30/15 Day Entry Stamp

I went to the Mae Sot - Myawaddi border yesterday and was told by the Thai immigration woman behind the desk that there was no longer any limit to the number of times I could do the 15 day visa run. Her exact words were more to the effect of "go come back 1, go come back 2, stop, no more". I said, "oh, now can go come back many many times?" She said "yes, but now every 15 days".

Lets see 500 baht at Burma border every 15 days is 6000 baht every 180 days plus hassle and expense of getting to the Burma border.

The other reasonable option seems to be 2x 60 day tourist visa from Laos for 2000 baht plus 2 30 day extensions for 1900 baht each? That's 5800 baht for 180 days plus hassle and expense of getting to Laos border and immigration for the extensions correct? Same same but very different, think I'll do the Laos deal so I won't be bothered every 15 days and my money won't be going to Burma.

I did my first visa run to Mae Sae on Thurs and got the new 15-day visa for my pains. While getting stamped back in I noticed a sign at Thai immigration saying that Tourist Visas (10,000B) and 1-year Non-O visas (20,000B) were available there. Is this true?

No. Visas can only be issued by Consulates and Embassies. And certainly not at those prices.

Either you read it wrong or there is something illegal going on.

The sign probably referred to the amount of money that one is supposed to (theoretically) have in their possession if entering Thailand with either of those visa types. Immigrations at Mae Sai has been known to enforce this rule from time to time.

Just came back from Aranyaprathet-Poipet Border after spending two days in Cambodia.

I was planning to go to Malaysia and Singapore on the beginning of this month and come back after the new year's holiday but I postponed it till the end of this month just to get the right information from the border immigration.

I had a long discussion with one nice officer who apparently was not very happy with the new rules too. He assured me that though they would give only 15 days at the land crossing borders, the thirty days exempt still applies at the airports, and the 90 D/6 M condition has gone. However the problem they are facing now is that they are tired of explaining how and why this rules had come up, to every tourist entering Thailand, and no wonder as the immigration office was completely backed up with backpackers, and for the first time I have seen there were four lanes reserved for foreigners in Aranyaprathtet border and only one for the Thai, which used to be opposite.

Just for your information

Bishop :o

I was in the middle of doing a visa run to Malaysia at the time of the first publication on ThaiVisa of this change.

Needless to say I was a somewhat surprised to be told I could only have 15 days.

I have just completed a double-entry tourist visa (180 days).

I now have what is remaining of 15 days.

My question is about getting back to back tourist visas:

Will there be any difficulty in obtaining another double-entry tourist visa next week?

I was thinking of going to Laos.

I have been in Thailand in the same hamlet in Krabi Province for just over 1 year almost continuously (a mix of visa-runs and TVs).

I am Aussie

I am unmarried

Financially independant

Under retirement age

I have no problems with following all the rules, I just need to know what they are.

Well chances are that by the time you get to know what the rules are they will change them and you will have to learn them all over again.I lived in thailand for 10 yrs trying to follow the rules one year ago I got sick of it and moved to cambodia,where you can get a room with cable TV for around $100 a month and if you get a $25 business visa which you can extend from 3 mths to one year bye bye visa runs,you can get your extensions from the supermarket without ever going near a border.

I cant believe that there are expats still living in Slyland why would you do that to yourself just pack a bag and come to Sihanoukville its just the same only cheaper and a fraction of the hassle.......

to get the 1 year visa which is unavailable from ANY Embassy or Consulate other than from your HOME country

Excuse me, but I'm a newbie. I did my first visa run to Mae Sae on Thurs and got the new 15-day visa for my pains. While getting stamped back in I noticed a sign at Thai immigration saying that Tourist Visas (10,000B) and 1-year Non-O visas (20,000B) were available there. Is this true?

with all this conjecture about visa laws,visa runs ect, I am thinking its just easier to enrol in a language college such as WALEN, learn thai,pay the 28,500 baht fee and get a 12 month education visa and be done with it..no stuffing about..does anybody have experience in this or any opinions????

