Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The citizens of this country have the RIGHT to protest against what they perceive as a corrupt, nepotism infected government, the is the defacto product of a convicted and corrupt politician Thaskin Shinnawat.

No one argues about their right to protest but why don't they do it at Sanam Luang or Chatuchak?

I'm not convinced that Khun Thaksin was corrupt. He took chances to become rich (who doesn't want?). He stopped giving money to some people who requested from him for good. Now is the revenge time.

You better do a search through the treads today for a link to an article from Singapore....it pretty well tell the whole story from an unbiased point of view....however it is pretty close to violating some rules of this board, so I will decline to link it.

(It appeared mid day today in another thread under news items)

I think any reservation you might have about the guilty or not of Mr Thaskin will be well answered.

To give you some idea of how these protests are affecting the ordinary foreign tourist, I am just back at my computer after spending the majority of the past 2 days at Phuket Airport, - in my role as a volunteer Tourist Police officer.

Of course, Phuket Airport is open! But the airport is chaotic, both due to the closure of BKK airports and the lack of available flights/seats back to European airports or to KL and Singapore.

There are thousands of stranded tourists, some who have exhausted their funds, some who are old and some with tired children - all trying to get out of Thailand and back to their homes.

Maybe you say 'what's a little delay for them? so what - this is all about fighting for democracy in Thailand etc etc blah blah blah'

The point is - when and if PAD achieves what they purport to be fighting for, there won't be much left to savour!

Do you really think that any of these tourists will return to Thailand in the future? Of course views are biased and tempers short right now. But in 6 months from now, when foreign tourists are planning their long holidays, do you think that Thailand will be on the list as a holiday destination? Dream on!!

By all mean hold peaceful demonstrations. But PAD seems to have totally lost the plot. Their actions will ultimately and detrimentally affect thousands of Thai businesses who operate in the tourism sector.

Don't believe me? Come and talk to the tourists at Phuket Airport who have vowed never to return to Thailand :o:(:D

Simon

I just had several friends from the US cancell their visit, they will go to Cost Rica instead.

What I really don't understand is those of you who support people who are willing to damage their country fighting for which crook will rule them next.

I just can't see how any of the potential leaders of Thailand (the ones I know about) will make much difference for regular folk. The only real difference and damage is the one that is being inflicted currently to the country.

hungryhippo: Are you serious? If any group of politically motivated people were allowed to shut down a major international airport we would be living in the cave ages. How about allowing them to shut down electricity for us all? I mean, we can still use candles. In any case, calling someone a hypocrite because they don't think that leaving a country on a canoe is reasonable, doesn't seem very reasonable to me.

What has this got to do with nicktraveller's claim that the PAD have violated travellers human rights?

You're talking about possibilities which haven't happened, why are you doing that?

Ed: I called him a hypocrite because he said he doesn't like people mixing truth and lies yet he was doing it himself with his claims of human rights abuses.

Edited by hungryhippo

Here in China the Chinese ask me about (my ten years in) Thailand. I tell the Chinese that the Thais are incompetent, inept, disorganized; that Thais cannot transition from the Old Word to the New World--that Thais simply can't quit their antiquated and decrepit ways.

The Chinese regard the Thais as fools. They're just not sure how the Thais got that way or why, especially to the present extent of being incapable of governing themselves or of organizing their society. So I'm more than willing to discuss it.

I'd say that eccentric, egocentric ethnocentrism is a good starting point.

Look who's calling the kettle black. The Chinese have a whole heck of a lot of police actions that could turn their faces as red as their flag. Tiennamin Square for one. Lhasa is another. Not too long ago, the full force of the Chinese military in Beijing (Peking) couldn't run a relative handful of farang out of a brick building in the center of the city. The farang hung tough through a week of assaults, until they were rescued by a small contingent of US marines who rode through 1,000 miles of China to rescue the besieged.

As for undoing the take over of SUV airport: If I were in charge (yes, I'm an armchair quarterback), I'd get schematics of the buildings, and use all the resources and experts and wit at my disposal. If that weren't good enough, I'd get the Iraeli special forces to do the job - they did a stellar job at Entebbe.

