• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a little good news""

Air cargo terminal to open soon

VICHAYA PITSUWAN

Transport Minister Santi Prompat plans aggressive moves to ease the burden of air freight operators by commanding police officers to clear the way to enter the cargo terminal in Suvarnabhumi airport as he aims to start operations by tomorrow.

"The cargo terminal will be ready to provide services to the private sector in a day or two, and it will run at its full capacity," he said yesterday.

Mr Santi said discussions with the Foreign Minister and business leaders yesterday revealed that the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has not blocked all airport entrances. Mr Santi wants to use the one open entrance left to transport cargo.

He also stressed that three related agencies - Airports of Thailand (AoT), the Civil Aviation Department and the Customs Department - were told to be ready to start operations in two days.

He said that King Kaew Road had not yet been blocked by protesters and police officers needed to be stationed there as soon as possible, adding that police would take responsibility to protect the road from the PAD and ensure a clear path for cargo.

The Thai Airfreight Forwarders Association (Tafa) asked the Department of Civil Aviation yesterday to co-ordinate with AoT to allow freighters to land at Suvarnabhumi. It also asked the government to rent aircraft from neighbouring countries to serve its temporary needs.

The PAD seized both Bangkok airports last Tuesday. The damages to the Thai economy to date are estimated to have been at least three billion baht a day in lost shipment value and opportunities.

But the damage to the country's reputation has been "incalculable", in the words of one official.

Vallop Vitanakorn, the vice-president of the Thai Garment Manufacturers Association, said the private sector desperately wanted both sides to end their standoff."In the meeting, someone suggested a company should volunteer to negotiate with the PAD, but no one agreed. You have to admit, we have no idea what will happen to your assets or business if the PAD gets upset with you," he said.

"Even if the government could open cargo operations in Suvarnabhumi, I would not dare enter."

Exporting though Singapore's Changi Airport is an option for some businesses but it would raise their costs by 20%.

"The court banned 109 PPP, Chart Thai and Matchimathipataya executives from politics for five years. — (AFP)"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/021208_News/02D...08_breaking.php

I realize they are not saying MP's.

It seems a little one-sided; one-hundred and nine from one group, but:-

All the Dems were without a stain to their name.

(or they aren't brought before courts for other [blatantly political, currupt and self-serving] reasons.)

----------

PAD are right. They have always been right, and the courts have borne this fact out.

Calling something a democracy when it is not a democracy, does not make it one. Bought electoral seats are not democratic. Period.

----------

Yet those who attempted to buy seats and failed, the politicians that PAD are supporting, are smelling of roses and get another chance to participate in future elections. Bullshit!!!

Seriously what the hel_l more do they want? The PPP has been disbanded and Somchai Wongsawat has been removed as PM, wasn't that their goal the whole time? Just leave the airport already!!!

This Government to step down!

That a remainder fractional, de facto government doesn't mess with the charter and still manages to get due to charter amendment an amnesty for ALL involved and in the aftermath bring uncle takky back!

it isn't so difficult to understand after all, is it? :o

Whether this is just somebody trying to stir up trouble, or a mis-quote, I cannot say.

What I can say with absolute certainty, listening to ASTV and the broadcast from the airport, is all those speakers are telling people to prepare to leave in a few hours.

A lot of discussions about being careful about the DADD, but all the protester are preparing to leave.

In some organizations, there are always a few hot heads, but 99% or the PAD realizes that to continue at the airport would accomplish nothing but bring the wrath of hel_l down on them.

There is no legal basis to stand on, nor moral basis as well.

You sure about this?

From TOC:

PAD Leaders to Meet Tonight to Discuss PAD's Next Move

spacer.gif

The People's Alliance for Democracy has cheered and clapped wildly after the Constitution Court had ruled this morning to disband the People Power party. The leaders are scheduled to meet tonight to discuss the PAD's next move.

The People's Alliance for Democracy protesters are to remain at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports even after the court has ruled to disband the People Power party. The PAD hosts have told the protesters that their fight isn't over even after the brief victory this morning.

The next step is for the MPs to convene to nominate a new premier. With most People Power party MPs escaping the political ban, they will most likely vote for another People Power party sponsored candidate. Some of the names which could be nominated to replace former PM Somchai Wongsawat are Chalerm Yoobamrung and Mingkwan Saengsuwan.

----------

PAD are right. They have always been right, and the courts have borne this fact out.

Calling something a democracy when it is not a democracy, does not make it one. Bought electoral seats are not democratic. Period.

----------

Yet those who attempted to buy seats and failed, the politicians that PAD are supporting, are smelling of roses and get another chance to participate in future elections. Bullshit!!!

Facts' to support this or just an emotion driven opinion you are airing?

"Even if the government could open cargo operations in Suvarnabhumi, I would not dare enter."

I can imagine what the implications of landing a fully laden Cargo Aircraft containing millions of dollars worth of whatever into the airport, not knowing if you were going to be able to get the thing out to continue on where-ever. Would kind of be like trying to park your very expensive sports car outside the departure louges right now....probably not a very good idea.