I cant believe that there are expats still living in Slyland why would you do that to yourself just pack a bag and come to Sihanoukville its just the same only cheaper and a fraction of the hassle.......

might join you there mate,also considering Vietnam..very easy on visa rules also...comparisons?opinions anyone?

to get the 1 year visa which is unavailable from ANY Embassy or Consulate other than from your HOME country

Excuse me, but I'm a newbie. I did my first visa run to Mae Sae on Thurs and got the new 15-day visa for my pains. While getting stamped back in I noticed a sign at Thai immigration saying that Tourist Visas (10,000B) and 1-year Non-O visas (20,000B) were available there. Is this true?

with all this conjecture about visa laws,visa runs ect, I am thinking its just easier to enrol in a language college such as WALEN, learn thai,pay the 28,500 baht fee and get a 12 month education visa and be done with it..no stuffing about..does anybody have experience in this or any opinions????

See this 12 page topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Callan-walen...ml&hl=walen

See this 12 page topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Callan-walen...ml&hl=walen

hey thanks ubonjoe,i never saw that one..invaluable info for my future plans..might change em and go to vietnam or cambodia.

I understand the referance made about slyland now..I have managed to get an appartment for 5500 bht + electricity.. includes internet and some cable tv.Would love to stay longer but am sick of all the uncertainty...

the land of smiles they say...ive noticed the smile turns to a frown when you refuse to throw money around

might join you there mate,also considering Vietnam..very easy on visa rules also...comparisons?opinions anyone?

Hey bud,im in the same boat as you,I am Aussie,I am unmarried,Financially independant,Under retirement age....rented out my house in tasmania and going to ride out the financial crisis over here.

Would be interested in what you eventually do..i was thinking Laos myself,since the language is similar and is a more laid back place from all reports.

Now that i know the truth about walen...thanks ubonjoe....if staying in thailand it would be better to do the text and talk and at least get a job and work visa out of it in the end...

but then again ,i am assuming there has to be some slyness with the tefol idea also..haha

Would love to stay longer but am sick of all the uncertainty...

What uncertainty. Do mean all the posts saying that this new little change in the rules is part of a growing anti farang sentiment.

Its not against any one group of people. It's aimed at those that are working without a work permit and is to make it harder on them. It is a revision to the rule change that was done in September of 06.

It just means people are going to go get tourist visas more often instead of making 3 border runs to get another 90 days after having a tourist visa. Unless that want to make them every 2 weeks or buy a ticket out and back every 30 days.

How many people that are working would be able to take 2 or 3 days off to make a visa run. You can do border runs on weekends but not visa runs.

If you want to study Thai and can pay for going to school it is good option. Spending 4 hours in class a week is a lot better than making visa and border runs.

Edited by ubonjoe

------------------

Vientiane are allowing 'visa services' now? last time i was there (about 50 days ago) it was still very much forbidden.

---------------

The fast track visa trouts at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane are a different kettle of fish to the people on the NK side who took their customers across the bridge and back again, fast track, they were the services that were outlawed.

Would love to stay longer but am sick of all the uncertainty...

What uncertainty. Do mean all the posts saying that this new little change in the rules is part of a growing anti farang sentiment.

Its not against any one group of people. It's aimed at those that are working without a work permit and is to make it harder on them. It is a revision to the rule change that was done in September of 06.

It just means people are going to go get tourist visas more often instead of making 3 border runs to get another 90 days after having a tourist visa. Unless that want to make them every 2 weeks or buy a ticket out and back every 30 days.

How many people that are working would be able to take 2 or 3 days off to make a visa run. You can do border runs on weekends but not visa runs.

If you want to study Thai and can pay for going to school it is good option. Spending 4 hours in class a week is a lot better than making visa and border runs.

By uncertainty i mean stuff like this:

*to get the 1 year visa which is unavailable from ANY Embassy or Consulate other than from your HOME country....

does this apply for education visa..can i get that from Laos?

*When i got my 2 month visa from consulate in Australia i was told that visa-runs are not legal or satisfactory but yet if i did engage in these practices then such things would look bad on my passport and i may get kicked out of the country at any stage...

so is it legal or not?.

*I also enquired of the walen college if the fee was a once only price and did i have to do any OR pay for any visa runs...they said "its a one time fee,no added charges and possible to have 12 month visa"....this was clearly (if not a lie) then very deceptive.

