Marvalous

bartender100

Apart from that, if the hotel is charging their normal rate, no matter how high that is, it has nothing to do with price gouging.

Here we go again Tropo..

Almost everytime I post here, you have to reply to me.. <snip>

Did you see that the hotel offers FREE WIFI INTERNET????????????????

However, for some reason, they are wanting to charge the OP 900 baht for that internet in which they advertise as being free.

<snip>

Edited by soundman

To those how think I'm whinging fine your opinion is what you ask for I post on an internet forum, but actually I'm not, I could not be more happy, you cant wipe the smile of my face, I don't care if they not open the airport till after Christmas.

My job is open for now, without pay I might add, and the weather is great.

But I also run a small internet based business which needs a lot of time, and is my only source of income right now.

Thanks to all those that replied and also thought B900 a day was high in these circumstances

And you have a work permit to carry on this Internet business while you are holed up in Thailand?

I am not getting at you - but here especially on this forum we are constantly bombarded by the politacally correct brigade who would never dream of working in Thailand without a work permit, would never dream of dropping a slip of paper on the sidewalk and God forbid never ever ever dream about participating in any aspect of the prostitution business in Pattaya

Just be warned

You have declared your location

You have declared your status

You have declared you are working

There are some PC tozzers out there who will stiff you - believe me I know

This is a bit OTT and may scare the OP, so let's clarify this. From what he said, the guy is working IN ENGLAND (or wherever) he is not working in Thailand in any sense that would require a worrk permit. He is working FROM Thailand. I run businesses in the UK and Dubai and I am working from Thailand on those businesses every day, but I don't WORK IN THAILAND, and I have no work permit, and do not need one. Nor does he.

To those how think I'm whinging fine your opinion is what you ask for I post on an internet forum, but actually I'm not, I could not be more happy, you cant wipe the smile of my face, I don't care if they not open the airport till after Christmas.

But I also run a small internet based business which needs a lot of time, and is my only source of income right now.

Thanks to all those that replied and also thought B900 a day was high in these circumstances

And you have a work permit to carry on this Internet business while you are holed up in Thailand?

I am not getting at you - but here especially on this forum we are constantly bombarded by the politacally correct brigade who would never dream of working in Thailand without a work permit, would never dream of dropping a slip of paper on the sidewalk and God forbid never ever ever dream about participating in any aspect of the prostitution business in Pattaya

Just be warned

You have declared your location

You have declared your status

You have declared you are working

There are some PC tozzers out there who will stiff you - believe me I know

This is a bit OTT and may scare the OP, so let's clarify this. From what he said, the guy is working IN ENGLAND (or wherever) he is not working in Thailand in any sense that would require a worrk permit. He is working FROM Thailand. I run businesses in the UK and Dubai and I am working from Thailand on those businesses every day, but I don't WORK IN THAILAND, and I have no work permit, and do not need one. Nor does he.

I know someone who also has a business in the US but works FROM Thailand through their computer.

This person looked into the law before they moved to Thailand, and they do not require a work permit as the money is not coming from THAILAND but the US so they are not making any money from the Thai country. If the money was being made from Thailand, then a work permit would have been needed.

IamAgel, Check the facts before posting posts like the above on here and scaring the OP.

This person looked into the law before they moved to Thailand, and they do not require a work permit as the money is not coming from THAILAND but the US so they are not making any money from the Thai country. If the money was being made from Thailand, then a work permit would have been needed.

IamAgel, Check the facts before posting posts like the above on here and scaring the OP.

Believe you should check your facts before posting, the law as it stands says a work permit is required undertaking work in Thailand whether paid or unpaid, therefore where you take or make your money has nothing to do with it.

In the strictest sense of the law the OP is working in Thailand, so its not a case of legality, more of case would he be caught and under the current circumstances would the authorites be prepared to do anything about it...think not.

Volunteers "working" during the Tsuamami were required to have work permits...

I have no wish to resurrect this old chestnut again and start digressing off topic..

Edited by Soutpeel

Believe you should check your facts before posting, the law as it stands says a work permit is required undertaking work in Thailand whether paid or unpaid, therefore where you take or make your money has nothing to do with it.