Whilst appreciating points made herein, I do recall my personal experiences crossing, or not, the Channel, when the transport workers, apparently predominantly French truckers, would blockade Le Harve and the Normandy ports often to bring pressure for their local political issues. The police there often seemed loath to proactively deal with this interruption to commerce and passengers either.

Just a thought/memory.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

The only reasonable thing besides being political etc is that the Thais themselves did not kill the chicken who lays the golden eggs ... they slaughtered it . The so called "elite" Thais who actually believe in the 6% GDP coming from tourism think that this is nothing to worry about . 1 year from now millions of Thais will have no jobs , a lot less life quality and nowhere to go to . Strange thing is , that the majority of Thais supporting the PAD is from the south of Thailand where all the tourists are . They might be thinking because they got a shop for caterig to Thais only that they are not harmed in any effect but who are the Thais buying their goods and where do they get the money from .... Not to be provocative but many Thai people are soooo short sighted that they do not realise how economy really works . If they are very lucky then maybe end of 2009 there will be some farangs again but since they slaughtered the chicken it will take long long long time to have a new one coming along ... if it will come because Vietnam and Cambodia are allready growin their own species with the same nature ...

PM: People should not to support criminals

Prime Minister and Defence Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Saturday asked the general public not to support criminals who laid siege to Suvarnabhumi airport because the country could be left isolated. However, Mr Somchai said he was ready to negotiate with the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Chamlong Srimuang.

On the United Front for Democracy Against the Dictatorship (UDD)'s rally on Sunday, the premier said the pro-government group had never violated the law since its supporters peacefully returned home after each gathering.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

One million to be unemployed from Suvarnabhumi closure

Deputy Prime Minister for economics Olarn Chaipravat said the government may have to pay about one billion baht to about 500,000 stranded Thais and foreigners at Suvarnabhumi airport, or about 2,000 baht per person a day.

Because Suvarnabhumi airport was under siege by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), more unemployment in the tourism sector would arise because the number of tourist arrivals next year would plunge, according to Mr Olarn.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Whilst appreciating points made herein, I do recall my personal experiences crossing, or not, the Channel, when the transport workers, apparently predominantly French truckers, would blockade Le Harve and the Normandy ports often to bring pressure for their local political issues. The police there often seemed loath to proactively deal with this interruption to commerce and passengers either.

Just a thought/memory.

Regards

/edit typo//

Yeah, I've lived in France a while and experienced the french style of protests, which often involves unrelated people. I don't really appreciate that either. I've not seen them take over an airport in Paris, though.

I believe in democracy, but like I said, the rights of one individual finish at the place where the rights of another individual begin. To trample on the rights of others to demand your own rights is not only a contradiction in terms but also a very selfish thing to do.

Rubbish, since when was it a human rights violation to stop you boarding a flight? Go back to Fourmod's wonderland.

UN universal declaration of human rights.

Article 13.

• (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
    (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
    Source: United nations website /Overview/rights.html

Really, with just a little google search you could have found that. In most countries its just simply called "Freedom of movement".

I get annoyed by people stating their feelings/beliefs as if they were facts. Just because you "feel" something is true, it doesn't make it true.

No one is preventing anyone from leaving or entering the country... Just the selected airports. And your restriction of freedom of movement and residence is a total stretch.

Is that a FACT ? No one is prevented from leaving the country ONLY AT SELECTED AIRPORTS , tourist have been placed in accomodation NOT OF THEIR CHOICE , tourists have tickets to their home country THAT ARE RESTRICTED FOR USE AT THIS TIME ad finitum .

PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang has urged PAD supporters who are travelling from various provinces of Thailand to join the rally at Government House instead of Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Chamlong Srimuang explained that the police have set up barricades and checkpoints to prevent more PAD protesters from joining those who are gathering at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports. He's urged the protesters to join their fellow PAD supporters at Government House. The PAD leader said more supporters are needed at the government seat to ensure that police will not disperse the protesters there.

Chamlong also added that the People's Alliance for Democracy is willing to negotiate with the government but it must be done face to face and not via telephone.

The Royal Thai police are a joke!!!! They went in to remove the PAD from Suvarnabhumi and what happened, the PAD ended up raiding the police trucks and taking their riot gear. The Thai police force is going to be the laughing stock if the law enforcement community if they can't control the situation. We need to get Batman to take of the PAD, atleast he won't back down hahaha.

