The Stranglehold Of Tuk-tuk Operators On Karon Beach

chub

I live in Singapore (perhaps that’s why I am so critical of the transport situation in Phuket) but I’m a frequent visitor to Karon where I find the stranglehold on transport and beach-side facilities by the tuk-tuk operators and their ‘black taxi’ friends so intolerable.

The beach strip in Karon extends just over one kilometre south from Karon Circle on Karon Beach Road. Within that kilometre there are now seven ‘taxi, tuk-tuk stations’ occupying all the public beach shelters as well as several makeshift huts. The number keeps increasing. Illegal connections to street lamps and fire hydrants supply electricity and water. Up to a dozen people occupy the bigger stations from 8am – 8pm and they have established open toilets among the trees. After 8pm the tuk-tuks (but few of the black taxis) join the hundreds of tuk-tuks jamming the streets of Patong looking for business.

The purposes of the tuk-tuk stations are: (i) to divide the tourist strip into monopolies, almost one for each hotel (ii) to harass passing tourists (iii) to threaten the driver of any vehicle parking in or near the monopolised spaces (iv) to ensure that no other operators (such as metered taxis, motorcycle taxis, any tuk-tuks and unlicensed taxis not affiliated to their gang) pick up passengers. Gang members have a roster to divide the trips.

51 yellow boxes, marked ‘Tuk-Tuk Only’ in English have been marked on the road, taking up almost half the available curb space. Orange cones have also been placed. The vehicles occupying the reserved spaces this morning were: 11 tuk-tuks (10 licensed with yellow plates and one licensed as a private car with white plates), 4 ‘Coaster’ minibuses, 19 private cars (white plates) many with a paper ‘taxi’ sign and including two hire cars (green plates).

Most of the vehicles offered for hire from the tuk-tuk stands are private cars (also called ‘black taxis’). The ‘black taxis’ obviously share the spaces at the invitation of the ‘strongman’ in each station, no doubt for a fee. The ‘black taxis’ are highly visible and are obviously immune from action by the police or licensing authority. It is likely that the police are directly involved as drivers or owners as well as collecting their usual levy on illegal businesses.

Although the purpose of the monopolies is to deny tourists access to any alternative means of transport and thereby to charge exorbitant fares, the monopoly system doesn’t work in the tuk-tuk operators interests. When a tuk-tuk drops a passenger, they have to return empty to their home stand and face a long wait for their turn in the roster. The wait can be long wait as there are so many black taxis in the queue. Tuk-tuks will be prevented by other gangs from picking up a passenger from most points en-route. Also, it is obvious to most tourists that they are being exploited and most prefer to rent a motorcycle and risk death and injury rather than deal with the ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ attitude of the tuk-tuk operators. You can rent a bike for a week for the cost of one round-trip (400 baht each way for 6kms) to Patong.

None of this is in the public interest and is highly detrimental to the tourist trade and the environment of Karon.

I live in Singapore (perhaps that's why I am so critical of the transport situation in Phuket) but I'm a frequent visitor to Karon where I find the stranglehold on transport and beach-side facilities by the tuk-tuk operators and their 'black taxi' friends so intolerable.

OP I hope you feel better getting this off your chest (what's up with the font, do you wear glasses?) but sorry to say it's been like this a long time and it isn't going to change any time soon.

Like you say rent a car or a bike and tell those guys to piss off.

Tuk-Tuk mafia is cancer of Phuket society. As another poster mentioned, this should be submitted to media.

I don't think we'll ever see any changes. When metered taxis were introduced, I thought things might turn to better, but to no avail.

I don't use tuk-tuk or black taxi or any of that shit but I am embarrased before my friends and relatives who come to visit Phuket and see this outrageous behaviour.

I agree, they are an eye sore to the island. But i do find some use for them, when going on my trips to patong from Rawai , to get floor licking drunk with my friends, I would like to think your safer in a tuk tuk then on your motor bike . TIT you never know, driver may be drunker then me!? :o

It has always been this way thats true.

If people in this day and age are stupid enough to give them money, they will always be here as well.

You should see "The great wall of Patong" in a morning. 3km of nose to tail tuk tuks with no customers. So tightly packed that you cannot get from the path to the beach in some parts. Must be a lot of people NOT using em or they would be running round with punters in the back.

Aggressive, rude, bullying, bone idle and only able to operate in a gang. This is what makes us westerners so attractive to Thai women. Well maybe a bit of the folding stuff helps :o But just look at the alternative.

Every cloud as they say.

It has always been this way thats true.

