Is It Just Me Or Is The Internet Shafted?

whiterussian

My TOT GoldCyber international speed has been low for the last two weeks. Can only get 100-200Kbs to New York and usually a little better to the U.S. west coast like San Francisco. My first month or so with TOT gave me very good international speed (around 1700kbs, but as mentioned, the international speed has dropped off significantly starting about two weeks ago. Calls to TOT have resulted in responses like "the international speed should improve soon...we are working on it." Yea, right. I've taken the initial steps to switch Internet providers as TOT just ain't hacking it.

Well I am mightily pssed off as well.

Last week it was flying, now its ground to a halt!

Youtube is nearly impossible to even access! :o

I can bear slow connections but these websites nowadays don't run properly if your connection is slow like here in Thailand.

The screens just freeze and you're left wondering if the Internet is going to even start moving again !

I'm with True and they are pure gomp right now!

Thailand has WAY insufficent international bandwidth. It will only get worse as we all share it.

The biggest 'pipes' come from the governments dear friend, Singapore - Undersea cables.

Don't expect that to improve anytime soon, for various reasons...... :o

Big 10-4 on expecting any significant, consistent improvement anytime soon. This evening my TOT Cybergold is doing OK for international speeds to most U.S. locations, expect New York. While I'm been using Speedtest.net to run my tests I have usually selected New York (east coast) and San Francisco (west coast) as my prime test locations. The New York site has consistently produced slow speed for several weeks while the San Francisco site has varied from slow to fast.

Last night I used one of those web program/sites to enter web sites you may frequent (like CNN.com) to find out where they were located and then I would run a Speedtest.net test to that web cite's city. Cnn.com is located in Atlanta...and one of my banks is located in Dallas. When running Speedtest.net test on Atlanta and Dallas I got 1000Kbps plus speeds. I only mention this because if your neighbor was running the same internet package as you (like TOT Cybergold) but surfed different web sites in different cities than you, then you and your neighbor may have completely different international speed experience (i.e., one good, one bad). But with how the internet being one big sipderweb with links going all over creaton, I think all of this still boils down to Thailand's international bandwidth generally being low which causes many of the gripes. A person needs to get with a ISP provider that has good international bandwidth through the govt CAT servers.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've taken steps to switch from TOT. Just as FYI, I'm switching to the JI-NET BixConnect package which is the only JI-NET package available to my TOT number---and no, I'm not on JI-NET's payroll; it's just my research to date indicates I should get much, much better and consistent international speed. But the truth will be in the pudding after I complete the switch and have been with JI-NET for a few months. I did notice on CAT's internet map that JI-NET does "appear" to have be have high capacity international bandwidth lines..and JI-NET does advertise a 10 to 1 user ratios versus the 50 to 1 TOT user ratio. Wish me luck on my switch...getting good international speed shouldn't be this hard (or costly).

P.S. Just saw on TV that TOT has a new DSL internet promotion for 1MB at 590 Baht per month and I think it includes 300 baht in calling credits. Gosh, that should bog down their international speed even more as more subscribers sign up. But hey, it's all business and a large customer base means more profit...maybe TOT will raise their DSL user ratio to 100 to 1. :D

Yes.The Internet has been very slow the last two days. I have both True and Loxinfo DSL and both are very slow. Torrents a week ago would download at 500 Kbs. Now the Torrents barely even download now they go 2 KBs. Maybe it has something to do with the situation going on in Thailand. I don't know but it is very slow.