Pad Protest In Pattaya

APMann

As if Pattaya needed any more hassle or bad publicity. On local news this morning is a report that PAD are going to set up a permanent protest stage in front of Banglamung police station, so these witless jobless wonders can sit and do nothing all day here as well as in Bangkok. Do you think they will be allowed to remain, or will the powers that be 'encourage" them to disperse (and how)?

Edited by soundman

As if Pattaya needed any more hassle or bad publicity. On local news this morning is a report that PAD are going to set up a permanent protest stage in front of Banglamung police station, so these witless jobless wonders can sit and do nothing all day here as well as in Bangkok. Do you think they will be allowed to remain, or will the powers that be 'encourage" them to disperse (and how)?

With such a high ratio of Isaan folk in the town, I think their protests will fall on def ears. Personally, I just think they want to get away from traffic jams they have created in Bangkok for a few days of sun and sand. :o:D

For a nation of people that have such a respect for the " loss of face", have they any idea what a sad bunch they look like to the outside world????

No. They probably don't see themselves as others see them.

Bit like the rest of us really. :D

I fail to see what they hope to achieve by a protest site in Pattaya. The tourists won't have a clue what it's all about, the long term expats won't give a flying duck provided they aren't inconvenienced and most of the locals will care even less. But I guess after all the fumes, heat and dirt of Bangkok they feel they need some quality time at the seaside (and a relaxing massage :o ).

concur, neither side holds the high moral ground ... wonder if the protest will eventually spread over to WS at night time. Imagine it, PAD weirdos competing for attention outside go-go bars using handheld loudspeakers :o

BTW,

if you want a government that has stated that they are trying to stop issan folk voiting and it has been said more than once that the elite dont even want issan as part of thailand and that they are too thick to vote.

thats the same as america stopping the black vote so the new president doesnt get in.

IF these horrible racist people get in god help los.this country will be owned by chinese in the not so far future.

I fail to see what they hope to achieve by a protest site in Pattaya. The tourists won't have a clue what it's all about, the long term expats won't give a flying duck provided they aren't inconvenienced and most of the locals will care even less.

hel_l, *I* care. USDXTHB has gone from 34.95 to 35.30 in the last week. If PAD-Thai (*) wants to start throwing bombs, maybe it'll break forty by the time I get there!

(*) I keep wondering whether it comes with chicken or shrimp?

Anything more reliable about than the OP's "on local news this morning"....

Any corroboration from any source or specifics of the quoted "source"?

Try this - http://pattayaone.net/news/2008/november/news_21_11_51.shtml

I understand the Mayor was out of town last week, but I suspect the demonstrators were told in no uncertain terms what would happen if they DID set up a permanent stage here, with revenues to the BIB and City Hall in freefall already. At any rate nothing further seems to have happened in Pattaya in terms of them setting up permanently.

hel_l, *I* care. USDXTHB has gone from 34.95 to 35.30 in the last week. If PAD-Thai (*) wants to start throwing bombs, maybe it'll break forty by the time I get there!

It's an insignificant increase considering what's going on here.

I understand the Mayor was out of town last week, but I suspect the demonstrators were told in no uncertain terms what would happen if they DID set up a permanent stage here, with revenues to the BIB and City Hall in freefall already. At any rate nothing further seems to have happened in Pattaya in terms of them setting up permanently.

Thanks for the link. For future reference, it would be good to include a source like that in your OP.

So they organized a demonstration, held the demonstration, and then moved on. Do you have any corroboration of your claim that they wanted to set up a permanent stage OR that ANYONE told them not to do so?

Thanks for the link. For future reference, it would be good to include a source like that in your OP.

So they organized a demonstration, held the demonstration, and then moved on. Do you have any corroboration of your claim that they wanted to set up a permanent stage OR that ANYONE told them not to do so?

Geewizz srj, what's with all these demands for corroborating evidence of the next great Pattaya non-event?

Edited by NanLaew

Geewizz srj, what's with all these demands for corroborating evidence of the next great Pattaya non-event?

Asking is not demanding... and providing amplifying or corroborative information lends credence to claims.

For future reference, it would be good to include a source like that in your OP.

Jesus - I'm a lawyer but this seems ridiculous on this site:

1. Thanks for the suggestion about including sources in posts, however this report probably wasn't even written when I posted. You could have found this yourself with a simple trawl of local media anyway.

2. Corroboration of permanent stage claim - no, except what I was told by someone in the local media who covered the event.

3. Corroboration of PAD being told NOT to set it up - as I say in my post, "I SUSPECT", which generally denotes uncorroborated speculation.

Saturday evening, around 6.45 we saw a whole bunch of them sitting on the steps and the forecourt of Mikes, beach road end, with a van with loudspeaker speeches, all in Thai so no clue as to what was being said, we nipped up artist street to 2nd road rather than pass them. Appeared to be quite low key though, but it was earlyish, for here anyways.

Saturday evening, around 6.45 we saw a whole bunch of them sitting on the steps and the forecourt of Mikes, beach road end, with a van with loudspeaker speeches, all in Thai so no clue as to what was being said, we nipped up artist street to 2nd road rather than pass them. Appeared to be quite low key though, but it was earlyish, for here anyways.

Saturday? And now it's Friday (or D-Day +2 on Chamlongs ever sliding revolutionary calendar) so we can take it that PAD Pattaya Chapter are pretty inactive.

First, PAD is sighted in Pattaya, what's to follow, bombs going off around Pattaya as has happened in Bangkok? Just thinking about this though, maybe if we're lucky, tourism will go to pot this year, foreign currencies will increase in value against the baht and those of us who live here permanently will experience a better quality of life.

NOTE TO MODERATORS - Is it not possible for you to edit my sub-heading to substitute the date it was written - 21 November? Otherwise this looks misleading and in these troubled times that's not helpful. I thought the thread would have died by now, but events in Bangkok keep it topical, perhaps as well as the (accurate when written, now misleading) subheading.

If not, all readers please note - this thread was started a week ago, on Friday 21st November and nothing further developed in Pattaya.

In fact Pattaya may actually benefit twofold from PAD's efforts, with U Tapao now operating as Thailand's main airport, and I suspect even after this mess, Thai planners (an oxymoron?) may wish to further upgrade the airport and its capacity, which will benefit Pattaya and the region, and also many of the thousands of stranded tourists are being sent to Pattaya, which will deliver a much-needed short term boost to businesses here like hotels restaurants and bars.

Edited by APMann

BTW,

if you want a government that has stated that they are trying to stop issan folk voiting and it has been said more than once that the elite dont even want issan as part of thailand and that they are too thick to vote.

thats the same as america stopping the black vote so the new president doesnt get in.

IF these horrible racist people get in god help los.this country will be owned by chinese in the not so far future.

It already is...that's the problem...they're trying to cling on to the power they have.

• 7 months later...