30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Really? :o Then tell me how a 37 year old who's been here for 12 years with enough money to live on, most cash is in in a thai bank can get the right visa, not married, no intention of doing so either and no business???

Please elaborate.

Thai officials are a bunch of xenophobic retards.

Hi. I understand some people's anger as rules keep changing in Thailand, but it's not the end of the world. Not every country in the world can get a visa on arrival in Thailand. In fact, I was never able to do so. I arrived in Thailand as a tourist, enjoyed it, tried it out on tourist visas before I committed. I think tourist visas give you long enough to test the country out. Once I knew I wanted to be here I changed to Non-Immigrant. It's not perfect (especially as there are a few laws when you are starting out (if you don't want to start hiring a bunch of people right away) and I still have to do a border run every three months. It's a bit bothersome, but overall it hasn't been that difficult to stay in Thailand.

My advise if you truly want to stay in Thailand is to hire an immigration lawyer (like you would in almost any other country if you wanted to immigrate. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

Cheers and good luck to all :D

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I am married but still get a feeling of impending doom from this. How long until they choke me out too? I understand why they do it but we never see a better deal for those of us who stay with legitimate reasons. Married or with children... ect, ect. I only see a shrinking gap between their legitimate and illegitimate children. I hope I will see some grey area that I will be able to fall into someday. As I will never have a pension I am sure I am running on borrowed time.

Actually they made it easier for us married this time.

We got back the 400.000 baht in bank option again. :o

This wont stop any of the mafia in the ghetto`s, i also know a few guys who have been here for years and dont even bother with visa runs, if your wanted in your country, a change in rules like this is not really going to matter much.

this is likely to have more impact on the land tourist that is country hopping, and travelling through thailand, bit of a pain to travel in and out every 30 days via a airport, but i guess if you live near one, simply hopping on a flight to KL or singapore, will be like taking a bus

if you still have the means to stay ie the funds, people will find a way, the only real way to force visa`s is to make them compulsory, and anyone found without one is banned for life and deported, etc, certainly would shake up the system, that will be the next step

Edited by Nouf

I don't think it's a great loss for Thailand - big spenders generally don't do visa runs but get proper long term multiple-reentry tourist or non-o visas in their home countries.

How wrong you are. Big Spenders usually only come here for a couple of weeks and spend up big in 5 star hotels. A lot of which filters off overseas. Visa runners spend their money at local hole in the walls and support the local economy at grass roots levels.

Even if some of the money filters off overseas, what is left is still much more than the amount most visa runners have to spend. You are also missing the fact that big 5 star hotels employ a lot of Thai staff, they also attract people who will be more likely to purchase expensive tours etc.. Much more beneficial to the economy than visa runners.

Interestingly, I have some friends who are coming to stay with me on Koh Phan Ngan for a month who, becuase they cannot fly into Suvannbhum, have decided to fly to KL and take the train for a bit of a change.

I now have to contact them and tell them that they cant, because visa regs changed. lets just hope i can get a hold of them in time.

This is going to be the case with quite a few people this season. People who have made alternate plans to enter the kingdom by land but have nonetheless decided to come despite the insanity. These are people who plan to spend bout 3 weeks on the islands (mostly international school teachers from cambodia, china, singapore etc) on their christmas break who cannot fly into the capital, nor can they travel overland without prearranging their visa

truly excellent timing

When I pressed an immigration officer in Ranong yesterday for the reason in reducing the 30 to a 15 day entry he told me it was to keep out the "bad farangs".

I don't have a problem with getting a proper visa, but, and this is a bit off topic, I actually went to Andaman Club yesterday to get what I thought was a 30 day entry because my Air Asia flight from Phuket to Singapore was cancelled last Sunday because the plane was stuck in Bangkok. Unable to get an alternative flight I decided to re-schedule my Sing trip and drove to Ranong armed with my cancelled ticket with the assurance in the press that travellers on an overstay would be exempted from a fine as this was beyond my control. I just wanted to do the right thing and get legal. NO WAY. I was fined 1,500 baht for a 3 day overstay because, according to the immigration officer, the exemption only applies from an airport. I got the, "I understand but I cannot help you" line. A bit of flexibility on their part would have been appreciated.

