How Much Medical Cover Do You Have ?

torrenova

I, as a single male, am considering LMG maxicare plan but their lifetime limit is 20,000,000 baht or under $600k US.

Although I have been in the best of health all my life, if one were to have several catastrophic health problems in the future, could that cap be easily blown using the better hospitals, given the rise in health cost in Thailand.

would have thought 5000000baht would do it.

We Belgians have something nice called "Overseas Social Security Office" (or DOSZ - OSSOM) Strange enough, many expat's don't know about it and keep on paying for these silly health insurances.

In a nutshell, it works like this : In Belgium, we have a very good social security system. If you move to another country, you can voluntarily choose to stay in this system and continue to pay premiums. You will later receive a retirement pension, and your (and your family's) medical costs are covered for 75% of the paid amount (no limit). After retirement age, you stop paying premiums but will still be insured for the rest of your life.

The current cost for this is 127 euro/month per family. Including the "retirement pension part" and some additional insurances, I pay in total around 400 euro/month.

Opps..you call that nice? :o For the average Scandinavian that daylight robbery. My insurance cost 9000 baht/year and covers medical expenses 100% up to 10 million bath, excess 6000 baht. That insurance also covers theft up to 250 000 baht and legal protection up to 500 000 baht. (Single person).

That sounds too good to be true :D Can you please give a bit more information about this ?

Sure I can. I have that insurance with Läsförsäkringar. But most Swedish insurance companies offer similar deals. The theftcover have it´s flaws, the usual BS i. e coverage X% of the price stated on presented receipt depending on the age of the stolen/broken item.

Sure I can. I have that insurance with Läsförsäkringar. But most Swedish insurance companies offer similar deals. The theftcover have it´s flaws, the usual BS i. e coverage X% of the price stated on presented receipt depending on the age of the stolen/broken item.

Thanks ! Unfortunately, the only information I can find is in Swedish :o

Are you sure this is not an additional insurance to the Swedish Social Security ? In Belgium, I had something like that ("hospitalisatieverzekering')- it covered the difference between the real hospital costs and what was covered by the government. Not longer living in Belgium, I have to pay for the much more expensive "expat insurance".

I, as a single male, am considering LMG maxicare plan but their lifetime limit is 20,000,000 baht or under $600k US.

Although I have been in the best of health all my life, if one were to have several catastrophic health problems in the future, could that cap be easily blown using the better hospitals, given the rise in health cost in Thailand.

Are you saying you would be happy with a maximum lifetime limit of 5,000,000 baht for the rest of your life within one insurance plan or are you confusing that amount to an annual limit?

There seems to be allot of confusion here.

With the LMG plans, you can have either a 20m Baht or 80m Baht Life Lime Limit.

Thai Visa Insurance.

Thanks but I am not confused. I know what LMG offers, I just didn't mention the 80m option. I was trying get some opinions from people here if 20m baht lifetime max would be more than enough in Thailand especially with the continuing rise in health cost. The 80m baht option is a lot more than I need. 40m to 50m baht would have been perfect

Errrrrr...

Sorry to ask this, but what are the LMG plans?

I'm now totaly confused... though I thought some times ago that AXA has good health care plans.

And, no offence, but I feel the TVInsurance site is not so clear about detailed plans. I quickly "fall down" on the "general" quote form... or maybe it's me :o

Gobs

Errrrrr...

Sorry to ask this, but what are the LMG plans?

I'm now totaly confused... though I thought some times ago that AXA has good health care plans.

And, no offence, but I feel the TVInsurance site is not so clear about detailed plans. I quickly "fall down" on the "general" quote form... or maybe it's me :o

Gobs

you can download their plans here

There seems to be allot of confusion here.

With the LMG plans, you can have either a 20m Baht or 80m Baht Life Lime Limit.

Thai Visa Insurance.

Thanks but I am not confused. I know what LMG offers, I just didn't mention the 80m option. I was trying get some opinions from people here if 20m baht lifetime max would be more than enough in Thailand especially with the continuing rise in health cost. The 80m baht option is a lot more than I need. 40m to 50m baht would have been perfect

Sorry, we cannot offer the 40 / 50m Baht coverage at present, the nearest being US$1m – approx 34m Baht – from a different company.

Are you saying you would be happy with a maximum lifetime limit of 5,000,000 baht for the rest of your life within one insurance plan or are you confusing that amount to an annual limit?

yes annually.

yes annually.

I would also be comfortable with LMG's maxicare 5m baht annual limit. I was referring to their maxicare 20m baht lifetime limit and whether it would be enough over an additional 30 years of living here in Thailand in the event that one were to face several catastrophic medical life threatening problems.

Thanks for the link Vagabond...

Though I'm married, I feel same you: never got a health problem through 56 years of life, but I feel it's time (or age...) to look for something offering a good and "right" cover...

Though I have a good amount of savings (through my point of view, hey!) back home, I'm not ready to use them as a health care provider...

Uhuh's post (? 26) gives interesting quotations if his inputs are right. In this case, maybe a 2 MB yearly cover would be OK for each one of us, my wife and I. And let's say something like 15 or 20 MB lifetime...

Mmmmmmmmh, not easy to make a "right or good" choice...

