Thai airlines

Blackandwhite

I am flyingThai soon first time with them. Last time I flew with Eva and was able to upgrade for £85 to first class. Anybody done the same with Thai and how much did it cost. Also anybody know any cheeky ways of doing it, Eg; Getting there early or dressing very smart and telling the your PA should have made a first class booking rather than economy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There was an ongoing promotion until recently - Royal Orchid members could pay a nominal amount (depending on distance/zone traveled) and upgrade their economy ticket to Royal Orchid/Business class or first class.

Great promotion, I used it a number of times between Phuket/Bangkok and Yangon, and they even gave me the extra miles for travelling up the pointy end.

Plus - travelling with some mates from Rangoon to Bangkok last month, TG had the lucky draw promotion going, so we duly filled out our entries.  Being early in the morning, I was on my 3rd glass of wine when the cabin crew asked me if I would mind drawing the winner?  No problems, and I ambled down to the economy section, stuck my hand in the bag...

AND DREW MY OWN ENTRY   \o/

Don't remember any of the other passengers being terribly amused, and I tried to give it back out of principle - but they would only accept the 1st correct entry!!

Don't worry - karma got me when we landed - they lost my baggage for a few hours.  Great fun that trip   :o

Or use airmiles if you have them (Star Alliance)

Last time, a few years ago, I tried for an upgrade as Royal Orchid - member, they told me, the mileage needed for upgrading would be the same as for a free ticket business-class, because, "we don't want you to buy a cheap Y-ticket and upgrade." (BKK-SHA-BKK)

I think the time for cards is running out. Too many members and not enough seats for free tickets or upgrades. Before I kept CX Gold card updated until they changed the system and I lost over 1 million km which I collected for the 2 million-target as life time member. System cancelled, thank you for your past performance....

Today, I keep the lowest member-ship level on TG, CX and AF.

CX allows lounge access and gives me lots of upgradings on short hops (2-3 hours). TG is always good for 10-12 kgs extra luggage, which I need. AF sends promotions for Europe trips. My travel agent alway attaches a free voucher to Louis Tavern lounge in BKK, even for a eco-ticket.

Anyway, oneworld and Star-alliance is all you need combined with a decent credit card to move points, just in time.

Baht 25 spent gives you 15 miles free flights or roughly one beer 45 miles. No wonder I have to work so hard for more mileage.

yeah i am shallow and sexists but i judge an airline on its hostess and thai do esnt rate never fails to dissapiont so thats where the old elephants go too die

on the other hand MAS I WAS GEE ED UP the whole flight

mad sorts

had go straight from do muang to nana

Axel,

Which credit card rewards you with Thai miles?  What bank and how to apply?

regards

SVB

Hi SVB,

InThailand I use American Express, direct account with them in Baht. You have to enroll for the Freq. Travellers' Choice, here a link:

http//www24.americanexpress.com/thailand/en/personal/cards/rewards/mr_structure.asp

I know in HKG you can get Cathay Pacific Visa or Master, connected to a local bank there. I have an acc. with HCBC in HKG and can instruct them to transfer my points to an airline.

Saw in Thailand ads for TG-cards, believe Diners and Visa but not sure anymore. So much for the effect of commercials.

Believe all card companies have a system, AMEX - points, as an example gives you a choice under their own catalogues to exchange for goods in Thai-shops or to transfer to TG or CX or ??? One airline mile equals 1.5 AMEX-points, which comes to 25 Baht per km or roughly 15 miles.

When transferring points, can be done by phone, they warn you, TG takes 1 week, CX 14 days. Actual experience 2 resp. 5 days. Once the points show up in the airline (personal) web site just shoot off an request, which will be taken care of with n 24 hours.