I wonder if there is any PAD supporter that talk about seizing air-port. Because I did not see any of them saying anything about it and all they do is posting how Thaskin is bad.

I think they know it is wrong but they just want to forget it. :o

Does PAD have something for the Pro-PAD to praise? :D

Whether this is just somebody trying to stir up trouble, or a mis-quote, I cannot say.

What I can say with absolute certainty, listening to ASTV and the broadcast from the airport, is all those speakers are telling people to prepare to leave in a few hours.

A lot of discussions about being careful about the DADD, but all the protester are preparing to leave.

In some organizations, there are always a few hot heads, but 99% or the PAD realizes that to continue at the airport would accomplish nothing but bring the wrath of hel_l down on them.

You sure about this?

From TOC:

spacer.gif

The People's Alliance for Democracy has cheered and clapped wildly after the Constitution Court had ruled this morning to disband the People Power party. The leaders are scheduled to meet tonight to discuss the PAD's next move.

The People's Alliance for Democracy protesters are to remain at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports even after the court has ruled to disband the People Power party. The PAD hosts have told the protesters that their fight isn't over even after the brief victory this morning.

The next step is for the MPs to convene to nominate a new premier. With most People Power party MPs escaping the political ban, they will most likely vote for another People Power party sponsored candidate. Some of the names which could be nominated to replace former PM Somchai Wongsawat are Chalerm Yoobamrung and Mingkwan Saengsuwan.

As I said there are a few hot heads in every organization, All the protesters at Suvarnabhumi were told they were going home tonight...even joked about taking the souther delegations home by plane except the battery was dead.

They will not have the internal support....look at the casualties, the time and effort and money the people have put into this.

I do not believe even if some of the leadership wanted to continue, they could muster the support, either internally or externally to continue at the airport.

What is being suggested would stretch out several months 1st to get the new PM, and see what back room deals are made to band together which groups, then the elections for the 109 that are red carded....Nope just do not see it in the cards.

If a small cadre stays...they will just be swept up and pushed out.

Remember even if they nominate somebody for PM, there is that gorilla in the corner that has to accept him....I don't think it will be easy this time.

Edited by old wanderer

----------

----------

Ko Samui ah! You would certainly know <deleted> goes on here in upper Isaan. If you had seen any of my previous posts you will know TW is the election 'Returning Officer' in our Tambon so I'm telling it is FACT. They ALL pay whether it's 200 or 50 Baht FACT. The electors pocket the money from all candidates and vote for their favourite AND not necessarily the person who gave em the 200 Baht ---- FACT.

Edited by bdenner

You sure about this?

From TOC:

spacer.gif

As I said there are a few hot heads in every organization, All the protesters at Suvarnabhumi were told they were going home tonight...even joked about taking the souther delegations home by plane except the battery was dead.

They will not have the internal support....look at the casualties, the time and effort and money the people have put into this.

I do not believe even if some of the leadership wanted to continue, they could muster the support, either internally or externally to continue at the airport.

What is being suggested would stretch out several months 1st to get the new PM, and see what back room deals are made to band together which groups, then the elections for the 109 that are red carded....Nope just do not see it in the cards.

Remember even if they nominate somebody for PM, there is that gorilla in the corner that has to accept him....I don't think it will be easy this time.

Are you suggesting that the PAD is so anarchic that the leadership have no control as to whether or not the cadres continue their illegal occupation? You said that ASTV had reported the PAD were evacuating- can anyone corroborate this? What is the word coming from the stage?

In all these days, nobody has been able to tell me how seizing the airports has changed the outcome of the verdicts today in any way.

I started another thread about this.

The explanation I got was that PPP was trying to change the constitution BEFORE the court verdict so that the court verdict would never happen, so that Thaksin could be pardoned, so that PPP could continue, so that Thaksin could be PM of Thailand. Remember they did block the government from taking that action and forced Somchai to hole up in Chiang Mai. If true, the PAD did accomplish the first step of their agenda.

This ain't over. It has hardly begun.

It would have made no difference whether they had changedit or not once the court ruled all changes would have been nullified!

What is the word coming from the stage?

The word coming from the stage about 1 hour ago was "Plan on leaving this evening".

Then there was a long explanation about the law and how all the Court ruling worked.

@ow I don't doubt what you're saying. Just seems inexplicable that their own website would be reporting they "are to remain at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports even after the court has ruled to disband the People Power party." I'm not in a position to have a look at ASTV at the moment. What are they saying right now?

You sure about this?

From TOC:

spacer.gif

Are you suggesting that the PAD is so anarchic that the leadership have no control as to whether or not the cadres continue their illegal occupation? You said that ASTV had reported the PAD were evacuating- can anyone corroborate this? What is the word coming from the stage?

I doubt it. I just talked to one that has been previously at the stage, but is at government house now (part of the give back PAD team). He didn't know so most probably no.

I may be a bit simple but the choice seems simple

A democratically elected corrupt government

or

An undemocratic elitist appointed corrupt government

when the flights start again and everyone leaves could the last person kindly turn out the lights

Was Somchai or was he not, an executive at the time of the crimes?

