US

53 Catholic University Louvain BE

54 Brussels Free University BE

55 RMIT University AU

56 Adelaide University AU

57 Paris VI, Pierre et Marie Curie FR

58 Sussex University UK

59 Purdue University US

60 Tech University Berlin DE

61 Brown University US

62 Tsing Hua University CN

63 Copenhagen University DK

64 Erasmus University Rotterdam NL

65 Georgia Institute of Technology US

66 Wisconsin University US

67 Auckland University NZ

68 Macquarie University AU

69 Osaka University JP

70 St Andrews University UK

71 Sorbonne Paris FR

72 University of California, Santa Barbara US

73 Northwestern University US

74 Washington University US

75 Boston University US

76 Curtin University of Technology AU

77 Vienna Technical University AT

78 Delft University of Technology NL

79 New York University US

80 Warwick University UK

81 Yeshiva University US

82 Minnesota University US

83 Eindhoven University of Technology NL

84 Chinese University Hong Kong HK

85 Göttingen University DE

86 Rochester University US

87 Trinity College, Dublin IE

88 Case Western Reserve University US

89 Malaya University MY

90 Alabama University US

91 Bristol University UK

92 Lomonosov Moscow State University RU

93 Hebrew University Jerusalem IL

94 Vienna University AT

95 Technical University Munich DE

96 Western Australia University AU

97 King's College London UK

98 Amsterdam University NL

99 Munich University DE

100 Queen Mary, University of London UK

nothing to proud about  NHS (british free health care?) you need to wait 6 months to get your minor cut bandaged! and  to treat cancer you need to wait decade for chemotherapy. Id rather have health insurance than getting free care from NHS :D

I never said I was proud of it. Go back and re-read! You may have to wait forever to get treatment, but if you're lying on the street dying and penniless, then it brings home how important it is.

Not ranting, Kat :o

I agree with you. I think guranteed health care and education is a fundamental requirement of a civilized society.

Quote thedude: "The test of one's education must surely be in its application, and it seems like Kat has been applying his/her education to this web forum in a flatteringly disporportionate manner compared to her/his doubtlessly high profile day job."

Yes, so I'm underemployed at the moment. Teaching is a noble profession, except in Thai government schools where it is virtually impossible. But some of us still manage :D

edit: (By the way, I'm a she).

Edited by kat

Cannot believe this thread found so much juice to keep it going!

Perfectly simple question asked..turned out it was a bit more complicated as step-daughter does not speak English well enough to go abroad!

There are no real measures for comparing universities, whatever THES or others may assert. Money plays a big part nowadsys re endowments etc...the theory being if you pay big salaries to attract whizzy academics that soemehow makes for a 'better' university.

Many universities are 'competing' on the basis of Research criteria not on undergraduate teaching and the 'experience' of university.

Just as the OECD and others try to 'rank' countries by GDP etc most of this bears no relation to what it means in terms of experience, learning, knowledge and skills that help you develop a career you wanted.

You have to notice that most doctors have Tulane degrees or from wherever and it is true that Thai Hi-So and the politicians are sending their kids abroad...and little money is invested in Thai education.....

If the girl has to stay in Thailand then Chula, Thamasat, Rangsit, for Med/Law/Media are the obvious choices..as I understand it they cost about B40,000 a semester. Cheaper than an International School....Ramkhamhaeng is a disgrace and would have been closed down in many another country...there are few teachers and what passes for education is simply rote learning of multiple choice test books...avoid at all costs!

What she will get more than any high powered education is a cohort of classmates who will go on, probably,to be significant in Thai life..that is probably the best reason for sending her. Of course if she can become sufficiently proficient in English it would be great for her to go abroad as well,...where she goes and to study/learn what....choose the course for its reputation...and, generally,be doubtful of unheard of UK universities in unknown towns....but then I see the University of Staffordshire is up there with the best!!

"There are no real measures for comparing universities, whatever THES or others may assert. Money plays a big part nowadsys re endowments etc...the theory being if you pay big salaries to attract whizzy academics that soemehow makes for a 'better' university.

Many universities are 'competing' on the basis of Research criteria not on undergraduate teaching and the 'experience' of university.

Just as the OECD and others try to 'rank' countries by GDP etc most of this bears no relation to what it means in terms of experience, learning, knowledge and skills that help you develop a career you wanted."

That is absolutely untrue. Of course there are measures for comparing universities, otherwise how would you know that Chula and Thammasat are the obvious choices in Thailand, and Ramkhamhaeng is a disgrace?

Not all comparisons are as stark, but there are different categories of measurement and scores for each. Some universities rank higher in certain categories even though they may not get the highest overall ranking. The top universities get consistently high rankings in individual and overall scores. Yes, money is a factor, but obviously not the only important one. The University of California Berkley is a public university and 2nd on the list, and there are 2 other American public universities in the top 20. This also reflects the scores in other international surveys, although THES is considered the international "authority".

Op what was your kids wanting to study as different universities would specialise in different faculties. This would also make the best university list obsolete as the best would only be the best at one thing.

Also with the debate on who invented the computer i think you are all wrong as it was the babylonians whom first invented the abacus about 3000 years ago.

After that it was the europians who perfected various counting machines (mechanical computers).

But it wasn't until Konrad Zuse, a German engineer, completes the first general purpose progammable calculator in 1941. He pioneers the use of binary math and boolean logic in electronic calculation. This was the first electronic computer. Source Here

Hope this helps