Thai Universities

ZOVOX

:o You think I have a way with grouch?  I guess you would say that about someone who can substantiate arguments with more than casual opinion.

But then again, this forum is rife with hypocrites.  Somehow, I don't think we would be having this discussion if British unis were at the top of the lists.  Whatever.  I guess you believe whatever it is you need to believe, even if it is factually incorrect.

Talking of thorns .... :D

Well I was going to leave it. Doctor please mail that guy some thorns, roses, needles or whatever pricks his incredibly thick skull and skin.

Kat. You have substantiated absolutely nothing. You have provided nothing in the way of what even on this forum might pass for 'Evidence', 'Argument', 'Logic ' or even Curiosity...why would anyone try to 'compare and quantify' universities or their performance..whatever that might look like?' People on these fora are forever gettting into a tizz about Where is better?, Who is better?.....obviously without success. As with Thailand/US?UK or wherever a bit of 'description' or even 'analysis' might be a goos precursor to all these 'judgements' and 'rankings'

I think we would be having a discussion whatever Universities were pitched up as 'better' or 'best' Remember the original question.

Let us know in which secluded cloisters you acquired your ability to sound like a US Secretary of State..."Factually Incorrect?" "Absolutely Mr. President"

I was going to go on...If US universities are so wonderful how did it happen that they came up with? ...but I think I would be getting on to US politics... a subject even more touchy than bar girls...university politics on the other hand comprise cunning and malpractice that would make Enron seem like...oh a British University, I suppose. By the way I see US Business Schools are now being blamed worldwide for Corporate Incompetence......

This is not a gripe 'ad hominem'....ie you, Kat, it is simply that what followed the original question had little to do with anything that passes for rational conversation.....ooooooh!!

Now I will leave it..Maybe!, Whatever.!..Cheers Doc, Kat,...anyone else?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D You think I have a way with grouch?  I guess you would say that about someone who can substantiate arguments with more than casual opinion.

But then again, this forum is rife with hypocrites.  Somehow, I don't think we would be having this discussion if British unis were at the top of the lists.  Whatever.  I guess you believe whatever it is you need to believe, even if it is factually incorrect.

Well I was going to leave it. Doctor please mail that guy some thorns, roses, needles or whatever pricks his incredibly thick skull and skin.

Kat is a black woman (who professes to often 'pass' as white) from New York (Harlem?)

Couldn't you tell? :o:D

Big shoulders, Big chips, I'd say.

:D You think I have a way with grouch?  I guess you would say that about someone who can substantiate arguments with more than casual opinion.

Kat. You have substantiated absolutely nothing. You have provided nothing in the way of what even on this forum might pass for 'Evidence', 'Argument', 'Logic ' or even Curiosity...why would anyone try to 'compare and quantify' universities or their performance..whatever that might look like?' People on these fora are forever gettting into a tizz about Where is better?, Who is better?.....obviously without success. As with Thailand/US?UK or wherever a bit of 'description' or even 'analysis' might be a goos precursor to all these 'judgements' and 'rankings'

I think we would be having a discussion whatever Universities were pitched up as 'better' or 'best' Remember the original question.

Let us know in which secluded cloisters you acquired your ability to sound like a US Secretary of State..."Factually Incorrect?" "Absolutely Mr. President"

I was going to go on...If US universities are so wonderful how did it happen that they came up with? ...but I think I would be getting on to US politics... a subject even more touchy than bar girls...university politics on the other hand comprise cunning and malpractice that would make Enron seem like...oh a British University, I suppose. By the way I see US Business Schools are now being blamed worldwide for Corporate Incompetence......

This is not a gripe 'ad hominem'....ie you, Kat, it is simply that what followed the original question had little to do with anything that passes for rational conversation.....ooooooh!!

:D She wouldn't be a lot o' fun om a fishing trip. :o

Yeah, but you weren't going to leave it before you took one last cheap shot, right? You claim to be educated, but you resort to chest-beating and personal insults to defend an argument. Thanks for so aptly demonstrating my point.

You also claim to have worked at "many" universities. Did you grade students? Were some applicants accepted and rejected, based on academic criteria? Or were you just a pompous twit who mentioned jobs that had no relevance to academic standards?

I'm going to divide this post in easy to read paragraphs, because you obviously need to brush up on your comprehension. Let's go over this together:

You asked me about the measures of THES and other surveys. I responded by saying "As I said earlier, the measures in most comparative surveys look at different combinations of cited research, faculty, graduate scores, overall reputation and individual departments, faculty/student ratios, amongst other things. Different surveys emphasize different points, but most reproduce a list fairly close to the THES". Then you proceed to say that I never answered your question. How much background do you need in this case - the invention of the ######ing wheel?

You then contradict your own arugment about comparing and ranking universities by stating that Ramkham is a bad university. I wasn't disagreeing with your assessment, only arguing that you and others do make them, and some do so professionally. I'm glad that you admitted yours was an opinion, with which I don't fully disagree, but it IS your opinion. And if I had to rank your opinion with the findings of the THES survey of universities and more than 1300 international academics, your opinion ranks much lower. By the way, do I also need to include the definition of "substantiate" as well?

Sorting and ranking is a reality of almost every activity on the planet. It most definitely is a function of industralized countries. You say that we can't compare countries based on GNP? Have you not heard of the United Nations, the World Bank, the IMF, or just about every other international finance, insurance, or development institution? You mentioned the OECD. Thailand was ranked next to last on their survey of the region. Do you still think they are full of shit?

We cannot measure a smile or the subjective experience of Nepal or any other country, but we most definitely can measure whether or not they are a least developed country, a middle-income developing country, or a developed one.

We can compare the state of governance, transparency, and corruption.

This does not measure the same things as the Human Development Index, or many other important qualities. YOU may have personal objections to this system, but it does organize a set of international criteria that provides information beyond estoteric judgements.

If you don't like the direction of the thread, then don't post. But if you are going to start complaining that a thread is off topic because you don't like the dialogue, then go call a mod. I must admit though, that there is plenty of bashing that passes for discussion on this forum, and I don't run off like a kid who's lost a football match whining for his mother.

Maitembot quote:

"Kat is a black woman (who professes to often 'pass' as white) from New York (Harlem?)

Couldn't you tell?

Big shoulders, Big chips, I'd say."

I've been rendered speechless by the profound stupidity of this quote :o

Eventually, i want to send my daughter to a thai university. Just wondering what thai universities are like ?

How do they compare to u.k universities ?

Which ones are the best ?

How much does it cost a year ?

Depends on how bright she is. If she's just above average, then

suggest you check out Assumption

http://www.au.edu/

or Asian

http://www.asianust.ac.th/

or Stamford Int'l

http://www.stamford.edu/new_web/page_about.asp

or Webster

http://www.webster.ac.th/

Webster looks like it would be a great experience w/ oppy to study at their other campuses throughout the world.

I don't know, but I imagine all of these would likely be comparable to your average, middle-of-the-pack gov't college in the UK or States at least.