Why do Malaysians get 30 days but Laos or any other ASEAN members are not mentioned? My wife is Laos she travels with my half Lao son backward and forward from Thailand to Laos regularly. I am a legitimate teacher working in Thailand and we live here together. To go backwards and forwards every 15 days would be the final straw (or be compelled to get a tourist visa).

If this new rule applies to members of ASEAN countries except Malaysians then it is complete BS! Can someone please clarify?

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Really? :o Then tell me how a 37 year old who's been here for 12 years with enough money to live on, most cash is in in a thai bank can get the right visa, not married, no intention of doing so either and no business???

Please elaborate.

If the visa rules of Thailand do not allow a long-stay visa for that set of circumstances, then that person cannot get a long-stay visa..end of story.

But its also gonna hurt those who have good cash but not a proper visa, like me. But Im leaving Thailand pretty soon anyway, so it doesnt affect me much.

I think you won't be the only one, both cheap charlies AND money spenders.

Doubt many will still buy condos if they're not sure about visaregulations because they can change them anytime when they want. What visas will get changed after this? All those who applaud the new rule, might soon be next.

Guess the gouverment has enough money and doesn't need tourists. :o

i think anyone who has spent a fair bit of time in thailand understands the move. 15 days is an awfully short window. i work in thailand and i often use the tourist visa to get around in between jobs - both to job hunt and move (and work as the schools generally cant get all the paper work done before they want you to start-- you neednt comment on that).

who is this aimed at? under-the-table teachers, vagabounds, non-thais? it sounds like the people this will adversly affet the most is the folks who tour multiple countries. living in the norht i meet many folks who are just coming in from a trip through vietnam and laos. if i understand the sit. correctly then they would only get 15 days coming in from laos or cambodia. seems classist to me. one has to start their trips in thailand i guess. also there is the new visa coming out in 2010 (i think) for all of southeast asia (or the greater mekong area, something like that). still it seems a bit harsh and at an inoportune time (tourism is down all around - big and small spenders). any bets how long it will stick?

Please elaborate.

Well you are not really entitled to a permanent visa under Thai rules.

As with many countries in the world you may not be able to stay infinitum if you don't fit into their visa rules.

However seeing as you have plenty of money you definitely have plenty of options to stay by using the current rules and getting visas but there will be some inconvenience and it will cost you some money but what do you really expect?

Well, I'd expect them to be a bit more accomodating, I was allowed to buy (30 year lease) house for over 5 million baht, bought a car in my name but still am not allowed to live here legally!

Sounds a bit rascist to me.

So I guess I'll have to get married out of conveniece soon, really a step in teh right direction ofr Thailand this is. :D

i don't see any trouble in this rule, who was stupid enough to go out every month instead of buying the appropriate visa?

US...that we spend 200.000 bath a month but:

We are not married(better than most marry ladybar and spend all money for the sick cow in issan)

We dont work in Thailand( you are stupid pay tax in one country were the 90% of people dont pay tax and at the end how much you spend for one company in thailand?)

We are not over 50(so sorry if im more young and then whit the bath the go down and up your money for retirement dont give to you the right things)

YES WE ARE STUPID but we give the same money like you....

OOOPPPSS so sorry you have milions of bath....we are poor..

ManSTUPID say to your friends not to us.

PS: how many we are.....sign in this post..

bye

Almost agree totally. Only thing is that I do not understand why those under 50 who can prove they have enough income or capital to support themselves here without working should get an equivalent of a retirement visa. Maybe to support their anticipated longer life the figure should be much higher than 800K Baht (say 2 million Baht) for under 50's but it should be an option and has to be good for the Thai economy. BTW this is not said to suit me as I am over 60 with a UK pension (yes I worked hard in the UK for 40 years and waited to retire until I could afford it) and have a proper OA retirement visa.