If people in this day and age are stupid enough to give them money, they will always be here as well.

You should see "The great wall of Patong" in a morning. 3km of nose to tail tuk tuks with no customers. So tightly packed that you cannot get from the path to the beach in some parts. Must be a lot of people NOT using em or they would be running round with punters in the back.

Aggressive, rude, bullying, bone idle and only able to operate in a gang. This is what makes us westerners so attractive to Thai women. Well maybe a bit of the folding stuff helps :o But just look at the alternative.

Every cloud as they say.

Perhaps some form of LETS system for expats in phuket - eg 1 night sober driving = 3 nights drunk and taxis home?

Maybe some Thai truck driver will snap and borrow an extra large CAT with a big blade and drive through the streets clearing them of the demons.

#22 of my secret fantasies.

i spoke with a GM of a large chain and he said they would not allow him to offer free transport to his guest?????? He fought them for as long as he could but his staff finally refussed for fear of their own saftey.

Good original post on an oft discussed subject.

It does seem that Karon and Kata (exactly the same there, except even more annoying on the narrow road close to Dino Park) are completely controlled by the tuk tuk and illegal taxis.

At least in Patong there are motorbike taxis but not in Karon and Kata which is a real pain for those of us that can't ride a bike without falling off (me).

If I do take a tuk tuk I hail one on the street where you can usually get the price down, unlike in the 'official ranks' where they have to stick to the approved pricing.

Maybe some Thai truck driver will snap and borrow an extra large CAT with a big blade and drive through the streets clearing them of the demons.

In San Diego, California a couple years back a whacked out marine went AWOL with a tank (I don't think a Sherman, so he's not a Sherman tank yank, ha, ha) and drove it on the streets of San Diego just crushing the sh*t out of all the parked cars.

That's my fantasy, rolling a tank over all those <deleted> tuk-tuks.

In San Diego, California a couple years back a whacked out marine went AWOL with a tank (I don't think a Sherman, so he's not a Sherman tank yank, ha, ha) and drove it on the streets of San Diego just crushing the sh*t out of all the parked cars.

That's my fantasy, rolling a tank over all those <deleted> tuk-tuks.

Yes, I've seen a TV clip of that tank crushing cars, even RV, lighting'phone poles. I've often wished to do that along Patong beach road, preferably with the Tuk Tuk drivers still in the cab.

Gentlemen, more than a few of these threads would suggest some sort of genocide, regarding this section of hardworking, honest and upright citizens, the Tuk-Tuk pond life. :D

I couldn't agree more, but feel that the big problem is lack of self-esteem with these wee brown folk. I suggest that they each be given a badge and a whistle, played hypnotic music (ala Pied Piper of Hamlin) and marched off the cliffs at the southern part of the Island. This would be a green and humane method that would even get the nod from the comfortable shoe squad, and cause less mess. :o

Edited by billythehat

Billythehat, while your dream is certainly better than mine it fails to account for the environmental impact. It's bad enough raw sewage ends up in the Patong beach waters (where unsuspecting tourists frolic, splashing themselves with eau de kaka), but dumping so much toxic waste into the ocean at once could result in a massive fish kill.

It's obvious that the police and government officials can't and/or won't do anything about the tuk tuk mafia. They've become much too powerful. My guess is that it probably started out small with a steady stream of bribes, growing over time to include intimidation, etc. Dealing with problems like this and the related corruption before it grows into something big and ugly just doesn't seem to be standard operating procedure here. It seems to me that the only way their power over the police and government would be broken would be if they had no money. That is, if it were somehow no longer financially viable to drive a tuk tuk for a living, a good bit of the problem might just go away. (Not that these thugs wouldn't move on to target some other tourist-related trade).

I think that if tourists knew the facts about the tuk tuk mafia, the majority would think twice about contributing to its existence. Of course there will always be some number of holiday makers who are just too lazy to walk a few blocks, and at the present time, there aren't many other options for trips of a couple km, up the steep hillsides, or between villages for tourists.

Some sort of public awareness campaign would be a step in the right direction, but I wouldn't count on the Phuket Gazette, MyPhuket magazine or any of the tourist-oriented websites to make the first move.

It's obvious that the police and government officials can't and/or won't do anything about the tuk tuk mafia. They've become much too powerful.

At some point in time all businesses here either are organized crime (mafia) or use them, or have to pay them.

It's not just the Tuk-tuk trade folks.

We choose to live/visit/vacation here we play by the Thai rules which are quite old and a foreigner might not ever grasp the nuances.