With respect,its all these things that make me have no confidence of a "fair go" in Thailand,and to use the word "uncertainty"

dam_n!..i would be happy to pay the monks whatever they want and do a course in Buddhism in a temple somewhere if it means i could stay without the foreboding thoughts of what...where..am i going to go next?

Thanks Lite Beer, as I said I was not sure about the right forum of my post regarding China, and you have every right to move it to where it belongs. Though I never opened the southeast Asia forum before, I will try to do that this time and see if I can be of any help.

Thank you again for informing me and I wish a very wonderful day.

Thanks Lite Beer, as I said I was not sure about the right forum of my post regarding China, and you have every right to move it to where it belongs. Though I never opened the southeast Asia forum before, I will try to do that this time and see if I can be of any help.

Thank you again for informing me and I wish a very wonderful day.

You post about China is here for anyone that wants to read it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Guangzhou-Ch...45#entry2393745

*to get the 1 year visa which is unavailable from ANY Embassy or Consulate other than from your HOME country....

*When i got my 2 month visa from consulate in Australia i was told that visa-runs are not legal or satisfactory but yet if i did engage in these practices then such things would look bad on my passport and i may get kicked out of the country at any stage...

so is it legal or not?.

*I also enquired of the walen college if the fee was a once only price and did i have to do any OR pay for any visa runs...they said "its a one time fee,no added charges and possible to have 12 month visa"....this was clearly (if not a lie) then very deceptive.

With respect,its all these things that make me have no confidence of a "fair go" in Thailand,and to use the word "uncertainty"

dam_n!..i would be happy to pay the monks whatever they want and do a course in Buddhism in a temple somewhere if it means i could stay without the foreboding thoughts of what...where..am i going to go next?

The statement about the one year visa means a multiple entry visa (90 day permit to stay) or a non immigrant oa retirement visa ( 1 year permit to stay). Certain classes of multiple entry visas can be obtained in KL and Penang.

A one year extension is possible on an ED visa. In most cases they are issued for 90 days at a time. But you don't have to leave the country.

What the conulate told you is basicly BS. I think they are talking about border runs to get the old 30 day entries. I have never heard of any body being kicked out unless a crime was commited. Such as working without a work permit.

Walen has since sorted out that issue and clearly states on its website that you will get extensions every 90 days from immigration for a cost of 1900 baht. You will have to make one visa run to get the ED visa that can then be extended. The topic link I posted was not meant to be construed as negative. If you go to near the end of the topic you will find posts by Mac Walen explaining the problem. I have read many good reports on Walen.

You can get a 1 year extension on a visa to study Buddism. But I think most monasteries require you to enter the monkhood to do it.

It is no problem to make trips to Vientiane every 6 months and get a 2 entry tourist visa. That means 60 day entry 30 day extension, border run and another 60 + 30 then back to Vientiane. Lots of people are doing it.

Edited by ubonjoe

so is it legal or not?.

The statement about the one year visa means a multiple entry visa (90 day permit to stay) or a non immigrant oa retirement visa ( 1 year permit to stay). Certain classes of multiple entry visas can be obtained in KL and Penang.

A one year extension is possible on an ED visa. In most cases they are issued for 90 days at a time. But you don't have to leave the country.

What the conulate told you is basicly BS. I think they are talking about border runs to get the old 30 day entries. I have never heard of any body being kicked out unless a crime was commited. Such as working without a work permit.

Walen has since sorted out that issue and clearly states on its website that you will get extensions every 90 days from immigration for a cost of 1900 baht. You will have to make one visa run to get the ED visa that can then be extended. The topic link I posted was not meant to be construed as negative. If you go to near the end of the topic you will find posts by Mac Walen explaining the problem. I have read many good reports on Walen.

You can get a 1 year extension on a visa to study Buddism. But I think most monasteries require you to enter the monkhood to do it.

It is no problem to make trips to Vientiane every 6 months and get a 2 entry tourist visa. That means 60 day entry 30 day extension, border run and another 60 + 30 then back to Vientiane. Lots of people are doing it.

thanks for all that invaluable info and time taken to type it,appreciate it...i owe you a pint or 2!!