A very sensible ruling this and surely completely fair, if you stay here permanently then you are frankly NOT a tourist so why should you get a permanently renewable tourist visa ?? No other civilised country would normally allow this so why should Thailand ?? Wont affect tourism as 99% arrive by air anyway. So either get a spouse visa, retirement visa or work permit based visa or go back home work hard to earn enough to justify your return here in the future, most of us have done just that and NO I am not gloating in any way and feel sorry for those genuine cases who have no valid and fair option like an under 50 retirement visa which would be sensible.

So let me think about this. I can drive to the Malaysia border, get an automatic 90 day entry visa in order to return and get a 15 day visa or I can go to Penang and buy a 60 day Thai visa for 1500 baht.

Hmmm... My plan is to move to Penang and buy a house there and then drive to the Thai border to get a 15 day visa so that I can return to Malaysia with a 90 day entry visa if I don't otherwise apply for a 6 month visa or even a 10 year MM2H visa. I figure they are more interested in having me than the Thais are.

30-days border runs now only 15 days

BANGKOK: -- In order to limit the amount of foreigners using "back-to-back" border runs, Thai Immigration has issued a new regulation regarding the 30 days tourist exemption.

Effective immediately, travellers without visa will get only 15 days of stay if they are arriving via a land border checkpoint from a neigboring country.

Passengers arriving via an international airport will obtain a 30 days stay, and for them there is no change.

Travellers with Malaysian passports will obtain a 30 days stay.

This police order number 778/2551 is today confirmed by Royal Thai Police, Immigration Bureau, in Bangkok.

-- thaivisa.com 2008-12-04

Attached: Royal Thai Police order (Thai language)

RTP778_2551.pdf

just to start, this does not affect me as i have a 1 year retirement extension and currently live here in Cambodia

BUT i must say the timing couln't have been worse.

Also does this mean that you still get 3 months out of 6 months in Thailand or have they haved that also. Note the gov makes ZERO money out of this vis exempt entries.

It will not affect tourism a bit more than what the past 7 days has. Those in thailand for 30 day border trips are finding it harder and harder to stay. Those tourists that they wanted will not go to thailand for ahwile after the past 7 days so my guess is you will see a big drop in 2009. Note it does not affect those that can afford to fly out. so in my opinion good ridence. If u want to stay get the correct visa

Its not over yet. New elections......new Thaksin puppet.... PAD takes to the streets again and really slams the door on toursim and all future invesment :o

Edited by phuketrichard

Please elaborate.

Thai Elite card... :D

lol :D sure why not!

Please elaborate.

Thai Elite Card!?!

Please elaborate.

If the visa rules of Thailand do not allow a long-stay visa for that set of circumstances, then that person cannot get a long-stay visa..end of story.

:D

Wednesday's Bangkok Post page 2 Today's, Thursday's, Bangkok Post page 7: "Special Entry Visa - In Ways Second Only To A State Visit" Included in the purchase of a Thai Elite Card you receive a 5 year-Multiple-entry visa. Problem solved. Call +66 2352 3000.

The people who never get their papers straight in order to live here have always annoyed me too.

However, in the tourism business, we get a lot of people who backpack around for months at a time. This was a really strange concept for me being from Hawaii you get 2 weeks if your lucky. Anyway, most backpackers I meet are from Europe / Australia and they are on these mega journeys of 2-6 months AND they have MONEY - lots of it. I have no idea where all the dough comes from, but they have it and it definitely contributes to the tourism industry here.

These backpackers think of themselves as adventure travellers and planning out visas and exact dates detracts from the point of a loose adventure. They come and go and often times spend weeks in just one location before moving on to the next.

A typical family on holiday here in Thailand will spend as much as these backpackers in a week. BUT the backpackers spend the same amount - just over a longer period of time!