OP it's here to stay, wanking about it won't change a thing.

Billythehat, while your dream is certainly better than mine it fails to account for the environmental impact. It's bad enough raw sewage ends up in the Patong beach waters (where unsuspecting tourists frolic, splashing themselves with eau de kaka), but dumping so much toxic waste into the ocean at once could result in a massive fish kill.

Good point, but ya gotta crack a few eggs to make an omlette. :o

Though, I agree that the Tuk-tuk drivers whole-heartedly deserve their reputation, there are many, many that are good people.

On the rare occasion that I've had to use a tuk-tuk (once a year), I've met good guys, sometimes wife and kid in tow.

As has been mentioned, you can see rows and rows of empty tuk-tuks. That's because there are more every year.

Hardly any of these tuk-tuks are owned, they are rented.

There is a Thai Mr. Big who owns several hotels on the island. He has the monopoly for buying, licensing and renting all tuk-tuks. He sets the rent per month. He says who can be, or, not be a tuk-tuk driver.

He would be described in the Thai media as part of those "dark forces" we read about.

Many of the tuk-tuk drivers are just trying to make a decent living. The outrageous prices we suffer is a direct consequence of the high monthly rent that the tuk-tuk drivers themselves have to pay to Mr. Big.

Mr. Big has been increasing the fleet every year which has now resulted in everyone getting a smaller slice of pie.

Phuket Town tuk-tuks, especially belonging to the old boys, are great. They own their tuk-tuks and consequently, the prices are sensible and they're very easy going.

Patong tuk-tuk drivers are a mixed bunch, some good and a lot of bad.

Kata / Karon are scum of the earth without exception.

Rather than competeing with something that is already in place, use it to your advantage.

The transportation industry in Phuket has to be run like this. It is a nice system, but within that system there are flaws.

Could you imagine if the Tuk Tuk situation was every Tukky for himself? Picture it? I never take those roach coaches, and would never support them with 1 satang.

But, if they were not organized, this place would be the wild freggin west. They have there areas, and they protect them with harsh penalties. I like it. If you just avoid them, they never bother you.

If one asks "Hey falang, You need Tuk-Tuk". The absolute best answer is "NO, Thank You!!"

Works every time. If you want something to complain about, Let's complain about the tragic, horrible, over-priced farang food and restaurants. And leave the Thai's alone. Complaining about the Thai's is stupid, because they will never change.

~a~

:D If my doctor ever tells me I have but a short time to live... those tuk-tuk guys had better watch out. :o

...These issues should be sent to the press. Just my opinion....

My thoughts too. Copy it word for word to: [email protected]

You really think the Phuket gazette doesn't know this already?

You really think that the paper will put their staff in harm's way?

You both really are naive.

Sir Burr Please Read Carefully " to the press".

I was meaning all printed newspapers, not just one particular newspaper.

PS Has anyone else noticed that the OP has taken no further in the discussion they raised ? Makes one wonder. :o

...These issues should be sent to the press. Just my opinion....

My thoughts too. Copy it word for word to: [email protected]

You really think the Phuket gazette doesn't know this already?

You really think that the paper will put their staff in harm's way?

You both really are naive.

You really think that I think the Phuket Gazette doesn't know this already?

You really think that I think that the paper will put their staff in harm's way.

The usual "It'll never happen", "Nothing will ever change", "I give up", "Not worth the effort" type of response from SB.

Do you ever think that maybe you've been here too long?

Its a well known fact, the longer you stay here, you will eventually get a little cynical, But i agree with Mr.burr 100% ,the gazette doesnt have enough room to print that stuff...I play darts from time to time with the main editor, its mind boggling the amount of crime that gets left out of the gazette every issue he said, if they printed all the bad stuff, it would be a very grim paper.

I don't think it is that Big Burr has been here too long.

But I do know that he has seen caped crusaders like yourself come and go.

By all means, why don't you run out and start doing what you are suggesting.

See how far it gets you, and see how long it takes you to see it as Burr does.

Jet Set Bangkok? I would love to know where you came up with that name?

Seriously, nothing will change with these guys. It has to be this way or it would be CHAOS!!!

!a!

"I don't think it is that Big Burr has been here too long.

But I do know that he has seen caped crusaders like yourself come and go.

By all means, why don't you run out and start doing what you are suggesting.

See how far it gets you, and see how long it takes you to see it as Burr does.

Jet Set Bangkok? I would love to know where you came up with that name?

Seriously, nothing will change with these guys. It has to be this way or it would be CHAOS!!!"

Im not sure what that all means...