Specific Bupa Questions

sleepyjohn

Can I ask for information about BUPA?

I am about to be 60 and am considering, but quite undecided, whether to “get a seat at the table” now so I can get coverage all my life, or to just “insure myself”.

Firstly, if I bought one of the lower packages such as Sapphire or Ruby, would I be able to upgrade to Emerald or Diamond later?

Secondly, suppose I had an illness whilst on say the Ruby package which might have future repercussions, would that preclude an upgrade, or would they upgrade me but preclude that specific illness from the upgrade?

Thirdly, I am a UK citizen but haven't been there for 5 years. Given the new attitude to non-resident health coverage there, if I went there for treatment and was refused, would BUPA Thailand cover me to have private treatment there? (I have a friend who had a BUPA funded op in Singapore recently)

thanks John

Edited by sleepyjohn

Can I ask for information about BUPA?

I am about to be 60 and am considering, but quite undecided, whether to "get a seat at the table" now so I can get coverage all my life, or to just "insure myself".

Firstly, if I bought one of the lower packages such as Sapphire or Ruby, would I be able to upgrade to Emerald or Diamond later?

Secondly, suppose I had an illness whilst on say the Ruby package which might have future repercussions, would that preclude an upgrade, or would they upgrade me but preclude that specific illness from the upgrade?

Thirdly, I am a UK citizen but haven't been there for 5 years. Given the new attitude to non-resident health coverage there, if I went there for treatment and was refused, would BUPA Thailand cover me to have private treatment there? (I have a friend who had a BUPA funded op in Singapore recently)

thanks John

John

The answers to your BUPA questions are below but please do not forget there are several other health insurers in Thailand. To access these please contact your own Thai Visa Insurance Broker : http://insurance.thaivisa.com

1 Yes you would be able to.

2 You could have the upgrade but that problem would only be covered under your initial plan's benefits.

3 Private medical treatment in the UK is extremely expensive and you are only talking about the "basic" BUPA plans ?

May we suggest you start out with the plan you 'think you need' in the future now ?

John

The answers to your BUPA questions are below but please do not forget there are several other health insurers in Thailand. To access these please contact your own Thai Visa Insurance Broker : http://insurance.thaivisa.com

2 You could have the upgrade but that problem would only be covered under your initial plan's benefits.

3 Private medical treatment in the UK is extremely expensive and you are only talking about the "basic" BUPA plans ?

May we suggest you start out with the plan you 'think you need' in the future now ?

Thankyou for the reply.

I went to Thaivisa'a medical insurance page and notice

"It is available for anyone under the age of 59 and half but can be renewed up to the age of 64 and half."

59 1/2? :o

That sounds to me like I've had it as far as staying with them all my life (I'm 60 next week) which is the thing which might draw me from self-insuring. Correct?

What might suit me is an insurance with a large excess, so I pay low premiums but deal with all but large bills myself. Any ideas?

thanks John

John

Thankyou for the reply.

I went to Thaivisa'a medical insurance page and notice

"It is available for anyone under the age of 59 and half but can be renewed up to the age of 64 and half."

59 1/2? :o

That sounds to me like I've had it as far as staying with them all my life (I'm 60 next week) which is the thing which might draw me from self-insuring. Correct?

What might suit me is an insurance with a large excess, so I pay low premiums but deal with all but large bills myself. Any ideas?

thanks John

John

Thai Visa Insurance can offer you up to 40% discounts for accepting an excess.

Please contact them with your details :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form