Oh Somchai should just quit, he freaking ego is just making the situtaion worse, he obviously has no control of our country which is in chaos now.

The Thai Police Force is going to be the laughing stock of the law enforcement community? Hah! Who says it hasn't been that for...well, for a thousand years.

Here in China the Chinese ask me about (my ten years in) Thailand. I tell the Chinese that the Thais are incompetent, inept, disorganized; that Thais cannot transition from the Old Word to the New World--that Thais simply can't quit their antiquated and decrepit ways.

The Chinese regard the Thais as fools. They're just not sure how the Thais got that way or why, especially to the present extent of being incapable of governing themselves or of organizing their society. So I'm more than willing to discuss it.

Come on, are you serious?

You have no business even commenting on this forum. You should be banned.

Bus loads of police left Sisaket in a large convoy, heading for Bkk, this morning. If this is happening through throughout the region, there should be a massive police pesence in the city by tomorrow.

The government may be trying to bring police in that it can control. Or is it Salang Bunnag time or will they don red shirts and move to Sanam Luang

No one is preventing anyone from leaving or entering the country... Just the selected airports. And your restriction of freedom of movement and residence is a total stretch.

Is that a FACT ? No one is prevented from leaving the country ONLY AT SELECTED AIRPORTS , tourist have been placed in accomodation NOT OF THEIR CHOICE , tourists have tickets to their home country THAT ARE RESTRICTED FOR USE AT THIS TIME ad finitum .

Ha. We can argue semantics back and forth... I am just stating there is no violation of Article 13. "They" can leave. "They" are placed in accomodations at their choice - no one chained them to the hotel. And if you want to stretch it even more - it is the tickets that have the problems - temporarily - and can be resolved later.

Look who's calling the kettle black. The Chinese have a whole heck of a lot of police actions that could turn their faces as red as their flag. Tiennamin Square for one. Lhasa is another. Not too long ago, the full force of the Chinese military in Beijing (Peking) couldn't run a relative handful of farang out of a brick building in the center of the city. The farang hung tough through a week of assaults, until they were rescued by a small contingent of US marines who rode through 1,000 miles of China to rescue the besieged.

As for undoing the take over of SUV airport: If I were in charge (yes, I'm an armchair quarterback), I'd get schematics of the buildings, and use all the resources and experts and wit at my disposal. If that weren't good enough, I'd get the Iraeli special forces to do the job - they did a stellar job at Entebbe.

Yeh but they wern't so smart in Munich or Mumbai !!!

Top police officers meet to discus Bangkok airport seizure situation

Acting national police chief assigned a deputy police commissioner-general to hold an urgent meeting of top police officers Saturday to discuss the situation of the besieging of Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang Airport.

Pol Gen Viroj Phaholvej chaired the two-hour meeting at the Royal Thai Police headquarters at 10 am.

Top officers, who attended the meeting, included Deputy Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Pansiri Praphawat, Central Investigation Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Worapoj Chiewpreecha, Special Branch Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Thiradej Rodphothong, and representatives from the Provincial Police Bureau 1.

Source: The Nation - 29 November 2008

Ha. We can argue semantics back and forth... I am just stating there is no violation of Article 13. "They" can leave. "They" are placed in accomodations at their choice - no one chained them to the hotel. And if you want to stretch it even more - it is the tickets that have the problems - temporarily - and can be resolved later.

Well, you're right that they can leave. I'm not going to argue any further. In any case it is not up to you and me to argue this, but the International court in the hague, and individual countries courts.

But we can perhaps at least agree that it is a major disruption and an overreaction to the problems here. It's not Burma, after all.

Just a thought/memory.

Regards

/edit typo//

Yeah, I've lived in France a while and experienced the french style of protests, which often involves unrelated people. I don't really appreciate that either. I've not seen them take over an airport in Paris, though.

Oh yes ! Union strikes shutting down airports are common all over Europe. Preferably during the peak holiday season, to give their demand more power. Rings a bell?

Bus loads of police left Sisaket in a large convoy, heading for Bkk, this morning. If this is happening through throughout the region, there should be a massive police pesence in the city by tomorrow.

Why Sisaket?

Sisaket is far away and in Isaan country. Isn't that where the Thaksin loyalists all live?