In any case he doesn't govern from a party that exists any longer.

So it can not hold form of a government.

I am not surprised the exit of the whole cabinet is demanded by PAD also.

I always thought that they expected full cabinet exit.

But not full PPP exit from parliment. Even as that is not happened,

since MP's aren't made to leave.

Well, we've seen the first stage of the expected 'judicial coup'.

Judicial coup is a misnomer being thrown about. It suggests that the decision was based on something other than hard evidence. That is not the case. The court was given valid evidence and followed the existing constitution. From the beginning, what the PPP argued against was dissolving an entire political party based on the guilt of one person. However, that is the law as it stands, hence, the courts had no other recourse other than to rule as they did. This is not a judicial coup, but a decision based on evidence and the law, similar most probably to what would have happened in your country had the laws been the same.

Well, we've seen the first stage of the expected 'judicial coup'. My guess is that we will now see how the Junta's Constitution can be interpreted first to stop the coalition government re-forming and then to stop fair elections taking place.

I'm curious myself if the predicted judicial coup materialises in any shape or form.

I'm talking a coup along the lines mentioned in recent Grispin's article - after the dissolution there's no legitimate govt or parliament left, judges use constitutional loophole to create an interim ruling body that implements "new politics" or some other political reform, then there are elections.

What is the word coming from the stage?

The word coming from the stage about 1 hour ago was "Plan on leaving this evening".

Then there was a long explanation about the law and how all the Court ruling worked.

@ow I don't doubt what you're saying. Just seems inexplicable that their own website would be reporting they "are to remain at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports even after the court has ruled to disband the People Power party." I'm not in a position to have a look at ASTV at the moment. What are they saying right now?

OK I went back in and listened....right now they are saying if you don't want to go home you don't have too. Tonight have the meeting of the 5 PAD leaders. That Somchai had made a list 2 days ago for the people to take over the government. That for the past year this government has not done good for the people of Thailand. We cannot let this government continue. They say they have to wait to see what the 5 leaders say...we have come a long way, and we won, but this is the last battle and we must make it a change, and eliminate Thaskin and his group...we have come a long way...

(on and on)

My wife thinks they will stay...if something happens to the protest a lot of local Bangkok people will come out besides, they saw the moon smile last night....(how can you argue with logic like that.)

Latest from AP:

Despite the ruling, the protest alliance told its members to stay put at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang domestic airports for now.Top leaders of the alliance would meet later Tuesday to decide the next course of action, said Sirichai Maingam, an alliance leader.

Full story here

----------

----------

Ko Samui ah! You would certainly know <deleted> goes on here in upper Isaan. If you had seen any of my previous posts you will know TW is the election 'Returning Officer' in our Tambon so I'm telling it is FACT. They ALL pay whether it's 200 or 50 Baht FACT. The electors pocket the money from all candidates and vote for their favourite AND not necessarily the person who gave em the 200 Baht ---- FACT.

In case it isn't obvious to you, aparantly not, there are LOTS of Issan people on Koh Samui.

I see some 3-4 people from isasan almost every day. They got cell phones to home folks.

So it's not like you have to be there daily to hear the news of the north.

And many of these Issan folks here speak decent english and give clear opinions.

My info comes from Chaing Dao to Chaing Mai and Rai, Khon Kean and Ubon R.

So it covers more than just one tambon....

And Samuian speaks reasonable Thai too.

The world here isn't nearly as parochial as you imagine.

OK I went back in and listened....right now they are saying if you don't want to go home you don't have too. Tonight have the meeting of the 5 PAD leaders. That Somchai had made a list 2 days ago for the people to take over the government. That for the past year this government has not done good for the people of Thailand. We cannot let this government continue. They say they have to wait to see what the 5 leaders say...we have come a long way, and we won, but this is the last battle and we must make it a change, and eliminate Thaskin and his group...we have come a long way...

(on and on)

My wife thinks they will stay...if something happens to the protest a lot of local Bangkok people will come out besides, they saw the moon smile last night....(how can you argue with logic like that.)

Thanks for the update ow. Much appreciated.

Thailand has no government or PM and Bangkok has no governor.

What will happen to us now with no one to tell us what to do.

Thailand truly has become like "heaven on earth" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a caretaker PM, and the cabinet hasn't yet resigned.

There is an acting Bangkok Governor.

Okay, so we have their next target. And when the entire cabinet leaves office, what is their next target then?

All Thaksin puppets no matter if TRT, TRT 2nd edition or TRT 3rd edition must leave.

And their children and their Childrens children , also any maid and drivers as well ,long way to go still

Absolutely. The rot is very very deeply rooted. Unfortunately PAD know this, and as unpopular as this may make them they are right.. I just hope the international community understands now with a supreme court verdict which is plain and simple for them to understand. TRT, PPP, and anything remotely associated with Thaksin stinks of corruption, and can in no way be called democracy.. Better to not have it than to have a sham!

Nearly every Thai that I've ever meet doesn't really believe that anything will ever really change here.

Most are just waiting for their chance to get their head in the trough for a feed.