With the country image tarnished by recent events and less affluent people wanting to "risk" travel here right now - backpackers might become the norm again.

It's a shame there isn't a way to punish the illegals working and living here without affecting the travellers that contribute to many others salaries and bottom lines.

Aloha

I see your point and agree on some of your statements, but disagree on your definition of backpackers. Many long term travelers are well organized, especially if traveling through other countries in Asia, such as India, that requires every nationality to get a visa before arrival. No big deal except maybe for those who are currently in the middle of a trip. As always, the only thing I would complain about is that the Thai government never gives warnings about these changes. A 6 month or at least 3 month warning would have been nice.

Extraordinary. They obviously do not want foriegners here for any length of time, only long enough to drop their cash and piss off back home. It begs the question as to whether they really deserve to have us come visit their extraordinary country at all.

As others have said already, just apply for a tourist visa if you're a tourist OR secure the proper non-imm visa before coming here. I never did understand people who move here "indefinitely" on an entry-stamp and then hope for the best, with regard to finding a job and getting a long-term visa. Shouldn't people take care of the proper visa first and THEN move here long-term? There are still many options available for people who wish to work here or retire here. This new law is an inconvenience for some, but hardly indicates that Thailand doesn't "deserve" to host foreign visitors. Now, the debacle at the airport is a different story... ;-)

Why do Malaysians get 30 days but Laos or any other ASEAN members are not mentioned? My wife is Laos she travels with my half Lao son backward and forward from Thailand to Laos regularly. I am a legitimate teacher working in Thailand and we live here together. To go backwards and forwards every 15 days would be the final straw (or be compelled to get a tourist visa).

If this new rule applies to members of ASEAN countries except Malaysians then it is complete BS! Can someone please clarify?

I don't think it will apply to Lao citizens. Theire entries don't fall under visa waiver rules normally.

If you have a job and work permit and a one year extension you should be able to get your wife a 1 year extension also. And then they could get re-entry permits for the trip to Laos.

Edited by ubonjoe

Wow, I am married but still get a feeling of impending doom from this. How long until they choke me out too? I understand why they do it but we never see a better deal for those of us who stay with legitimate reasons. Married or with children... ect, ect. I only see a shrinking gap between their legitimate and illegitimate children. I hope I will see some grey area that I will be able to fall into someday. As I will never have a pension I am sure I am running on borrowed time.

Actually they made it easier for us married this time.

We got back the 400.000 baht in bank option again. :o

:D oh thats great news! got a link?

Edited by bernie66

YES WE ARE STUPID but we give the same money like you....

OOOPPPSS so sorry you have milions of bath....we are poor..

ManSTUPID say to your friends not to us.

PS: how many we are.....sign in this post..

Sounds a bit paranoid on your side, getting visa in thailand is easy(for 3 month of stay) there's no valid reason to do a border run every month if you stay for a long time in thailand and don't have any economic interest in thailand and/or it's border neighbours.

I don't think it will apply to Lao citizens. Theire entries don't fall under visa waiver rules normally.

If you have a job and work permit and a one year extension you should be able to get your wife a 1 year extension also. And then they could get re-entry permits for the trip to Laos.

I believe Lao nationals with no passport get a 3 day pass or 30 days with a passport.

Can't be sure of if the 90 day rule is abolished. We don't have a complete translation yet of the whole document. I must say it seems that way, but I'm not sure if this new police order is replacing the 90 day police order. It does look that way, but can someone who can read Thai confirm it replaces police order 608/2549?

The new rule clearly says the Article 3 of police order 608/2549 established on 8 September 2549 has been discontinued and replaced with a new Article 3 of Police Order 778/2551 of 25 November 2551. So the 90 days in six months rule has been discontinued officially by the new order which does not have the 90 day rule in it at all.

Exactly! I would definitely prefer less 'travellers' and more tourists .

Lot of fuss about nothing

jamie