Cheers,

Gobs

Ive got the Bupa Thailand Platinium Package 5 million coverage, it was just under 80K for me the wife and my son, and im so glad I did.

Ive been here for 3 years and not bothered (stupid thing to do), but after my boy was born I thought I should do it, well im so glad I did, my son was ill over xmas and at the same time I had and accident and needed an operation on my shoulder, we used Bangkok hostpital on recommendation,

The total cost for my son, 7 nights, and meds 112K, for me operation on the shoulder , too nights standard room, 265K,

My first thought when I saw the bill was bloodyhell thats allot more than I expected plus I need to see if I can up insurance level for next year as 5 million could go very quickly If we had something serious that envloved a long term stay or operation etc, also to find another hospital good hospital that is more reasonable on cost, just in case. But I must say though,

The Bupa Office in Hua Hin were really great, the wife called up just to check on our coverage and they were very very helpful, I ended up paying 600 THB, for a few misc items but apart from that it was all covered, Bupa did me proud (thanks)

Anyway, thats was my experience Im sure a few lesson to be learnt.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Goodhealth coverage

I pay around 50k per year

I now have a back problem, which needs an operation This was a pre-existing condition which they say they cover after two years without problems.

The hospital sent them the estimated cost (550k) together with the file. Answer is that they guarantee 600k first, and if any more is needed, they just need to receive details from hospital. I will be in hospital monday for the operation

I can only be satisfied

add operation cost: some broken bones several 100000 B, a heart operation around 500000, cath lab a bit less

that's not an operation but the cost for a simple catheter with 2 stents in a top BKK hospital. the cost estimate for my open heart surgery (quadruple bypass) in Phyathai Hospital was 2.8 million Baht. i had it done in Germany and my total cost (including 2 weeks in a rehab-clinic) in EURo was the equivalent of 3.75 million Baht.

I just don't know what people can get for 2000B per month.

To compare insurances, see how policy like this would cost you. This is from mine.

(have a look at the last item, some would settle for that only!):

(% says how much you pay):

AMBULANCE - GROUND AND AIR 0%

ACUPUNCTURE 0%

ADULT PREVENTIVE: ADULT ROUTINE IMMUNIZATIONS 0%

ADULT PREVENTIVE: ROUTINE PHYSICAL EXAM 0%

CANCER SCREENING: ROUTINE LEAD, MAMMOGRAM, PAP, PSA, COLORECTAL SCREENING 0%

CARDIAC THERAPY 0% CHEMOTHERAPY & RADIATION - INPATIENT & OUTPATIENT 0%

CHILD PREVENTIVE CARE: AGE 1 THRU 6 0%

CHILD PREVENTIVE CARE: AGE 7 THRU 17 0%

CHILD PREVENTIVE CARE: BIRTH TO AGE 1 0%

CHILD PREVENTIVE IMMUNIZATIONS: DELAWARE MANDATED 0%

CHIROPRACTOR 0%

DENTAL: BASIC RESTORATIVE, ENDODONTICS, PERIODONTICS, ORAL SURGERY 20%

DENTAL: DIAGNOSTIC GENERAL/PREVENTIVE, X-RAYS 0%

DENTAL: MAJOR RESTORATIVE, PROSTHODONTICS 50%

DENTAL: ORTHODONTICS 50%

DIAGNOSTIC X-RAY 0%

DIAGNOSTIC LAB 0%

DIALYSIS 0%

DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT 0%

HOME HEALTH CARE 0%

HOSPICE 0%

HOSPITAL/FACILITY - INPATIENT ROOM & BOARD, ANCILLARIES 0%

HOSPITAL/FACILITY - OUTPATIENT ACCIDENT 0%

HOSPITAL/FACILITY - OUTPATIENT SICKNESS 0%

HOSPITAL/FACILITY - OUTPATIENT SURGERY, BIRTHING CENTER 0%

INFERTILITY 0%

INFUSION THERAPY 0%

MEDICAL - PHYSICIAN VISIT/ATTENDANCE 0%

NEWBORN - ROUTINE NURSERY 0%

ORTHOTICS 0%

PRE-ADMISSION TESTING 0%

PRESCRIPTION DRUGS 0%

PROSTHETICS 0%

PSYCH/ALCOHOL/DRUG - INPATIENT PHYSICIAN ATTENDANCE 0%

PSYCH/ALCOHOL/DRUG - INPATIENT ROOM & BOARD, ANCILLARIES 0%

PSYCH/ALCOHOL/DRUG - OUTPATIENT TREATMENT 0%

SKILLED NURSING FACILITY 0%

SURGERY/ANESTHESIA 0%

THERAPY: OCCUPATIONAL, PHYSICAL, SPEECH, PHYSIOTHERAPY 0%

TMJ 0%

VISITING NURSE 0%

• 3 months later...
I have Goodhealth coverage

I pay around 50k per year

I now have a back problem, which needs an operation This was a pre-existing condition which they say they cover after two years without problems.

The hospital sent them the estimated cost (550k) together with the file. Answer is that they guarantee 600k first, and if any more is needed, they just need to receive details from hospital. I will be in hospital monday for the operation

I can only be satisfied

I'm also with Goodhealth, GBP1m per year, covers the world ex-USA/Canada. Likely to be adequate for almost any eventuality I would have thought. Paying c.US$1,400 a year.