Maybe that means they will be willing to do something against the yellow shirts.

What's wrong with police forces from neighbouring cities?

If it was so easy to get out why is there so many stories around the world of people who are having trouble leaving? If you have money in your wallet yes you can get out through other means. But some people DONT have the money, some people would be on their last few dollars when they planned to get on those planes. The money the government is paying may be enough to survive to eat and live in Thailand temporarily, but it is NOT necessarily enough to book tickets on flights that are all almost completely sold out from other cities. You are obviously familiar with alternative transport arrangements being a Thai regular but lots of families who are on first trips to Thailand would not be. And it is extremely difficult to move around your family of young children to other cities to try and find ways out with a lot of uncertainty. Novice travellers would be extremely nervous about what is going on and are essentially finding it very difficult to leave. With every hour that goes by thousands more are missing flights. It wont be long before the entire tourist population that is in Thailand has reached the end of their holiday and wants to go home, but there just is NOT the capacity to fly them out. UTapao is NOT set up to be pushing thousands of people per hour out the door.

Well, you're right that they can leave. I'm not going to argue any further. In any case it is not up to you and me to argue this, but the International court in the hague, and individual countries courts.

But we can perhaps at least agree that it is a major disruption and an overreaction to the problems here. It's not Burma, after all.

:o Yes sir we can... It is not a great situation as has become essentially two immovable objects being held in place by unreasonable 'managers' on both sides. Have a great night!

Top police officers meet to discus Bangkok airport seizure situation

Acting national police chief assigned a deputy police commissioner-general to hold an urgent meeting of top police officers Saturday to discuss the situation of the besieging of Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang Airport.

Pol Gen Viroj Phaholvej chaired the two-hour meeting at the Royal Thai Police headquarters at 10 am.

Top officers, who attended the meeting, included Deputy Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Pansiri Praphawat, Central Investigation Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Worapoj Chiewpreecha, Special Branch Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Thiradej Rodphothong, and representatives from the Provincial Police Bureau 1.

Source: The Nation - 29 November 2008

The only thing they probably agreed upon was who could fart the loudest. Pathetic corrupt individuals who only ambition is to see how far they can enter Somchai's back-side.

PM: People should not to support criminals

However, Mr Somchai said he was ready to negotiate with the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Chamlong Srimuang.

On the United Front for Democracy Against the Dictatorship (UDD)'s rally on Sunday, the premier said the pro-government group had never violated the law since its supporters peacefully returned home after each gathering.

The prime minister said he already had a discussion with national army chief Anupong Paojinda, but refused to comment on the details of discussion.

He also remained tight-lipped on the reason why he dismissed Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan as the police commissioner-general.

Well here is one politicians view that differs:

Terdsak Jiamkitwattana, whose father was knifed to death recently by a progovernment crowd, yesterday lunged at two key supporters of the Somchai Wongsawatled administration

"Your folks killed my dad. How could you do this? Now, it's your turn to beware," Terdsak shouted angrily before trying to punch Dr Sant Hathirat and Dr Weng Tochirakarn.

The incident erupted at Parliament House as Sant, who chairs the Democracy Federation, and Weng from the National United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship, were reading a media statement urging people to fight against an attempt to stage a coup.

Sitting alongside Sant and Weng were Government chief whip Wittaya Buranasiri and People Power Party MP Nisit Sintuprai, chair of the House committee on parliamentary affairs

Somchai has stayed in Chiang Mai since he returned from Peru on Wednesday.

Many bloody confrontations between progovernment supporters and antigovernment People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters flared up this week. In one of these confrontations, Terdsak's father was killed in Chiang Mai.

Terdsak is described as a key supporter of PAD in the North. Security guards subdued him and he was sent to a press room.

"I don't take sides with any group. What I am doing is to protect the monarchy," Terdsak said yesterday.

He entered Parliament House to submit a petition to Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn, who chairs the Senate committee on human rights.

Somchai signed documents allowing Terdsak's entry.

According to Terdsak's petition, the progovernment crowds physically attacked him 15 times before killing his father.

"Please investigate these cases. The killing took place in the presence of policemen," Terdsak added.

Terdsak was later sent to Dusit police station for causing havoc in Parliament House.

The photos show the police standing in the crowd of red shirts watching the killing and taking no action.