In the strictest sense of the law the OP is working in Thailand, so its not a case of legality, more of case would he be caught and under the current circumstances would the authorites be prepared to do anything about it...think not.

I have no wish to resurrect this old chestnut again and start digressing off topic..

You're still not getting this - you are misinterpreting "undertaking work IN Thailand"..Your interpretation is incorrect, as described in my and the other poster's replies above. Tsunami volunteers were working IN THAILAND, however, so they strictly would have needed work permits except for the extraordinary circumstances.

So let me get this right

As you are an expert I will accept your opinion until the Immigration guys come a knocking on my door again

According to you anyone - that is a BIg ANYONE can work in Thailand as long as they don't get paid here

So all those hundreds nay thousands of guys who have been working for years on their Internet businesses whilst sitting in their condos by the beach here in Thailand and being paid by Google or whoever have nothing to worry about

You're still not getting this - you are misinterpreting "undertaking work IN Thailand"..Your interpretation is incorrect, as described in my and the other poster's replies above. Tsunami volunteers were working IN THAILAND, however, so they strictly would have needed work permits except for the extraordinary circumstances.

As mentioned in a previous post have no wish to digress into this old chestnut, but read up on some of the threads which discuss this issue, but will say in the case of somebody stuck here and conducting their work over the internet...fine.... they have no choice and I sure the authorities see it the same way, but stating that because money is not earned in Thailand a person doesnt need a work permit, while they live and conduct business from Thailand is completely wrong and its wrong because the law doesnt even take this into consideration..

Somebody sitting behind a computer conducting business can be interpreted as "working in Thailand" go and look at a definition of what exactly "working" is....

Although personally I dont care what people do....I get fed up with people rationalising what constitutes "work" in Thailand and trying to use this justification for operating a business in Thailand without a WP..

As mentioned in a previous post have no wish to digress into this old chestnut, but read up on some of the threads which discuss this issue, but will say in the case of somebody stuck here and conducting their work over the internet...fine.... they have no choice and I sure the authorities see it the same way, but stating that because money is not earned in Thailand a person doesnt need a work permit, while they live and conduct business from Thailand is completely wrong and its wrong because the law doesnt even take this into consideration..

Somebody sitting behind a computer conducting business can be interpreted as "working in Thailand" go and look at a definition of what exactly "working" is....

Although personally I dont care what people do....I get fed up with people rationalising what constitutes "work" in Thailand and trying to use this justification for operating a business in Thailand without a WP..

Yawn. I'm a lawyer and I have taken appropriate advice on this so think what you like.

End.

A couple of years ago, there was a column in one of the local newspapers, Either Pattaya Mail or Pattaya People.

It was titled "How to make a little extra money in Thailand, the right way"

One of the idea's was to open a website and sell things to oversea's via the website.

So are you saying that the newspaper is advising people to break the law?

Yawn. I'm a lawyer and I have taken appropriate advice on this so think what you like.

End.

How jolly for you...yawn.. :D ...as a lawyer then, you should know there is generally more than one interpretation of a specific law, if it was all cut and dry we wouldnt need lawyers then...

Any not going to get pulled into this argument...End :o

This is also now really getting off topic.

OP, Did you confront the hotel about their Wifi they advertise as FREE?

Yes I asked them about that as I had looked at the website before i moved here, the manager told me its not included, as only an internet special.

Anyway now i have traded up my food vouchers which have a face value of B500 for the WI-FI connection.

And to repeat what i said earlier.

• 1 month later...
A couple of years ago, there was a column in one of the local newspapers, Either Pattaya Mail or Pattaya People.

It was titled "How to make a little extra money in Thailand, the right way"

One of the idea's was to open a website and sell things to oversea's via the website.

So are you saying that the newspaper is advising people to break the law?

The newspaper was article was incorrect and misleading probably written by someone who has little understanding of labour and alian employment laws in Thailand.

To sell over the internet whilst staying in Thailand you are required to hold a work permit.

Edited by Geekfreaklover